The Fluffy Raptor

PETA: Extremist Organization, Mass Slaugther

Honestly, do any of the larger organizations even care about following through with their messages these days? PETA kills healthy animals on a large scale...ASPCA is known to send animals to kill shelters without reason...HSUS doesn't take much of a stand against wrongful euthanasia anymore, along with celebrating slaughter.

So what happens to all those generous donations they receive? Are we paying to kill the animals that we were told we were saving?

Just...urgh.

Edited by The Dragoness

Honestly I wish there was a stronger push for the actual way you can help animals: donate to your local humane society or animal sanctuary.

The big organizations often are too big to make sure every single thing is up to par. Even if they have the best intentions, there will always be branches, leaders, volunteers, etc that are bad eggs and you'll never know if your money is going there.

If you donate to your local humane society or animal sanctuary, or even your local AZA-accredited zoo, you can go and see for yourself how the animals are treated. A lot of local shelters (at least around here) actually have different pools you can donate to - donate funds for food, supplies, medical care, etc. You know exactly what your money is going for.

The reason PETA and other large, horrible organizations like HSUS (which is NOT the same as the [Town] Humane Society, NO funds donated to the HSUS go to any local humane society anywhere) get away with what they do is because of the anonymity. They put out positive or shocking articles, you donate, and you feel good because you donated to "help" that cause, but they actually use it for something else like euthanizing stolen animals.

Most people never dig further because it's 1.) a well known name and 2.) obviously if it's allowed to continue it's a good, legal, moral organization.

It's a horrible moral trap.

So what happens to all those generous donations they receive? Are we paying to kill the animals that we were told we were saving?

Yes.

I know some vegans that support PETA. When I mentioned this stuff to them they didn't believe me, so thanks for the link. I didn't know or care about PETA for a long time, but frankly, after they vandalized a house in my area, and put a naked Kardashian on a bill board, I didn't want to know more then I already did. It seems to me that they tend to take things too far. I like animals, but I don't think going vegetarian/vegan is the solution. People evolved to be omnivorous, and although in big cities there are enough vegan/vegetarian substitutes, in many places this is not the case. Instead people who like animals could support no-kill shelters, foster pets from the SPCA, buy ethically sourced meat/animal products (if in doubt and you're able to, visit the farm in question), and support the conservation of the habitats that wild animals need to survive. If people still want to go vegan/vegetarian, then do some research on the health effects of these diets before you make the commitment.

Much more to the point - if they believed in treating animals well, they would not be killing them at the rate that they are. That, for me, means that nothing they suggest deserves attention. I prefer to listen to my grandchild, who tells me - quite a lot - that I ought to be veggie, so as not to be cruel to animals. That is honest and that kind of argument is the kind that might eventually sway me.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

IMO, biggest reason to go veggie (or at least reduce the amount of meat one eats) isn't to be kinder to animals but to reduce your carbon footprint. It also does have health benefits (e.g. reducing risk of heart disease & type 2 diabetes) if you take care of yourself on a plant-based diet.

also importantly, dunno if this has been posted before, but many of the animals getting killed are admitted to be adoptable

I wear a tee-shirt that states that I belong to PETA...  People Eating Tasty Animals.  That is what I do and that is my choice.  I am totally at odds with the people that feel that a chicken must be raised as a 'free-range' fowl so that it may enjoy its short life and a farm and food animal for the Human Species...  Bull pucky.  It has always been a food animal, both for its meat AND for its eggs.  It totally frosts me that the only eggs that can be sold in California or even brought into the state for sale is the requirement that these eggs MUST be from wider, roomier cages.  Of course this greatly increases the cost of a dozen eggs to the point that some families cannot afford to use this nutricious food source in their family meals.

IMO, food animals should be raised as economically as possible to provide healthy meals for ALL people.