Raven301

Secrets

Willow walked through the forest with a basket full of blackberry's. She headed towards headquarters to see if she could trade them for something. Suddenly she felt a sharp pain in her neck. The next thing she knew she was laying in a plain white room. She quickly got up and ran towards the door and flung it open. Seeing two people standing in the hall she said W-where am I?

Rember was a little taken aback by the albino scientists remark. "A little feminine?" She asked, lowering her voice just a little as to sound more like a boy. She hoped the red head wouldn't notice, since it was just a subtle change. She then looked at the building the new shifters were now in, ignoring the question about her age. "Some new shifters have just came in. I don't know if you can stay or not." She said to the red head.

Edited by littlelizzie

Marley shrugged. "I'll stay if I want. And if they try and make me leave―which they have only done once, and failed, at that―well, I'll make them leave. Sometimes in life you're the boot, and other times you're the carpet. And rest assured, I have never been the carpet." That wasn't entirely true. After all, she wasn't just randomly living in a remote forest. She had her reasons, though she didn't plan on just announcing them. Not now, not here. "Anyways," Marley continued, "What's you're name? I've seen you before, I know that much. Just not often enough for me to care. I guess you're decent, though. More than you could say for every other scientist here combined. That goes for me, too. Sure, I'm smarter than you. Smarter than most people, actually. But decent? I'm a lot of things, but not that."

"That's pretty brave of you to say, miss." Rember said, smiling at the analogy the other scientist had made. Had she ever been the carpet? Rember thought for a moment, deciding she was more likely a vase that sat on the table and watched. Occasionally she might fall over and break on the carpet, but she had never been the carpet. "My name is Scott. What's yours?" She asked, putting her hands in her lab coat.

"Marley," she replied. "It's not very fancy, but then again, neither is your name. Unlike me, however, a lot about you is normal." She laughed a little at this. If Darren were here he would've too. The two had been trying to find a definition for the word 'normal' for quite some time. She briefly wondered how her brother was doing. It had been quite some time since they last met. "Do you have a sibling?" Marley asked out loud. "They're okay, you know. At least, mine was. Pretty smart person, too bad he was never very social. What about you? Have a relative working here?"

Rember smiled at Marley. "I think Marley is a pretty cool name. I've never met anyone with a name like that." She said quietly, looking away when she was asked if she had any siblings. She scoffed and pulled her lab coat around her. "My family died when I was young. I had a little brother, but he's gone." She told Marley, looking up as some scientists walked by talking about some new shifters. She felt bad for dropping the sad bomb, but she hated talking about her past.

"Well, life sucks. Always has, always will," Marley said nonchalantly. "It's no one's fault." She looked at Scott, who seemed a little sad now. She didn't know what to do, quite frankly. If there was one thing she was absolutely terrible at, it was social interaction. She thought the SSSP scientist was okay at best, which was pretty amazing by Marley's standards, and that deserved something. "You know, I can be around you, and I can respect that." She said jokingly. "The only other person who can claim that besides Darren is Edward, though I'll tell you about that some other time."

Rember looked at Marley and chuckled. "Well, thanks." She smiled, wondering who Edward was. "Your pretty cool to hang around with too." She said, looking at the ground. It was so hard for her to think of things to talk about sometimes. And what Marley had said about it being no ones fault weighed on Rember's mind, since it had actually been her fault. She smiled to get rid of that train of thought and looked at Marley again. "What is it that you do for a living?"

"I don't make a living, but I do some neat stuff when I'm alone." She said proudly. "I'm a neurologist, and a profession like that is nothing anyone here can brag about. It's pretty hard, though, for something you do on your own time. I suppose it's like a really difficult hobby. A rewarding hobby, though." Before she had moved, Marley remembered a fair amount of people calling her weird for the things she did. And to think that not one of those people was even half as amazing as her. She had to admit that even the scientists at the SSSP would be slightly willing to see why she worked on her own. She wasn't a 'social butterfly' per se.

"A neurologist? That is an interesting hobby. Why do you work on it by yourself, though? Isn't it hard? What do you do if you mess up? And what type of people do you work on?" Rember asked, her curiosity piqued. She had never met a neurologist before, she had to admit. She wondered what it was about the brain that interested some people. She herself, although she would never admit this to anyone, was rather afraid of surgery of any sort. She could handle needles, yes, but digging around in someone's body and cutting skin open just gave her the heebie-jeebies.