chicbecause

Middle Earth

((No worries Thaelasan, I’ve done the same thing more often than I’d like to admit wink.gif.))

Cuthraed was more than a little surprised when yet another Hobbit approached them. He’d gone from never having heard of Hobbits to suddenly finding them seemingly coming out of the woodwork, and was starting to wonder if perhaps they were commonly found only outside of Rohan. Then again, he’d been to this village before and had never encountered them before…Strange, he thought as he took another drink and listened to the others.

Making her way over to the table Shala was surprised to see Hobbits sitting there as well. When Larien asked about the sword, Shala smiled at the Elf as she said, “It is indeed. I have been assured that the repairs will be completed by the time we are ready to depart.” She fell silent for a moment as she once again tried to figure out why the blacksmith had acted the way that he had. However, her chain of thought was interrupted when one of the Hobbits asked who they were.

“Ah yes, introductions all around,” Cuthraed said and then he pointed to each person in turn as he continued, “I am Cuthraed son of Cuthred, and this is Larien, Shala daughter of Baergor, and as he has said, Dandy. Shala, Dandy, this is Peter Karlkin and Thorns, they are-“

“Hobbits,” Shala finished for him, “from the Shire if I do not miss my guess. Well met the both of you.” She sat down across from the Hobbits. “I must admit, I am surprised to find Hobbits so far from the Shire.” She looked at Thorns as she added, “I also believe I heard the name Bilbo… Would that perhaps be Bilbo Baggins?” She knew that the first part of his question hadn’t been addressed, but she felt that that topic would be best saved for a more private setting.

((Been stressed... but I'm around smile.gif no worries.))

Larien nodded to Shala with approval. They wouldn't have to worry about the sword. She then listened to everyone talk, very happy to relax a little and continued to take sips from her drink. Once everyone was aquianted for, she figured now would be a good time to mention where she had originally found Peter- as well as the myriad of markets- before things got bogged down again by talk. It was helpful at least.

"Well," Her mug hit the table a bit hard unintentionally as she sat it down. She paused, hoping it didn't scare anyone before continuing. "I'd be happy to report that a food situation and supplies has been accounted for. There's a clump of different markets a little ways from this Inn, and from what I saw the combined structure has got a good array of any food one could possibly want." She grinned, knowing it would at least make someone a little bit happy. "They weren't open tonight, however I do know that dawn they will be starting. Maybe not of them all but most. I figured we could stock up on supplies and food as I noticed a lot of different traders there too." She added, taking another sip of her drink.

When Larien’s mug hit the table, Shala quickly looked to the Elf to see what was wrong, but as Larien spoke she realized that it must not have been intentional. Taking a drink of the ale that was just brought to her, she said, “That is good to hear.” She then thought about what supplies they’d be needing and mused as she glanced around the table, “I wonder, with our company growing like it is, if perhaps we should get a pack pony or horse. I do not want to over burden Clover.” She also silently wondered how they were going to pay for their supplies. She may have had a fair amount of coin with her, but her purse wasn’t bottomless.

"Eh, if it's money you need, that be me trade." Dandy pointed a thumb at himself proudly. "I'm a bard by trade. An entertainer. I can make quite a few points in the wallet in mebbe a minute."

He pulled the instrument from his back, admiring it.

"Aye. But that's only if need be. And I'd need a bit of time to find a proper place ta set up, ye kin." he said quickly. "Cannae really just play wherever ye are."

Shala gave a small smile as she nodded to Dandy and said, “That is also good to know. We may at some point in our journey have the need to find you such a proper place, but I do not think it needed just yet.” She noticed that Cuthraed had gotten his second ale since she’d sat down. Looking at the Man with a slightly raised brow, she said, “I do trust there will not be a repeat of last time?”

Upon hearing the question, Cuthraed gulped down what was in his mouth, and then cleared his throat and said, “No. No, I assure you there will be no repeat.” He then looked at Dandy and said, “That is an interesting instrument. What is its tale?”

Larien listened to the others speak as she watched around the Inn to see who else might catch their attention. Nobody really stood out. Yet, some still seemed rather curious to their group. She had to admit the arrangement was a little odd. You rarely saw Dwarves with Elves, or Elves for that matter, even Hobbits were rare. Men weren't as rare as they liked to think, though the intriguing kind seemed harder to find than your average Man.

The Elf still listened to the conversation taking place though and smiled at the thought of Dandy playing music. She loved music more than anyone probably thought. But Shala's curious question dislodged that thought before her memory went back to the explanation of how they met. It was understandable to be asked then.

Cuthraed spoke last, asking Dandy about his instrument. It was during that moment that Larien passed her gaze over the silent Hobbits. It wasn't much like them to stay silent for so long. She didn't want to interrupt Dandy's explanation however to ask, so she kept quiet out of respect.

"Well you see," Dandy began, pleased, "this used to be my favorite battle-axe. However, after one bad battle, we were all a little depressed. We had won quite a few before that one but for some reason, it stood out strong in our minds. So, I thought to meself, I'm gonna fix it. So I took my axe and I began working and I turned it into a nice, little, playable thing."

He thumbed one of the notes to emphasize his point. It sang throughout the end melodically. A few patrons even turned to look, smiling.

"Well when I tried to play it, I apparently woke up a few mountain giants, and things went comically from there." he blushed a bit, embarrassed. "BUT! That's why it's called me Mountainwaker."

Cuthraed was surprised to learn that Dandy’s instrument had actually started out as a weapon, and Dandy’s explanation only served to intrigue him even more. “Well now,” he said, “That sounds like a tale which needs to be heard in its entirety.”

Satisfied with Cuthraed’s answer to her question, Shala had simply nodded as he asked Dandy about his instrument. However, Dandy’s answer had rather piqued her curiosity as well so she smiled at Dandy as she said, “Aye lad, that it does.”

((Sorry if I didn’t give you much to work with…couldn’t think of anything else to write. unsure.gif ))

Sorry, been really busy lately. haven't been able to get on.

Thorns sat and listened to the conversation going on around him. These were some very interesting characters he was getting involved with. He especially liked that dwarf, Dandy. He seemed a trustworthy enough fellow. "I don't mean to interrupt, but if it's horses and ponies you need, i know a fellow who owes me a favor. he can get us some both for pack and riding. If you want me to, i can go ask him tomorrow." Thorn leaned back in his chair, having said his part, now content to listen for a while.

Shala took another drink of her ale as she listened to Thorns, and she couldn’t help but wonder again if the ‘Bilbo’ he had mentioned before was indeed the same Bilbo who had traveled with her cousins. Tucking that question away for another time, she took out her pipe as she said, “Aye lad, that would be very helpful.” Not realizing that pipe smoking may not have spread to that region, she set about packing and lighting her pipe. After taking an inhale, she blew out a smoke ring and said, “The question is, however, how many do we need and will this fellow have enough? I would not want to put anyone out.”

Larien listened quietly still, smirking as the Dwarves talked and mused about Dandy's story. She was interested - she had to admit - but didn't wish to interrupt as Shala also seemed interested. That and Thorns talked of ponies and horses.

"I've got Aklen still. Somewhere." She piped up quickly, the smile soon changing to a bit of wonderment. She had had a stable-boy take her horse to a stable, yet she had realized now he didn't specify, if he had to move the horse, where that location would be. She dismissed it. "He's a fine horse and can carry two more of your kind if you need. Friendly too." She added with a smile again, taking a sip of the ale as more food was brought around.

Peter listened as the talk turned to transportation. Transportation in the form of horses. He did not like travailing on such large animals, but he decided to say nothing because time may be a factor. Information can disappear and leave them without a trail, but they may not need horses in the first place. "Where will we be going after leaving this town? If we will be climbing mountains or going across lakes, there would be no point to getting horses. It would be faster on foot" Peter said. He hoped that they weren't just going to wander aimlessly through Middle-earth.

Wondering what she was doing, Cuthraed watched Shala with interest but when she started to breathe smoke, his expression became confused. Before he could ask her about it, he found himself distracted by Larien and Peter and after giving their comments some thought, he shook his head as he looked at Peter and said, “No, I am fairly certain that our destination would be reached quickest if we all rode.” He then turned to Larien as he added, “I know that Aklen, and Garulf as well, could easily handle the added weight of one of these good Hobbits. However, doubling on a horse could prove to be a hindrance if we are attacked…” He almost added ‘again’ to his statement but managed to keep it unsaid.

Shala was oblivious to the confused look Cuthraed, and indeed some of the other patrons, gave her as she continued to smoke while listening to the others. Though she nodded in agreement to Cuthraed, she gave Peter a considering look as she tried to figure out why he might be against getting horses. “We will be traveling north when we leave here,” she said deliberately keeping any specifics unsaid. She then gave him an understanding smile as she added, “And not to worry lad, we would not be getting you a horse but I think a pony would suit you and Thorns here just fine.”

((I thought I had posted here so I was waiting for others to post.... seeing as i haven't (or it got lost) I'll write something up again smile.gif

I too hope this hasn't died.))

Larien nodded to Shala's comment with a smile. "Ponies would work wonderfully." She commented as if it needed to be said, glancing around a bit. A few others not of their group were watching them all converse. Or Shala smoke. Maybe a bit of both. "But, if we cannot find a pony for you two you're welcome to Aklen. He's a gentle but sturdy horse. Happy to help." She added as she took another sip of her drink. Her attention was then caught on the food. None of it seem particularly to her liking, much like the drinks, though she had learned not to be too picky on food matters during her traveling before. The trip was going to be a long one. She picked up a piece of bread but didn't start to eat it just yet. "And if it's a case of not knowing how to ride..." The elf's pause was gauging if that actually was the case. "No need to worry. We're here to help. Even if that means giving quick lessons on the subject." Someone slapped the table a little behind them, laughing about something. Larien shook her head and started to eat her bread.

Edited by Dragonhatchling

Dandy stared downward into his cup with a slight frown and then turned upward quickly, his face bright and pleasant.

"Ye know, I just had a bright idea, I did." he said. "How about instead o' talkin' about this like actual civilized folk, we take action, aye? I apologize, but dwarves don't be known for their patience when it comes ta battle, I hope. Well, some are, but those are clans we ain't affiliated with at the moment, least I'm not. Don't know about the Dwarven lass here-" he gestured to Shala, "-as it's not my place to state her allegiances."

He then stood to his full height (which, among dwarves, was fairly high) and grunted.

"As for more o' my story, th' whole point of bein' a bard is to... well, hold things out for full value. For everything we kill, I'll add a word or two to the story that I told you. How's that for a fair deal, aye? Hehe."

He then shouldered Mountainwaker and headed for the door.

"I'll be outside the town when you're ready." he stated, walking off.

Just so you guys know, i probably won't be able to post for a few weeks/months. i have been in Utah, and i'm extending my stay for a while. But anyways, we're gonna be pretty busy for a while, but i'll try to get on.

Thorns leaned back in his chair and relaxed. It looked like these people might be trustworthy. Thorns had a good sense about people, and it was telling him that they him no harm. He especially like that dwarf Dandy. After a few minutes, Thorns stood up and said, "Well, if we want to leave in the near future, we should probably start getting prepared for the travel. If anyone needs me, i'll be talking to owner of this place. Last time i was around these parts, he a shop in the back with supplies."

“Aye,” Shala said at Larien’s statement, “it would be a simple matter.” She was about to add more but before she could, Dandy spoke and she found herself watching him in confusion as he started for the door. She did agree that action was better than just words, but to go into battle with no plan what-so-ever would only invite disaster. Not only that, but the night was wearing on, and the blacksmith would not have the sword ready until dawn.

Cuthraed said, “A moment Dandy, if you would. I have already procured two rooms, one for the women and one for us men-folk. Now, there is nothing wrong with making camp, I grant, but there is no sense in turning down a soft bed when one is available. I have no doubt there will be room enough for our newest companions as well.” He added that last with a smile and nod in Thorns’ and Peter’s direction.

“He makes a fine point,” Shala said as she took another puff. “In the morn, we will restock our provisions and after I finish my business, we will leave here well prepared for whatever may come.”

Larien finished her bread and glass, waiting until everyone else was finished talking for a moment to cram a word in. "There's also a few specialty shops in that market- where I met you Peter." She smiled. That market was arguably the largest one in the city. But not far off was a few others who had specialties of their own. She would like to visit the Elf-trader post as well to see what wares they held. It may come in handy after all.

"The rooms would hold the Hobbits just fine even with us there." The she-elf added, starting to stand up. Someone a table behind shouted and a mug was thrown in her direction. Instinct shifted her out of the way of it as it clashed down into pieces on the table. Thrown hard enough to break clay.

"Ah we missed!" Another shouted as Larien looked questioningly to Shala and Cuthread mostly before turning around to face them. "She is an elf!" The same man shouted rather drunkly. That whole table was beyond help by that point.

Larien moved from her spot without a word, walking over to the bartender at the counter and order the table two rounds of their strongest drink- paying already to be sure. The mugs went around and the table cheered while the elf sauntered back to her traveling partners. "That should keep the rousing quiet." The she-elf stated matter-of-factly as if nothing really happened. Their table seemed more of a mess now with bits of clay mug everywhere.

While Larien seemed to have taken the insult in stride, Shala was livid. It would have been one thing if the insult – and mug – had been hurled at some random Mirkwood Elf, but Larien wasn’t a random Elf… In fact, after what they’d been through, Shala considered her a friend. Added to that was the blatant disregard the insulters showed for those around their target. For all they knew, clay fragments could have cut any one of the other people at the table and yet not a single word of apology. Not only that, but if that mug had been full, they’d have all been drenched along with their food…and her pipe.

All those thoughts combined to make for a very displeased Dwarf, but Shala could tell that Larien didn’t want any trouble so she found herself trying very hard to keep her anger under control. Sitting straight and still, she had her hands clenched into fists on the table as she silently glared straight ahead. She didn’t trust herself to speak, and knew that if she looked at either the mess or the men who caused it, she’d likely break.

When the mug hit the table, Cuthraed had instinctively stood up ready to defend if they were attacked. However, when it became clear just what they were dealing with and how Larien preferred to deal with it, he gave the men at the other table a brief glance then gave a small shake of his head as he looked to Larien and said, “One would hope.” He then looked down at Shala only to see that, unfortunately, the Dwarf was not quite as ready to brush the matter aside. Recognizing the look on her face, he knew that she was just one prod away from a brawl. He also felt pretty sure that if Shala became involved in a fight, then Dandy would naturally go to her aide and he didn’t want to think of the havoc that two brawling Dwarves would wreak. “The hour grows late,” he said in tone that he hoped wouldn’t be that final prod, “and if we plan to start early, what say we retire for the evening?”

((Writing that last part, I couldn’t help but picture Cuthread doing the clichéd looking at a non-existent watch and saying ‘well…look at the time’ xd.png . ))

Dandy stopped suddenly, both from Cuthraed's remark and from the battle that had almost taken place. Smiling, he turned sharply and bowed.

"Very well. If it be Shala's wish and the shared wish of everyone else here, I 'ave no place to go against it. Alright. I can do with that, aye."

He then headed up the stairs to the room, frowning at the drunken men, memorizing their faces in detail. As he went up the stairs, he thought of ways to help them understand their wrong.

Though Cuthread’s words did nothing to calm Shala’s rage, at Dandy’s words, she glanced to the older Dwarf and noticed that his demeanor seemed to indicate that he was displeased as well. Slightly mollified by that fact, she took a deep breath and then in a nearly inaudible to Men mutter she asked, “And if it is not my wish?” She kept telling herself that it was Larien that they’d insulted, and so it was Larien’s decision whether or not to call them on it. Unfortunately, she was having some troubles getting herself to believe that.

((What do we think folks, do we want to get into an old fashioned bar brawl, or would we rather not?))