rilavision

RIP Xbox One

I was watching the Xbox One press conference with my sister, it was the most offensive thing ever. My sister (whom was a victim of rape, sadly :/) bought the first xbox that had came out as well as the 360 and is completely even against getting the One. It's such a shame they would resort to even joking about rape or trying to mask rape in jokes. Completely unacceptable.

I never got the original, but I do have a 360 I plan on keeping until it dies (it's my second, actually, my first was one of the originals this one works much better~).

But man, it just...

I mean, I get what they were trying to do--that's what disgusts and saddens me most.

It's... Actually pretty typical trash talk, and it's a symptom of the rampant sexism, misogyny, and very pro-rape-culture that is a major internalized part of a lot of the gaming culture and industry. It's a symptom of a larger problem that nobody wants to acknowledge. It literally makes me physically sick to see the insane anti-woman crap that a lot of gamers (especially the dudebro crowd) spew.

And MS tried to get in on that, to appeal to them, rather than showing them how you didn't need to be that way to have fun and to trash talk.

Edited by KageSora

I actually cried, having to "break up" with Master Chief. Microsoft has lost a customer in my family after many years of supporting the Xbox and Xbox 360, I just can't justify spending $400 on something i don't need for only 1 game. Especially when i've spent hundreds on games for the 360 that I won't be able to use on it.

To put my opinion of the xBox 1's overall design and appeal, all I'm going to say is that the summary of every one of the console's designer's IQs is exactly the number they slapped after "xBox".

I'm sticking with my PC hencefourth.

And MS tried to get in on that, to appeal to them, rather than showing them how you didn't need to be that way to have fun and to trash talk.

1) The remarks weren't scripted.

2) They apologized.

Doesn't make it go away, but it doesn't look like it was a deliberate decision to be "edgy".

1) The remarks weren't scripted.

2) They apologized.

Doesn't make it go away, but it doesn't look like it was a deliberate decision to be "edgy".

1. Maybe not, but you can't prove that the guy who was doing it wasn't trying to copy "normal" trash talk to appeal to the dudebro crown, and he was representing them by taking part in their presentation thus it reflects on them anyway. (Also, can you source that? Because I have people I know saying both it was and it wasn't, and it'd be nice to have a source to point people to!)

2. They probably only apologized when the realized it might actually be bad for business because of the outrage--I'm 99% sure they wouldn't have given two censorkip.gif s if there hadn't been such outrage over it. Sure, that's same as any company, really--they don't care if they don't get caught--but that doesn't make me like it any more.

"This comment was offensive and we apologize," Phil Spencer, corporate vice president of Microsoft Studios, said in a statement to The Huffington Post. "At Microsoft, being open and respectful with others is central to our code of conduct and our values. Bullying and harassment of any kind is not condoned and is taken very seriously. We remain committed to make gaming fun for everyone, and in that effort, we must lead by example.”

"The comments in question during the Killer Instinct demo were not scripted," a Microsoft spokesperson added to told Kotaku. "The demo was meant to include friendly gameplay banter and there was there was no ill intent.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/10/m..._n_3417890.html

Edit: I suggest avoiding the comments on the linked article, as they are horrible. Sadly, they are representative of most of the general internet commentary on this issue.

Edited by siliconrose

Thanks, though I gotta admit--coming from a big company like MS, I'm not sure how much I trust that they aren't lying through their teeth to try to deflect some of the negativity (since, like I said, I don't think they actually care unless they get caught--there's a lot of people and companies like that, sadly).

But at least they didn't just go with it and support it.

I can't stand systems or games that force me to have the internet. They become unplayable if you feel like taking your system up to the cabin or camping, which I do A LOT.

THIS. The second I heard about the 'having to connect to the internet every 24 hours' thing, that was it for me. I like being able to take my consoles around with me, thank you very much. And I despise having to connect to the internet in order to play games, I can barely stand having to connect to Steam in order to play Skyrim or Bejeweled Blitz. I'm not doing that on a console.

My biggest gripe about people "defending" the xb-one is that they compare the DRM to the Steam store.. I mean it has been about a decade since Gamestop stopped buying PC games, and its rare today to find one that still sells physical copies of PC and not Digital Content Download, and even then the selection is extremely limited. Steam offers Digital Download Content, but the game is permanently associated with your steam account.. By nature Digital Download Content cannot be used again once it gets associated to an account or redeemed. The DRM in xbone games is in Physical copies of the game, not just Digital Download Content. How can someone compare physical games to digital content download without seeing the flawed logic anyways..? o,o'

My biggest gripe about people "defending" the xb-one is that they compare the DRM to the Steam store.. I mean it has been about a decade since Gamestop stopped buying PC games, and its rare today to find one that still sells physical copies of PC and not Digital Content Download, and even then the selection is extremely limited. Steam offers Digital Download Content, but the game is permanently associated with your steam account.. By nature Digital Download Content cannot be used again once it gets associated to an account or redeemed. The DRM in xbone games is in Physical copies of the game, not just Digital Download Content. How can someone compare physical games to digital content download without seeing the flawed logic anyways..? o,o'

Isn't it pretty much the same thing then? :/

okay did you guys see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g

Don Mattrick - "fortunately we do have a product for people who can't get connectivity, its called xbox 360"

Interviewer - stick with the 360, thats your answer to people who dont like it?

DOn - if you have zero access to the internet, that is an offline device.

and now all of you Microsoft fan boys can go stuff it about not understanding what Microsofts aim is with the xbox one and our complaints about the Internet requirement.

obivously, Microsoft doesnt care about the fact that majority of people dont have unlimited internet at home and pay for a set number of MB usage, for multiple devices, and most of these plans have outrageous overage fees.

its not abotu not having connectivity for most of us. its about how much the blasted thing will cost us adults who pay the cable and phone bills when this new console goes over the MB usage because the kids that play them dont keep track of how many MB's they use for playing.

congrads on single hadnedly handing this gens console wars over to play station.

Don Mattrick - "fortunately we do have a product for people who can't get connectivity, its called xbox 360"

Aaaaaannnnnddddd that is why the hubby and I aren't too concerned with getting an xbone.

See our 360 is connected all the time...except when the wireless for it goes out for no ****ing reason and then it decides it's forgotten how to reconnect.....

I'm in a big city and the reliability of my Internet is a joke. I can't imagine those folks out in the country that can't even get Internet (and *that* is a great reason to get a game console....)

Saw this and instantly thought of this thread. laugh.gif Ohhhh, Micro$soft is going down in a sea of flames.

user posted image

...I'll bring the marshmallows!

Edited by Gamekatt101

okay did you guys see this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxkEe_l7S3g

and now all of you Microsoft fan boys can go stuff it about not understanding what Microsofts aim is with the xbox one and our complaints about the Internet requirement.

obivously, Microsoft doesnt care about the fact that majority of people dont have unlimited internet at home and pay for a set number of MB usage, for multiple devices, and most of these plans have outrageous overage fees.

its not abotu not having connectivity for most of us. its about how much the blasted thing will cost us adults who pay the cable and phone bills when this new console goes over the MB usage because the kids that play them dont keep track of how many MB's they use for playing.

congrads on single hadnedly handing this gens console wars over to play station.

Yeah, I posted that earlier. The arrogance is amazing. The xbox one NEEDS to crash and burn so they can actually learn this kind of stuff is not cool. Because as Don Mattrick so obviously demonstrated, gamers voicing their concerns mean nothing. They'll only care if sales are bad.

Yeah, I posted that earlier. The arrogance is amazing. The xbox one NEEDS to crash and burn so they can actually learn this kind of stuff is not cool. Because as Don Mattrick so obviously demonstrated, gamers voicing their concerns mean nothing. They'll only care if sales are bad.

And that is why I'm not buying one, unless there are serious changes.

Did they already do this BS over Twitter a little while ago?

But if you're on holiday, or in the hospital or have no electricity, that won't matter, will it? Since you won't be playing the system anyway.

My point was that you wouldn't be able to play on the XBox One when you came back, due to not having been able to do the daily internet connection thing when you were away.

My point was that you wouldn't be able to play on the XBox One when you came back, due to not having been able to do the daily internet connection thing when you were away.

When you come back, all you need to do is hook up your system. If you don't hook up your system in the first place you'd have never been able to play it before, either. So, you come back, turn on your system, hook it up if you didn't have it hooked up, and let it do it's little thing and then you'll be able to play again.

It's not like it'll permanently disable it or something. I also can't imagine that, unless there was a system update or an update for the game that you wanted to play, that you'd be unable to start playing your game while any other updates download in the background.

If you have any updates that are needed, you just download them and then play just like how it is now.

...wow, this is sad. I have a PC that I love, with a few games on it. Honestly, I don't do much gaming. (lack of time)

However, this has driven me away from Microsoft for a very long time.

Crash and burn, Xbone.

*pats Toshiba laptop*

but the main point, Kage are these two things.

if i buy the game from a retailer and have the physical game disk, why the heck cant i play it off grid, why am i required to re-register the same flipping game every 24 hours.

not to mention, like i said previously, a lot of us with internet at home pay by the MB and dont have unlimited; and we have multiple devices using that same internet source.

not to mention, take peopel in my area. i have cable for my internet. so that means if my TV goes out because of these things called Hurricanes we get every freaking year; my internet goes out as well.

my power is still on. the main reason to have a gamming console down here is so that when the cable/internet is knocked out by a Hurricane that can last from anywhere between 12 and 36 hours to get out of my area; plus up to 2 weeks to get the cable restored depending on the damage; we have the gamming console for entertainment.

so i drop $500 for a gamming console, + untolds amount of $'s for the controllers, battery packs, rechargers, and games. and the time when i need my console for suplemental entertainment because a hurricane has knocked out my interent and cable; and the best Microsoft can say is

*shurg* you should have stuck with the 360.

talk abotu having your head stuck up your own rear and your ears full of your own crap. thats not a way to treat your consumers, and many businesses who have taken that approach are now out of business due to that

its the third console curse. This system is destined to fail.

Given that I pretty much only play second-hand Wrestling games on my 360 I can't see myself getting a Xbone. To be fair I wouldn't be getting a PS4 either (see previous mention of actually playing very few console games), I'll just stick to my PC.

Although I will point out that 'cracking' PC games wasn't originally about Piracy. Piracy has developed from it, yes, but the reason PC gamers did it in the first place was because we got bored of having to swap disks every 5 minutes. Baldurs Gate 2 I'm looking at you here. Certainly from all the gamers I know and speak to personally the Steam model has *reduced* piracy. Cheaper, and no fart-arsing around swapping disks.

but the main point, Kage are these two things.

if i buy the game from a retailer and have the physical game disk, why the heck cant i play it off grid, why am i required to re-register the same flipping game every 24 hours.

not to mention, like i said previously, a lot of us with internet at home pay by the MB and dont have unlimited; and we have multiple devices using that same internet source.

not to mention, take peopel in my area.  i have cable for my internet.  so that means if my TV goes out because of these things called Hurricanes we get every freaking year; my internet goes out as well.

my power is still on.  the main reason to have a gamming console down here is so that when the cable/internet is knocked out by a Hurricane that can last from anywhere between 12 and 36 hours to get out of my area; plus up to 2 weeks to get the cable restored depending on the damage; we have the gamming console for entertainment.

so i drop $500 for a gamming console, + untolds amount of $'s for the controllers, battery packs, rechargers, and games.  and the time when i need my console for suplemental entertainment because a hurricane has knocked out my interent and cable; and the best Microsoft can say is

*shurg* you should have stuck with the 360.

talk abotu having your head stuck up your own rear and your ears full of your own crap.  thats not a way to treat your consumers, and many businesses who have taken that approach are now out of business due to that

Oh, I know. I know.

I'm probably one of the loudest people in my disgust for this system and the always online thing just pissese me the hell off so much. I'm just saying it's not permanent disablement. If you CAN connect it and don't have to worry about those things, it's not a huge deal for you.

But it's still total BS. It was one of the first reasons I became massively wary of the XBoned. The no used games made me highly annoyed, and the rape joke + their attitude about the unhappy gamers just sealed the deal on me not getting one.

As for always online... My brother games online a ton, so two of us trying to at the same time generally causes some lag--it's annoying enough if he's playing and I'm trying to download something because he comes up ever 10 minutes to "reset the connection" and I tell him "screw that it's slow because I'm trying to download something--too bad for you" (since both of us tend to be home and online at the same time, it's not like I can always just wait for him to not be home).

Not to mention it's a bit of work to run a cable to my system, which is why I'm at 18 months of having the cable and not having actually hooked it up yet. My system is on another floor with several walls between, so the wi-fi connection isn't always the best. Funny thing is my PS3 almost never times out with the WiFi connection, but my 360 drops it like it's on fire. :/ So unless the Xboned is better there, it would still require a bit of work to hook up.

And I'm lucky enough that, if I ever get around to actually hooking my stuff up, I'll be able to play online without worrying about a cap or not having internet (since outages here aren't very frequent, thankfully).

I can only imagine how much worse this is for people like you who do have to worry about outages and who have a cap. Or for people who don't have a connection that's good enough. Or for people who flat-out don't have a connection.

Say what you want, but I love Nintendo.

You know you screwed up when the good guy Nintendo takes shots at you.

I totally agree, and have been saying that for years.

There's a reason first party Nintendo games tend to get some of the highest credit amounts at GS even YEARS after they were released.

I mean, it's waaaaaaay old, but I still got $5 for Yoshi's Touch & Go (and it was a hard choice to part with it, but I haven't played it in ages and don't think I will play it again with my current backlog). Generally games that old you get less than $3, and you're often lucky if you get $1.

And that means that they need to focus not only on story and characters, but on gameplay. I love the story in the Assassin's Creed games, I really do. But I sold all but 3, and the only reason I still have it is because I haven't beaten it yet. And I sold them because, while fun, the gameplay isn't something I want to keep coming back and dealing with, too many issues and frustrations to make it worth my while.

Whereas something like inFAMOUS is incredible--It's the game I've played most, and it's actually a problem because I keep finding myself playing it instead of playing games I haven't beaten yet because of the fun gameplay even once I've memorized the story.

Devs need to make their games worth playing more than once. The problem is, a lot of them are counting on the multiplayer to keep people holding onto the game. Not exactly a great thing when they come out with a new version of the same game every year. Also not really going to help them with people like me who are in the single-player crowd.

My ideal combination is Nintendo console + PC. I'm covered for most games.

My brother still keeps his Super Smash Bros in an honorary place. Even I got hooked on it, and I generally hate fighting and multiplayer games. And as far as I know, it still goes very close to it's original price. As is with any other Nintendo game.

And let's put aside great games, but Nintendo is the most innovative one. As far as I remember, Wi was the first console with motion playing, and their 3DS is the only device capable of 3D games. I'd buy it just for that.

The only AC that frustrated me was the first one. I still adore the rest of them, but then again, I'm a type of player that will forget gameplay as long as the story is good, and on top of it, I'm a history nerd.

My brother still keeps his Super Smash Bros in an honorary place. Even I got hooked on it, and I generally hate fighting and multiplayer games. And as far as I know, it still goes very close to it's original price. As is with any other Nintendo game.

And let's put aside great games, but Nintendo is the most innovative one. As far as I remember, Wi was the first console with motion playing, and their 3DS is the only device capable of 3D games. I'd buy it just for that.

The only AC that frustrated me was the first one. I still adore the rest of them, but then again, I'm a type of player that will forget gameplay as long as the story is good, and on top of it, I'm a history nerd.

Yep. I've had people come into my store shocked that Skyward Sword, brand new is still going for $50, and used for $45. They're shocked it's not so much cheaper by now. And we just tell them "Yeah, it's a Zelda game. Like Mario and Pokemon, it's gonna retain value because it's a game a lot of people want and very few people get rid of in comparison to how many people buy it."

Exact same thing happens with Mario and Pokemon games. I get the "But it's been out for years! Shouldn't it be a lot cheaper by now?" thing pretty regularly. Parent's are shocked when Platinum is still going for around $30.

Nintendo does a good job of making popular games that retain value because people don't like parting with them and remain steadily in demand thus keeping the prices from dropping too much.

As for AC, there are just some gameplay mechanics that make it really freakin' frustrating for me. Namely in 3, where Connor just does his own thing instead of what I'm trying to do no matter how hard I try sometimes. :/ I can't very well focus on the story if I can't advance the story, after all.

All main-series pokemon games are worth a lot these days. *nods* Especially HeartGold and SoulSilver, which now sell for more preowned than they did as brand new. And that's usually without the pokewalker, too. (although those are cheap as hell)

Microsoft really dug themselves deep this time. Every time someone asks if they can preorder the Xbox one at my store, I just want to shake my head and whisper, "Save yourself!"