AngelKitty

If you could live forever...

Would You Want To Live Forever?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd mostly want to in order to see how it all ends. I want to know if we are responsible for offing ourselves or if we die from something else like a meteor.

sure i don't care about anything that happens as long as i am completly immortal

i can deal with seeing ugly people die, at least one person dies every second and nobody is bothered by it

As a human I would say no. But if I could be something else that's more endurable, that won't fell ill, won't effected by morality and everything human, and won't be damaged by environments, something that can keep every experiences it has learned and won't ever forget, I would say I want to live till this universe ends. I would like to know all and preserve the knowledge I've learned for as long as I can. All in all I want to be an immortal public library (that won't be destroyed by wars or revolutions, or natural catastrophes and other disasters)...

The thing about death which troubles me is that it erases every information a being has collected through it's lifetime and reduces them to dust.

The next best thing is to find a way to pass down whole lifes' knowledges from generations to generations without any loss of information. In this way history may be less repetitive and less destructive.

Edited by ishlia

I'd take it. Absolutely.

Well... as long as I stopped aging at some point, obviously, because what good is immortality if your body continues to decay anyway? Eternal youth would be amazing, I'd give my all to remain sixteen, I mean I'm depressed enough about my 17th birthday in two weeks' time. T_T It's mostly the physical aspect, I admit - but also the fact that your mind deteriorates with age, memory starts failing as well as the capability to learn quickly. That's one thing I fear a lot.

*thinks of Dorian Gray and reconsiders... nah, still a damn good deal*

But honestly, if necessary, I wouldn't mind stopping even at an older age. (Because as cool as eternally looking 16 would be, it would have its downfalls in practice. Who would ever take me seriously like that?!) Long before old age issues start kicking in, though. 50 tops, I'd say.

I might feel different later, but at the moment, I'm terrified of death. I can't seem to make myself believe in an afterlife or anything of the sort, and oblivion is positively the worst thing that could happen. On top of that, I'm prone to wasting time, and I fear I've already thrown a good chunk of my life out the window, with no way to get it back. But if I had unlimited time, I could easily make up for that without any regrets later...

One problem I could see would be continually having to adapt to a changing society, changing values, a constantly developing world. It would be like older people trying to adjust to the modern technology that kids already grow up with these days, except taken to a whole higher level. But I'm sure over time it would become easier and easier.

This issue with everyone around you dying, that gets thrown around a lot, but honestly? I'd have a literal eternity to get over it. At first I'd be shattered, sure, there's no use pretending that I wouldn't be affected as I'm in fact a very overemotional person - but I would grieve and then move on and heal, and the time spent on that would be but a tiny fraction of my lifespan. And over time I would get used to it, become a lone wolf, and not get attached to mortals as much. That sounds cynical, I know... it kinda is... but it's how I feel :]

Edited by Orlageddon

Yes, IF...

... my body stays at least as healthy as it is now,

... my brain keeps working at least as well as it does now,

... and I still had the possibility to end my life if I wanted to.

I would like it because

... I want to know answers to archeological questions we haven't found yet (e.g. pyramid stuff),

... I want to travel to Mars,

... I want to see Star Trek become reality,

... I want to see which surprising things will happen that I can't even think of now.

And I would like to have the chance of trying more than just one way of life. For example, I will probably never have children. I'll be too old (biologically) before I feel old enough (mentally), among other reasons. But if my body didn't get older, I could still have children in twenty years. Or in two hundred years. I could just do everything I ever wanted to do, and if it turned out to be wrong, I could try something else later.

(And I wouldn't have to worry what would happen to my dragons if I died suddenly. The downside of this is of course that I might live to see the end of DC.)

NO. One life time is quite enough.

I might feel different later, but at the moment, I'm terrified of death. I can't seem to make myself believe in an afterlife or anything of the sort, and oblivion is positively the worst thing that could happen. On top of that, I'm prone to wasting time, and I fear I've already thrown a good chunk of my life out the window, with no way to get it back. But if I had unlimited time, I could easily make up for that without any regrets later...

Yeah this is why I'd pretty much go for immortality no matter what too

Like I've had more success at believing that there's probably at least SOMETHING after death as of late but even the possibility of oblivion is super scary

Like I tried to imagine what that kind of deep nothingness would be like once and that triggered my first existential crisis and made me have a panic attack in the process

I cried for almost two straight days ("almost" because I cried myself to sleep, woke up, and started crying again) c'':

Edited by Pika_Oi

I would choose to if I could end it when I wanted to. I am extremely curious about what the future holds, and it often saddens me that I will never know. I am a knowledge-seeker, above all else, and I would love to be able to keep learning for millenia.

I wouldn't mind becoming an immortal, however it'd be a sad and lonely existence. Sure, you'd always try to meet people, but it'd be painful to get close to them, knowing that they are bound by the laws of time and nature unlike I would be. To see them grow old and leave unlike me, would eat away me after a while. It'd also be scary to see how the world would change over the eons. How long would the human race last? Would we destroy ourselves or would something come to unify us, but we'd be unable to stop it? A sickness? a natural disaster? What species would claim dominance of the world then? Would the world return to a natural state or would the scars that mankind inflicted on the world be too much for it to recover from?

That may have been a bit too deep. ^^; I guess the more positive way to look at it would be to know that I could travel the world and learn about various cultures and various centuries, not to mention all of the species I could learn about and discover. The untamed beauty of the wilderness that few others have dared to see due to their mortality?

Living forever? No. Living for an exceptionally long time that is physically impossible for normal humans that I can dictate when I die? Sure why not. Living forever sounds boring, and who knows what would happen to my sanity after a few billion years? I would also hope that I would be unable to be harmed or restricted by laws and other such things. I wouldn't want to be able to alter too many people's lives either. If I could just live as a physical ghost doing what ever I wanted that would be awesome. I would learn and see everything I ever wanted to and even more during that time. I would love to see the future of mankind but I doubt I would ever be satisfied with what I see so I'd only try to focus on gaining knowledge, otherwise I'd probably be stuck shouting at events unfolding as if viewing a stupid horror movie. Whenever I decided I was done living I'm pretty sure I'd throw myself into a black hole. I'm pretty sure I would die, but if I didn't, then hey I at least experienced something no one ever had before. xd.png Oh, and before that I'd probably spend my time seriously looking for faeries BECAUSE NO ONE CAN TELL ME OTHERWISE MWUAHAHAHA!

Wait... you mean we don't live forever already? Nobody told me this!

In all seriousness, I voted yes. If it meant that my mind wouldn't dull or my body wouldn't age, I'd deal with the state it's in now for immortality. Invulnerability would likely be an essential thing to go along with it, just in case somebody decides it's a good idea to stake me. What would it take to upgrade to a premium "live forever" package? I do love a good bargain.

Wait... you mean we don't live forever already? Nobody told me this!

In all seriousness, I voted yes. If it meant that my mind wouldn't dull or my body wouldn't age, I'd deal with the state it's in now for immortality. Invulnerability would likely be an essential thing to go along with it, just in case somebody decides it's a good idea to stake me. What would it take to upgrade to a premium "live forever" package? I do love a good bargain.

As a life form we are already semi-immortal. laugh.gif

I think the next step is to prevent lifes from lossing their experiences when they die, to find a way to pass the knowledges down losslessly. rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't mind becoming an immortal, however it'd be a sad and lonely existence. Sure, you'd always try to meet people, but it'd be painful to get close to them, knowing that they are bound by the laws of time and nature unlike I would be. To see them grow old and leave unlike me, would eat away me after a while. It'd also be scary to see how the world would change over the eons. How long would the human race last? Would we destroy ourselves or would something come to unify us, but we'd be unable to stop it? A sickness? a natural disaster? What species would claim dominance of the world then? Would the world return to a natural state or would the scars that mankind inflicted on the world be too much for it to recover from?

To me those all sound like benefits to immortality!

But then again in my social circle I'm known for not being able to form emotional attachments with pretty much anyone. Loneliness has never been an issue.

I would love the opportunity to meet generation after generation of people, experience the fall of humanity and see life after life get snuffed out while I simply go right on ahead. I would use the time given to become as capable and influential as possible, until I myself am pulling most of the strings.

Immortality to me would be a blessing. It would be the opening of every door there is, because with enough time anything is possible.

To me those all sound like benefits to immortality!

But then again in my social circle I'm known for not being able to form emotional attachments with pretty much anyone. Loneliness has never been an issue.

I would love the opportunity to meet generation after generation of people, experience the fall of humanity and see life after life get snuffed out while I simply go right on ahead. I would use the time given to become as capable and influential as possible, until I myself am pulling most of the strings.

Immortality to me would be a blessing. It would be the opening of every door there is, because with enough time anything is possible.

That's very true. And it would be very interesting to see how the world would change and evolve. happy.gif

I said yes because there are certain things I hope I could see. The bad thing is watching everyone you ever cared about dying and leaving you alone. But hey....most of the people that have cared about me are gone already.....

I would 100% want to live forever. Because, I mean, technology, bro! It would be worth seeing humankind invent flying cars, warp drives, robot servants, exosuits (those might already exist as prototypes, but I'm thinking Iron Man here), the whole shebang. I would love it, especially because I could be the eternally handsome male model and make phat loot forever and be a multimillionaire.

No, definitely not. Immortality is a curse, torture.. life is precious only because we have death to remind us to cherish every moment.

I will be able to waste my time if that is the case. No, I won't choose to live forever. The limited time is always there to remind me that it is precious and to take every moment in and appreciate it.

Although on the other hand, it is quite tempting. I could finally have time to do all those stuff that I don't get to do. There's always something new to do.

Perhaps a compromise is that an extended life span not forever- 500 years perhaps.

I would like to see a world where humans are extint.A place where the world can regenerate itself after the thousands of years with humanity.It would be cool to see all environments regenerated.But, I would like to be able to end it when I want, because being alone too much would probably make me go nuts.

No thank you, I can not imagine saving enough money for that kind of retirement.

No thank you, I can not imagine saving enough money for that kind of retirement.

Ahaha, nice one. however, if I had to worry about that:

1. Work hard. 2. Buy plenty of land. 3. Rent it out. 4. ??? 5. Profit.