ChocolateIzzy

Gems and Crystals!

Pearls are classified as 'semi-precious' jewels, and can be considered a gem.

I never even knew that there were birthstones according to the month you were born! Mine seems to be emerald...which I don't really like. I suppose I'm not a fan of dark green. Sorry all you emerald-lovers! tongue.gif But I did know that every horoscope has a stone and as I'm taurus, mine is rosequartz. I don't like that either, though! dry.gif Light pink is not one of my favourite colours either.

Star Sapphire:

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Nectaris

I think my fav ones r emeralds, but all other green shaded gems go aswell.

I just <3 green ones

My birthstone is garnet. It's a nice red color. I don't really have a favorite, but I like when a gemstone sparkles and/or has many different colors like a mini rainbow :]

Opals have brilliant colours, I wish I had some! My dad gets me crystals all the time! From peridots to garnets to tigereyes to way more! Just no emeralds, sapphires, rubies, diamonds or any other really rare ones.

Yey! biggrin.gif

Rubies! I think they are beautiful and they are my birthstone. biggrin.gif

@ Nectaris

Nectaris are those star sapphires artificial? Or natural? Cause they are awesome!

Oooo I want one now! If they are found in America Dammit! I hope I can get my hands on 1 at least!

Star Sapphire:

[/img]

And don't forget about Star Rubies. :3

user posted image

I like diamonds but just because they're carbon. They're boring to look at, one could as well get crystal or even glass.

That star ruby photoshopped xd.png Not saying star are fake >_<

Does anyone know how they get that star?

It seems like pressure ( maybe trapped air) or lime that creates the star but I don't really know.

My favorite gem is emerald.

My birthstone is Peridot and I have a peridot ring with matching earrings.

I like shiny, sparkly things a lot- I'm a real magpie/dragon when it comes to gems and other treasures. I love all gems, but I have a few favourites: amethysts, sapphires, diamonds, opals, moonstones, quartz (especially rosy), pearls and obsidian, if that counts. Basically the purple, blue, white and see-through ones. I also much prefer silver to gold.

I think my least favorite gem would be a diamond ._.' They're so...overrated.

Exactly!

I don't like diamonds much as well. I despise that song, 'Diamonds are a girl's best friend' Stupid!

I like diamonds but just because they're carbon. They're boring to look at, one could as well get crystal or even glass.

Oh no. No no.

They're not boring to look at. It depends on the lighting and the cut, but when the two come together, magic happens. My dad is a jeweller, I have spent a lot of time gazing at gemstones and I promise you, I have spent the most time with diamonds.

I personally prefer the rose cut, it's romantic and charmingly old fashioned, and also Art Deco jewelry with baguette cut stones, but the round brilliant cut is the most popular version for a reason.

Only diamonds in the brilliant cut reflect 100% of the light that hits them, cubic zirconia and crystal lose light that leaves the stone through the sides rather than the top. The effect mesmerizing, it works best in artifical light, but no matter the light, sitting across from someone who wears diamonds will distract you from your dinner. Even wearing it yourself can result in staring down at your hands while you handle the cutlery. It catches your eye again and again, like little sparks of white fire.

The bigger the diamond, the better it works. In my opinion, you can safely use a zirconia instead of a diamond when it is only a very small stone. It's just not worth it. Many small diamonds looks great, but that's expensive and I find one big one to have a much better effect. Saving your money for a bigger diamond is most definitely worth it. And don't go for earrings, you will need double the amount of stones, you yourself don't see them and if they aren't dangling, it's a bit of a waste, too. Go for a ring or if that feels to much like an engagement with yourself, a necklace.

Edited by blah

I still can't understand how diamond can have different colours if it's just made of the same thing. But I believe it has something to do with other componenets. May I ask for those which makes the different colour? Thanks

I guess diamonds are ok, they are pretty but, still, did you hear about the documentary 'Blood Diamonds'? People were killed over diamonds!

I tend to like semi-precious over precious gems. Labradorite, sunstone, and moonstone are particular favorites of mine. Ocean Jasper is an amazing stone, but sadly the mine is exhausted and it's so hard to find nice beads and cabochons made from it that don't cost an arm and a leg (I make jewelry).

Tourmaline, sapphire, and aquamarine are other favorites.

An asterism is an optical phenomenon displayed by some rubies, sapphires, and other gems (i.e. star garnet, star diopside, star spinel, etc.) of an enhanced reflective area in the shape of a "star" on the surface of a cabochon cut from the stone. Star sapphires and rubies get their asterism from the titanium dioxide impurities (rutile) present in them. The Star-effect or "asterism" is caused by the dense inclusions of tiny fibers of rutile (also known as "silk"). The stars are caused by the light reflecting from needle-like inclusions of rutile aligned perpendicular to the rays of the star. However, since rutile is always present in star gemstones, they are almost never completely transparent.

My favourite are Lapis Lazuli, Bloodstone and Ammolite

ChocolateIzzy @ Jun 12 2013, 02:56 PM]

I guess diamonds are ok, they are pretty but, still, did you hear about the documentary 'Blood Diamonds'? People were killed over diamonds!

That docomentary was made becouse diamonds are most preciouse gems out there, but people get killed becouse of other gems too, even becouse of gold, But becouse diamonds are somewhat worth more than others they made documentary about it.

To tell you the truth to me diamonds are not special at all especialy if you look at the uncut ones, looks like a peace of molten glass, and it has to be cut to perfection to give it its bling, compared to other gems that are beoutifull even if uncut.

Edited by Mommy_Kitty

I don't much like red stones like ruby or bloodstone. It just scares me.

As far as diamonds go, yeah, I can see why people like them, but at the same time, alone they just don't have that much appeal to me. I prefer diamonds paired with other stones as otherwise I tend to find that they look "cold" to me.

My favorite gemstone is blue colored agate. When I was younger, I found a polished piece at a giftshop that was shaped similar to a heart and had a necklace made out of it. I also really like polished clear quartz and the murky pieces found as riverbed stones. Not so much the rose quartz, amethyst or dyed pieces though.

I use to have a decent sized rock collection and was big into them at one point. Mainly what got me stuck on them was a large piece of marble rock I had once discovered around the apartment complex.

And since we're on the topic of diamonds... I've never been big on them myself. Never understood the fascination with them aside from the way they form.

Edited by Daydreamer09