rilavision

RIP Xbox One

Yup, which means all of the innovative stuff with sharing game licenses and reselling digital games is gone too.

Yippee.

Well, I guess the Internet won.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I was coming here to post about it. That's amazing. No more DRM or 24-hour connect! This is beautiful! I'm glad they realized that people weren't happy and it was NOT okay.

Yup, which means all of the innovative stuff with sharing game licenses and reselling digital games is gone too.

Yippee.

Well, I guess the Internet won.

They could still do that, they just have to figure out a way to do it that doesn't censorkip.gif over what is clearly the majority of their customers--I mean, if it was just a vocal minority they wouldn't have caved. They clearly decided that this would hurt their sales more than help them, so...

I'm wondering if that's why GS stores have pulled the SKU, until this gets sorted out. I'm wondering if that means that MS will be potentially working on a version of the system that has these changes built in and doesn't need a patch to function the way people want it to.

I still don't trust it, but now i can at least consider getting a used one or one after a price drop some day.

Still pretty sore about the rape joke, their entire attitude until this point, and that they tried to do it in the first place, though.

I still don't have any plans on getting one, and there's still some issues (the Kinect thing being a big one, as well some of the things surrounding their handling of this fiasco...), but overall I'm glad to see this happen. Hopefully this sets the example and shows companies that people won't stand for this stuff.

A loss, yeah, but the innovation wasn't worth the crappy policies for disc-based games and the 24-hour check in thing.

Edited by shikaru

Microsoft's reversal of their policies has made Xbox owners I've spoken to open to getting one. I was surprised and happy they backpedaled, they actually listened to their customers. I still don't want one, though.

Still even with this change, the kinect is not optional. They only listened when people raged about it over and over again and seen what it was doing to their sales. They clearly didn't care what their consumers wanted before and they still don't care now.

I still don't want an Xbox Done and I most definitely will NOT be getting one after any price-drops or so forth. They made it undesirable to me.

I'm just officially over Xbox Done, their one interest is the money which is why they made these changes. If they can turn it off, they can turn it on once sales go up. Who knows but they've burnt bridges with many costumers already, they've lost their appeal.

I'm still buying a PS4. There's no word on the Kinect deal, it's way more expensive, and it has like no games I want anyway.

But I'm still really surprised they gave in. After Don Mattrick's "360" comment I really thought that solidified the fact that they weren't gonna budge. But I'm still just as disinterested.

Edited by Switch

I'm just officially over Xbox Done, their one interest is the money which is why they made these changes. If they can turn it off, they can turn it on once sales go up. Who knows but they've burnt bridges with many costumers already, they've lost their appeal.

Yeah, of course they care about the money--they're a company.

However, a company should care about it's customers, too, since that's kinda where all the money comes from. But a lot of companies forget that and just assume customers will fork over whatever they demand without doing more than grumbling a little. :/

However, I'm worried about them being able to turn it back on, too. That would be suicide to do too quickly, people would drop them faster than a sack of bricks, but a few years down the line?

One of the problems I think is that MS was waaaaay ahead of it's time. The current % of the global gamer population that has access to reliable internet of a reasonable speed isn't yet where it needs to be to make an always-online future a good idea.

The consumer base just isn't ready for that kind of thing. In enough time, I could see it going over alright. But I worry about them trying to turn it back on again before the market is ready.

Jesus, you guys always have to find something wrong with Microsoft... Sure they did things to get more money, and it seems that they don't care about their customers. But does Burger King or McDonalds care about their customers with their selling of high calorie and fat food? No. They want money. They don't care. Don't go and say "Microsoft doesn't care about their customers" because anything that is mass produced usually benefits the company and does not show care toward customers.

I'm an avid Microsoft fan. If you don't like the Kinect, just face it away from you.

Jesus, you guys always have to find something wrong with Microsoft... Sure they did things to get more money, and it seems that they don't care about their customers. But does Burger King or McDonalds care about their customers with their selling of high calorie and fat food? No. They want money. They don't care. Don't go and say "Microsoft doesn't care about their customers" because anything that is mass produced usually benefits the company and does not show care toward customers.

I'm an avid Microsoft fan. If you don't like the Kinect, just face it away from you.

There is a difference though, the two examples you posted are things that people want to buy, and they offer incentives to buy them(fast & cheap), even if they are bad for them. Before the changes, Microsoft wasn't giving any incentive for customers to buy their system, it is a luxury item at best, and as a luxury item it has to be appealing to customers or they will save their money or take it elsewhere.

By essentially saying, "we will do what we want never mind what you think" it gives the customer a bad taste. Think of it this way, Burger King even had the slogan "Have it your way" which appealed to customers as it made them feel like they had some control and that the customer had some say in the product they got, Microsoft did the exact opposite. And have you not noticed that once the health food craze kicked in, places like McDonalds and Burger King started offering healthy options, because it was what the customers wanted? Yes, Microsoft eventually caved, but the initial inclusion of such unpopular features and their reluctance to change them has left customers wary of them. Frankly, any unpopularity Microsoft has earned over this system is well earned.

Edited by Nectaris

The difference between those companies is: McDonalds is serving customers what they want. Microsoft's policy is like going to McDonalds and ordering a Big Mac, only to receive a small salad without dressing. When you complain about it, they tell you to deal with it and if you don't like it, you should have bought from the McDonalds down the street.

I have nothing against Microsoft. I have EVERYTHING against the Xbox Department of Microsoft. They are more for money and less for the customer. You can only have that business tactic for so long before people start complaining and you start losing a ton of money. And, they must have realized that with all the changes they are doing. There is absolutely no reason that Nintendo or Sony can do something and Xbox can't.

And yes, a business is a business. It needs to make money. But it can only survive if it has customers. You can't make money without customers. You can't alienate your source of income, otherwise you'll fail to be a business.

Video Game companies can crash just as fast as any other company. Just ask 1980's Atari.

So we should just not care if a company takes into consideration what the consumers want? Yes, every company wants to make money. However, it is a bad business practice to not care about your customers at all. One that people should not just blindly allow because "that's how big business is". That's a horrid excuse, and if that's how big business is, we should strive to see that changed. If I feel that a company is focusing entirely on "how much money can I make" without taking into consideration what their customers want, I am not giving them my money.

I'm not some "Microsoft hater". I see problems that they made as a company. As for the Kinect issue, it's the entire premise of it being always connected that I hate. Yes, I can just face it away, but by buying it I have still supported that business decision. After I give them my money, it doesn't matter what I do with it. They see that as one more 'happy customer', and one more person in support of what they're doing.

If you don't like the Kinect, just face it away from you.

Thing is people seem to ignore the fact it can be turned off. I've read on Wiki that they said it can be turned off so it's not as big of a deal as everyone is making it out to be.

Apparently last night they changed it so you now DON'T have to have Internet connection and Discs no longer require online authentication!!! biggrin.gif

Okay it was on this thread already. I am soo happy now if they'd change the Kinect thing I'd be willing to get one this Christmas instead of waiting for Halo 5. I'm so freaking happy right now. biggrin.gif

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

We have a right to our opinions of what we feel is wrong about Microsoft. If you feel like that's a problem then you shouldn't be here commenting on how we feel and what we find wrong with Microsoft's Xbox One and what they're doing we're entitled to do just that I don't see how that's such a bad thing. If you want to complain about how others are complaining about Microsoft just simply make your own topic. It's a discussion and in discussions there will be people, mainly majority of the people that have posted in this topic that don't approve of what they're doing with the system. Like it has been said before, to appeal to the costumers you must indeed CARE about the costumers and their needs. Clearly, Microsoft failed to do that.

also, just thought some of you should have a look at this if you haven't already:

Cliffy B's response to the changes

Ah, I have a whole rant on the "used games murder devs" stuff, but that's probably it's own topic, lol.

I will say, though, that I'm all for devs getting a slice of the pie if they can't be bothered to make games worth keeping around (we see infinity more FPS games being traded in than things like Portal or JRPGs, y'know)--I just want it to be something that's more fair to everybody.

If you screw over the retailers, they won't carry your product so you lose money.

But if you screw over the customers while making the retailers happy, they won't want to BUY your product and thus you lose money.

And if you make the retailers and the gamers happy but screw the devs, then they can't keep making games and go under.

So, you really need to find a way to make all three happy enough. It's NOT going to be a simple solution.

MS's way wasn't the solution because it censorkip.gif ed gamers over--and possibly retailers, too. :/

For people who are upset about the "family sharing" getting removed:

So, apparently, it wasn't gonna be as awesome as it sounded. You'd be able to allow any 10 people you set as family (no matter where in the world) to play a 15-45 minute demo of the game, at which point they would be taken to the marketplace to buy the game itself.

So, totally underwhelming feature IMO. I borrow a game off my brother, I want to play the whole damn thing, not shell out money I don't have to play it--if I could afford my own copy I'd be buying one!

When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.

Insert standard "comments may contain questionable content" disclaimer here

Source

Edited by KageSora

I have nothing against Microsoft. I have EVERYTHING against the Xbox Department of Microsoft.

^ This.

Don Mattrick is an idiot who doesn't understand the needs of his consumer base. They never should have pushed these features in the first place; introducing them has proven to be a PR nightmare, and now backpedalling makes it look like he's doing it purely to appease the people yelling at him. So now with the majority of their potential buyers side-eyeing the console, they've set themselves up for a really hard climb to win back their customers.

Microsoft as a whole is great, they've pushed bad OS's from time to time (eg. Windows ME, Vista, and 8) but they've always bounced back, and Office is so successful that it's even available for Macs. But the Xbox?

user posted image

Does anyone know if Xbox is still doing the "If you get banned from Xbox Live, you lose all of your games you purchased digitally"?

user posted image

I thought that was ridiculous.

And, I think it's a little too late for the changes. People have a bad taste in their mouth about the system. And, who says once everyone purchases the system, they won't change it again.

And it doesn't negate the fact that, at E3, they had the Xbox One games playing on High Powered Gaming Computers and NOT the Xbox One system. So, those graphics they showed are completely fabricated. You don't even have a clear view of what the system is capable of.

They done goofed.

Does anyone know if Xbox is still doing the "If you get banned from Xbox Live, you lose all of your games you purchased digitally"?

user posted image

I thought that was ridiculous.

And, I think it's a little too late for the changes. People have a bad taste in their mouth about the system. And, who says once everyone purchases the system, they won't change it again.

And it doesn't negate the fact that, at E3, they had the Xbox One games playing on High Powered Gaming Computers and NOT the Xbox One system. So, those graphics they showed are completely fabricated. You don't even have a clear view of what the system is capable of.

They done goofed.

I'm pretty sure that's a thing that 360 does, so probably, yes.

In regards to the gaming computers thing... it's more likely that those were dev kits. Sony would have been using them too. This is pretty standard operation procedure in the console developing world.

What got me about this is that they turned around and said that everyone did that.

Cue everyone else pointing out that no, they didn't.

What got me about this is that they turned around and said that everyone did that.

Cue everyone else pointing out that no, they didn't.

The Kingdom Hearts dev team did/does. I'm sure plenty other do as well. Like I said, there's nothing unusual about using a dev kit.

In regards to the gaming computers thing... it's more likely that those were dev kits. Sony would have been using them too. This is pretty standard operation procedure in the console developing world.

Though, apparently, the hardware running them was higher end graphics-wise than what the xbone is. That's what raised the controversy, if it was a pc running the same specs no one would care. Also the indie devs who showed during Sony's press conference confirmed they were running their demos on ps4 hardware. They were using dev kits, yes, but it was ps4 hardware running the ps4 os, not a pc running windows 7 with higher end hardware.

As for the banning = losing games thing... I have no sympathy for the type of people who get themselves banned from games so I don't honestly care. If you're a jerk to people or if you cheat or whatever, you deserve a punishment. If you aren't doing anything wrong then there's nothing to worry about.

Edited by shikaru

As for the banning = losing games thing... I have no sympathy for the type of people who get themselves banned from games so I don't honestly care. If you're a jerk to people or if you cheat or whatever, you deserve a punishment. If you aren't doing anything wrong then there's nothing to worry about.

I'm not an online multiplayer person, but i've been told that you can get banned from a personal server by people who claim you're "cheating" and then you can get your Xbox Live account banned. So, basically YouTube Copyright "Infringement" rules. Anyone and their mom can claim you're bad and get your account banned. Of course, I don't know this from first hand, only from people i've talked to.

@7Deadly$ins?:

A Developer Kit is completely different from just running the games on a High End Gaming Computer with higher hardware capabilities then the product you're selling.

Edited by MysticTiger