chicbecause

Middle Earth

((i realized in my previous post i wrote "pullstring rucksack" I meant leather. i also changed it in the post. Sorry, sometimes my brain breaks wacko.gif))

Peter followed the elf through the town. He spared the 2 dwarves only a cursory glance. He would be able to get a better look later. He cared more about not getting lost. When he entered the inn, a few people stopped what they were doing and looked over. Usually the Hobbit went unnoticed, but he was use to this. Seeing a Hobbit outside of the Shire wasn't too common.

He walked over to the man that they were meeting. Or, at least the one he assumed they were meeting. He was sitting at a large table and beckoning to Larien, so it was probably him. "Hello, m'name is Peter Karlkin, Hobbit from the shire" Peter said. He climbed into a seat on the table facing away from the door, a few seats away from the man who had spoken. "So whats your name? And could i get a glass of ale and something to eat?" he asked.

Dandy continued puffing on his pipe nonchalantly as he walked with Shala. He thought for but a second before responding.

"Things that still hold true even in this changin' era." Dandy answered quietly. "Don't worry yerself about it. After all, we got a task to focus on, ye kin?"

He smiled whimsically as he stepped a little bit ahead of Shala towards the inn, a little bit of a skip in his step as he walked.

Of course, being himself, Dandy couldn't help but murmur (however beautifully) a small song as he walked amongst the stones of the city.

Pray tell, pray tell, where do ye go?

I follow th' path that nae man must know.

Pray tell, pray tell, when shall ye return?

When I get there meself, lad, then ye shall learn.

I've walked amongst nomads and settlers th' same,

without much difference between th' two.

Ye can tell much from a land just from its own name,

but trusting assumptions nae ever be the clue.

So I do it meself, I walk there alone,

just for a moment to rest me own eyes,

to feel under me feet the safety of stone,

or hold out me hands to the glorious skies.

Now there ain't no fear in fearin', but there's anger in rage,

there's always bound to be a story beyond th' next page,

but the only way to make one is to go out and look,

to pick up a pen, and write yer own book.

Pray tell, pray tell, have ye come back for good?

I wonder if it really is best that I should!

Pray tell, pray tell, are ye leaving again?

As long as there be more seein' in this great land.

I set out in search of somethin', I suppose,

high in th' mountains where the stones are set.

All that I found were the cold wind that blows,

and somethin' I remembered to always forget.

But from there I saw a cloud, which in I saw,

the legend I'd made for meself in my time.

I stared upon it, til th' sun came to fall,

and continued to reach forward, continued to climb.

The stones they saw me and called out in shock,

and I felt the mountain shake and clatter with rock.

They knew me, the clouds had told them much o' me.

They knew well of my great and lasting legacy.

Pray tell, pray tell, are you sleeping for now?

Only pausin' to wipe the sweat from me brow.

Pray tell, pray tell, will you wake in the morn?

I'll wake in the mornin' when the new sun is born.

Pray tell, pray tell, can we hear of your deeds?

Only of the ones where I did succeed.

Pray tell, pray tell, should we write them all down?

Only if I'm the one to spread them around.

He reached the door of the inn, still humming thoughtfully. He paused, waiting for Shala to reach him.

"Pray tell, pray tell, is there a story told here?" Dandy said softly. "Only for those without any fear."

Larien allowed Peter to introduce himself, beckoning over one of the servers that had seemed to have been roped in to helping out the owner. She explained them needing more ale and added that a few rounds of some food was also in order. Before no time, the returning comforts came carried by two more people with a few different foods to be had.

"He's also one of the ones we were supposed to have on this endevor." The she-elf interjected in a lull on the conversation for only a minute, taking a taste of the ale. It wasn't elvish, nor was it completely to their high standards, but it certainly would do. "I've also found a few different markets we can tend to in the morning in case anybody has something special in mind they'd like cooked." She added with a bit of a grin. She had spotted an Elf-trader too, or at least his post, and hoped he could spare some of the foods she had grown up with. She wouldn't mind cooking up a dish or five for anyone willing to try it.

Cuthraed gave Peter a slightly uncertain nod as he said, “Well met Peter Karlkin, I am Cuthraed son of Cuthred.” Once the servers brought the food, he happily took some but while he ate, he found himself casting glances at Peter as he searched his memory trying to find mention of Hobbits. At Larien’s words, he turned his attention to her and though he wondered if it would be wise to bring Peter on such a dangerous journey; the Hobbit didn’t exactly look battle ready. Still, it wasn’t his place to say who could or couldn’t join them, so he simply said, “Oh? That is glad tidings indeed.” Finishing off his ale, he motioned for another and his gaze once again fell on Peter. Realizing that he was staring, Cuthraed gave a small shake of his head as he said, “Forgive me, but I am unfamiliar with Hobbits. If I may ask, where is this Shire of which you speak?”

Shala wasn’t entirely pleased with Dandy’s answer, but neither was she overly surprised. Following him to the inn, she only partially listened to his murmured singing while she once again got lost in her own thoughts. Unable to make any sense of the encounter with the blacksmith or Dandy’s answer, she gave a small sigh as she hitched Clover next to Cuthraed’s horse. Though she felt certain that whatever they had been discussing involved her, she also to admit to herself that as long as it didn’t jeopardize their quest, it really wasn’t her business. Still, she couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something important that she just wasn’t understanding.

Joining Dandy at the door, she looked back the way they’d come as she debated whether or not to go back for answers. However, a slightly mischievous grin crept across her face as she looked at Dandy and motioned to the door. “Shall we?” she asked as she wondered if perhaps drink would loosen his lips. Of course, considering how well Dwarves can handle their drink, it didn’t seem like an overly promising prospect… could be fun to try though.

Dandy turned to Shala, his eyes different than before.

"Ye know, considerin' th' fact I value any future trust tween the members o' our coalition,... I suppose I could tell ye what he said."

Now it came to this. He wondered if he should lie? If she ever found out he lied to her, she'd never trust him again. It shouldn't seem like such a huge problem but for some reason he felt telling her what the blacksmith said was some sort of taboo. After all, Shala looked like she could defend herself in an instant. Yet..

"Look, I'll be frank, and don't ye dare go back and start any trouble with that poor old dwarf." Dandy commanded sternly. "He asked me to look out for ye, which I kindly agreed to, since we're travelin' together anyway. I didn't much understand the importance of it. After all, ye look like ye can defend yerself right enough, ye kin?"

He sighed.

"Anyyyywayy, it's tavern time for Dandy. After ye." he gestured to the door politely.

Peter took some ale, and something to eat too. He hadn't eaten since luncheon, so the food was well appreciated. He looked at the man Cuthraed as he spoke. He didn't mind that the man looked at him several times, but he did find it a bit unnatural. When Cuthraed asked about the Shire, Peter replied "You don't know of the Shire?" he asked. He took a moment to think. "Well, its in Eriador, near the Brandywine river, on the Withywindle" Peter said. "But I havn' seen it in a while. I wonder if anyone still remembers me?" he said sadly. He drank some of his ale. "So, where would I find big folk like you? Where'd you come from?" the Hobbit asked, "and, who was Cuthred? Was he important?"

((you don't need to answer the very last thing, i just thought it might be fun if there was any special history behind Cuthraed and his father))

((Just so you all know, I have a funeral to attend out of town, and will be without internet from sometime Thursday until Sunday afternoon. Sorry for any inconvenience.))

At Dandy’s answer, Shala raised a brow as she thoughtfully said, “I see…” However, like Dandy, she couldn’t understand why the blacksmith would make such a request. He may have been a friend of her father’s but that didn’t really explain why he would worry like that. “How odd…” she said absently, but then she nodded just as politely to Dandy’s gesture as she entered the inn saying, “Thank you.”

As Peter explained where he was from, Cuthraed drank his ale as listened. “I believe I have heard tales of some of those places,” he said, “That would place it north of here, and west of the Misty Mountains if I recall.” He then took another drink before answering Peter’s question. “I hail from Rohan. It lies east of the Isen River, north of the White Mountains, west of the Mouths of Entwash, and south of the Limlight.” Here his chest swelled with pride as he spoke of his father. “My father, Cuthred son of Forthred, was captain of the King’s Riders and rode for King Fengel. He was victorious in many a battle, but was sadly slain while defending Edoras from Dunlendings. Though I was but a young boy at the time, his memory is very clear and dear to me. It is in his honor that I have become one of the King’s Riders,” he noticed the door open, and once again raised his mug to beckon Dandy and Shala over as he continued, “and I have borne his sword into many a battle of my own.”

"Oh no, lass. The pleasure be mine." Dandy winked as he entered the inn, feeling right at home the moment he stepped across the threshold. He breathed in deeply the air, which was filled with the scents of alchohol and timbers, as well as stories and life.

"Ah, this is REAL home." Dandy grinned, strolling around the tables which occupied the center of the inn. "Conversations rollin' like boulders, people becomin' friends with enemies, old heroes teachin' new ones. Taverns are th' best place for a story to begin - always."

Upon entering the inn, Shala nodded to Cuthraed but she decided to follow Dandy before going over to the table. Caught up in Dandy’s speech, she didn’t notice the small figure also at the table or her surprise might have had her going there first. As it was, she looked at Dandy with a friendly smile as she said, “The best place for stories, I will grant, but home…?” Still with the same smile, she gave a small shake of her head. “Well, I suppose that would depend upon the person. What is home to some may not be to others. Neither is wrong, of course, but to each his own…”

User- JerimiahDevitt

Name- Thorns

Age- 25

Gender- Male

Race- Hobbit

Appearance- Kinda like Bilbo, except a bit tall for a hobbit

Skill set- Archery and theiving

Other- a very talkative and outgoing hobbit, enjoys a good adventure.

((Popping in to say Jerimah, you're accepted.

I'll actually post tomorrow however... sorry if that wrenches anybody's hopes.))

As Thorns walked into the inn, he wondered what he was getting into this time. No matter where he went, he always managed to get mixed up in some trouble or another. Go to buy a horse, become a ranger. Take a walk, decipher a code leading to a long lost treasure. Make dinner, slay a dragon. It never let up. SO after a while he had learned to just roll with the punches, and hope there would be a big payoff. He walked over to the bar and checked out his surroundings. A few people here and there drinking and talking. As he ordered his drink, he noticed one group in particular: a human, elf, and- hey-ho! was that another Hobbit? As Thorns jumped down from the stool, his cloak snagged on a sharp edge of the counter and tore. "Blast!" he muttered, i'll have to get that fixed later. He took three deep breathes, then steeled himself, walked up to the trio, and said, "Hello, I'm Thorns, and i'm looking for danger!"

Sorry, i should have asked this beforehand, but can i have a recap? i don't know what's going on. Also, my full name is Leodonis Took (always resented uncle Frodo for naming me that).

((For starters, this RP is set 30 years after the events in The Hobbit which makes it 30 years before the start of The Fellowship of the Ring. This means that the Frodo Baggins that we all know and love is only 3 years old. wink.gif

The basic plot is that the group has somehow learned of the existence of the One Ring, and is looking for it with the intent of destroying it. Like the first post says, ‘they [won’t] find it of course’, for they don’t have much to go on and no one knows that Bilbo has the Ring, but sometimes it’s the journey that matters not the destination.

Right now the group is in a village of Men to get provisions, have a sword repaired, and apparently pick up a couple Hobbits. wink.gif

The current active characters: Larien (Elf – dragonhatchling); Dandy (Dwarf – Thaelasan); Peter Karlkin (Hobbit – na82008); Shala (Dwarf – me); and Cuthraed (Man – me). There are some other characters that aren’t currently active, but we’re hoping will come back – at least I’m hoping they will…

Hope this helps some. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask either here or in PM. I'll be more than happy to help. happy.gif))

(( Wait, whaddya mean we're not gonna find it? I actually considered this an AU where instead of a hobbit keeping it, Bilbo ends up losing it somehow and another group finds a way to get it done without assistance from Gandalf and the others.

I mean, it is your Roleplay so I won't go against you, and I'm enjoying it heavily, but are we actually going to find ANYTHING astounding in this roleplay in our journey? sad.gif ))

((We may find it... we may not. I leave such things up to chance and how things play out. Who knows, we might accidentally induct a certain hobbit into our group without really realizing, thus having found it without knowing, yet the story can still continue as it had for many years to come.

(I will actually post- yet again- later.... I have to go to school...) ))

about the recap: ok, i'm going to change the Frodo's my uncle to Bilbo, cause that would make a lot more sense.

Peter turned from his food to look for the owner of the voice that had announced it self. He looked and was surprised to see a hobbit. Well, he wasn't that surprised. If you knew were to look, and how, you could find hobbits nearly every where. They were uncommon, even in his business, where being a Hobbit gave you a great edge up. What did surprise him is that this one seemed to be from the Shire, like he himself was. That was less common. "Are you from the Shire? I don't seem to recall a name Thorns, but you have the look." Peter said to the Hobbit.

Edited by na82008

Larien was busy enjoying her drink as Shala and Dandy came back to their group, listening -as Elves do- to the various conversations that involved her or anyone in her group. Just in case. In case, that is, that something should be needed to be taken care of or dealt with. But the she-elf didn't choose to be nosy, and any bits of the conversation that didn't really require her to listen was left to their original caretakers to be taken care of that way. Somewhere in there, though, she noticed another short-statured being waltz over. Thorns he said he was? A Hobbit too from the looks.

"Well..." Larien started, unsure a bit as to why he would so boldly annouce that he was looking for danger. She blamed the drinks. Yet, she allowed her original Hobbit companion to ask his question. From her travels to the Shire as well, she somewhat picked up on the 'look' Peter spoke of- granted she never stayed for more than a few moments, or the occasional meal from a few aquantences. "Any sort of danger you're looking for?" She finally asked, setting the empty drink down and asking quickly for a glass of any wine they could find to a passing server. Normally Larien would prefer a better wine, though, she knew much of that was fast to go for those who could pay for it. The ale, however, was somewhat up to her standards and she wished to see how the rest of it would taste.

"Er...well, yes i am. I'm actually Bilbo's... never mind. it doesn't matter. Anyway-" Thorns was cut off as the Elf asked him a question. He laughed. "Oh, any sort of danger will do. Though, preferably something with lots of fighting, money, and treasure involved. Say, are you a Mirkwood elf? Uncle Bilb- that is, i went there once, and you look familiar." As he sat down, he wondered where this was going to lead.

((I was just basing that on what is in the first post, but I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to having them actually find the ring smile.gif. However, if we take the ‘Bilbo lost the ring’ route (which I do like), or the ‘Bilbo joins us’ route (which is also good, but would require someone comfortable with writing cannon characters), there are several questions that I feel would need to be taken into consideration. Not deal breaking questions, simply some details to hammer out.

na82008, I believe even with BeardedKumquat’s Kirdoc (whom we’ve not heard from essentially since application), there’s room for one more Hobbit…However, just want you to be aware that we had a conversation about this on the bottom of page 11 to the top of page 12 and basically, if we’re full and someone else wants to join, those of us with 2 characters may have to sacrifice/send one off. Though to be honest, I don’t really see that being a concern, so unless anyone objects, I'd say go ahead. wink.gif ))

Edited by starphyre77

((I can't see why not Na smile.gif just as long as you're alright with the conversation Star pointed out.))

Mirkwood elf? Larien surely thought that if he had actually been there, as he said, that he would realize she wasn't. Yet, perhaps that was giving him a bit too much credit and after tasting the wine brought to her, the she-elf responded. "My family was originally from Lothlorien, though I had moved to Rivendell for a while and set off on my own adventure shortly thereafter." She didn't take offense to Thorn's comment; actually more curious as to why he continued to stumble over a few words.

Larien gave a glance to Shala, noticing her sword had been gone since she came in. It took a few moments now of thought for the elf to realize the Dwarf had gotten it taken by the blacksmith and not left it somewhere here with Cuthraed. She smiled. "You're weapon's being taken care of then properly?" She asked to what probably seemed completely out of nowehere to nearly everyone. Larien didn't mind. That was normal for her after knowing her for a good amount of time. She liked to keep questions and curiosities running through her mind. Usually the forests or streams answered those, but sometimes beings like Dwarves could too.

(( I actually didn't notice Shala had gone in.. I was actually waiting for that for about a week now...

Oh my god I'm a terrible person. ))

Dandy sat down at the table without any invitation, yet for some reason, most people who saw this probably wouldn't say anything. He had the presence of a man who belonged among friends and probably had many of his own. Both, fortunately, were very true statements.

He made himself more comfortable and then proceeded to withdraw his pipe, sighing happily.

"I see we got us a prospective new member. That right?" he smiled pleasantly as he took a puff. "Well then, nice to meetcha. Name's Dandy."

He was taken aback when the elf said she wasn't from Mirkwood. he was usually spot on about this kind of stuff. then again, he did have an empty beer mug in his hand, and that didn't help his observation skills. Two Dwarfs walked up and sat down, and Thorns immediately knew they belonged there. He cocked an eyebrow at Dandy's introduction and said, "I don't quite know how you figured that out, as you just sat down, but yes, you're right. The name's Thorns. what exactly are you doing, and who's Human, Elf, and other Dwarf?"