Pixxelation

Refuse to Have Refusals!

On 9/11/2021 at 9:30 PM, missy_ said:

I'd like to see:

* Fertility increased to 100%, so that if you use a Purple, you are always guaranteed not to get a refusal

* Having refusals reset once a year sounds good to me, like on Valentine's Day or some other day. 

Bumping this topic and popular suggestion.

I'd very much like to see Fertility increased to 100% (has it been, yet?) and for some game mechanic to be introduced that would allow players to breed two dragons that have previously refused.

TLDR

#1 i know they are just pixels....

#2 removed

#3 I understand the frustrations of messing up a line

#4 isn't part of the refusal to do with the population % of x breed?  isn't that supposed to be why don't have thousands of the only the most rare and hard to breed dragons? Isn't that the kind of point to have a rare dragon/lineage is because they don't drop an egg very often? Not saying that common lineages can't be just as esteemed ...

Edited by purpledragonclaw

1 hour ago, ToadWitch said:

isn't part of the refusal to do with the population % of x breed?

Jumping in quick to say while this is how ratios work, it applies to egg or no egg results. As in, "they do breed, but no egg is produced" versus "they breed and an egg is produced".

Pair compatibility is its own entirely random variable, independent of breed.

Refusals and Rejections make sense as the very first post stated; each sentient creature doesn't always want to mate with as many as possible - even more so with Dragons given they are far more intelligent usually than regular animals, and even humans. Refusals should also happen if the Dragons are closely related to prevent inbreeding of course, though this warning usually goes away or is less of a problem after around 4-5 generations I'd say. On Flight Rising for example, if 2 dragons were related by blood due to a past relative, they have to be far enough down in generations for it not to matter - and I think it is 5 generations in this example, though I just flat out avoid inbreeding entirely on any game I play.

4 hours ago, Thorn4 said:

Refusals should also happen if the Dragons are closely related to prevent inbreeding of course, though this warning usually goes away or is less of a problem after around 4-5 generations I'd say. On Flight Rising for example, if 2 dragons were related by blood due to a past relative, they have to be far enough down in generations for it not to matter - and I think it is 5 generations in this example, though I just flat out avoid inbreeding entirely on any game I play.

Absolutely the heck not.

There is no reason to introduce MORE refusal mechanics especially not for something that has not been punished in-game at all for the entire duration the game has existed until now.  If you don't want to inbreeding that's entirely valid and your choice, but the game should not suddenly start causing refusals to prevent inbreeding when that has not been the case in the 10+ years the game has existed.

It would also absolutely kill any lineage that's deliberately inbred, and for no good reason seeing as these are pixel fantasy creatures.

That aside, a mechanic to remove or reduce or re-roll refusals doesn't always require a lore reason or grounding in reality.  There's this concept of "separation of story and gameplay" and applied to things like this it would mean "this doesn't make sense so much from a lore perspective but it's a quality of life features to reduce player frustration".

That is, sometimes a change that makes the game more enjoyable for plenty of users doesn't always need in-game or in-setting justification.  Obviously it's up to TJ if he wants a lore-based justification or not, but it's not something inherently required for a mechanic to be added or tweaked in a game.

13 hours ago, Thorn4 said:

Refusals and Rejections make sense as the very first post stated; each sentient creature doesn't always want to mate with as many as possible - even more so with Dragons given they are far more intelligent usually than regular animals, and even humans. Refusals should also happen if the Dragons are closely related to prevent inbreeding of course, though this warning usually goes away or is less of a problem after around 4-5 generations I'd say. On Flight Rising for example, if 2 dragons were related by blood due to a past relative, they have to be far enough down in generations for it not to matter - and I think it is 5 generations in this example, though I just flat out avoid inbreeding entirely on any game I play.

9 hours ago, KageSora said:

Absolutely the heck not.

There is no reason to introduce MORE refusal mechanics especially not for something that has not been punished in-game at all for the entire duration the game has existed until now.  If you don't want to inbreeding that's entirely valid and your choice, but the game should not suddenly start causing refusals to prevent inbreeding when that has not been the case in the 10+ years the game has existed.

It would also absolutely kill any lineage that's deliberately inbred, and for no good reason seeing as these are pixel fantasy creatures.

Absolutely agree. Don't you DARE kill my lines:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/MLhlP

https://dragcave.net/lineage/J7eUU

Or my lucky find: https://dragcave.net/lineage/q5iwX

A refusal-removal thread isn't the right place to suggest adding more refusals. TJ has also explicitly refused to make inbred or inbreeding dragons different from other pairs at all. And anyway, by human psychology logic, if anything should have more refusals it's dragons who were raised on the same scroll at the same time.

My thoughts:

1) Decreasing the effect of refusals is a good thing for gameplay. We already have purple dragons and their refusal-decreasing BSA PLUS the holidays and their ability to turn off refusals completely for one week a year, so it's not like these dragons are the height of judgement.

2) I wouldn't mind the month-long refusals, as people do change and dragon timespan is different from humans so a month could be years in lore. Plus it's a better signifier than the false hope of constant no-interests and lets people rebreed if they can't be bothered to wait or don't want to deal with subsequent low comparability from them, while giving flexibility to people who can't replace them. 

I’m okay with refusals but I’d like to see a mechanic where the potential partners can continue their search for a mate, instead of waiting a week to try again with someone else. Okay, he wasn’t my type, let’s find someone who is…

57 minutes ago, Stormfriend said:

I’m okay with refusals but I’d like to see a mechanic where the potential partners can continue their search for a mate, instead of waiting a week to try again with someone else. Okay, he wasn’t my type, let’s find someone who is…

I LIKE that ! Brilliant idea. After all - they didn't USE the action, so shouldn't be on CD.

2 hours ago, Stormfriend said:

This makes perfect sense.  It does seem crazy to have a week long cool down after a random "bad date".  Dragons clearly don't know about the rebound effect. 🤣

That makes sense.

Or at the very least, if a cooldown is mandatory, a shortened one.

On 5/13/2023 at 2:40 PM, ToadWitch said:

#2 most of the suggestions for the get rid of refusal mechanic sound quite verily like...um...Grapey culture...without the G.

"What if there was a BSA that made them forget they refused already, so they'd meet again like it was for the first time" is a whole lot less distressing in concept than quite a few other things we already have on the site. Like the whole "here, have a new baby every time it's physically possible so I can sell that baby for other babies" thing, and the "I'm gonna murder this baby in hopes of reviving it as a horrendous abomination of magic" thing, and the "5+ generations of as much inbreeding as possible because lol inbred" thing.