Descripforce

Description Force!

I realized who are reviewing my descripions, LOL.

My view on 'you' is that it is fine in dialogue, if there is any. Actually, my opinion would probably not help, I just reject if having 'you' or 'one' starts to sound weird, but I approve if it sounds good. (Lol, no help here).

(Can you add me on the list, I sign with 'T~' or with my little :3

Edit: I'm coming across a lot of one linner descriptions, what should I comment? Or do I just do it without one?

Edited by Tiga

@Tabs: That's usually what I do as well, and I call that last part "making the reader RP" or "controlling the reader's actions" or something along those lines in my comments.

(Can you add me on the list, I sign with 'T~' or with my little :3

Edit: I'm coming across a lot of one linner descriptions, what should I comment? Or do I just do it without one?

I'll add you once I get back on my laptop in a little bit. I'll put you down as "T~" though, since :3 is a smiley and other people may use that occasionally.

As for one-liner descriptions, those are iffy. They have to actually describe the dragon: if it just says "xx is mated to yy" then that's definitely a Reject. As for ones that say something like "He is a mean dragon and likes to swim around in lava", I personally tend to Abstain (or Reject, depending on the case, like punctuation) and ask for more detail. But it's up to how you feel.

Edited by Dimar

May I ask a question?

When.... is the next description day gonna be, out of curiosity. OR is it planned that there will even be one?

Edited by Silverswift

May I ask a question?

When.... is the next description day gonna be, out of curiosity. OR is it planned that there will even be one?

Nothing is in planning at the moment, Dimar and I both have finals and Herk is busy as well. We will be keeping everyone up to date as we start making plans.

Nothing is in planning at the moment, Dimar and I both have finals and Herk is busy as well. We will be keeping everyone up to date as we start making plans.

Cool, cool. I was just curious. I do realize that you have lives besides DC. wink.gif

I will be stalking this thread, then.

Dirtytabs' post is a perfect example for how I review descriptions that use the word "you." If it's a general cautionary statement I'm fine using "you," but not to such an extent that the reader is placed more fully into the description. I'm fine with using the word "you" in descriptions, as long as it doesn't pull me into the description too much.

Grr, I haven't been able to seriously review since about last Sunday due to being overwhelmed with schoolwork this week. And tomorrow I'll be volunteering so I won't be able to get caught back up until the evening. Sorry guys >.<

I always feel bad for getting so far behind on reviewing, since I'm usually caught up on the queue...

@Tabs: That's usually what I do as well, and I call that last part "making the reader RP" or "controlling the reader's actions" or something along those lines in my comments.

I'll add you once I get back on my laptop in a little bit. I'll put you down as "T~" though, since :3 is a smiley and other people may use that occasionally.

As for one-liner descriptions, those are iffy. They have to actually describe the dragon: if it just says "xx is mated to yy" then that's definitely a Reject. As for ones that say something like "He is a mean dragon and likes to swim around in lava", I personally tend to Abstain (or Reject, depending on the case, like punctuation) and ask for more detail. But it's up to how you feel.

Oh okay thanks. I usually reject, i'm not a fan of one liners, even though if they describe the dragon. I needed someone else's view on this. smile.gif

Could I get my name added to the list, please?

I sign as ~Jas

As for the whole 'you' situation, I think it's okay to say "he'll cause quite the fuss if you get in his way", but I don't think it's okay to use it in past tense, for example "you saw this dragon last night".

Edited by Jascuty

Jascuty and DragonLauren; you're both added to the list.

It seems like everyone has pretty similar opinions about "you". I'll wait a while longer before making an official suggestion thread about it, but thanks for all the input so far and feel free to speak up if you haven't yet.

As for the whole 'you' situation, I think it's okay to say "he'll cause quite the fuss if you get in his way", but I don't think it's okay to use it in past tense, for example "you saw this dragon last night".

Agreed, and not "You walk further down the path. You see a dragon. It looks at you." style, either.

Jascuty and DragonLauren; you're both added to the list.

It seems like everyone has pretty similar opinions about "you". I'll wait a while longer before making an official suggestion thread about it, but thanks for all the input so far and feel free to speak up if you haven't yet.

Thanks smile.gif

Basically, I think we all agree that it's okay to use 'you' instead of 'one', but for nothing else.

EDIT:

Once the correct use of 'you' has been decided, I really need to describe all my dragons. It's already bugging me that there's a part of the site I'm not even using. It's like a deep down craving inside me... If I can motivate myself, I might write a few today haha.

Edited by Jascuty

I remember when descriptions were added to the game... whew! I wrote a few early on. I wonder if they'd be approved now? I've been doing some reviewing lately and just discovered this thread, so, FWIW, lurh is me. tongue.gif

Personally I think 'you' is okay when it's nonspecific; that is, when it isn't referring to a specific 'you' but rather making a general comment. Sort of the difference between 'he'll ignore you forever if he dislikes you', a general statement about how the dragon behaves toward others habitually, and 'you see a dragon but he ignores you,' which makes the reader 'you'.

Not that my opinion is important, but, again, FWIW. tongue.gif

Thanks for all the input, guys. After further discussion with Sock, we mostly seem to be on the same page. However, this isn't something that would likely be added to the official Guidelines, since she thinks TJ doesn't want to officially encourage usage of "you". So, an actual suggestion thread doesn't need to be made after all even though the rule isn't explicitly stated anywhere.

In summary: general "you" is acceptable where it replaces "one", but not if it's making the reader part of the narrative. "This dragon is a good friend, if you can earn his trust" is fine but "You find this dragon in the forest and he growls at you" is not. Mods will follow this when they moderate.

Basically, what it sounds like everyone has been doing. (Though I think there's one person I talked to a while ago who rejected for any use of "you"?) Unless TJ steps in to correct something, we'll consider this an unofficial rule. I'm glad we got this cleared up; it's nice to know everyone concurs. biggrin.gif

I have a question: Since. I am quite litterly a Possesed Bottle of Drinking_Water, would it be okay to say stuff like 'DRAGON NAME was blah blah blah with the help of a Possesed Bottle of Drinking_Water.'?

(I'm possesed like the Cheese and Paper dragons)

I have a question: Since. I am quite litterly a Possesed Bottle of Drinking_Water, would it be okay to say stuff like 'DRAGON NAME was blah blah blah with the help of a Possesed Bottle of Drinking_Water.'?

(I'm possesed like the Cheese and Paper dragons)

I'm just not sure what that has to do with your dragon's description? Perhaps you might enjoy playing around in the Freeform RP section. It sounds like you've definitely got the creativity for it. =3

May I be added to the signature list:

-xey

Thank you biggrin.gif

I'm beginning to rename and describe all my dragons today. Wish me luck, I have a long way to go...

Haven't been here for a time and will still have to keep away from this for another period until I finish all my exams:( I am glad that the discussion of "you" finally found its midpoint.

Good luck, Jascuty. Keep your own rhythm smile.gif

EDIT:

If a person's describing a frozen ungendered hatchie, can they decide what it's gender is, or must they describe it in gender neutral terms?

Uhm I am not sure but I suppose it is okay to "determine" its gender by owner. And you reminder me of another issue..

Is it acceptable to describe a dragon being sex-changeover? It is a male dragon but the owner insists it used to be a girl..and somehow by some magic it was turned into male.

Edited by Shelybear

DragonLauren, as Shelybear said it's okay to use specific pronouns or mention a preferred gender. And Shely, the answer to your question is also yes. That's fine in descriptions. smile.gif

Definitely fine to 'assign' a gender to an ungendered (and to papers, cheeses and dinos, too!). smile.gif

I have two transgender dragons and I know there are several others out there, so that's fine as well.

Just a little heads-up. The queue felt like it could use some extra-motivation so I hid an egg-bearing Tsunami there again. Right now he holds a gold Blusang egg for a nice little reviewer. We'll see what he gets when that one is gone smile.gif

Edited by herk

My little Fungus Thief has a present for someone as well.