AngelKitty

If you could live forever...

Would You Want To Live Forever?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Searched, didn't find any threads like this, so here we go.

If you could be immortal, would you want to be? Why or why not? Assume that you'd remain in the body at the biological age you are now, unless you want something else (like being digitally transferred into a robot or something cray like that).

Personally, I would like it, as long as I could choose to end it if I decided to. Aside from, y'know, liking living, I'm curious about the future and sad that I can't be here to see it - I want to see how the world progresses, what advances humanity makes, how long it takes us, and what we do with it.

So what about you? Discuss. :3

I don't think I could take watching everyone I love die.

Though it would be interesting to see the end or how things progress.

The only way I would want to live forever is if I could spend it freely exploring the Universe as I saw fit, free from the bounds of a human form and the restrictions of technology. I would desire the ability to observe the wonders I have yet to see or understand until my thirst for knowledge is sated. I want to witness the births and deaths of stars, to be able to watch in awestruck wonder as early planets develop and leave their violent beginnings as they blossom into lonely cradles of life...

Don't get me wrong, I do not desire powers similar to those of a deity. I have no desire to interfere with others; I simply want to watch. This world is too sad and restrictive to ever want to live eternally in it, unable to ever see the wonders our human eyes and technology are too weak to see from our mote of earth in the unfathomable enormity of space.

I'd probably spend ten trillion years finding out how to "hack the universe", then I'd go around making a multiverse, I'd become some sort of all-powerful-universe-creating God. Basically I'd make a giant RP out of the universe, sometimes taking part in it, or sometimes influencing the events of a particular universe. I'd destroy some, make others and do all sorts of random crap. And as for the ones I loved dying, so long as I remembered them, I could easily create them again.

(Basically I would become a god by hacking my way to power)

Main parts of the Multiverse I'd create:

Star Wars: multiple universes of what ifs and the main Star Wars line (I could pop in at any time and in multiple times as I saw fit)

Transformers: this should be fun!

Jurassic park: weeeeeeeeee ...

Edited by Mtntopview

Only if my kid wanted to also, and only if I can be healthier in body.

Nope. Life is too long as it is already.

Never... It is bad enough to see all the older people you like die. Imagine how bad it will be if you have to bury your children grandchildren ect. also. No One you know will life as long as you do. And ifen when they are living forever also than they would have friends and family die. Only way out of this would be making ALL people immortal.

Can you imagine the Chaos that would follow? We are over 8 billion people now. If those don't die and in fakt get children we would have soon over 18 billion people to feed. And how would we do that? We can't even live with 8 billion people without them living in hardship and starving.

I also wouldn't like to see the new wars and the steady growing misery and injustice in the world. There are no positive things in living longer when you have no way to help the people. And one human alone can do that much. No matter how long he lives.

Provided that my mind would persist to function decently, I certainly would like to live indefinitely longer than I likely will. Preferably I would not be alone at it, though.

While I am in no hurry to die, I don't think I'd like to live forever. Not only would it suck to out live your family, but you may eventually out live humanity, or the universe itself...

Sure, why not. Provided I'm invulnerable as well as immortal, so that I don't end up mangled but unable to die. That'd suck.

I don't want to live forever, it would get ridiculously boring and if I were the only immortal I'd have to watch any person worth knowing die. Also at some point the universe might end and id go insane from skullcrushing boredom.

Sure. Life is interesting, and there are so many places I want to see and things I want to do that I don't think I have time for in this mortal body. Plus, I really, really want to see the future, which I imagine to be very Star Trekky. tongue.gif

However, I'm not interested if the people I love can't be immortal, too.

Oh yes, I want to see the future! I guess outliving my friends and family would be sad, but I'd probably get used to it after a few hundred years tongue.gif

Living forever I'd see as a curse, to see my loved ones grow old and die while I endure would be far to hard for me. Plus I'm a helpless romantic and know that I would fall in love either only once (and then be sad when they are gone) or more than once and just inflict torture on myself.

Have a longer lifespan? Yes. Live forever? No.

Can't explain why exactly, but I don't think it requires much thinking to understand why.

Yes absolutely yes. Zero chance of oblivion, plenty of time to see the whole universe? Perfect.

I would definitely want to make my SO immortal as well, though... I'm not sure if she would go for it or not? :N

As far as aging indefinitely and/or not having a healing factor... I'll take anything you can throw at me over any chance of oblivion. Bring it. :B

Edited by Pika_Oi

Hahaha.

Hahahahaha.

Hahahahahahhahaa.

God no.

I come from a mother who is set on offing herself if I, my aunt, or my sister, die. After the rest of my family goes, I'll probably kill myself. v(`_`)v Just kind of always been a fact of life for me. Let the new generations explore and live through the new times, I don't need to see it if it means outliving my family.

Um, no. As others have said - I would not wish to watch the people I love die. Added to which immortality =/= eternal youth. And, lets face it, no one would want to continue ageing indefinately.

Added to which immortality =/= eternal youth. And, lets face it, no one would want to continue ageing indefinately.

The opening post says: "Assume that you'd remain in the body at the biological age you are now." wink.gif

Why is everyone assuming that only one person (they) would get to live forever, and not their loved ones, too?

Why is everyone assuming that only one person (they) would get to live forever, and not their loved ones, too?

Because the title says "you" and not "everyone" lawl. If everyone in my family could live forever, it would pretty much just be a constant contest to see who gives in and commits suicide first.

If I could end it when I decide, sure.

If I HAD to live forever, nope.

I'd see humanity out to the end.

If the question was could I restart my life when I die, then maybe. But I would not want to live forever. Life is too tiring as it is. I don't want to be forced to watch or be part of all the gruesome events that may occur after my death.

Yes, even knowing it eventually would, in all likelihood, be a cold and lonely existence. I couldn't pass up a chance to see where all of this ends up going.

I would quite like to live for ever, I want to learn everything their is to learn and experience everything their is to experience.

It's interesting to see two main groups evolving here: those who couldn't bear to outlive their family and those who are too curious about the future not to. I would be in the latter, as I would choose immortality. I've always wished that I could be able to see how the world has progressed in 300 years. I would be sad to see my family die but through my immortality I could keep them alive in my heart and mind (corny, I know tongue.gif). The same goes for my mate; I would probably live alone after they died off. I'm just not a very social person in real life.

I might get bored after a few hundred years and decide to just kill myself, so I definitely need that option. That's why I like the lifespan of the elves from LOTR. They live thousands of years but can still die from various things.

Edited by HollyTheColliegirl