Viirin

Azure Wyrm

((My guess... A twig? Or something twiggy?))

Zeditha thought that the funny thing was scary, so she moved away. She flapped her newly-formed moving-things and started to moce like most things did. She decided to call it running. Flepping her wings, she found herself quickly airborne, but almost as quickly discovered she drifted downwards. Also, it made her hungry. She headed in the direction og the barred thing, aiming away from the scary thing.

Avisk would bother the spraying thing later. Once the hurt went away. With one eye closed and still hurting, the slime moved toward the colorful things back down the incline. It's one open eye made things harder to gauge the closeness of, but the swivel motion also entertained the slime and it find itself sitting still for a few moments just looking at everything a few times. It was funny. If that's what it was called.

But the slime opened the other eye back up. Colorful and sights came back. Two different pictures. Two different directions of looking. The previously hurt eye kept a view on the incline and what was behind itself, also marveling at the occasional change of color the new scales did from time to time. While the other eye looked forward to make sure the slime was going toward these interesting colorful things.

There was a sound coming from behind the slime, which worried it. Why was there sound again? At this point, the slime would have liked to just sit and eat the creatures. It still wasn't sure if it wanted to seek out sounds, or if they would only lead to pain. As the slime didn't know what to do, it simply chose to do stop and do nothing. What else could it do? It was trapped between two decisions: risk or safety, curiosity or caution. Was it even safe now? Everything was so confusing. Why did everything have to be so difficult?

The slime ended up trying to do something simple and easy: eat the last of the small creatures. However, when it tried to eat it the slime found that it simply couldn't. The web of tubes running through its body had seemed harmless before, but now they were preventing the slime from eating. Like a net, they stopped the creature from being pulled into the slime's body. Panic gripped the slime. It didn't yet understand concepts such as 'death', but there was a primal fear of not being able to eat, of starving to death. Even now, when it felt like it wouldn't be able to eat much more anyway, it felt the fear. Terror, really. This was even worse than the painful feeling of being ripped apart.

As it panicked, the slime felt something new. Underneath the hard cavity thing that held its hearing things grew a U-shaped hard thing. It curved around and was connected at each end to the hard thing above it. Two sharp, rectangular things grew upwards from this new hard thing, and two similar ones grew downwards from the cavity-thing. This wouldn't have been helpful on its own, but then a gash opened up between the new thing and the cavity thing. Tubes were cleared from this gash, being pushed aside to leave a thin tube of slime into the main body of the slime.

Eager to try anything to eat food, the slime tried clamping a piece of the small creature between its new rectangular things. Surprisingly, the rectangular things sliced easily through the creature's flesh. With a small jerk, the slime ripped a piece of flesh away and swallowed it. Relief flooded through the slime. This new method of eating seemed to be incredibly inefficient, but at least it worked. Anything was better than not being able to eat at all.

Finished eating the small creature, the slime crawled over to the larger creature that had attacked it. It hadn't moved in awhile; surely it was safe. How could something that wasn't moving be dangerous? The slime started to rip away a piece of the large creature, but then decided not to. The creature was so similar to the small creatures that it wasn't worth eating, and the slime wasn't hungry anyway. Instead, it turned its attention back to the noise. The slime was still wary, but going through that much emotion in a short space of time had made it reckless. On an impulse, it headed towards the sounds.

((The slime grew a jaw, gopher teeth, and a sort of early esophagus and stomach.))

The slime grew ears and whiskers. And then grew that tail thing it used to sting him. He saw a thing He fought with it using his teeth and stung it using that tail thingy. Finally killing it with a couple more stings and bites. He then ate it and while that was happening he grew a thing a sac for organic material that broke it down and made them more useful. Giving him more energy and material to work with. He then did what was apparently called "sleep".

(Right now he looks like a mini this with a scorpion tail)

OOC @ Soulking: I haven't updated you since a few posts ago, because you didn't react to the story I posted for you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Zeditha: The air moved again, against the slime, but this time the air was wet- it had little specks of wet in it, at least. Then the air got stronger for a moment, but then it didn't move. What was this? The answer was wet. It was wet, coming from up! The organic's sticky-outy-things blocked some of it, but no where near enough to even pretend to be shelter. The wet falling all over everything didn't help the slime stay or get airborne; though it did make the scary thing start moving. Then again, the brown (green) parts of the nearby organics moved the same way when the wet drops hit them.

@Avisk: The slime couldn't see as far up the incline as it needed to; the further away it looked, the blurrier things got until it was indistinct. The inorganic spray came once more from above the visible part of the incline, but that was it.

The slime felt wet. A tiny tiny bit of wet. Was it its imagination? But no, it was wet. Then it saw a drop of wet hit a nearby inorganic, making some dust displace. Then another, and another. Then it seemed as though the entire up tore open and little drops of wet fell everywhere and on everything!

@Delta: The sound continued. Getting toward the entrance of the hole where it first went into the tunnel let the slime know that the sound came from everywhere at once. A soft sound, but pervasive. Also, the ground was wet, but not mud. Okay, a little.

Poking outside, but still under the thing the slime first broke itself on, revealed that the organic was wet all over, but not by much. But getting wetter faster. The wet dripped off of one of the flat parts onto the slime. There was so much movement! But with so much to pay attention to, the slime didn't know what to look at at all. Everything everywhere was getting wet, except for under stuff that was dense enough to block the wet falling from up.

The slime was a bit disappointed that the sound didn't lead to new food, but at least there wasn't any pain. However, it didn't know what to do. There was sound and movement everywhere, so where to go? The wet that was falling was somewhat annoying, and a bit cold. It wasn't that bad, though, and the slime didn't mind that much. It started to walk forward, lost and unable to find out what to do. Suddenly, it hit something hard and rough. The pain of crashing into it, while the slime wasn't happy about it, wasn't so bad and subsided quickly. The slime started to nibble on it, finding it much harder to bite than the creatures had been. Still, it managed to chew off a piece, and found it to be familiar. It wasn't yet boring, but it wasn't new, either. There wasn't much else to do, anyway. Eventually chewing on the thing got boring, though, so the slime started to walk away from it. As it did so, it seemed like more drops of wet were hitting the slime. It tried to ignore the wet, but it was a bit bothersome. The slime then ran into something else. It was, strangely, very smooth, thin, and flexible. Experimentally biting it, the slime could taste that it wasn't organic. It tried to spit the shred out, but it ended up swallowing it instead. Not worrying about it or interested in the object, the slime turned to leave. However, as it did so its back end hit something organic. It seemed to have been within the inorganic, and had been exposed when the inorganic had been torn. Curious, the slime turned back around to find out was the organic was.

((The slime found a garbage bag.))

The wetness hitting the slime with more speed scared Avisk a bit. It was more than it understood at the moment. And it reminded the slime of the stinging hurt from the spray. The multiple pictures from the moving orbs on its head showed its own body becoming covered in wet. Droplets of it slid off. The needles between the scales occasionally caught the droplets and shifted them to other places. The scales did the same. But the scales also tried to mimic the color and only succeeded in mimicing the reflected color of the up. Which was weird. Splotches of the slime where 'up colored' while the rest was a mixture of the surroundings. The slime concluded that wasn't normal. But what was then?

Avisk ventured onward. Dodging the wet from up as best it could sometimes as a little game. It probably looked really weird, trying to hop or roll away from the bigger droplets of up. The scaly flexible blob of slime probably looked weird anyways. Needle-thorns poking out sometimes of the scales or were otherwise flush with those scales. The scales themselves changed color, which, after this getup, was odd in itself. Or normal. Depending on how one looked. The eyes too. The eyes moved in their own directions. They swiveled this way or that depending on what caught the attention. Each side focusing on another thing. Double information. How Avisk processed that was yet to be seen. It was odd for the slime too. But the slime knew no different.

One eye focussed on the color-changing, pokey-but-not, shifting, water-droplet collecting, scales all over itself. It could still feel the slime that rested underneath this armor of sorts. That slime was still a part of it and could absorb all it wanted just like before. To the slime this new armor wasn't different. It was helpful. But still allowed it to be slime. The other eye focussed still on these interesting colorful things ahead of it. They were getting more close too as the slime progressed. But what were they? And what was it going to do about that spray back up the incline afterword? That worried the slime a little. The spray would be dealt with though. Even just to satisfy the curiosity of what it was.

Zeditha decided to be brave, and land on top of the scary thing. Steeling herself for it, she folded her new air-moving-things - she decided to call them wings - and dropped onto it. Her new ground-moving-things tore into the scary thing with the sharp things on the ends, and she moved them so that the scary thing seemed to move away from itself. There was something inside, so warily, she moved inside it. The wet didn't get here. The scary thing itself wasn't organic, but there were things inside. She found it hard to see, so she waited, somehow knowing she would be able to see soon.

((PM a form to Viirin. Forms are, of course, on the first post.))

((Can I join?))

Yes. Just PM me a character sheet and when I get time this week, I'll write your introduction story, as well as the other new joining players (3 this week including you, very glad). Not able to update daily like I want, but I update as soon as I can every chance I get.

Also PM Dragonhatchling if I don't update after 4 days. Today's an exception smile.gif I'll try to do it tomorrow.

((Yep, feel free to pm me and I'll do my best to post an update that day or so. But do also give Viirin here a chance smile.gif

but if anyone needs anything, I'm around.))

The janitor at the "Ecological Genetics" lab got to work at his usual time at 7pm. But seeing that it had a sign outside saying it was out of business didn't please him much. He took out his key and unlocked the door, went inside, picked up the closest experimental vial (it happened to be sitting on a nearby computer console next to the coffee pot) and left with it- making sure the door was locked as he exited.

His phone rang, and the text let him know his dealer was waiting at the beach for him at a snack bar that served syrupless pancakes and ice cream-less ice cream cones. The text didn't give those details, it was already known because everyone hated them.

It took awhile to get there, but he eventually arrived and hung out behind the snack bar until the meeting took place. He had brought the vial with him, and stood it up on its side beside him, in the sun.

"Dude, what's that jar? You aren't gonna try to pay me with it, are you?"

"You know what this is?"

"Yeah. It's a-" the dealer punted the sample container holding a slime, and it spun through the air, hit the side of a trash can, broke in half, and the half holding the slime fell inside.

@Pyrellium: Warm. The slime activated from its proto stage and came to life, and felt warm. And enclosed. Whatever had it trapped was inorganic and smooth, and there was no way out. Then it felt a strong push from... the other side of the inorganic? Then it was violently shoved from one end of the enclosure to the other back and forth a bunch of times, then it suddenly stopped, and it tasted something salty when the slime became free somehow. It fell a short distance, and tasted something organic, and felt other organic things with strange shapes all around it.

Quoted stuff for Silverphoenixx to make it easier to find to respond to.

Quoted stuff for Silverphoenixx to make it easier to find to respond to.

((I've already responded to that, but if you mean you don't like the response I can redo it. I had previously only edited some things. Unless my memory is wrong and I didn't actually edit? In which case, I will edit the stuff.))

((Putting the post here:))

The slime rolled around in the small space, finding that it was quite small. While it was exploring, it tasted many things, one of them being a oily salty stick. It rolled back to where the stick was, and found more of the sticks. The sticks were soon gone though, and the slime rolled again trying to find something edible. It came upon a long slightly stringy object and digested it. ((The stringy thing is a banana peel. Not really sure how to describe it.)) Still not satisfied, the slime rolled around once more. This time, it rolled up on to a material that seemed to make it more elevated. It continued to roll, looking for food. The slant of the material became steeper and suddenly there was no more of the material. The slime felt a strong breeze going in a upwards direction before it hit a gritty surface comprised of many orbs.

The slime rolled across the hard gritty surface for a while before touching something hard and scuttly. The thing seemed edible, and slime was hungry, so it absorbed the thing. After finding that it made the strange empty hungriness go away a little, the slime searched for more of the scuttly things. It rolled a bit before finding itself in the salty liquid again. The salty liquid felt a bit too salty for the slime, so it moved onto the dry gritty surface again. The slime felt a dip in the gritty surface below it, and followed it. To the slime's delight, there was another scuttly thing at the end of the dip. Digesting the other scuttly thing, it rolled some more along the dip, but was met with a block in its path. There seemed to be no more food so the slime simply moved back the way it came. The slime then found another edible object. It was a bit knobby and had five points. It didn't move around like the scuttly things, so the slime absorbed it easier.

Suddenly a sharp pointy thing knocked the slime over. The sharp pointy thing poked it a few times, before a bigger sharp pointy thing poked the slime. It tried to digest the pointy thing, but it kept moving away too fast.

Then, the slime was grasped by some long rough limbs and felt a strange weightlessness. The slime tried rolling around, but the limbs gripped it too tightly. The limbs seemed edible though, so the slime got to work digesting it. The slime couldn't hear, but after starting to digest the limbs, whatever was lifting the slime gave a screech and fell downwards. The slime fell with the thing and landed on it. A bit disturbed, but not hurt, the slime started digesting the softer surface that it was now on. The thing then flung the slime back into the salty liquid.

((Is this better?I have some questions: #1 Can the slime digest things like paper? Because the paper was a tree once, but got modified, I don't know if it's considered organic. #2 Is the trash can next to the beach? Also, the creature was meant to be a bird, a seagull to be more specific. Can I keep that part?))

((End of post))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

OOC @ Silverphoenixx: Seagulls are jerks. So, yes. I thought you were going with a human child, so had to stop you at this story point- we'll eat people later. Or another slime who ate people so you don't have to. Anyway. To answer your first question, yes you can digest paper because it's organic, but if you get an unlock from it, it won't be from the tree it originally came from. It would be paper. One other player a few years ago unlocked the ink used.

Processed materials unlock themselves, not their origin. Unless it's an event reward, specifically the Halloween "Treat" reward. That's how you can unlock rock candy, as an example, and not just the fact it's sugar. That's really the only way to unlock sugar as armor. Someone did actually request this one year which is why I'm revealing it- just they didn't post an update or PM within the span of the event, so they didn't qualify to receive it. All event information is available at the Escapist, which I posted about earlier (just reminding).

Also, good post, got nice and caught up smile.gif Writing about half that from now on might be good though, so there's a chance for interruptions, and other stuff. Best for now, until you develop various senses, to not mention stuff you'd need that sense to know (like the stupid seagull screeching like a jerk. Hey, I'm from California. Seagulls like to attack people and steal their sandwiches and bags of chips out of their hands and fly off with them. Jerks.)

Also thanks for stuffing the repost in there, makes it easy on me!

====================================================

@Delta: The inorganic flimsy skin was generally tasteless except for some rancid.. something. But tearing it off of the main clump revealed something inside, that looked odd. Odd because it was glowing and its light made everything inside slightly easier to see, which was nice since the amount of light everywhere else suddenly split in half. Part of the thing looked ruptured somehow, the glowing liquid spilling out a little. The wet continued falling. Other things were in the inorganic, none of it looking organic, but interesting anyway. Barely visible, something might actually be organic in there after all, it was at least furry.

@Zeditha: The ambient light decreased a lot for some reason. Everything was harder to see, as if it wasn't difficult enough! Some parts of the inorganic felt hard and semi-pointy underneath; the rest of it felt smooth but hard. The inorganic itself shifted effortlessly and slid over whatever was under it. One side of the inorganic, now that the slime had landed on it, revealed itself as being easily entered. The rest looked sealed, kind of like the... portals! Maybe this one could bring the slime somewhere else like the others had.

@Avisk: The brightly-colored things aimed their heads at the ground when the wet hit them in the face, but exactly why wasn't known. Maybe they were weak, or were doing some funny dance? The slime hadn't seen other things do this, but it also hadn't seen anything other than itself get hit with this up-wet.

@Pyrellium: (unlocked: starfruit fruit- this is the five-pointed thing, hermit crab gills- they drown in water and also air but breathe humidity, banana leaf- random unlock from the DNA) The slime hadn't even absorbed enough of the creature to figure out what it was, not still being full of the scuttly creatures it was still in the midst of absorbing. Took up too much internal space to be able to jam other things into itself, especially of that size! The salty liquid was awful, and tasted like things that shouldn't be there were in it. Other liquids, to be specific. Exactly what they were was still unknown at this point.

Edited by Viirin

Deciding quickly, Zeditha began to move herself into the portal. Thinking quickly, though, she grabbed a piece of the scary thing. It had broken easily enough earlier. She took a piece in her hard open-close-thing - she decided to call it a beak - and kept hold of it. Maybe it would be useful later? Anyway, this done, she pushed her new body through the opening.

Avisk moved under a clump of one of the weird faced-down colorful things as the up-wet continued. They blocked some of the up-wet by doing this. Doing this also allowed the slime to get a closer look. They weren't all the same color. Not even on themselves where they the same color. And for whatever reason, some of the scales closer to those colors changed to match. A few even matched some of the darker patches.

The slime peeked out from underneath the clump, immediately hit by more up-wets. It wanted to know what caused the up-wets too but knew that was out of the question. It couldn't get up there where they came from. Not from down here. Or could it?

Avisk started to bend over a few of the colorful things, trying to use them to climb up closer to the up-wets. This only succeeded in getting more up-wets on it. But also seemed to accidentally start degrading the colorful bendy things it had started to match colors of. The slime had forgotten about that for a moment in its curiosity. It could still absorb stuff through the scales while moving around. It still tried to get closer to the up-wets though, stretching a little before one of the colorful-bendy things broke. That jolted the small creature and sent it tumbling a little. One of the colorful things was gone too. Had it done that?

Avisk went back over to the partially broken clump of colorfuls. It wasn't exactly a clump anymore. One colorful was missing, the two others were broken from the slime's weight and partially gone as well. Might as well finish the job then right? But the up-wets still continued to slam all over.

((Delta is still blind. I wasn't planning on giving it eyes for awhile, but I could if that would make it easier to write descriptions of stuff. Do you want me to give it eyes?))

The slime crawled into the flimsy ripped thing to better get at the organic it had tasted. It reached forward and grabbed it between its rectangular things, biting down and swallowing a piece. It didn't taste very good- parts of it were overly sweet, and other parts were rancid. The rancid part seemed to be coating the sweet part, and was fuzzy. The sweet part, on the other hand, was wet and mushy. It wasn't boring, but surely there were better things to eat. Taking a step forward to try to find something else, the slime's foot landed in something wet. The wet wasn't organic, but it was still very interesting. The slime leaned down to eat some of the wet, but found that wet was actually difficult to pick up. The slime managed to eat some of it, but most seemed to stick and drip off of the outside of the slime. It was irritating. The slime then felt something growing- it was long, thin, forked at the end, and grew inside of the slime's mouth. The slime could move this new thing, and the new thing could be dipped into the wet to pick the wet up easier.

When the slime couldn't find any more easily accessed interesting wet stuff, it started to search for other things. It bumped against a small cylinder and grabbed it in its mouth. The slime couldn't seem to be able to cut through the cylinder, so it just tried to swallow it. This was difficult, because the cylinder was a bit too big to swallow easily, but the slime managed. As it searched for other stuff, it brushed against something furry.

((The slime grew a tongue.))

The slime disliked the salty liquid, but after a bit of rolling, couldn't seem to get out of it. Seeing as the slime could not get out of the salty liquid, it focused on developing something to cover itself against it. The slime took some of the digested scuttly things and worked on using them as mass for a covering. Slowly, it grew a thin, waterproof, covering. This helped it free up internal space, but made it slightly less satisfied. However, since the covering was not complete yet, it couldn't move. Finally, after some length of time, the covering thickened enough to allow moving without tearing. Sensing this, the slime started rolling in search of more things to digest. As it had a covering now, it was much less bothered by the salty liquid. Rolling in a direction, it soon bumped into a surface with many small, soft, points. The surface seemed to be digestible, so the slime digested the part that was accessible to the opening in its covering. Now that the slime was content again, it used some of the five pointed things to form a ridge along its body.

((Waterproof covering is from banana leaf, the thing with small soft points is a mossy rock. The slime basically looks like a green circle with a ridge and a mouth opening.))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

@Jak: The creatures stopped struggling once the slime began absorbing them- or maybe just the vibrating parts were dissolved first and they couldn't do that. But they quickly stopped struggling but were still present while the slime continued absorbing them. Then something fell from up into a nearby fluffy green organic.

Jak turned towards the thing that had fallen. Although the thing that the green struggling creatures were interested in was delicious, his short attention span had caused him to completely lose interest in it. Walking with his stubby, improvised legs, he approached the thing that had fallen and regarded it curiously. Was it organic? Was it not? There was only on way to find out. He nuzzled it gently, wanting to see if it would move.

@Backup77: No, that's cool! I just keep forgetting you don't have eyes yet. Must think of... okay, there's a blind samurai that just showed up in One Piece, so I'll have to remember that way.

@Zeditha: Kind of a gruesome image, sorry. But it does get you your Event Reward DNA and Event Reward Color Pattern at the same time.

@Silverphoenixx: I assume the ridge is from your bonus DNA- seasnake spine?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Avisk: (unlocked: pansies) The organics surprisingly didn't actually have all that much flavor. Nor were they all that durable. But it was enough to satiate the slime's hunger, or at least as much as it had for the time being. After absorbing the plants into itself but before they were fully digested, a bright stripe briefly appeared far above the slime, amidst the dark sky.

@Delta: The rectangular inorganic thing within the slime's... slime felt funny. It was doing something, the slime could tell. It wasn't purely smooth, part had the texture of fur, but obviously wasn't because it was hard. But flaky. It more or less came off as the slime tried digesting it. But it hurt too! The slime could also tell that something was happening to its wet-getting thing, but didn't know what. At least that wasn't uncomfortable.

@Pyrellium: (unlocked: algae) The slime was suddenly in pain as it finished the beginning of its ridge. Extreme hunger! It had been slightly hungry and refilled itself on the slick stuff on the smooth inorganic thing, but then it came back for some reason. The wet pulled the slime out, further from the ground, but then it bumped into more ground that seemed raised. Like it was a long, long amount of ground, then wet ground, then a long deep pit, then a raise again. Bumping into it because of the motion of the wet hurt- it was being poked by things. Funny shaped things, that were long and pointed, and seemed inorganic... but...

@Jak: It didn't move, except for the slime making it move when poking it a little hard. It had the tiniest bit of flavor in most places, but one spot that the wet hadn't hit yet was pretty exciting! There were a few other pieces of the exciting, thin, flat, rectangular sticks laying nearby, but they were partially covered with something that the slime couldn't tell if it was organic or not. After a couple seconds, something else fell and just managed to miss the slime before denting into the ground and apparently getting stuck there. Something shiny and round... ish. It was a cylinder shape like the thing the slime first came from. Then something else fell nearby but to the side of the slime, and a little in front of it. Something white and... well partially white.

@Zeditha: So much organic! The slime never found this many organic creatures, and all of them... okay a good majority of them... bigger than the slime itself was. Also there were different ones, totally different from each other. All cold, hard, and immobile- dead. Long dead. A couple of the creatures were closer than the rest of them, not mangled and moldy and fused together into an incomprehensible shapeless mass.

((Assuming the things are coral. It could also be a sea urchin or rock though so I'll stick to caution. Also, the ridge was meant to just be a thing from the star fruit, but a spine is a better idea so I'll go with that.))

The inorganic organic things were making the slime confused. It wanted to digest things, but the pointy inorganic organic was hurting the slime and seemed unappetizing. Suddenly, a long slimy thing hit the slime ((piece of seaweed)) and pressed it against the pointy thing harder. The slime attempted to roll, but the liquid and the long slimy thing kept it in place. A piece of the long slimy thing touched an opening in the slime's covering and the slime found that it was organic. Quickly digesting the long slimy thing so it didn't press it against the pointy thing more, it managed to roll away when the liquid wasn't pressing so hard. Still hungry, the slime tried to find food as it slowly sank to the ground. However, the ground wasn't made of little orbs anymore. It seemed more rough with a few ridges.

((The slime has landed on a clam))

((Calico and rabbit ears. Thanks! smile.gif))

Zeditha decided - after peering round to make sure there were no dangers - that she may as well start by absorbing the organics nearby. She aimed first for the larger of the nearest two, which had many different colours in a ragged pattern that she liked. As soon as she moved over it, she changed her own colours to a similarly-patterned hodgepodge of red (fire ant), Black (Black widow spider), White (Yucca flower), Green (((Which is brown lol))Acorn) and yellow (From the cat), with some splashes of neon orange.(She unlocked some neon orange as she went into the bottle, I recall.) She named the colours as she made them appear on herself, feeling proud of the names. This done, she absorbed as much of the creature as she could be bothered to before moving to the other creature.

((I decided I'd make the post a bit longer by not waiting to gain the colours. I assume that's OK?))

Jak was confused. Too many things dropping down at once. He couldn't tell what was edible, and what wasn't. He wanted to try everything, but he wasn't sure it was safe. Deciding that the rewards would outweigh the risks, he moved and tried to engulf the flat, thin thing. He touched it and tried hard to engulf it. Nothing happened. The thing couldn't get inside him. the exoskeleton he had made wouldn't let the thing get inside him. He moved his position so he was staring directly at the thing. He bumped into it over and over, trying to get it in. Slowly, the front of his body, where his eyes were started to hurt. Like a small cut. The pain spread over a small area, causing him to flinch back. After a while, the pain subsided. the front of his face had grown two objects, with a hole in between them. Happiness surged through him as he realized he had the thing the shiny-greens had used to bite him with. He could eat the thing now. Moving forward, he chomped down on the flat rectangle.

((I'm assuming the bright strip is the clouds splitting to create sun-sky and no up-wets...)

The slime wondered what the bright stripe was as the upwets started to dissipate a bit. There were more of the pansy flower things all over, but Avisk remembered the spraying thing before. It wanted to know what that was still. Should it go back? That was back up the hill and the slime had no true desire to eat anything at the moment. But it did hold curiosity for the spray. These flowers would still be here if it wanted to come back.

So the slime headed the other direction again- both eyes pointed forward this time instead of one on its back. The scales unknowingly shifted colors as the slime began the trek back up the hill. Avisk found it harder to get up the incline than going down, but pushed on. Hopefully the spraying thing was still around, though, not aiming to kill the slime itself. The last thing it wanted was to be stingy in the things that allowed it to see.