DragCave Wiki

Dragon Cave Wiki

@Meg_752: Yes they do need to be added but we're holding off on that due to the article overhaul happening. It doesn't look like anything is happening on the wiki itself but I'm compiling all the articles offline to more easily add new information and templates that will look consistent on all the 160+ articles.

@purplehaze: The page itself won't look any different than what it currently does, I'll just be making use of some coding to kinda segment the page and make it load like it's smaller than it actually is smile.gif

Like, delayed loading on demand-by-scrolldown?

Nope, it'll utilize the same system that template-inserting information does, except it won't be filling the wiki with unnecessary templates, but instead loading sub-pages as if they were templates. The DT page will look whole on the outside, but when edited users will see it segmented into sub-pages that they will have to edit instead (which solves the edit lagging issue the large page caused too!). The problem wikis struggle with in terms of loading information isn't just the images themselves, but how much writing and coding the page itself contains that the wiki needs to render, and it's this that plays the biggest part in slowing down your browser (as that's what contributes to the page's byte size).

I've already started using it with the header messages that the Dragon Types, Which Egg is Which and Currently Being Released use and while the first two are too small to notice a different yet, the latter has definitely improved in page load time and editing load times as well (not sure if you experienced the CBR page loading a bit better this event? It may have been off-set by the large amount of text the scripts had in this event- it apparently surpassed that of the Valkemarian Tales game).

Edited by bluesonic1

Hello guys smile.gif

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but when I go to any of the pages that have sprites on them, it only loads the first few:

user posted image

Nothing else shows further down the page, like the Which egg is which page:

user posted image

Edit: I have tried clearing my cache and cookies but that didn't help.

Edited by xeyla

Yeah, the wikia does that at times, with all sites ... I haven't yet figured out if it's my old computer or my slow connection that eats up all the sprites that don't load instantly. I blame the wikia software.

Hello guys  smile.gif

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but when I go to any of the pages that have sprites on them, it only loads the first few:

[snip]

Nothing else shows further down the page, like the Which egg is which page:

[snip]

Edit: I have tried clearing my cache and cookies but that didn't help.

It's something to do with Wikia themselves. I think it may have been due to some heavy updates they did recently (I got logged out even). It happens often to me too when I'm doing lots of edits fast- mouseover where the sprite is meant to be and it should load properly smile.gif

Edited by bluesonic1

Wondering why eggs in the FoE entry keep getting renamed to blatantly wrong or misleading names (eg. for some reason "Shiba" was changed to "Fox", "Undyne" to "knight", "Spike" to "dino" etc).

I mean I guess technically "knight" is also sort of correct in a roundabout way but

Edited by Lythiaren

Wondering why eggs in the FoE entry keep getting renamed to blatantly wrong or misleading names (eg. for some reason "Shiba" was changed to "Fox", "Undyne" to "knight", "Spike" to "dino" etc).

I mean I guess technically "knight" is also sort of correct in a roundabout way but

I'm hoping my reply to yourself and others on the news thread sufficed in answering this? The reply to this similar question is also on the article's talk page.

Not sure what you mean by entry, I assume the article page? No files were ever renamed, I assure you. They are currently only now being renamed to their correct naming scheme which is "FoE 2016 x" (with x being the number they are in baskets). They were named "misleadingly" when initially uploaded because my apologies, I don't play Undertale, so I don't understand the references. But none of them were ever changed, that was just the name they were first uploaded with as I rushed to get all the eggs up on the page. (Sorry if this reply sounds snappy, I really don't mean it to be- this is just the fourth time explaining myself publicly for this rolleyes.gif )

Edited by bluesonic1

Yeah, it's a bit sad that easter eggs and treats get randomly generated file names on the site itself - makes recognizing them not easier! Thanks for dealing with all those tiny bits and pieces (60 at once!) bluesonic1 smile.gif

I'm hoping my reply to yourself and others on the news thread sufficed in answering this? The reply to this similar question is also on the article's talk page.

Not sure what you mean by entry, I assume the article page? No files were ever renamed, I assure you. They are currently only now being renamed to their correct naming scheme which is "FoE 2016 x" (with x being the number they are in baskets). They were named "misleadingly" when initially uploaded because my apologies, I don't play Undertale, so I don't understand the references. But none of them were ever changed, that was just the name they were first uploaded with as I rushed to get all the eggs up on the page. (Sorry if this reply sounds snappy, I really don't mean it to be- this is just the fourth time explaining myself publicly for this rolleyes.gif )

The edit history showed a lot of correcting and re-changing of labels. I wanted to know what was going on where apparently it was undesirable to let people point out what things are, as I saw someone putting descriptive alt text on one of the eggs that was then removed.

I also noticed that I no longer have the ability to edit the page about myself. I don't know if this was intentional or some wikia limitation, but it is... jarring.

Edited by Lythiaren

@Rubyeyes: You're most welcome, and thank you smile.gif Part of me wishes they could do that, but then on the other hand, many had fun playing guessing games in the forum with what spriters had referenced with their eggs. I think I'm just going to have to create a new system for temporary names, or just not upload any images till the end of the event next time.

The edit history showed a lot of correcting and re-changing of labels. I wanted to know what was going on where apparently it was undesirable to let people point out what things are, as I saw someone putting descriptive alt text on one of the eggs that was then removed.

I also noticed that I no longer have the ability to edit the page about myself. I don't know if this was intentional or some wikia limitation, but it is... jarring.

I'm really not sure what edit history you are looking at as all the images are set in a gallery and none of them had labels (in a gallery, they have captions- the coding doesn't allow for alt text). Step by step, in terms of the sections where I had to go back twice to recover, the first time was to change the wording/spelling for someone else (which another user had gone back previously to fix as well) and fix a broken link- at this point, anon users had filled in that there were "characters (and references) from ''Undertale'' and another added in the My Little Pony reference.

In the second round of recovery, an Okami reference was added (which remained untouched), I recovered the original contribution that another user tried to replace as part of a file renaming (which I've explained why I recovered the original contribution) and I recovered the page from broken file links where someone attempted to explain some references using the reflist template but didn't know how it worked and essentially broke it. Looking at it, these attempted references were attached to and part of the section that explained references were made to Undertale- this is the only thing that can be construed as a label that was removed, but it wasn't a label, it was a broken link/template. In all of the other references, some had links leading to the particular egg's image file page- no alt text used though.

If you could link me directly to the particular edit revisions you're looking, perhaps I can give a clearer answer? But aside from this, I don't have much more to offer unfortunately.

As for your category page, you haven't been singled out as unable to edit the article; if you click the "See Source" button, you'll see a message saying "This page has been protected to prevent editing." The page itself is locked to admins only, and this was done so as part of a complaint you put in a few years earlier regarding some information that was added to that particular page. I'm not sure whether you went through with contacting one of the admins that were active that year about getting the lock put on specifically, or whether they thought that considering how upset you were with the situation that it was the best thing to do to help solve the problem. If it bothers you now, I can remove it, but in doing so any other users will be able to edit the page again as well.

Edited by bluesonic1

Hey all smile.gif I started a discussion on the Dutch wiki forum about reviving that wiki, because I think it's a shame that there's barely any content on it and the admin of that one seems to be inactive.

So I would very much appreciate it if all the Dutch people reading this who would like to have a Dutch wiki about DC to read, would add their thoughts! Non-Dutch people are also very welcome to give their opinions, of course; I've made sure to translate the post into English so you can follow along smile.gif

Here's the post!

As there were no comments made on the wiki discussion, the main page now houses our very first wiki affiliate- Tales of Ostlea wiki!

@Rhynn: Thanks for taking up the Dutch DC Wiki as a project biggrin.gif I forwarded a message to Yatalu who used to edit on the English wiki and speaks Dutch, so hopefully that sends someone your way smile.gif They're a Wikia Helper too.

Special Notice:

The Tinsel and Shimmer-scale articles have been overhauled in order to conform to the site-wide manual of style. As a result of this, and a slight change to the CB Codes section, the load stress on the page should have been reduced dramatically, and those with slower browsers should be able to view and edit the article again.

If this is not the case for you, and the page still lags, please leave a message with Bluesonic1- either as a PM on the forums or a message on her wiki wall. The method used to relieve load stress is being trialled on these pages, and if it works as intended, will be used to reduce lag on much larger pages such as Dragon Types.

(~ Bluesonic1)

Calling out to any and all who wish to help improve and expand the wiki! The DC Birthday release has brought several new releases as well as lots of little updates across the site. With this, the wiki is missing a lot of sprites that you can help us fill in!

All new information should be restricted to the Currently Being Released page, and what we're missing can all be found/seen on this page too.

As of this moment, stage 1 cracking sequence images are missing for all 4 new releases. All cracking sequence stages are missing for the Aria and updated Frilled dragons. Aria dragons may also have dimorphic sprites that are missing. This biggest thing we are missing are all new egg, dead egg and cracking sequence sprites for all the DC Drakes currently released on the site (Day/Night Glory, Glaucus, Greater Spotted, Howler & Ochredrake).

I've set up all the tables needed to display the updated sprites on the Currently Being Released page- please keep new sprites there! Naming on the files doesn't matter as they'll all get processed once the event is over- we just need to get the files on the page smile.gif

Added no-cracks drake eggs. Thank goodness these are all .png while the old ones were gifs.

ETA Sock's images on there, too

Oh, and should Category:Traditional Drakes now be known as Category:Wingless? ohmy.gif

Edited by dirtytabs

Thanks for the help guys! Not sure why the category name should be changed?

Also, I thought the undead range would be released later as per the announcement but they're apparently on-site now. There doesn't appear to be dimorphism, but the sub-types each have their own series, from hatchling to adult. I've made the table with all the wiki's sub-types just in case; some may or may not have sprites for them (sprite artists involved are welcome to weigh in at this point tongue.gif ).

Thanks for the help guys! Not sure why the category name should be changed?

Because wingless is now the subtype listed in the encyclopedia.

Because wingless is now the subtype listed in the encyclopedia.

Ahh, didn't realise sub-types got added to the Encyclopedia! I'll add it to my list of wiki projects- categories sadly can't be renamed, all articles in them have to be removed and then re-added to the newly named category. Thankfully that's what the bot can make easy work of, but it might be some time before it can be changed smile.gif

Once the dust settles on this event, all the dragon articles (excluding Holidays) will be overhauled to a new and higher standard, that will allow encyclopedia information to be housed in them; it's been a massive project I've been working on for a while now in the background biggrin.gif After this event's information gets added into the new articles, the Holidays will get their overhaul.

Special Notice: Article Overhauls

All dragon articles on the wiki have received a larger overhaul to them (creatures and Holiday dragons will follow in the coming week!). So... what's new?

• New infoboxes! Please be sure to give warm thank yous to Taliseth for coding these lovely new infoboxes. They now show male & female sprites were available, spriters, egg descriptions via hover-over and also include elemental affinity information from the encylopedia. Speaking of which...
  • New encyclopedia templates! These templates follow after the egg sequence one, and will be used to hold all the information found on the site's encyclopedia.
  • - You can now browse dragons by their elemental affinity! Visit Category:Elemental Affinity, pick an Element, and see all the dragons that correspond to it!
  • - You can also browse for dragons that have or lack an encyclopedia entry! Visit Category:Dragon Encyclopedia and pick a category in its list!
  • New notice box template! This one has started appearing around the site already, but will be used to highlight important information about certain dragons, such as what time they hatch into different forms or what kinds of breed combinations are needed for a particular hybrid.
  • All dragon articles have now been brought up to scratch and given a consistent style across the site.
  • Sprites no longer in use are now hidden by default in a click to hide/show box, so certain sprite tables no longer take up half a page!
  • New quote template that allows for citations, and the introduction of reference lists to better cite where information comes from.
  • And a few other technical background fixes.
HOW YOU CAN HELP

Since this update, there are a lot of dragons now missing encyclopedia information that is unlocked from the site itself. We need users to help fill in this information!

• Dragons that are missing entries can be found here.
  • Dragons that have completed entries can be found here (to provide an example for how it should be formatted).
  • Dragons that are lacking an entry on site can be monitored here for when they do get an entry.
  • Dragons that are lacking an elemental affinity on site can be monitored here for when they do get an entry.
  • Be on the lookout for any minor errors I may have made along the way smile.gif
Coming Soon:
  • New dragon articles from the recent event.
  • Sprite updates from the recent event.
  • Creature and Holiday dragon article overhauls.
(~ Bluesonic1) Edited by DragCave Wiki

The encyclopedia template might be somewhat strict, as some creatures don't have complete entries, such as the Chicken.

The encyclopedia template might be somewhat strict, as some creatures don't have complete entries, such as the Chicken.

Hmm, the Chicken shouldn't have had its entry added as creatures haven't been updated yet :/ Either way, thanks for the heads up, didn't realise some of them would have incomplete entries, I'll adjust the template to not show sections that have no info smile.gif

Edit: Template's been adapted! For articles already done, the old template may still show; if this happens to you, try clearing your cache/do a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5).

Edited by bluesonic1

The Undead Dragon article has pygmies listed in a separate header. I think their forms are whatever type they would be if they were full-size dragons, e.g. a pumpkin dragon would be "western", like here:

user posted image

That's only based on that one example, though. Does anyone have an undead magelight pygmy wyvern or seawyrm pygmy (or six-limbed pygmy) that doesn't match my suspicions? Otherwise, I think it'll be okay to delete the pygmy row in the table.

The Undead Dragon article has pygmies listed in a separate header. I think their forms are whatever type they would be if they were full-size dragons, e.g. a pumpkin dragon would be "western", like here:

user posted image

That's only based on that one example, though. Does anyone have an undead magelight pygmy wyvern or seawyrm pygmy (or six-limbed pygmy) that doesn't match my suspicions? Otherwise, I think it'll be okay to delete the pygmy row in the table.

From the news topic: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=174664

Coming soon: zombies for other breeding groups.

Now I'm not sure that there will be a two-headed lindwurm sprite or a pygmy (lind)wyrm sprite rather than just a two-headed and pygmy sprite that they all fall under, but we really won't know for sure how many sub-groups they'll do for the other breeding groups, but there will eventually be zombie sprites for them as a whole, at least. o3o

/wow run-on