rilavision

RIP Xbox One

Xbox is banking TOO MUCH on the fact that only "real gamers" (aka: those addicted to their games, like Halo) have enough money to carry their system. It's an absolutely terrible business move. Any other video game company would have flat out said no to even HALF of the stuff Microsoft is pulling. They have to realize that computer gamers and console gamers aren't the same. Whereas, with a computer, you probably have internet access all the time. With a console, you probably don't have Wifi or a wire to your modem.

I would NOT be surprised if a ton of parents buy the XBone for their child, only to return it because it doesn't work (aka: they didn't realize online access was necessary).

I know, that's what I keep sayin'. They're seriously underestimating the casual and family markets that are gonna SWARM to PS4 and WiiU for their console needs.

I'm making it a point to inform people about the problems with the Xboned so that no families end up buying on and getting mad at us.

If they know the restrictions and still get it, that's their choice and I respect that--but I want them to make an INFORMED choice, not just buying it because they think it'll be the same as the 360.

What should I do, carry the thing to the nearest free WiFi spot so I don't get in trouble?

It's not that you'll be in trouble, you just won't be able to play your games until they authenticate you. :/ It's stupid as hell, though.

Seems the only bad restriction to the XboxOne is the 24 hr internet thing, as far as the used games go it's up to developers if they want to make their games not able to be resold and I'm betting the majority if any will use that option

The problem is, though, that in order for the games to be resold, it sounds like individuals retail companies will have to make contracts with individual devs--how else will they become an authorized retailer for those games?

There's also no telling how hard it'll be on the retailers. I would imagine that we'd be forced to send all games we receive in trade to be reauthorized for sale, otherwise it'll just demand payment from whoever pops the disc in, on top of they payment they made for the game. It may be that only certain locations will be able to take them in trade, if we need to do anything in-store since my location doesn't have internet access so we couldn't do anything.

If it's handled on a USER basis, like they de-authorize it themselves, then there's no way places like GameStop will take them for the same reason we don't take used PC games in trade. We won't be able to be sure that the previous owner did that, and we won't resell a game if we think there's a chance that nobody else will be able to play it. And we're not gonna buy something back if we know that we'll never be able to resell it.

Additionally, a lot of people hate the prices places like GameStop give (I do get WHY we have to give those prices, even if I don't like them), so they prefer to sell them to friends or online. With this new thing in place, you will no longer be able to buy games from friends, or from craigslist or ebay or such places. You will be forced to go to an authorized retailer, and if you don't happen to like that retailer you no longer have a choice in the matter.

Not to mention I'd imagine it'd be hard for small local stores to get deals with the devs to become authorized retailers, so that'll allow bigger stores to finish pushing the little local guys out of business.

MS really needs to give a lot more info on how that'll go down before people are gonna be willing to consider it a lesser restriction. Unless they've released more info that I didn't catch, in which case I'd love links so I can read up because I wanna be able to pass along accurate information to customers.

As for other bad restrictions...

You cannot rent or lend games. This means that if you wanna let your buddy play a game, you have to give him access to your account and won't be able to play your games during the time you're letting him access your account. A LOT of people bring games over to a friend's house and are pissed off by the "must connect ever HOUR if you're on a different console" thing, in addition to not being able to swap or lend games. A lot of people do that.

There's also the "you can only give a game one time, and only to a person on your friend list for 30 or more days, and it can never be regifted" thing--that's not allowing for lending, that's permanent transfer.

As for other bad restrictions...

You cannot rent or lend games. This means that if you wanna let your buddy play a game, you have to give him access to your account and won't be able to play your games during the time you're letting him access your account. A LOT of people bring games over to a friend's house and are pissed off by the "must connect ever HOUR if you're on a different console" thing, in addition to not being able to swap or lend games. A lot of people do that.

There's also the "you can only give a game one time, and only to a person on your friend list for 30 or more days, and it can never be regifted" thing--that's not allowing for lending, that's permanent transfer.

So if I gave my friend a game to play she'd have to access my account to play it or can she play it directly from my console while she's at her house? I don't get that part at all.

I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about this because I don't. I mean, I'm mostly a PC person and I don't play that many games anyways (or I play oldies, like Baldur's Gate). However, a bunch of friends of mine have Xbox 360s and I play with them and, from what information I've gathered, the people I know aren't interested in the Xbox One at all. I mean, I get that some people aren't affected by the restrictions or want the exclusive games and that's why those people would get the Xbox One, but I've yet to hear an actual positive for that system. Come to think of it, I haven't seen too many positive features in the PS4 either. Things that should be offered but aren't by the Xbox One don't really count because those were kind of expected. I don't know a single this about the PS4 that blew people out of the water. But, like I said, I don't know tons about this, so I'd be thankful if someone can enlighten me if I'm way off.

So, in short, in a match between PS4 and Xbox One, I'd chose PS4, but I'm honestly fine playing on my PC because (thankfully) my Internet connection is usually great and I really don't need to use a console because I haven't fallen in love with any exclusives as of yet.

So if I gave my friend a game to play she'd have to access my account to play it or can she play it directly from my console while she's at her house? I don't get that part at all.

Basically, if you give your disc to your friend, she has to log in using YOUR account on her console, so if you access from YOUR console at your home she won't be able to. Otherwise, you'll have to have her access from your account on your console.

If, however, she attempts to access the game from her account on her console, she will be prompted to pay a fee--possibly up to the full retail price--to play the game, even if you're only lending it to her for a week. I imagine it's a non-refundable fee.

Whereas with the PS4 (or any other console or handheld, really), you just hand them the disc and they can play it without having to pay a fee.

I'm not going to pretend that I know a lot about this because I don't. I mean, I'm mostly a PC person and I don't play that many games anyways (or I play oldies, like Baldur's Gate). However, a bunch of friends of mine have Xbox 360s and I play with them and, from what information I've gathered, the people I know aren't interested in the Xbox One at all. I mean, I get that some people aren't affected by the restrictions or want the exclusive games and that's why those people would get the Xbox One, but I've yet to hear an actual positive for that system. Come to think of it, I haven't seen too many positive features in the PS4 either. Things that should be offered but aren't by the Xbox One don't really count because those were kind of expected. I don't know a single this about the PS4 that blew people out of the water. But, like I said, I don't know tons about this, so I'd be thankful if someone can enlighten me if I'm way off.

I'm not sure about the supposed positives of the PS4 myself, but I'm getting one because it gives me the basic features that should be standard features and I haven't actually heard anything horrifyingly negative about it. Besides, I will wanna play games this coming gen, so I'll need a system for that.

With me, I'll by a system that has some negatives and some positives if it has games I want and the negatives aren't horribly bad deal breakers.

What happened this time is that the Xbone just had every potential deal breaker for me rolled into one package, while all the "cons" to the system I've seen people talking about aren't deal breakers for me or things that I can easily ignore if I don't want to make use of them. The Xbone's cons, though, are NOT things that I can opt out of and they're all things that I'm very much against, so...

~Please remember to attack the topic not each other. It is acceptable to agree to disagree.~

Some of the PS4 positives for me are the solid state drive and improved graphics engine, the sharing feature that allows you to switch your game to your friend's console during a particularly difficult part and let them accomplish/beat something you couldn't, the major support for indie developers, the improved online play, the improved Eye features, the suspend mode, the better background downloading, switching of the applications without disruption, and the improved clutch of the controller.

^^

Lets just admit it, Microsoft is terrible at making computers and terrible at making game consoles, What they should of done is looked back in gaming history and went, Now what does the the consumer like, they might of done that then chucked it in the toilet and gave us what we hate, either that or Microsoft is playing games with us and using our hate and anger to trick us and Sony, what if they have a better console that has everything we like and they just want to hide it, either that or they just want to kill their company

Basically, if you give your disc to your friend, she has to log in using YOUR account on her console, so if you access from YOUR console at your home she won't be able to. Otherwise, you'll have to have her access from your account on your console.

If, however, she attempts to access the game from her account on her console, she will be prompted to pay a fee--possibly up to the full retail price--to play the game, even if you're only lending it to her for a week. I imagine it's a non-refundable fee.

Whereas with the PS4 (or any other console or handheld, really), you just hand them the disc and they can play it without having to pay a fee.

Oh okay. I hope they really change this. To me it's not overly a big deal but at the same time I do share games with this friend so it would be a issue then.

the sharing feature that allows you to switch your game to your friend's console during a particularly difficult part and let them accomplish/beat something you couldn't

First I heard about this. Does this include letting them net you that last unachieveable trophy?

Ah, here's another reason the "always online" thing is possibly gonna be an issue, one that I didn't think about originally.

What happens when THEIR servers die? Like, y'know, the first week or so of launch of a massive title like Call of Duty or something, where the servers inevitably buckle under the onslaught of people trying to connect at the same time?

You just won't be allowed to play your game at all, I bet, even if you have Internet. :/

From what I gather games will be able to be loaned to *one* friend without nay sort of charge assuming you've been friends with them on the Xbox for at least 30 days. Even so that still seems... harsh.

From what I gather games will be able to be loaned to *one* friend without nay sort of charge assuming you've been friends with them on the Xbox for at least 30 days. Even so that still seems... harsh.

Nope, that's not a loan--that's permanently giving the game away. As in, you will never be able to get it back. And they'll not be able to re-gift it, because it can only ever be given once.

Nope, that's not a loan--that's permanently giving the game away.  As in, you will never be able to get it back.  And they'll not be able to re-gift it, because it can only ever be given once.

Thats like the worst Idea ever, who is in charge of Microsoft? so I can put the xbox one in thier gut

Edited by Ladykyuubirose

Honestly the only use I can see is so you can easily buy a digital game for a friend who doesn't live close by. But if they DO live close by, you can just pick up a physical copy and give it to them. :/

Really, the uses for that are highly limited.

I really didn't think this would turn into such an interesting topic. May I add , I feel as if once Microsoft sees how badly their sales go down they might just realize what a censorkip.gif mistake of a system they produced (would be pretty funny if they recalled it, wouldn't it?). What other choice would they have? They're basically telling the consumers "If you do not like our product, do not buy it" instead of giving the consumers what they want in a gaming system which is how they'll end up in a very deep dark pit.

My boyfriend has a 360 but, he has never owned the first xbox that was released. We've been arguing back and forth about which system is better. He has yet to realize the cons of the xbox done and will end up getting one anyways. I've been trying my best to convince him to get a PS4 so we can play online together but it just doesn't seem that's going to happen.

Lets just admit it, Microsoft is terrible at making computers and terrible at making game consoles, What they should of done is looked back in gaming history and went, Now what does the the consumer like, they might of done that then chucked it in the toilet and gave us what we hate, either that or Microsoft is playing games with us and using our hate and anger to trick us and Sony, what if they have a better console that has everything we like and they just want to hide it, either that or they just want to kill their company

In terms of gaming, Windows computers are basically the only thing the computer gaming market uses. So that's not really fair to say.

I feel as if once Microsoft sees how badly their sales go down they might just realize what a censorkip.gif mistake of a system they produced (would be pretty funny if they recalled it, wouldn't it?). What other choice would they have?

I think there is a chance they'll backpedal, if they can, once they see this impacting their bottom line with lower sales than anticipated.

HOW they can undo it I'm not sure about. If it's a hardware-based thing, they'll have to do a recall (I mean, releasing the Xboned 2.0 and forcing people to buy it in addition to their first systems would just be the final nail in the coffin, IMO).

If, however, it's a firmware/software thing, they could change it with a system update, I believe.

In terms of gaming, Windows computers are basically the only thing the computer gaming market uses. So that's not really fair to say.

I'm just saying that Microsoft has a lot of holes, and yes I do love my Microsoft computer, it just gets too many viruses even with good protection, not to mention how much it sets you back to get the operating system, you can afford a new computer with that kind of money, all I am trying to get at is that Microsoft is flushing itself down the toilet

I'm just saying that Microsoft has a lot of holes, and yes I do love my Microsoft computer, it just gets too many viruses even with good protection, not to mention how much it sets you back to get the operating system, you can afford a new computer with that kind of money, all I am trying to get at is that Microsoft is flushing itself down the toilet

I'm just bringing up that the vast majority of the PC gaming community has no problem whatsoever with Microsoft computers. Albeit most of us build our own computers, but most also choose Windows as the OS of choice. Compared to the other parts of a computer, the OS is one of the least expensive parts...

i've decided to get cheeky with them on Twitter

me - & if a Hurricane comes & knocks out my power for a week, what then? i just wasted $500+ dollars, thats what.

them - If there is no electricity then no electronic device will function. ^RH

me - actually no, few knock out power, most knock out cable/internet. + its called a generator. whats ur answer now?

me - because obviously with an answer like that u dont live in Hurricane prone areas. #uknownothingjonsnow

yes i just GoT his cabuse laugh.gif

I think there is a chance they'll backpedal, if they can, once they see this impacting their bottom line with lower sales than anticipated.

HOW they can undo it I'm not sure about. If it's a hardware-based thing, they'll have to do a recall (I mean, releasing the Xboned 2.0 and forcing people to buy it in addition to their first systems would just be the final nail in the coffin, IMO).

If, however, it's a firmware/software thing, they could change it with a system update, I believe.

Possibly.

If it is a hardware based issue, they must recall the system to change it. Unless they released an Xbox One 2.0 (ironic, isn't it) for a discounted/free price with a verifiable proof of purchase from the original, or possibly a device that gets plugged into the Xbox One to circumnavigate the "features".

If it is a software/firmware issue, then it is possible to fix it remotely. Even with saying that, it is possible the software update/total rewrite would be too strenuous or large to do remotely. In short, MS might still have to recall to fix a software issue. Even if they don't, I assume the software component would be very difficult to reach as to dissuade tech savvy buyers from tampering. This would call for a massive software upgrade/rewrite that would not only clog a home's wifi/internet connection for hours, but in cases where people pay by the MB, it would break people.

Either way, I'm seeing a very dismal future for the Xboned. Even with that, the initial release will probably be somewhat successful. I know as of last week Thursday, the closest GameStop to my house had sold out of Xbone preorders but still had about a dozen PS4s left.

If you are getting too many viruses on your Microsoft computer, I'm sorry, but you are doing something wrong. I haven't had a virus in years. Stay up to date on your patches and for heaven's sake, don't install random things from the internet.

Back on topic, the interesting thing to me (which still lacks sufficient details) is the "family plan", where you can have up to ten people in a "family" who can play games out of the library of games which any of the members own. (Note: it's not like Microsoft is doing blood tests, and there aren't any proximity restrictions, so it's unclear why you and nine of your friends wouldn't want to form a "family".) So, if I bought Fuse and I was done with it, and someone else in my "family" wanted to play it, they could just boot it up and go.

Clearly there have to be some restrictions or something on this, and they haven't been very clear on what those are. It seems like one (or maaaaaybe) two people can play a given game at a time, or maybe only two people can access the library at the time and thus only two people can play games (this seems dumb). But I think this may be their default story for lending.

However, they need to get their story straight, because this could be a killer feature or a total snoozefest depending on how it's implemented.

I'm sorry, but since windows 8 microsoft has just gone downhill.

Also with the game sharing thing... ugh.

I know as of last week Thursday, the closest GameStop to my house had sold out of Xbone preorders but still had about a dozen PS4s left.

Wow, that's ridiculous. Then again Microsoft is trying anyway they can to make their system seem up to par with PS4. I've also passed by my neighborhood GameStop and there has been many costumers going in to ask if they can cancel their pre-order on the Xbox Done and since GameStop's policy on that has changed they'd either have to move the Pre-order to a PS4 pre-order or to a game that is coming out soon (If I am correct) which pretty much sucks on their half.

BUT, I can understand why many people wouldn't want to pre-order the PS4 so early. It does release in December so I guess they feel they should give it a few of a wait before actually pre-ordering, it is only going to be 8gbs right? Mainly the ones pre-ordering the Xbox Done are Xbox crazed fanboys.