The Fluffy Raptor

PETA: Extremist Organization, Mass Slaugther

PETA hypocrisy is nothing new. I've gotten into arguments with members of PETA and every single one has been a complete loon.

They're classified formally as a terrorist group, and rightly so.

Ah, do you have a source on that?

I've always heard people saying they should be, but I never heard that they actually were--and it would be nice to have something to link to when people try to claim they're not!

Is there anything newer? I found another article claiming it was removed from the USDA's list about a month after that one was published.

So, I've seen claims that it was accidentally classified as a terrorist group and that it is now no longer classified that way...

The Pit Bull thing is news to me, and that's absolutely disgusting. Having volunteered at an animal shelter myself for a bit, it's sad hearing the stories of how abused those poor dogs are and the bad misconceptions people have about their entire breed. They're actually one of the nicest breed of dog; just because some people train them to be killers doesn't condemn them all.

Personally I would love to have a pit bull or pit bull mix puppy to raise once I move out on my own, because as a single female it can be dangerous living alone and I want a strong, intelligent, loyal dog that will be capable of defending me should the need arise. The problem is that the same personality traits that make them such amazing companion and defense animals also makes them highly trainable and effective as fighting animals. When a dog receives positive reinforcement of ANY behavior it is going to continue to express that behavior... and fighting behavior being encouraged is only amplified in breeds with a powerful drive to please their masters.

---

Personally I think that PETA should have been completely eradicated a long time ago. I do understand that some animals are harmed due to humans, but there are many who experience exactly the opposite. Most of my pets, for example, were rescues in one form or another.

My cat was a stray who was put out in my neighborhood as a kitten. We took him in, had him neutered, and he now enjoys life with regular meals, clean water, and three people who care for him. He spends most of his days alternating between sunning in a window and sitting in someone's lap, purring as he's given the attention he so desires.

My Labrador was adopted from a local breeder who had planned to send her to a dog pound as soon as she was weaned simply because she had a broken tail from when her mother sat on her as a pup.

My Aussie mutt(we think she's also part husky, but we don't know for sure) was adopted from a local college that takes in animals from an overcrowded local shelter to help teach their vet tech students proper husbandry and care and then adopted out at the end of each semester.

I have also previously rescued and rehomed three different ponies and have had two other rescue dogs in the past.

One pony was at auction and a well-known "meat buyer" was after her, so I bought her. She was in desperate need of retraining, but a home was found where she was wanted as a companion animal for another horse.

The second pony, a very calm, gentle stallion, was initially found wandering by a local highway and my mother brought it home temporarily until we could work out what to do. We found his previous owners and saw terrible conditions(they were keeping him under their back deck with chicken wire wrapped around the posts to make a "stall"), but were legally required to return him because they could prove ownership. Several weeks later he was again found wandering near the highway. We didn't even contact the owners that time and found him a home with a family with a small girl who would grow up with him as her companion.

The third pony was apparently "rescued" by the owners we found her with, but had been left with no care for her hooves for what looked like at least a year, and had a very young foal at heel with a severe leg deformity that had been left untreated. They initially refused to sell her, but when the foal died they tried to lie to us, telling us that it had been "given away to a friend" at only a month and a half old. We bought her and I kept her as a companion for nearly a decade before financial issues forced me to find her a new home. She now lives happily with a friend of the family who raises sheep.

Another Labrador that I had several years ago was adopted from what I would equate to an outdoor puppy mill. There were several males kept in small kennels next to a large lot where probably two dozen females were kept together. They were provided a large steel trough with disgusting water and had a large bag of food dumped into the lot once a day. The poor old girl was too old to whelp anymore, so the owners just wanted her gone. She was a bit protective of her food around other dogs 'til the day we had to have her euthanized(cancer, inoperable due to her age), but was a wonderful pet regardless.

A male labrador/german shepherd mix was approximately 8 months old when my family was going to a local breeder to purchase a puppy. We found him, as the breeder was leading us to where the pups were, cowering in a kennel that was hardly big enough for him to turn around in. He was covered in mud and underweight. We asked about him and the breeder told us he was "an unfortunate accident with his daughter's pet" and that the only reason he was still on the premises was because his daughter was too attached to it. We talked with the daughter and ended up taking him home. He was with us for more than 12 years before passing quietly in his sleep of natural causes.

Every single one of these animals are animals that PETA would have probably killed within hours of seizing, but each of them has lived, or is living, a healthy life with all the care and attention they could ever want. All of them have been wonderful pets and have made me and my family very happy. I only wish that someone would open their eyes to what they're really doing, but they're clearly the sort of people who will argue their case in the face of any logic until they talk themselves in circles.

tl;dr?

PETA is nasty and I have proof from my own life experiences that even the most unlikely rescued animals can be wonderful pets and companions. Domestication does them no harm if properly loved.

Edited by keijaidyyn

It was indeed a misclassification - or perhaps changed, after the two people in PETA who were particularly dangerous left.:

EDITOR'S NOTE: This column has been updated. The original version referred to PETA as listed by the USDA as a terrorist threat, but the organization was removed from such a denomination in late 2009. The column also referred to Mary Beth Sweetland as PETA's senior vice president and Gary Yourofsky as one of the organization's national lecturers. Neither work for the organization any longer.

Source:

http://www.lsureveille.com/opinion/columni...19bb30f31a.html

- a site which is not too happy with them either, so I guess that's the TRUTH !

You mean, this kind of stuff isn't common knowledge already? =P

I don't like PETA any more than the next person, but there are many, many more travesties regarding animal welfare that are going on without an iota of publicity that PETA's actions seem to garner. I wish all the rage and outcry these kind of sensationalist reports create could be funneled into something more productive and long-term, like stopping the inhumane practices of shark-finning, bear bile farms, exotic wild animal trade, factory farming, ocean trawling, destructive dam-building, etc. But I guess that's what happens when it concerns puppies and kittens, which most people can see/purchase on a regular basis and prefer to have empathy for. Not that they don't deserve concern, but domestic cats and dogs aren't in any danger of going extinct because of PETA's actions, nor are they powerful enough that they dominate a majority of animal welfare/adoption agencies. I dunno, I don't have the time to write up a big long paragraph (lol right), but I just want to say that if you're truly outraged by PETA's treatment of animals, go beyond the tabloids and see that-- by comparison-- there's a lot more heinous things going on that require intervention and concern.

Btw, I think it was actually the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) that released all the mink from the fur farm, which devastated the local ecosystems. Same crazy ideals, different crazy-people.

And that isn't including what they think of livestock, or the fur industry. I highly doubt that they would ever willingly disband as long as there is any perceived cruelty left.

Just a quick aside...

Fur industry/factory farming ARE cruel...

Just a quick aside...

That's why you work on ways to improve them and make them more and more humane rather than deciding nobody can eat/wear animals products unless they themselves killed and prepared the animal. Or, if that's not possible, then you work on ways to find humane alternatives.

Edited by KageSora

You mean, this kind of stuff isn't common knowledge already? =P

I don't like PETA any more than the next person, but there are many, many more travesties regarding animal welfare that are going on without an iota of publicity that PETA's actions seem to garner. I wish all the rage and outcry these kind of sensationalist reports create could be funneled into something more productive and long-term, like stopping the inhumane practices of shark-finning, bear bile farms, exotic wild animal trade, factory farming, ocean trawling, destructive dam-building, etc. But I guess that's what happens when it concerns puppies and kittens, which most people can see/purchase on a regular basis and prefer to have empathy for. Not that they don't deserve concern, but domestic cats and dogs aren't in any danger of going extinct because of PETA's actions, nor are they powerful enough that they dominate a majority of animal welfare/adoption agencies. I dunno, I don't have the time to write up a big long paragraph (lol right), but I just want to say that if you're truly outraged by PETA's treatment of animals, go beyond the tabloids and see that-- by comparison-- there's a lot more heinous things going on that require intervention and concern.

Btw, I think it was actually the Animal Liberation Front (ALF) that released all the mink from the fur farm, which devastated the local ecosystems. Same crazy ideals, different crazy-people.

The reason PETA gets this reaction is because they masquerade themselves as an organization that helps animals when all they do is cause harm. There are plenty of other terrible things that happen, but no fur-farmer claims that they're rescuing animals or anything. Yes, it's horrible and those things are a lot worse, but PETA is outright lying.

No one is saying those things aren't bad, but just because there are worse things than PETA doesn't mean that this shouldn't be brought to people's attention.

That's why you work on ways to improve them and make them more and more humane rather than deciding nobody can eat/wear animals products unless they themselves killed and prepared the animal. Or, if that's not possible, then you work on ways to find humane alternatives.

That's what gets me with some people. The ones that want to eat natural healthy things never think of what another person wants they only want it their way. The ones that are against eating meat want to tell people not to and try to stop it. They don't think about what others want.

Yes I understand how they get things are sometimes cruel but until a new and better way is found we are stuck with what we know we can do. You don't force someone to change their way of life just to benefit yours.

(I know this does not apply to each and every one of them but yeah)

Anyway has anyone ever brought a lawsuit against PETA for animal cruelty? There is enough evidence that they do not treat animals as well as they claim to.

No one is saying those things aren't bad, but just because there are worse things than PETA doesn't mean that this shouldn't be brought to people's attention.

Nor was I saying it shouldn't. On the contrary, I'm glad topics like this get posted if it helps educate people. I was surprised how many were unaware of PETA's methods, which is why I suggested that those who find the reports horrifying do some more research into similar, less publicized animal welfare issues, if they desire to put a stop to such things.

If anyone from PETA came to my house to take my dogs and rabbit, it's enough to say that I'll ''euthanize' them. I don't have a gun or any euthanasia injection, but I do have a huge meat cleaver I can throw around.

Black comedy aside, I despise PETA with all my life and I knew about what the organization did. Australia's RSPCA at least has a track record of adoption and rehoming pets, albeit not a perfect one at that. I think they're ridiculous to the point of being utterly ignorant. Not to mention Pokemon Black and Blue. That parody sickens me, both as an animal-lover and a longtime Pokemon player.

I would like to know why legal action isn't taken to put an end to PETA's hypocrisy? They are clearly harming domestic creatures when the animals are healthy and good for adoption. Is it not considered cruelty because they do not beat them senseless beforehand?

Pie - healthy animals are put down across the country at all kinds of shelters for various reasons, including (but not up to) aggression and space reasons in the shelter. It's not a problem that can really be solved unless more people start adopting and/or fewer people dump/release/give up/fail to spay or neuter pets.

I am aware of this--what I meant was that they are allowed to put down such a high number of animals. How putting down over 95% of healthy animals entrusted in the organization is legal is more what I wanted to know.

Edited by PieMaster

If anyone from PETA came to my house to take my dogs and rabbit, it's enough to say that I'll ''euthanize' them.

I don't even want to discuss what would happen to any of them who ever tried to so much as look at one of my pets. xd.png Let's just say my father is an avid hunter and I've been able to shoot a small caliber rifle and various other firearms since I was approximately 8 years old. I'm now 22. wink.gif

I don't even want to discuss what would happen to any of them who ever tried to so much as look at one of my pets. xd.png Let's just say my father is an avid hunter and I've been able to shoot a small caliber rifle and various other firearms since I was approximately 8 years old. I'm now 22. wink.gif

Guns are illegal here in Australia. Maybe I shouldn't look at your pets either... xd.png

How putting down over 95% of healthy animals entrusted in the organization legal is more what I wanted to know.

This.

Isn't anyone checking up on these guys? Why aren't the authorities shutting them down?

This.

Isn't anyone checking up on these guys? Why aren't the authorities shutting them down?

Maybe it's because they don't know what's happening behind the grey walls? wink.gif

Just a quick aside...

As another aside yes most factory farming methods are cruel. However, most documenteries that describe factory farming are done on meat chicken farming. The chickens shown tend to be CornishxRoc Crosses and the statements that the environment causes them to lose their feathers and that it also makes it harder for them to stand.

Actually its how fast the crossbred bird grows. Those birds biologically can't live for more than a few months before their legs break to the extreme growth (caused by their genes not the food their eating) which is one reason they are used in the meat industry. They grow really quickly.

Most of the cruelty I've known about has come from factory farmed pork, beef, and eggs.

Speaking of farm stuff and not to go completely off topic, PETA lobbied and successfully made it illegal for pork farmers to use a type of birthing box for their female pigs. They clamied that since the farmers could shut the pregnant sows into them when they started showing signs of labor that it was cruel. In actuallity the method of shutting the pig into the box was to make it think it was in a burrow like space so they would give birth in a protected area within the pen because there had been problems with sows stepping on and killing babies when they stood up.

I'm wary of the article, really. Mr. Windograd is a well-known figure, but his references all seem to lead back in on themselves, and it seems like he's the only one bringing it up. I think I'll wait until the claims are backed up elsewhere before actually participating in the PETA bashing.

I can't help but to be tied between hoping it's true, and hoping it's false. The loss of animals is terrible, but the fact that it'd bring a massive fraud down would be a worthy sacrifice.

I'm wary of the article, really. Mr. Windograd is a well-known figure, but his references all seem to lead back in on themselves, and it seems like he's the only one bringing it up. I think I'll wait until the claims are backed up elsewhere before actually participating in the PETA bashing.

I can't help but to be tied between hoping it's true, and hoping it's false. The loss of animals is terrible, but the fact that it'd bring a massive fraud down would be a worthy sacrifice.

Some of this stuff has been reported on before, though--like how PETA kills tons of animals given up to them in the hopes of finding a home.

Or, if you want other things PETA does wrong, take their horribly sexist ways of "advertising" their causes--y'know, things like sticking barely clothed women in cages to show how cruel it is to lock up animals and stuff.

Or attempting to 100% misrepresent well-known franchises as animal-cruelty-centric and hiding behind "parody" when called on it. (See Pokemon Black and Blue--ANY fan of Pokemon can tell you they're 100% wrong with it)

Or trying to get people to stop eating fish by trying to rename them "sea kittens". (That was a good laugh)

Or handing out rather bloody and nasty comics to kids--you can get "Your Daddy Kills Animals" right from their website, and IIRC they had one about moms killing animals for fur.

I also remember a controversy where they wanted to use the images from some horrible beheading on a bus for their campaigns. I think it was halted, but the fact that they even wanted to do it says a lot.

A quick search shows that they made an ad that they put on their website (and wanted to run it in a paper but were denied because it was in poor taste).

It was comparing animals killed for food to an attack where one passenger was stabbed and beheaded by a fellow passenger--who allegedly cannibalized his victim during the attack.