Pixxelation

Refuse to Have Refusals!

I'm getting tired of my CB holidays, GoNs and prizes refusing rares from which I only have 1 CB mate -.-

This:

I therefore refuse to refuse refusals. smile.gif
is all I have to say.

Sorry! biggrin.gif

Plus there's that little nudge of hope/fear when breeding a pair the first time...

I honestly hate this. Very much.

I'm working on a project involving striped dragons. Getting the right color with the whole no egg/interest is bad enough, but ok, I accept the challenge. If after years of working on this, getting lucky, getting the right color, they just go about and refuse, honestly, it's really annoying.

Yeah, I can try breeding... again, which can take several more months and then they might refuse again because it is a thing that happens. I've had dragons refusing a mate 3 times in a row, not one or two, quiet a few.

With unobtainables is even worse. I was only capable of getting another silver because a kind soul gifted me one after my only silver had refused BOTH my solstices.

In most games, even after you fail, you can try again. Refusals would be as if in Skyrim you'd enter a dungeon, die, and had that dungeon blocked forever, no option to restart the game or anything. A minor dungeon would not be much of a problem. If that dungeon involved getting an important quest piece it'd be a gamekiller.

I'm just popping in here because I noticed that your first rule includes a thing about breeding discontinued breeds. I hope that TJ doesn't make that official, because I breed my Bright Pink with my Frill all the time. They give me normal Pink dragons, which are inbred but I really like breeding them anyway.

Just something I thought I'd point out, that you can breed discontinued breeds but they won't get you the discontinued dragons. But you can still do it.

Oh yeah and I'd love it if refusals would slowly go away. It's painful to breed something that refuses its intended mate, or be gifted two things and then they hate each other. Very annoying.

Edited by silver_chan

Yup, my pairs are still refusing, so here's friendly bump for this very vital thread. ;3

Just finished testing my Xmas pairs that refused their mates before holidays, were mated to produce eggs and now tested again to see if refusals reset after holiday breeding season ends. Sadly, no joy for me - 4 pairs refused their mates before and continue to refuse them now.

I did get an option to breed them rather than the standard greyed out mate at the bottom of the mate scroll, but all of them refused anyway, so the result is the same. Did anyone else have some luck and managed to breed a pair that previously refused?

Edited by stagazer_7

Refusals are a mechanic that, although somewhat realistic, hurt the game and do nothing but frustrate the player. It's time for them to change or be retired from the site.

And after two refusals in a rather large and complex lineage project, I support the complete removal of refusals. Before, it never really bothered me, as I hadn't really gotten into lineages all that much, but now I completely see why so many people are fed up with this aspect of the game.

Edited by Labyrinthian

I would benefit from seeing refusals kicked from the game. Heck, the majority of people would benefit. I think it IS a time for a change. Refusals are very frustrating pieces of coding in this game.

I'm all for this, whether it's removing refusals altogether or just cutting back on them or the "re-familiarize" thing, whatever. I recently got my second ever CB Gaia Xenowyrm, and he flat-out refused his mate. Ugh, so frustrating! dry.gif

I was trying to breed a 2nd gen blue lunar for something the other day, pairing them with my alt Shadow Walkers (who are amenable souls and usually breed freely). I have 5 male blue lunars. Two were unusable due to being related to the one I was breeding a mate for. Of the other three... two refusals. One no egg.

I am beyond frustrated with refusals. I'll often breed already tried pairs first just because I don't want to risk the refusal - as in the example above.

I've been a supporter of various BSAs to ameliorate the issue up to this point. Now, with the cave being difficult to hunt due to not moving, the AP at high time eggs and the frustration of breeding and getting refusals, I'm ready to cry. Can't make much progress collecting things from anywhere.

I'm ready to say, take refusals out completely. At least then something would work as planned.

Honestly, instead of an outright refusal I would absolutely love it if we could have a line added onto the existing breeding results text to tell us something about the compatibility of the two dragons. For lack of a more apt comparison, like the way the "daycare man" tells you about the compatibility of your pokemon when breeding. It doesn't have to be precise; just a general indicator of whether the dragons like each other, hate each other, or don't really mind either way would be fine.

Honestly, instead of an outright refusal I would absolutely love it if we could have a line added onto the existing breeding results text to tell us something about the compatibility of the two dragons. For lack of a more apt comparison, like the way the "daycare man" tells you about the compatibility of your pokemon when breeding. It doesn't have to be precise; just a general indicator of whether the dragons like each other, hate each other, or don't really mind either way would be fine.

Do you mean checking dragon compatibility before breeding them? (sorry, last time I played Pokemon was during the Red/Blue/Yellow era and there was no option to breed them then, so I'm not sure how this works. ^^)

But I imagine that the closest thing to what you described are 'no interests' we get after breeding two dragons. I'm pretty ok with them, because even if they can be annoying, it's not a dead end like the refusals are. I completely agree with Fionna, refusals are getting to be beyond frustrating and if no solution (and there have been quite a few offered) could be implemented easily and would take too much work with programming and such, I say simply remove them. Yes, they weare a part of the game since forever and I'd rather see there'd be a compromise that would enable the players to work around them if needed then removing them completely, but if we can't have it both ways, then do away with them. sleep.gif

Edited by stagazer_7

Just had a 4g Gold from Ribbon Dancer checker refuse its mate. I traded for the gold and now I essentially paid for nothing. Also had a few 2g commons refuse their mates which, will easily solved, is annoying and feels like time wasted.

That being said, I'd still be ok with refusals as long as 1) we had a BSA to remove them, or 2) they were reset each Valentines Day, or 3) they didn't create permanent non breeding, but simply acted as a double length cool down when they happened (two weeks before you can breed them again).

But if none of those are done, then yes, removing them would be preferable to leaving things as they are.

I'm in support of something being done about refusals as well, having gone through similar situations as people above me have already explained (particularly, trading for something special and then having it refuse...).

I'm a lot more in favour of adding a BSA or action of some kind to help remove refusals when they do occur, but likewise I'm also quite happy to see the mechanism go altogether. It's an old gameplay mechanic that worked during the time it was made for- somewhere around 2008 and 2009 when lineages weren't even really thought about. But it just doesn't work with today's level of complexity involved in lineage building.

Support. No interest or no egg is OK (my dragons do it to me all the time anyway), but refusal... it's frustrating when making rare CB\holiday pairings, and totally evil when you're working on the big checker.

[*]Remove refusals from the game entirely, save for breeding temporarily incompatible pairs (Holiday x Holiday out of season, Holiday x Discontinued Breed out of holiday season, or Discontinued Breed x Discontinued Breed). I'd suggest changing this by not having out-of-season holidays/discontinued breeds show up on out-of-season holidays' and discontinued breeds' breeding lists, or giving a different message, such as, "These two dragons cannot breed at this time," allowing the user to breed the dragons again without them having to wait a week.

[*]Action, as suggested and explained by Marrionetta:

Suggestion: Action page addition.  "Re-familiarize."

Objective: Potentially removes refused mating relationship.  User is shown a list of refused mates, and may select one to attempt the action on.

Cooldown: 1 week. Can be performed in place of 'breed' action, if a user chooses.  Performing 'Re-familiarize' removes breed action for the week.

Nerf: Set chance of success/failure, after performing action, user is informed of outcome by appropriate flavor text.

Also bonus points if the action generates a picture of the two dragons with like a pile of meat and ugly wilted flowers laying between them. I have no idea what a dragon date would look like, but I imagine it's ridiculous.

Yes! Please, I would really like this. Refusals are so annoying.

From the list, I like these two ideas the best.

I don't like refusals. I can't see what they add to the game. It honestly makes me hesitant to breed harder to find dragons. I'm not great at catching and have very little worth trading, so I do most of my breeding myself and with AP catches. It's hard for me to trade for mates and I've had refusals destroy lineages I wanted to work on. I'd be very happy to see them done away with.

Refusals need to go bye bye. I've had quite a handful of potential lineages ruined because of crappy refusals that happen just because. In a game where a single dragon can stick to one mate and one mate only, it doesn't make sense for there to be an outright refusal forever.

From the help page on the Cave:

"Breeding allows you to obtain more eggs. When you breed a dragon, you will be presented with a list of eligable dragons of the opposite gender. Upon choosing a partner, you will be presented with the results of the breeding attempt. There can be several outcomes:

“The dragons refuse to even go near each other.”—This pairing of dragons is incompatible and will never breed successfully.

“The dragons don’t really show much interest in each other.”—The dragons are compatible, but are not a very good pairing. Note that there is a “spectrum” of compatibility; most pairings will occasionally show no interest, but it might occur more frequently for some pairs than others.

“You attempt to breed the two dragons, but no egg is produced.”—The breeding was not successful. You should try again after seven days.

“The two dragons breed to produce an egg.”—Success!

“The two dragons breed to produce several eggs.”—Breeding may sometimes produce up to four eggs, but you are only allowed to keep one from each batch. The other eggs that you decide not to keep will be abandoned automatically."

My deal is this is only after you breed them. Can/t we have something that can tell us beforehand?

I had a 4g Gold from Ribbon Dancer refuse his mate. The owner generously bred me another one, a month later... who, guess what? ALSO just refused her.

I'm still ok with keeping refusals as long as any means of reversing them is implemented (beating a dead horse, but I like the reconcile + harmonize combo), but if we can't get that then just get rid of the gosh darned things for good.

From the help page on the Cave:

"Breeding allows you to obtain more eggs. When you breed a dragon, you will be presented with a list of eligable dragons of the opposite gender. Upon choosing a partner, you will be presented with the results of the breeding attempt. There can be several outcomes:

“The dragons refuse to even go near each other.”—This pairing of dragons is incompatible and will never breed successfully.

“The dragons don’t really show much interest in each other.”—The dragons are compatible, but are not a very good pairing. Note that there is a “spectrum” of compatibility; most pairings will occasionally show no interest, but it might occur more frequently for some pairs than others.

“You attempt to breed the two dragons, but no egg is produced.”—The breeding was not successful. You should try again after seven days.

“The two dragons breed to produce an egg.”—Success!

“The two dragons breed to produce several eggs.”—Breeding may sometimes produce up to four eggs, but you are only allowed to keep one from each batch. The other eggs that you decide not to keep will be abandoned automatically."

My deal is this is only after you breed them. Can/t we have something that can tell us beforehand?

Vague explanation is vague, unfortunately. Personally I believe the 'spectrum' simply indicates whether the BREEDS work well together as opposed to individual dragons (and dearly hope this is true, as it would suck major to get a pair that didn't refuse, but oh, due to random chance will just be persnickety with each other /just because.../). While I don't have hard numbers to back up my belief, I've noticed many of my rare x rare combos give tons more 'no interests' then my common x common pairs do. While I suppose I could've just had really bad luck, I think that shows that it's just saying what we already know--your odds of getting an egg from a rare x rare breeding are pretty bad.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I've had so many lately that I'm just over it, get rid of refusals altogether.

At this point even with a way to reverse them it would take months or maybe years to undo the many hard to replace refusals I've had.

For me...if it involved low gen prizes, spriter alts, thuweds or high gen holidays they probably refused!

Refusals are a pain. I see absolutely no reason to have them in the game in the first place. We aren't dealing with living creatures, after all. I seem to remember seeing it said that refusals add a level of 'realism' to the game, but, honestly, I think it just adds an unnecessary level of annoyance. The chance of refusal is the reason I don't build or deal with checkers except for on very rare occasions. I don't mind no interest or no egg because, while disappointing, it doesn't mean there is absolutely no chance. I think the game could benefit greatly from removing refusals. If nothing else, it would cut down on a lot of player frustration.

I'm on the fence.

On one hand, I tend to lose interest in this game after a few months and become inactive for years at a time. This time around, I have lineage projects I've been working on and it's keeping my interest pretty high. Refusals are a pain, but I at least have something to do here now, what with having to replace the mate that refused.

On the other hand, I now have a very pretty 4g tin paperweight because he refused my only cb 09 Valentine. Now I can't do much with him. Find him a new mate sure, but it would break the lineage and the whole reason I have him on my scroll is because I like the lineage as it is.

So, I wouldn't mind if refusals were kept, but at least offer some way to reconcile. It doesn't have to have a 100% success rate. Just let people have a chance to use dragons they otherwise can't, because the dragon is holiday only and caveborns don't drop anymore.

I had a dozen pairs happily accept, all fairly easy to replace. But the last 3, all harder to replace, all refused. After another refused irritating-to-replace Silver LHs... twice.

So something does need to be done. I'd prefer a refusal reversal mechanism, but.... Would happily settle for just about anything at this point.

Cheers!

C4.

This topic is almost 2 years old now, and I haven't seen a single reply that would change my mind about this topic..... Refusals need to be totally removed from the game. Period!

There are absolutely ZERO benefits to having Refusals.

They add absolutely NOTHING to the game.. except frustration.

Almost Everyone HATES them.

So what's the point of keeping them?

It doesn't matter how you spin it, Refusals do nothing but frustrate and annoy players. They can make trades totally worthless. They can set breeding projects back for weeks or months at a time. And they serve absolutely NO purpose in regards to why people play this game to start with.

People play games to enjoy themselves and escape from reality for a little while. So when you get right down to it, most of us don't want the reality that refusals supposedly add to the game. That kind of reality is neither relaxing or enjoyable, and does nothing but raise the frustration levels of folk trying to have a little fun.