ChocolateIzzy

Gems and Crystals!

I don't really like diamonds IMO.

The typical prized diamond is colorless. I like gems with color.

Diamonds burn into carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is, well, bad.

mellow.gif

Cat's eyes are cool. They have a bit of variety to them.

Also, that site is really interesting. biggrin.gif

Diamonds burn into carbon dioxide. Carbon dioxide is, well, bad.

Source? I'm seeing nothing when I try to look this up, other than that diamonds won't burn under normal conditions, and that if they do, they just blow away as smoke.

Also, carbon dioxide is a good thing - plants consume it, and churn out oxygen in exchange. You just don't want to be exposed to it in high concentrations if you're a person tongue.gif

Edited by Omega Entity

i simply love blood-star rubys, not to mention rubys are my birthstone. although a nice blue or clear diamond is simply divine. but gigantic geodes are so pretty <3 so tough to decide which is my favorite though :/

Source? I'm seeing nothing when I try to look this up, other than that diamonds won't burn under normal conditions, and that if they do, they just blow away as smoke.

Also, carbon dioxide is a good thing - plants consume it, and churn out oxygen in exchange. You just don't want to be exposed to it in high concentrations if you're a person  tongue.gif

[sorry for butting in like it's my business but you guys were talking about chemistry and yeah]

I haven't found it stated outright anywhere, but fact is that diamonds are basically just carbon (aside from minor impurities), which won't really burn to anything other than its dioxide under the conditions given. (When there isn't enough oxygen, carbon monoxide is produced and you REALLY do not want that, but one can only really burn a diamond in an atmosphere of pure oxygen so any CO produced would oxidize to CO2 immediately. Details) :]

I think Pyrite might be a mineral, but I could be wrong. Gems and minerals are kinda related, though, so I'm sure it's all good tongue.gif

Starscream, I too find diamonds entirely boring. If I ever get married, give me some nice bright blue sapphires any day biggrin.gif

my wedding band is silver, celtic knots. It's off right now because my fingers feel "fat" but as soon as they are not feeling that way I will put it on. My work sucks for wearing tight rings anyway.

I am gonna try to locate all my crystals, I had some pretty ones.

[sorry for butting in like it's my business but you guys were talking about chemistry and yeah]

I haven't found it stated outright anywhere, but fact is that diamonds are basically just carbon (aside from minor impurities), which won't really burn to anything other than its dioxide under the conditions given. (When there isn't enough oxygen, carbon monoxide is produced and you REALLY do not want that, but one can only really burn a diamond in an atmosphere of pure oxygen so any CO produced would oxidize to CO2 immediately. Details) :]

Yep, that's about what I was finding on it. Thank you for the clarification :-)

Opals because:

user posted image

The image isn't mine, I took it from Tumblr.

Edited by ViperSwan

My favourite stones are aquamarine, turquoise, amethyst and rose quartz because of the colors. smile.gif

I also like the ruby, which appears to be my birthstone by some sources, although I'm not sure where I can find the correct info on that. sad.gif

My birthstone is Yellow Topaz. I'm not crazy about it.

Emeralds are my favorite stones

I also like garnets (my husband's birthstone), and it's such a lovely deep red

Sapphires and diamonds are next. I think blue diamonds are really pretty though.

Well, going by birthstones, I have a wide variety to choose from, according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthstone

Could be bloodstone, ruby, turquoise, lapis lazuli, blue topaz, tanzanite, topaz if going by month, topaz if going by zodiac, and amethyst or lodestone if going by the weekday of my birth.

I prefer the ruby, for some reason, but lodestone is the funniest one of them all xd.png

I love rubies, mainly because red is my favorite color. Then again it's hard for me to find a gemstone I don't like haha. I love all shiny pretty things. :3

Sapphires are a must, they make really pretty necklaces, and Emeralds have a nice green hue that I love

user posted image

I like Tanzanites, their colors are stunning!

My birthstone is Opal but I'm not a big fan of it.

Edited by artiuslove

Neither was I, until I worked for my brother at a gem show and our booth was next to an Australian opal dealer.

You just haven't found the right opal yet wink.gif

EDIT: Koroit Boulder Opals are probably my favorite!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Omega Entity

My favorite is Obsidian because it is black, sleek, and shiny. Two years back, I went to Mount Vesuvius in Italy and bought one from a souvenir shop after a tour.

It looks a bit like this:

user posted image

I've also got a piece of Vesuvius obsidian, a gift from my grandfather from when he used to do bus tours all across Europe. Been one of my favourite stones ever since.

Personally, I'd love getting into gem collecting. I already have two pieces of my all-time favourite, amethyst, as well as a chunk of rose quartz, a blue goldstone egg and various other small gems. And yes, I know goldstone is fake, but I think fake gems can be and often are just as beautiful.

As for favourite gems, I love some of the more well known gems many have mentioned, like ruby, sapphire, peridot, garnets..... But I think some of my biggest favourite are amethyst, charoite, atlantisite and its component parts, stichtite and serpentine, black and red tourmalines.

Strangely, my birthstone is diamond yet they're probably one of my least favourite (well, clear ones are. Blue and purple diamonds are gorgeous.)

I've also got a piece of Vesuvius obsidian, a gift from my grandfather from when he used to do bus tours all across Europe. Been one of my favourite stones ever since.

Personally, I'd love getting into gem collecting. I already have two pieces of my all-time favourite, amethyst, as well as a chunk of rose quartz, a blue goldstone egg and various other small gems. And yes, I know goldstone is fake, but I think fake gems can be and often are just as beautiful.

As for favourite gems, I love some of the more well known gems many have mentioned, like ruby, sapphire, peridot, garnets..... But I think some of my biggest favourite are amethyst, charoite, atlantisite and its component parts, stichtite and serpentine, black and red tourmalines.

Strangely, my birthstone is diamond yet they're probably one of my least favourite (well, clear ones are. Blue and purple diamonds are gorgeous.)

I used to be really into gems, then I stopped being into them, and then came Steven Universe...

My favorite gem is my birthstone, Sapphire.