rilavision

RIP Xbox One

Wow, that's ridiculous. Then again Microsoft is trying anyway they can to make their system seem up to par with PS4. I've also passed by my neighborhood GameStop and there has been many costumers going in to ask if they can cancel their pre-order on the Xbox Done and since GameStop's policy on that has changed they'd either have to move the Pre-order to a PS4 pre-order or to a game that is coming out soon (If I am correct) which pretty much sucks on their half.

BUT, I can understand why many people wouldn't want to pre-order the PS4 so early. It does release in December so I guess they feel they should give it a few of a wait before actually pre-ordering, it is only going to be 8gbs right? Mainly the ones pre-ordering the Xbox Done are Xbox crazed fanboys.

No? Both systems are launching with a 500gb hard drive. There's also no release date.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Then again Microsoft is trying anyway they can to make their system seem up to par with PS4. I've also passed by my neighborhood GameStop and there has been many costumers going in to ask if they can cancel their pre-order on the Xbox Done and since GameStop's policy on that has changed they'd either have to move the Pre-order to a PS4 pre-order or to a game that is coming out soon (If I am correct) which pretty much sucks on their half.

BUT, I can understand why many people wouldn't want to pre-order the PS4 so early. It does release in December so I guess they feel they should give it a few of a wait before actually pre-ordering, it is only going to be 8gbs right? Mainly the ones pre-ordering the Xbox Done are Xbox crazed fanboys.

?? Our policy hasn't changed. If you cancel a preorder, you can get the credit back in the same tender you paid for it. (Cash, debit, or store credit).

Also, we only got like 16 Xbox ones to preorder, and over 24 for PS4. Looks like we're anticipating a lot more PS4 sales.

Edit: The PS4 comes with 8Gs of RAM space, and 500 Gbs of hard drive.

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

No? Both systems are launching with a 500gb hard drive. There's also no release date.

Oh, haha then I must have been confused.

?? Our policy hasn't changed. If you cancel a preorder, you can get the credit back in the same tender you paid for it. (Cash, debit, or store credit).

Also, we only got like 16 Xbox ones to preorder, and over 24 for PS4. Looks like we're anticipating a lot more PS4 sales.

Well, that is the Policy of the store where I am at. You cannot get credit back for the Pre-order. You can only Pre-order another System or Game. I've tried to get credit back for a few games about 4 times and they just kept making me change to a different pre-order.

There was only ONE time that I got back credit for a pre-order but it was because my cousin works at that GameStop. He actually got in trouble for the transaction.

Edited by verdaniasoul

Oh, haha then I must have been confused.

Well, that is the Policy of the store where I am at. You cannot get credit back for the Pre-order. You can only Pre-order another System or Game. I've tried to get credit back for a few games about 4 times and they just kept making me change to a different pre-order.

That's odd. If you don't mind me asking, which store are you going to? The policy at my store and those around me still stand that any preorder can be cancelled at any time for a refund.

That's odd. If you don't mind me asking, which store are you going to? The policy at my store and those around me still stand that any preorder can be cancelled at any time for a refund.

It is this one.

user posted image

This has not only happened to me though, but has happened to a few of my friends. I am not sure if it has to do with the difference in States.

I had paid one pre-order with credit that I got for trading in games, and another with cash. I went to cancel the pre-order of the game I paid in cash because it was for my nephew though he no longer wanted it. The only thing they said they were going to be able to do was to let me do was move it to the other game I was pre-ordering or to ANOTHER game pre-order. Which just completely p-ssed me off because I paid MY money for it I should be able to get a refund.

Edited by verdaniasoul

I don't think it's a difference in states. I go to college in NY and the game stops I have visited there all will allow you to cancel a pre-order and get a refund. Even game stop's website talks about cancelling pre-orders (stating that they cannot be cancelled if you received some kind of promotional item, meaning that they can be otherwise).

It sounds like it's an issue with that game stop specifically. :/

Edited by shikaru

Possibly.

If it is a hardware based issue, they must recall the system to change it. Unless they released an Xbox One 2.0 (ironic, isn't it) for a discounted/free price with a verifiable proof of purchase from the original, or possibly a device that gets plugged into the Xbox One to circumnavigate the "features".

If it is a software/firmware issue, then it is possible to fix it remotely. Even with saying that, it is possible the software update/total rewrite would be too strenuous or large to do remotely. In short, MS might still have to recall to fix a software issue. Even if they don't, I assume the software component would be very difficult to reach as to dissuade tech savvy buyers from tampering. This would call for a massive software upgrade/rewrite that would not only clog a home's wifi/internet connection for hours, but in cases where people pay by the MB, it would break people.

Either way, I'm seeing a very dismal future for the Xboned. Even with that, the initial release will probably be somewhat successful. I know as of last week Thursday, the closest GameStop to my house had sold out of Xbone preorders but still had about a dozen PS4s left.

Yeah, that's true, but MS doesn't actually seem to care about that as it is, anyway. So I can't imagine they'd care if people couldn't afford the update--they'd just say "then buy a 360 if you can't afford the update's MB usage". :/

What they could do is offer the Xboned 2.0 for free when you trade in your Original Xboned. You'd have to probably wait weeks without your system because you'd have to ship it to them, then they'd have to transfer any data to a new system, then ship you a new one. >_>

Though, about the GS thing... That could also depend on how many pre-orders they were given. My store got a grand total of 6 Xboned orders for the first day and were sold out within 5 hours. However, we got something like 20 for the PS4.

Re: No Credit For Cancelled Orders:

That's not right. Company-wide, the policy absolutely should be that you can get your full money back.

However, maybe I can explain this a bit:

At GS, we keep track of different numbers, and having consistently terrible numbers is rather bad for your job security. Our stores are also ranked based on various numbers.

Pre-orders are one of those numbers, so when somebody cancels an order it hurts our numbers as both an employee and a store. So we try to get people to change it over to a different pre-order. However, we are not supposed to flat-out refuse to give the money back if a person doesn't want to change their order. The employee who got in trouble for that probably got in trouble because it reflected the store's numbers poorly to have a cancellation.

Next time it happens, if it does, demand to talk to the manager. If the manager refuses, I'd request the customer service number or something. But that just is shady as censorkip.gif and there has to be something wrong about it. I'm not sure how else to go about filing a complaint if the manager refuses.

Edit: The PS4 comes with 8Gs of RAM space, and 500 Gbs of hard drive.

I had a chuckle about the system preorders one of the 4 6 local Gamestops here. Day 1 of e3 they were only allotted 9 xbones and like 44 ps4 preorders.. xd.png

EDIT: After counting, there are like 5 other Gamestop stores within about 20 miles including the one that I primarily use..

Edited by autumnraynefyr

It is this one.

user posted image

This has not only happened to me though, but has happened to a few of my friends. I am not sure if it has to do with the difference in States.

I had paid one pre-order with credit that I got for trading in games, and another with cash. I went to cancel the pre-order of the game I paid in cash because it was for my nephew though he no longer wanted it. The only thing they said they were going to be able to do was to let me do was move it to the other game I was pre-ordering or to ANOTHER game pre-order. Which just completely p-ssed me off because I paid MY money for it I should be able to get a refund.

If you have the receipts and can prove it was paid in cash (But my history with Gamestop goes way back to the EB days and with my experiences, even with store credit preorders if they were later cancelled, the amount was credited to you in the form of a giftcard), or if you are powerup member, the history should be logged into your account, You should contact corporate about the store to make a formal inquiry. It is under the Contact Us link on the Gamestop.com Page. The contact link is here.

Ah, here's another reason the "always online" thing is possibly gonna be an issue, one that I didn't think about originally.

What happens when THEIR servers die?  Like, y'know, the first week or so of launch of a massive title like Call of Duty or something, where the servers inevitably buckle under the onslaught of people trying to connect at the same time?

You just won't be allowed to play your game at all, I bet, even if you have Internet.  :/

This actually happened with a game called "SimCity". The day it was released, the amount of logins actually crashed the server. You couldn't play the game. Never mind you just bought the stupid thing and you shouldn't need online access to play a one player game. It continued this way for a few days, if I remember correctly. And if the game suddenly was bumped off the server, you'd lose all of the information. It would basically delete anything you haven't saved yet.

Here's a little blurb from Wikipedia:

The initial release of SimCity on March 5, 2013 in North America suffered multiple severe issues, particularly regarding the game's requirement for a persistent internet connection. After the game was made available for purchase through EA's Origin delivery service, the high volume of users attempting to download and connect to EA's game servers caused network outages. Players reported experiencing frequent problems during gameplay due to the outages such as long loading times, disconnections, crashing, and loss of saved game data.

The server problems and negative feedback led some publications to refer to the launch as "disastrous" and others have compared the launch unfavorably to that of Diablo III, which experienced similar problems when it was first released. The issues caused online retailer Amazon.com to temporarily withdraw the digital version of SimCity from its marketplace citing customer complaints.

I could totally see this happening on launch day for the Xbone.

@Ladykyuubirose:

The idea that Mac computers don't get viruses is a myth. And, if you update your virus protection software, use a anti-malware program every once in awhile and don't open/download strange things (or go to strange/suspicious/illicit websites), you'll be fine. I suggest using Chrome over Internet Explorer because it's generally safer for internet browsing if you don't have a lot of computer knowledge and/or go to a lot of 'suspicious' sites. Mac computers can get viruses/break down just as easily if the user isn't experienced.

Also, you don't NEED to update your operating system. I'm still running Windows XP and it works just fine with all the programs I use. The only reason to update would be if you are running a gaming computer and/or you want to keep up with the latest technology. Also, purchasing a developer copy is a lot cheaper if you plan on building your own computer. (I'm not sure if they still make developer copies but my Windows XP is one)

@verdaniasoul:

Send a E-Mail to GameStop Corporate (it should be located on their website). It sounds like that particular store is enforcing business practices that are not part of the Corporation. Report them.

Edited by MysticTiger

Next time it happens, if it does, demand to talk to the manager.  If the manager refuses, I'd request the customer service number or something.  But that just is shady as censorkip.gif and there has to be something wrong about it.  I'm not sure how else to go about filing a complaint if the manager refuses.

Believe me, it's completely unfair. I ended up transferring it to my GTA 5 pre-order which is now fully paid. I could understand if I used store credit on that pre-order ya know?

Edited by verdaniasoul

This actually happened with a game called "SimCity". The day it was released, the amount of logins actually crashed the server. You couldn't play the game. Never mind you just bought the stupid thing and you shouldn't need online access to play a one player game. It continued this way for a few days, if I remember correctly. And if the game suddenly was bumped off the server, you'd lose all of the information. It would basically delete anything you haven't saved yet.

Here's a little blurb from Wikipedia:

I could totally see this happening on launch day for the Xbone.

Yeah, I know--that's what I'm wondering if they ever pay attention, because it'll just be a repeat of that whole fiasco.

That's one of the biggest reason I don't like the online validation stuff--I may not be able to play my crap even if everything is working on my end. I paid for it, I should be able to use it as more than a freakin' paperweight or Frisbee, y'know?

Believe me, it's completely unfair. I ended up transferring it to my GTA 5 pre-order which is now fully paid. I could understand if I used store credit on that pre-order ya know?

If you use store credit you can still get that 100% refunded. It just has to go on a trade card and can't be done via cash or something. But you can 100% get it back if you paid in store credit, and never take no for an answer if you really don't want to move the preorder.

It's shady practice to say otherwise, and either this store has a totally different policy than the rest of the company, or they're lying about policy to protect their numbers. Either way, it's not acceptable.

If they refuse to give you the customer service number, contact corporate. Threaten to do so. Actually go through with it if they still refuse.

Trust me, they will NOT want the District Manager on their cases about crappy customer service, especially not when you have a legitimate case against them.

Yeah, I know--that's what I'm wondering if they ever pay attention, because it'll just be a repeat of that whole fiasco.

That's one of the biggest reason I don't like the online validation stuff--I may not be able to play my crap even if everything is working on my end. I paid for it, I should be able to use it as more than a freakin' paperweight or Frisbee, y'know?

It's very unlikely that they will experience the problems SimCity had. For one, SimCity appeared to require communication with the service every 15 minutes, not every 24 hours. Diablo III, the other notable game launch failure due to requiring server communication, required everything to go through its servers.

It's always possible that the servers could go down, but Xbox Live already deals with so much traffic that a ping every 24 hours to reauth your games is like nothing. This isn't even in the same ballpark.

@Ladykyuubirose:

The idea that Mac computers don't get viruses is a myth. And, if you update your virus protection software, use a anti-malware program every once in awhile and don't open/download strange things (or go to strange/suspicious/illicit websites), you'll be fine. I suggest using Chrome over Internet Explorer because it's generally safer for internet browsing if you don't have a lot of computer knowledge and/or go to a lot of 'suspicious' sites. Mac computers can get viruses/break down just as easily if the user isn't experienced.

Also, you don't NEED to update your operating system. I'm still running Windows XP and it works just fine with all the programs I use. The only reason to update would be if you are running a gaming computer and/or you want to keep up with the latest technology. Also, purchasing a developer copy is a lot cheaper if you plan on building your own computer. (I'm not sure if they still make developer copies but my Windows XP is one)

OEM copies are much cheaper than the boxed copies from stores anyway. Seriously. Just did a quick search: Boxed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate - £206. OEM Copy - £150. Who'd pay £50 for a box and a manual? They're easy to pick up if you know where you are looking.

But, yeah, the Windows = Viruses thing is a total myth. It's bad anti-virus software and sloppy browsing/downloading habits that let the viruses in, not your browser or OS. Witness my Windows PC running a not-up-to-date version of IE that hasn't had a virus in a decade.

On topic: I'd actually love to see the Xboned suffer the same way D3 did. Especially if it has release day issues that give it the bad publicity.

It's always possible that the servers could go down, but Xbox Live already deals with so much traffic that a ping every 24 hours to reauth your games is like nothing. This isn't even in the same ballpark.

Tell that to the PS3 owners who's online multiplayer option was down for weeks due to an attack from hackers.

It's not hard to crash a server if someone really wanted to. And Microsoft is painting a target on their back for Online Anonymous groups.

They just keep digging themselves into a deeper hole.

There's really no saving themselves after this one.

Tell that to the PS3 owners who's online multiplayer option was down for weeks due to an attack from hackers.

It's not hard to crash a server if someone really wanted to. And Microsoft is painting a target on their back for Online Anonymous groups.

That was Sony's own fault. They did not encrypt the information, they left it in plain text. Of course, precautions have been implicated to keep this from happening again

That's what I'm concerned about, too. :/

Well, one of the things.

Ho ho ho, something's going on with the Xbox One. They stopped us (Game Stop) from taking any more preorders of them, regardless if we still had some left in our allotment to preorder. The SKU was completely pulled from our system.

o_O They haven't told us why, though. I'm very curious.

...On the other hand, PS4 surges ahead pretty strongly biggrin.gif

If anyone wants a good laugh, check out the comments on nearly every one of Xbox's Facebook posts. So many text images of middle fingers and PS4 raves. It's hilarious xd.png

Ho ho ho, something's going on with the Xbox One. They stopped us (Game Stop) from taking any more preorders of them, regardless if we still had some left in our allotment to preorder. The SKU was completely pulled from our system.

o_O They haven't told us why, though. I'm very curious.

...On the other hand, PS4 surges ahead pretty strongly biggrin.gif

Iiiinteresting~

I tried looking into it, but there just seems to be two rumors floating around right now: All of the available units have been preordered/Microsoft didn't make enough to satisfy anymore preorders, or that Game Stop is unhappy with the Xbone's policies.

This should play out interestingly either way, or if it's something else. There has to be a reason that Game Stop is halting preorders like that.

Edited by shikaru

Iiiinteresting~

I tried looking into it, but there just seems to be two rumors floating around right now: All of the available units have been preordered/Microsoft didn't make enough to satisfy anymore preorders, or that Game Stop is unhappy with the Xbone's policies.

This should play out interestingly either way, or if it's something else. There has to be a reason that Game Stop is halting preorders like that.

Actually, I just found out some interesting info. It seems Microsoft has "fixed" the policies that everyone was complaining about. Xbox One no longer requires an internet reconnection every 24 hours, and there are no fees about sharing/selling physical game copies.