Viirin

Azure Wyrm

Zeditha decided she didn't want to continue absorbing the pleap. It was too much effort. However, she headed towards the tapping - she wanted to know what it was, and maybe eat it, before she was too big for it to be useful.

((How big is she now? Fox-size, cat-size, etc...))

OOC

@Avilae: Yep! How I updated:

Read my previous post, to see what was going on. See who responded and how, then read what Dragon said. Then read that response, then posted.

@Zeditha: About the size of an adult cat. Just under that. And not a Maine Coon! Those are huge. Normal cat size, maybe around Sphinx.

Edited by Viirin

The shine appeared again and disappeared. Avisk continued toward it, very curious to see what made the source. It still wondered if it could do that too. Maybe it was some weird trick of the brighter source that had been outside. Or maybe it happened naturally. Maybe it was just the slime's imagination. The slime wasn't sure. All it knew was that it kept going down a darker and darker place where it could barely see anymore. That much alone unnerved it. But also spurred the slime on further. The thought that its own sight orbs might be able to do that was intriguing but odd. How come it couldn't see that itself?

((OOC: All right, thanks. I just wasn't sure because in the last post my slime had ascended a ridge (or something similar) and there wasn't any reference of that in your reply))

Aster had already consumed the hard organic material when it ran into the nasty, salty, decaying yuck beneath it. It definitely did not want to eat something that tasted so terrible after the sweet it had absorbed before, but it felt the instinct to nevertheless. It absorbed some of it, trying to digest it quickly before it could taste too much, but before too long the decay became too much for it and it gave up. The fact that Aster was still partially full from the sweet it had just eaten likely also influenced its decision to stop eating the awful-tasting organic. Instead it decided to explore further and maybe find something that tasted better.

As Aster headed away from the awful organic, it didn't get far before it had to stop again. Brightness came over its two frontal orbs, causing them pain. Aster tried to alleviate the pain that flooded its front, but that was difficult as it hadn't grown eyelids yet. Small ones were forming now in response to the stimulus, but it would take a little while until they could cover its frontal orbs fully. Finally Aster managed to turn its body away and get some relief, but once the pain went away it quickly found itself turning back to the source of the bright. Maybe it could find out what caused it, after all, and make it go away. When it turned back towards it, however, the bright no longer caused the frontal orbs so much pain, and instead the slime eagerly tried to get more of itself in the bright, wanting to experience more of the new sensory experience that had just opened up to it. While Aster did so, it noticed that another new sense that had opened up for it as well - a sense that seemed to emanate from two small holes that had opened up just behind its frontal orbs.

((OOC: Aster grew earholes. Also, I'm not sure how much light there's supposed to be in its location, which was one of the reasons I'd held off using the eyes until now, but I figured there'd be at least a little, so . . . ))

((OOC: Hi everyone! I've been accepted, just wanted to get stuck in already since I'm a bit behind.))

---

The subject felt like it had already been killed. This place was simply too hot; it could feel the top of it begin to deform from the baking sun overhead. It flopped around, swaddling half of its exterior membrane in a thick coating of inorganic matter before creeping off in search of shade, navigating by sensing the temperature of the ground nearby. It did so for an age, for as yet time had no meaning for it; there was just an ever-present rolling now, a living moment that Was and Is and Would Be all at once. It was operating on sheer stimulus-response... and that would have to do for now.

OOC @ColorCodedChaos:

@Dragonhatchling, Avilae: I updated your stories at work, but it didn't post. I'm gonna try to recover it tomorrow.

smile.gif I'll get your intro post up, right now. I know I said an hour, and it's after that, but I was busy playing Pokemon and eating an entire bag of chips while staring at the librarian. I'm paying attention now. I will take what you wrote into account of your area though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A truck in bad repair barreled down the desert road, no longer ripe for scenery, but for garbage trucks to dump their loads off the side of the road. Was simple. Took no time at all. How the slime canister got there or when wasn't important. It was there, unbroken, halfway up the trash mound. A piece of metal reflected light at a magnifying glass which aimed at the canister. It had been heating that way for almost half an hour. As the truck passed, one of its hubcaps came off and rolled down the road at high speed, bounced off the embankment, and into the trash pile, dislodging a plastic bottle and allowing the canister to slide down and crash into a rock and break. A bottle of old applesauce fell halfway over and spilled onto the debris.

@Drasilus: The slime activated, coming to life, or waking up, for the first time. Hot. Really hot! But only in one little spot. It didn't have a front, or side, or back- but one point on it hurt a lot from the hot. It was hot around that spot too, but not as bad. But the hot was inorganic, and smooth, and durable. The slime could do nothing. But something shifted, the slime felt the vibrations of it through the cylinder it was apparently in. It slid somewhere, and then sped up for a short moment and spun half a turn- and felt hot all over. Little pieces of jagged inorganic poked into and splashed onto the slime, the cylinder no longer keeping the slime against the hot point.

Then something gooey poured onto the slime. At least it tasted good!

Edited by Viirin

The subject began to feed. Well, feed is a relative term; it could tell that the goop dripping on it was beneficial, and so let the nutrients within pass through its membrane. The long-chain sugars were easy enough to recognise, and it began to associate the sweet taste with "good". That it was able to develop a concept of "good" probably had something to do with the very hot area on a small portion of its membrane, acting as "bad".

Fortified by the slow drip-feed of complex carbohydrates, the slime began to move. Spread would probably be a better word for it, though. It sank into itself, the hot area designated "bad" slowly getting thinner and thinner as more of it bunched up towards the "good" drip. Suddenly, disaster! The hot area was gone, but there was a split in the membrane and itself was becoming not-itself! It began to seal itself up, powering the production of new membrane cells with its newfound energy, courtesy of the "good" thing. The good thing could make the nothingness go away too!

This was something of a major philosophical breakthrough for the subject, so it rested, content to lap up as much of the "good" thing as it could while it mulled over the theological implications of good and bad as concepts. Good, it eventually decided, was organic, life-giving, nothingness-repairing. Bad was inorganic and heat and nothingness and nothingness-creating things. It was something that had served mankind for a while, but the subject didn't know that.

Were the subject to have any experience with Judaeo-Christian creation myths, it might have been amused by the irony of its good thing being an apple. Then again, it would have had to have understood what both an apple was and irony was, something not even humans get right all the time.

---

((OOC: Rain on your wedding day in-flamin'-deed. Hasn't she heard of Wales? It doesn't stop raining for your wedding day there! It doesn't stop raining at all!

((But yeah, tl;dr version: Drasilus ingested the apple sauce and moved away from the hot thing, becoming a sort of happy trash doughnut.))

OOC: I'll update everyone tomorrow after work.

But I wanted to congratulate ColorCodedChaos on her Event request, because it's actually one of the hidden special thingies I was hoping someone would find, but would never talk about unless it was an Information event reward, and something in the player's current story would warrant it.

Also, some players have now made requests that nearly force me to activate the Culling the Numbers story event. What is that?

Characters that had been inactive for at least a year have all been retired. It doesn't matter for this thread, but I consider all characters to have ever existed to still be alive, doing their own thing. Just no longer under control of their players. Many of these will be met in-game, and current slimes can kill them permanently and absorb all their unlocks.

I'm trying to hold on until October to do this, because it might just make my Halloween event more awesome. What is the annual Azure Wyrm Halloween Event? Dragonhatchling has participated somewhere between four and eight times, but I'll say it anyway. If I don't pay attention fast enough, she knows everything.

Halloween Event: PM me or post an update in the thread between 11:59 Oct 30 and 0:01 Nov 1 in whatever time zone I live in at the time (which'll probably be GMT-7) and you get to make a request. Choose either:

Trick: You can choose a gland to grow, or a new skin color gained by chemical dye or food coloring. Diseases, poisons, and chemicals are all valid. Chemicals that have elemental natures are acceptable.

Treat: You can choose a type of candy or other sweet treat of any kind. You can unlock sugar glands, chocolate (yes you can be living chocolate, ladies) colors from dyed sugar, or abilities from the plants and animals used (like you eat chocolate and can grow bull horns because cow milk is used and it doesn't matter what gender something was because you might get an unlock from the other gender; like sometimes you eat maggots and unlock fly parts because it's the same species).

Generally, people unlock everything possible from event rewards, and some unlocks are Event-Only. This includes Information of course, but also someone wanted to get Rock Candy so they could grow hardened sugar as armor. A specific shape of a manufactured good would definitely count as Event-Only. Boost your imaginations, and let me know on Halloween (when you're here for Dragon Cave eggs anyway) what you want. Not before!

Edited by Viirin

OOC: Viirin, do you mind telling us what requests made you feel like you had to activate the Culling the Numbers event and why? Secondly, I did PM you my event requests but you haven't updated my profile with the information even though you've updated some of the others recently, did you not get it? I can send it to you again or just tell you here in my next post if you prefer.

Also, sorry I didn't ask this before, but can I assume the DNA of the banana tree and plant Aster unlocked earlier is the normal store variety and not, say, the wild banana or one of the exotic varieties?

I personally don't mind waiting until Halloween to get my event requests. I was actually hoping you'd wait a little while to give me mine anyway, so my slime could become a little more complex first. I can't speak for the other players though.

Edited by Avialae

((Just wanted to interject here: All eight times I've participated, so I definitely know the Halloween event smile.gif

The Culling the Numbers event sounds interesting.... hopefully Avisk can handle it.... and if Sevak comes along in here at some point (I don't know if we're ever gonna "merge" those games) then Avisk is in trouble if they meet xd.png))

Edited by Dragonhatchling

((What does 'hermit crab chirp' mean? Does it mean that the slime knows how to make the noise?))

The slime was bothered by the small things and movements of the liquid, although less so by the small things. Attempting to move, the slime wriggled and propelled itself forward a small distance. Trying the same movement, the slime found that it could move more. But it then felt the tug of the liquid pulling it back, reversing all of its previous progress. Slightly dissatisfied, it continued to wriggle until it reached a reasonable distance. It felt strange after all the wiggling. The inside of it felt bad, all achy and sore. It didn't like this new feeling, so it continued to move in an attempt to "escape" the feeling. However, wriggling made the feeling more intense. The slime was disoriented by the feeling. Why was it not going away? It had never experienced anything affecting the inside of it so it had simply assumed that all bad feelings could be moved away from. The liquid started to pull it back again and the slime simply let it. After a while of not moving, the slime found that the bad feeling had disappeared. This new discovery did not make the slime less disoriented, instead, it increased the slime's confusion. Was its body bad? How could that happen? The slime wriggled furiously again, deciding that it had simply run into a bad thing that it had been pulled away from by the liquid. This time, it wriggled in a different direction, hoping to avoid the bad feeling causer. But it was no use, the bad feeling simply returned again. Bothered, the slime let the liquid pull it back again. As it let the liquid carry it the slime felt the bad feeling disappearing. Maybe the bad feeling causer had followed it. Wriggling in the opposite direction, the slime tried even harder to move away from the bad feeling causer. This time the bad feeling was the worst. The slime was very bothered by the feeling now. It decided that if it found the bad feeling causer, it would absorb it and end the bad feeling. Wriggling around in an attempt to find the bad feeling causer, it felt nothing but the salty liquid. Maybe the bad feeling causer was the liquid! The slime wanted to get out of the liquid now. Wriggling again, it soon found a hard inorganic and moved up it.

But just before reaching a place with no liquid, it felt something bump into it. It was organic, although it tasted a bit inorganic. The taste was familiar somehow. Digesting some of the mass inside it, the slime used it to create small points inside of its opening. The points helped it digest the inorganic tasting organic. It still had a small amount of mass inside it, so it used the small amount of mass to create a flat surface at the end of it that was opposite its opening. This adjustment allowed it to wriggle more efficiently and reach the tip of the hard inorganic faster. It touched the hard inorganic with its opening, searching for more organic things to digest. It found a small bump on the hard inorganic that had the same texture of the sharp thing surrounding the scuttly thing it had digested earlier. It was more experienced now, so it digested the similar sharp thing faster. This sharp thing also had a soft thing underneath, but it was different.

((Ok, I'm really bad at dividing paragraphs. I just write huge chunks then insert enters randomly.))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

OOC:

@ Silverphoenixx: Yep! You can make the hermit crab's chirping noise. You're deaf still so who cares, but I figure I should give it to you now before you get bigger or go deeper into the sea where you won't find any trace of them.

@Dragonhatchling: Both Sevak (your character on the Escapist) and Avisk (your character here) are fine. However, your first character was inactive for over a year; though it was because of a godmodder ruining the whole thread and the forum moderator not doing anything about it or listening to my complaints. Still, the first slime set are all valid Culls.

@ Dragonhatchling: Yes, the Culling the Numbers is actually a story merge! Slimes from Thread 1 will be seen here and at the Escapist, and retired slimes can appear in either thread as well. But the biggest RL issue I'm facing is going to have to be alleviated by then, if I'm going to even pretend to be able to focus on that. Plus I have a lot of research on actually updating every slime on every thread properly, then figuring out who requested to retire, who did by Cull rules, where the slimes started, decide where they are now, how they evolved, if they did, and what I am even doing with the 3 NPC boss slimes (Controller, Regenerator, Resistor) I started a few years ago and never got back to. Then decide who is attacking who, and at what developmental stage.

@ Avialae: That wasn't what I meant- on March at the Escapist in the Azure Wyrm group (which everyone here should probably see the information there) I said "One month from now, all characters who have been inactive for at least a year will be retired and the slimes will become NPCs (non playable characters)." It wasn't event requests that made me activate it, just annoyed that players said they'd stick around forever then went afk for anywhere from one to three years, or even never to be seen again. There are certain "hidden" unlocks and things that will only ever be even known about if a player's story is going in a way that warrants a spoiler- and an event reward of Information is requested. Then you get to know about the hidden awesome thing you'd never know about otherwise. Specifically, ColorCodedChaos' event reward color/pattern was Durant, the metal/bug type ant pokemon. Unless someone requested something like that, I would NEVER have revealed the possibility for a machine-like (LIKE) dragon, made purely of ACTUAL GENETIC TRAITS FROM REAL LIFE CREATURES. See why it was hidden? The reason I said "Some requests have nearly forced me to activate it" is because some requests players made... I don't see a way to get them to them- UNLESS I have them meet another slime, who already has that unlock- or realistically could have gotten it in unwritten gameplay, and allow the active player to copy it through combat or kill the other slime to get it.

@ Avialae: Yes, it's the commercial variety of banana tree.

@ Avialae: You're getting your Housewarming event stuff before Halloween, hopefully. At Halloween, that's a totally different group of new rewards. I thought I actually updated your sheet on page 1, I'll get to it when I can- hopefully today. What's going on in my real life that distracts me from gaming is in the Chat in the Escapist group, so you can look into that if you want.

----------------------------------IN GAME---------------------------------------------------

@Pyrellium: (unlocked: crab- except claws) The creature wasn't very big, but compared to the slime's mass, it was acceptable; and the slime was able to pull it within its ooze with minor difficulty. The creature had tried to get away from being smothered, but the movements of the wet made it loose its grip and become a simpler target. Once the slime had dissolved the hard part of the thing- and it wasn't very thick- the soft stuff within was effortless. That hard part took awhile longer though. But the slime was able to slurp itself within the hard parts, absorbing the interior, making it almost hollow, until the hard parts were dissolved enough to shatter and be easier to carry around within the slime's inside. While it consumed its prey, the wet moved the slime around, gently bumping it into the inorganic periodically. But partway out of the wet, attached securely to the inorganic, were other things that the slime couldn't rightly tell if it was inorganic or organic inorganic.

@Drasilus: (unlocked: red delicious apple tree) The slime had found that as it moved, there were other flavors. Some inorganic, some not- but most quite unappetizing. But still it was able to be consumed. The stuff it was currently resting on was quite warm, but cool compared to the hot point it escaped. It was... another type of slime. The slime could tell it was dirty. Something wrong with it. It used to be something else, or maybe it didn't, but it was at least cleaner at one point because it could tell not all of it was as bad as it felt. Some of it was nearly smooth; not full of nearly dust-sized inorganic. But it had passed other things that it noticed, that now might be of interest. One of the things was wet and flimsy, like lots of very thin pieces on top of each other. When the slime moved it only barely, many... things moved out of it, only to return.

@Aster: (unlocked: potbelly pig) A hard, mostly tasteless organic thing was in the slime's way. If the slime hadn't made its orbs work and start getting used to them, it would have slurped right into a very sharp-looking part of it. The slime was nearly punctured in its new right orb. New senses were good, apparently! But its other sense nearly deafened it initially, as there were small sounds all around, but if something never heard anything, then heard a lot at once... the initial burst of sight and sound was a lot to handle, and the slime wasn't doing very well. The pokey organic part didn't help. At least it wasn't mobile- the slime could tell that wasn't the kind of organic it was. All sorts of colors were around the slime, and under it. Mostly variations on the color of the ground everywhere, as long as the slime ignored the bright colored blade-shaped soft-looking stuff that moved slightly when the air did.

@Avisk: The slime didn't see the glint of light again. When it had happened, the creature (if that's what it was) seemed to disappear when the light came. Something sharp scratched the slime slightly as it continued down the tunnel. Just a bit of inorganic; not even enough to hurt but annoy. The tunnel wasn't perfectly smooth and felt as though something had passed, but it didn't seem like any organic the slime was aware of. It had to be something else because inorganic things can't move. But the slime knew it was going the right direction... for now. It thought. It was funny because the tunnel took multiple directions at various points, and none were really distinct from each other, except for that little scrape that appeared and disappeared at different spots that were slightly raised, or at tight curves in the tunnel-maze. Maze? There was that Chaos again.

Edited by Viirin

Still pondering the existence of good and bad, and having come (it thought smugly to itself) to some quite interesting conclusions, the subject continued its slow, doughnut-shaped progress around the world, or at least the small portion of it not totally inimical to something that looked like a Petri dish had sneezed on it. However, it was intrigued by the motion of the skittering things. It wanted - another innovation, recognising the power of desire, courtesy of the concept of bad - to understand more about the skittering things, why they skittered, why they came back to the not-ground that was there. Perhaps it was a good place for them, but why was it good? More to the point, could the subject be good? How could the subject be good for them?

It began to look into what it had. The good thing was good, yes? The subject paused. What if - and this took it quite some time, since what amounted to a carrier bag full of acid goop does not necessarily a mighty intellectual make - what if it could make itself seem like the good thing, which was an unqualified good thing, so that the skittering things decided that the subject was the good thing rather than the thing with many sections? And thus, forcing the hand of destiny, it began to... change.

It was slow at first. It had to isolate what precisely made the good thing good, which would have felt to a human rather like dissecting a joke made of kittens - socially unacceptable and missing the point of "good" quite a bit. Eventually, the long-chain carbohydrates that it was using as fuel were marked as being the best thing, and so it began. They were easy to produce once a few cells had been reworked, which took even more time, but the process took more energy to produce than could be got out. Sacrifices had to be made in the name of good, and introducing more things, like the skittering things, to the idea of good. It would be good to them.

Eventually, the first long-chain carbohydrates emanated from the subject. They were a pretty good first attempt. Now it waited. Now it needed to see whether or not the skittering things would come and join it.

---

((Translation: Drasilus is shrinking, but smells like apple sauce.))

((iPad just deleted my huge long chunk of text. D: It was the barnacles's fault, I was searching to see if they could be pulled out of their little "barnacle houses" but the iPad was a jerk and decided to delete my post. Now I will go sulk in the corner and use Thunderbolt on the barnacles.))

((And the point of this post is to be there for me to edit later. And tell you guys all how my iPad is a jerk. It's going to take over the world someday...))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

OOC: OK, thanks for all the information, Viirin! Do you think you could show me where the Azure Wyrm group on Escapist is, though? I did take a look at the Azure Wyrm thread over there, but although I admit I didn't read the whole thing, I didn't see anything that looked like it might be the location for a group.

As Aster just barely avoided impaling its right orb on the sharp thing that it had almost ran into, it felt part of itself - no, two parts of itself, thin, flat parts both and below its orb, move to cover the organ. That came as a bit of a surprise to it, as it wasn't used to parts of its body moving without its input. Growing new things, yes, but not moving. The long flat folds of get couldn't cover its entire frontal orb yet, but the slime could feel them growing, and it realized that they would before long. The orb coverers were still clear like the rest of Aster's main body, so they didn't prevent it from seeing anything, but the slime could tell that when they were extended over its orbs it would be a bit more difficult for other things to damage them, which, fresh from its near miss from the sharp organic, it could easily tell would be very useful. Its orb felt a bit more comfortable in an odd way, too. It had stung a little before. It didn't now.

After Aster had gotten used to being able to hear the noises around it, which took a little while, it nosed at the pokey organic just in front of it, hungry again as it had digested everything it had eaten by now. As it felt the organic brush up against its front, nowhere near its orbs this time, it shut its orb coverings. Surprised, as it hadn't meant to do that, it shut them again. And again. Slowly, it began to dawn on Aster that it might have some control over these orbs after all. The slime tried to repeat feeling the sensation it had felt earlier, and the coverers did in fact close over its orbs again. After a bit of experimentation, the slime realized that it could cover both of its orbs at once, or either individually. That was very interesting to it, but as it figured its new ability out, using its eye coverers quickly lost its appeal. Remembering its hunger then, Aster flowed over the pokey organic and, making sure none of its body got poked in the process, began to absorb it. As it did so, it felt something slowly start to form behind its frontal orbs, almost exactly in the middle between them. Even though whatever it was had barely started to form, it was already harder than any other part of the slime's body, and still getting harder all the time. This didn't really bother Aster, however, as it was used to new things growing inside of it by now, and it merely concentrated on digesting the pokey organic.

((Virrin: I realize the first slime I had was going to be part of the Cull. I don't remember him very much.... just that he also (I think) was named Sevak. Some weird stuff happened and that person ruined the game. I would have loved to bring him back before, but I figured starting off anew would be better... and gave the current Sevak the name in honor of the other slime.

If there could be some way to bring him back somehow, I really wouldn't mind playing that one again either... be it here or on Escapist. I'd tweak the name if it is indeed Sevak as well.

@Avialae: Group Link I'm unsure if you have to be registered to Escapist to see it... and I'm also unsure if you have to be accepted to that group in order to see the Group. As I am both...

But there's the link.))

Avisk followed along the slightly scraped trails, searching for an easy way to be able to tell the way back, as well as the correct way forward and possibly where the weird creature-thing was. It milled around in this maze-like place for a while it seemed. Really it could have been a few minutes and the slime would not have been able to truly tell the difference.

It was now too dark to see properly. Now too dark to really be sure where anything was. At least for the poor slime. Something about the place made the slime think maybe the weird creature-Disappear could see in the dark. Could it see the slime? That wasn't comforting.

((Poor Sevak in Escapist.... I hope me doing that was miraculously alright Virrin... if not, I can edit smile.gif ))

Edited by Dragonhatchling

((Hey! Zeditha went to investigate the tapping. Nobody seemed to notice!!!))

OOC @ Zeditha: Arg! That was one of the posts that deleted itself or something. I'll write it today.

@ Silverphoenixx: I know how that feels, I write a bunch, then it's gone. Makes me not wanna write for a week.

@ Avialae: Escapist's Azure Wyrm "Announcement" link, which has all event information: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Azure-Wyrm

....and the Chat link is here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/chat/Azure-Wyrm

In order for the links to work, you have to have an Escapist account. The group is freely joinable, so you don't need permission or applications to get in.

And thank you Dragonhatchling, for beating me to the punch!

@Dragonhatchling: I can't research any of the original slimes until I have a place to live, and preferably a safe one. After that, I'll see what I can do. Though, because of how much time went by, I don't know if I'll say in-game time passed too, or not. If so, then Sevak1 will have evolved without your control. But like I said, I'm not sure which I'll do yet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Avisk: The slime found places in the underground tunnel that widened out, and ended. There were more than a few of these. But they didn't have the scrape along the side. Nothing of interest was in those. Nothing at all. But eventually the slime found... the creature! There was one! The slime knew because it felt something hurt it. Some of its own form was being torn off!

@Zeditha: Exiting the pleap and getting a look around, the slime saw what the tapping was after a few moments. Liquid from the up-wet had fallen onto the brown (green) parts of a big organic that the slime was under; its canopy keeping most of the area somewhat dry. But as it wetted the brown, it collected and dripped down onto the thick green (brown) limby parts of the organic. Eventually it was enough wet to fall down. When the big drip hit the ground, it made a tapping sound. The slime happened to build the pleap right under one of those spots. There were others in other places, but that's what the tapping was.

@Aster: The organic was extremely dense and absorbing it was taking a long time. But it was working. The slime had absorbed enough of the dense organic that it wasn't pokey anymore- at least not that part. It was smooth and no longer had any grip on it. The slime fell a short distance but landed on something brightly colored and gooey. It could still easily see and reach the not-pokey-anymore thing.

@Drasilus: The slime sat motionless for awhile, but nothing seemed to happen. The air was different, no longer hot but lukewarm, but that was all. The skittery things weren't attracted. Did the slime fail to notice the organic stuff they were hiding in was damp? The slime wasn't? That must have been it. Something came from the slime. Something unintentional. It was wet, and tasted like the stuff it consumed earlier, but pure. It wasn't much, but it did make the not-ground semi-organic the slime was on damp. After continuing to wait, because what else could it do- it felt something. Something tiny, very thin and seemingly soft or at least gentle, rubbed against it.

((aaaargh green is brown and brown is green, I can't keep track... sad.gif))

Zeditha decided to see what the liquid was. She moved over to the spot it would fall to and waited, hard-open-close (beak) ready, for the next bit to fall.

OOC: Thanks, I made an Escapist account and now I can look at all the group information!

The slime was very upset after it landed on the brightly colored gooey thing. It had been eating the pokey thing, and it wasn't finished yet! How dare it try to get away from the slime! Oh, this wasn't over yet, not by a long shot.

Raising its frontal orbs, Aster saw the no longer pokey organic not very far away, and realized it could just go over to where the dense organic was now and finish eating it. Hmm, another thing sight was good for! But then the slime noticed the brightly covered, gooey thing that it was currently positioned on. The bright color was so pretty, much nicer than the ground color, and there was much more of it to enjoy than the bright color on the thin, wavy soft stuff it had seen here and there. The slime still intended to go back to the dense organic, but now its plans had changed slightly. Aster slowly eased itself onto its sides and then its back from there, covering itself in the gooey substance. It flattened its top as much as it could, and eventually was able to hollow out a crude depression on it, so it could store some of the goo in it. There! Now, with the exception of its front, Aster's entire body was covered in the brightly colored gooey thing (hopefully. The slime couldn't really see most of itself that well). Now when it went to finish eating the no longer pokey dense organic, it could take the bright color with it!

The slime headed over to where the dense organic that it had been eating before was, tried to angle itself so its frontal orbs wouldn't touch the organic and get in the way of its feeding, and started absorbing the no longer pokey organic again. It tried to keep a better grip on the organic this time, so it wouldn't get away from the slime again.

The bumping things contacted the slime for very brief amounts of time before zipping away. However, they made soft, buzzing noises, so the slime knew that they weren't just disappearing into nothingness. The short moments when the bumping things touched the slime didn't give the slime much information, but it felt that they were probably organic. Maybe? This was hard. Inorganic things didn't usually move, though, so the slime was pretty sure that they were organic. The slime would have easily captured the things on its surface, but the tubes running through it made that impossible. The slime was annoyed by this, but there wasn't much it could do. How could it capture the things? It didn't know. The wriggly things forgotten, the slime tried lunging towards the sound from one of the bumping things. Unfortunately for the slime, it was too slow. The bumping thing seemed to buzz away from the slime. How did it do that? It was so fast! It tried to swipe another buzzing thing with one of its feet, but the same thing happened again. This was irritating, but the slime really wanted to catch one of the bumping things. They could be new and interesting, and the slime wasn't smart enough to give up.

Before the slime could eventually catch one, however, something washed over it. It was wet, and fortunately it wasn't rancid. However, the slime noticed something horrible about this huge amount of wet. It filled the slime's air-getting tube and its hollow-things. That, apparently, was bad. It was horribly painful, and caused the slime to panic. It was worse than the time when the slime had thought that it would starve. This was much more immediate- the idea that it would never fill its hollow-things with air again. That was odd. The slime had done fine without its hollow-things before, but now they seemed to be essential. It couldn't dwell on such things now, though. It contracted its hollow-things, coughing up wet. Spluttering, the slime struggled to recover from the wet.

Before it had gotten rid of all of the wet stuck in its hollow-things, it noticed something else hurting it. It was pokey, and seemed to be some kind of creature. The hurt left quickly, but being hurt at all wasn't pleasant. Frantically, the slime reached around and ate as many of the things as it could. Still more poked it, but eating something new was calming.

((I'm fine with whatever Viirin smile.gif ))

Avisk felt itself being torn at and swiveled around to bump into the creature. The bump stopped the tearing for a moment, but the thing started at it again from another side. The slime this time charged forward, head butting, essentially, the creature and making it scurry off a little back through another section of tunnel. The slime followed, determined to figure out what it was that was attacking it. It didn't even cross that the idea might be a terrible one and could get it killed. There could be more. The slime would have no idea of knowing that.

But, Avisk also hoped this would be a quicker way out of the tunnel system as now it did not know where it had originally started. Or even the way back to its original start point in relativity. It didn't want to be lost down here forever. Following this attacking creature was its best bet. And it could possibly make it stop trying to tear the slime apart.

The subject felt the brush of something against its membrane and rejoiced. The wet was good to the skittering things! That was the missing piece! And so, it produced more, as the heat of the air around it dwindled and the light turned to darkness. And lo, the skittering things came out in force, and there was much rejoicing from the subject. Over it they crawled and crawled, their movements ticklish to the slime blob, until it welcomed them into its embrace, to be one with the good things.

They struggled, but not for long. The inside-parts of the subject saw to that. And boy howdy, was this a whole new outlook on life. In the course of their induction into goodness - which was surely the point of all things - the skittering things had simply disintegrated, turning into fuel for the subject's mitochondria. This became, very slowly, the concept of sacrifice, as more and more of the skittering things were attracted by the dampness and sweetness that made the concept of good, well, good to them.

Was what the subject was doing... bad? This took a very long time, measured in disintegrated skittering things, but eventually the subject decided that it could not be. After all, it was giving them exactly what they wanted, which was to be bathed in good for all eternity. Which they were. Sort of.

The heat disappeared from the air as it came to this conclusion. It would move to the damp thing-that-was-many-things and stay there, but for now being stationary was good. It was growing again, the not-itself in the middle swelling and rejoining as its mass increased to far more than it was losing due to the wet-sweet production. Instead, it took the time to analyse what was going on with its own DNA.

Some of the cells in its history were specialised reproductive ones, with a blob of wet-sweet encased in a very hard shell. Some of the others made it spiny, others still allowed it to draw nourishment from the ground and the sky without moving. But somehow it knew that never moving would be bad, and so it ignored the ground ones for the time being. Instead, as it settled down to rest, it sucked the wet-sweet back into itself and focused on moulding its membrane into something approaching the smooth, spiky hardness of its genetic namesake. In truth, it looked like an extremely lost sea urchin, or possibly something in Barney the Dinosaur's nose, but it felt and strove and wondered, and that's all that matters when you think about it.

---

((Translation: Drasilus trapped and ate as many silverfish as Viirin is willing to allow, then reshaped his top part into stubby and adorable spikelets.))

((Ok, nevermind. I'm not going to edit that one post. I'm just making a new one. Such long ness, all gone now. ;-;))

The slime was moderately satisfied by all it had eaten, so now it chose to stop and ponder things for a while. The bad feeling was very troublesome and was the first thing that came to it. It felt that it should call it something other than bad feeling to distinguish it from the multitudes of other bad feelings. Perhaps calling it something would even help it end the bad feeling. After trying various different things to call it, it settled on "tired". Now it tried to think of a reason that it felt "tired". The slime did not have a complex thinking system yet, so this task was not easy for it. It first tried to think of what happened when it felt "tired". It remembered that it had been in the liquid, hungry (although it was never full, just various different degrees of hungry), and wriggling. So, the slime did what seemed the most logical thing to it. It got out of the liquid. However, as soon as it got out of the liquid, a new challenge posed itself to it. The slime's wriggling, while effective in the liquid, was not very effective outside of it. Naturally, the slime tried to find an new way to move. However, it found that it simply could not with its current form. The slime was greatly dissatisfied that yet another seemingly unsolvable problem had posed itself to it. It tried to solve the problem by thinking as hard as it could with its basic thought system, which wasn't very hard. Finally, after a long bout of thinking, it thought of a solution. The slime had remembered the scuttly things and how they had long things attached to them. The long things moved a lot and seemed to move the scuttly things with them. The idea that it had stumbled upon was to make the same things for it so it could move like the scuttly things. So, it got to work on making the long things. It took quite a while to make ones big enough for it, and made the slime terribly hungry, but it got them done. It felt very satisfied now, even though it was hungry, because it had solved one of the "unsolvable" problems. The slime decided that such an accomplishment deserved something, and the something was a thing to call the long things. It went through another bout of thinking before deciding that "legs" sounded quite fine.

Now that it had celebrated, its hunger brought it back to the task of searching for food. It could not find any though, except for the odd organic or inorganic thing. It poked around the organic or inorganic things, finding that they were nestled in some hard inorganic. Perhaps it could pull them out? The slime used its new points to pull on the organic or inorganic thing. Eventually, with some fierce tugging, it popped out of the hard inorganic. The slime still could not tell if it was organic or inorganic but at least it had pulled it out. Just then, the slime felt the organic or inorganic thing move and extend some soft wriggling organic things. The slime devoured these things, but they were too small to fill it up. It decided that since it could extend organic, the thing was organic. However, it was too small to eat bit by bit. To the slime, the obvious solution was to eat it whole. So it did, picking the thing up with its points and letting it drop deeper into the slime. The slime was right, it was organic, but was very very hard and tasteless. The soft organic part was tasty, but that part was small. One of the very hard organics alone could not satisfy it, so it pulled out almost all of them and ate them.

((If it's okay, when the slime discovers webbing I would like the crab legs to become wings. And how big is Pyrellium? By the way, she doesn't know how to use her crab legs yet, she just moved her head to pull the barnacles out))

Edited by Silverphoenixx

OOC: Silverphoenixx: Pyrellium is around the size of a grapefruit right now (if balled up)

@Backup77: I'll give you another unlock once you digest.

@Aster: (unlocked: redwood) Many of the chunkier parts of the brightly colored organic fell off of the slime as it attempted to move while covered in it, but the wetter, smooshier parts stayed where they were. Kind of like a coating... No, that wasn't the only part that was moving. Tiny little things were apparently upset by the stuff moving, and the slime falling into it. And on top of them. Then coating itself in both them and their own meal. The little tiny things started moving around on the slime's surface, nearly burrowing through the thin, somewhat sticky bright stuff. They were the same color. But they hurt the slime! They were stronger than they looked.

@Delta: (unlocked: wasp venom gland) The spots the poking things touched had some sort of pain that began to spread throughout the slime, slowly. Again!?! But at least the slime had killed many of them. The ones that the slime missed seemed to more or less sound like they were going away. They... it... the slime was confused. The pain! But it felt something strange, even with an opening full of wet and organics. Stranger than that. As the pain spread through itself, when the areas affected touched, they didn't overlap. The pain didn't get worse, only got to a certain point. But a shape like a bunch of orbs half stuck to each other began to form within the slime; and as it did, the pain began to retreat into the strange shape almost as fast as it had started.

@Avisk: Something behind the slime did what the other one did that the slime made scamper away. It was another one! Just as the slime feared. The slime didn't even know it could be afraid of it, but apparently something else happened. There was a steep hole in the... hole that went almost straight down, and the slime attempting to turn to... do something to the other creature made it fall in. Luckily it wasn't very far, only half the slime's own height. But it was an awful fall, because of... what it... landed in. But there was something inorganic in it too. Did the slime... really want to...

@Drasilus: (unlocked: cockroach) Nope. They weren't the same kind of skittery things as the slime had initially expected. Those must be somewhere else, or the same place. But they weren't interested? Wrong thing to do. There were other organics all around, of course... if the slime could count, then it would count dozens at the least. But not the one it attempted to lure at this moment.

@Zeditha: Wet. It wasn't anything special, it was just wet. No organic secrets, no inorganic special things. It was just wet. But the drops were quickly becoming more infrequent, and the tapping started becoming exactly as rare. But no new movements happened. As far as the slime could tell, it was the only non-plant organic thing around. Wait, the slime itself was organic? That was a troubling concept.

@Pyrellium: (unlocked: barnacle) The salty wet sloshed against the slime periodically, hitting the extremely rough, pitted inorganic it was resting on first. There were no more scuttly things or inorganic things with organic centers. Just salty wet. There had been stringy organic that kind of floated out deeper, and things that might or might not be organic on the bottom of the wet where it was loose, smooth ground.

Edited by Viirin