Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Web's flattering certainly softened the haughty demeanour of the spirit. It now fully focussed its attention onto Web, signalling she could go on.

The servant entered the room with a tray of cups and a steaming pot of Khaf. Enough for three cups each. As she heard Web speak, she looked around, slightly confused, to see to whom Web was speaking. When she noticed no-one was there, she put the tray down on the table with slightly more haste than decorum dictated and she left hurriedly, bowing to Pheonix and Web.

---------------------------------

Hanzo helped the Chumyo out of her armour and took it and her sword with all the honours and egards an armour and personal weapon deserved. "I will look after them well, sir." And he set to work. He took out a piece of clean cloth and some oils and started to polish the armour and then the sword, handling them with tenderness and respect. He checked the integrity of the metal and made the leather supple again; and only when he was satisfied the armour and sword were in perfect condition, did he place the regalia.

He needed no tools. It took about half an hour of intense work and Hanzo was completely absorbed by it, enjoying the opportunity to work with special metals and exquisitely forged arms and armour in his hands. When he was finished, he looked at them from a distance and approved. It looked... like the arms and armour of a true and inspired leader. He stood up from his sitting position, carefully wrapped the armour and sword in cloth to carry under his arm and went to find the Chumyo. He refused to think of her by any other name.

[Heehee Web startled the serving maid - that'll go down well.]

Pheonix hid a smirk as Lenco's maid got startled by Web's conversation to apparently-empty air. Guess that one had not seen some of the more esoteric rituals of any Thaumaturge - not that Pheonix would recognize them either, but she did have the edge of Essence.

Plus she had heard the beginning of Web's talk and could guess who/what the Moonshadow was addressing.

----

The spirit having not dismissed her was a good sign - especially as he seemed to want to hear more of the details of her errand. Since Web's focus was on the spirit realm - she seemed unaware of the serving maid's reaction - and possibly was.

"Soon there will be a gathering, called by the current mortal Resident Master, to decide on who will be the next leader of a potentially great army. I do not fault his ambition to be the next leader, however power gained by false means is not true power." Web stated, "I wish advice on how to be sure that all representatives are called to this gathering to ensure a true and fair choice to be made as the final result will determine - not only the greatness of this army - but also the Fate of Creation based on the path the chosen one will take the army along."

She kept details vague - although the spirit may indeed already be aware of the situation - and the fact the upcoming gathering would be on the new Chumyo and the rebuilding of the Seventh.

Web couldn't make promises, but she had a deep suspicion that if this spirit aided in making a strong new Seventh - Yu Tien would appreciate it. How she'd show the appreciation was another matter.

[seems a reasonable assumption for Web to make]

"Advice?" It was the first word the spirit had uttered and its voice sounded melodious and pleasant, like silver bells in a slight breeze. "And what is in it for me?" It raised an elegant finger, stalling Web's answer to that question. "Perhaps if this 'Leader who will change the Fate of Creation' was chosen in this very mansion, I would be inclined to help you."

It was a two-edged sword. On the one hand it would also please Lenco to have the commanders in his own house, maybe making him more malleable for other requests. On the other hand, it would place all the commanders in the direct vicinity of commander Lenco, facilitating any political moves and lobbying he might wish to enact.

Edited by Biologist

Web considered the spirit's words, the question was entirely reasonable and expected - after all no-one liked doing favors for free. That was doubly true for spirits.

"Since the one calling the meeting resides in this place - I do not see why the mansion would not be the venue for such a momentous occasion. It certainly has the capacity to hold such an event." Both statements were true - the one thing she could think of as a potential barrier is Nexus's general dislike of armies within the city. But perhaps if it was spun as an impromptu formal party - the extra guards that accompanied the Field Commanders could be passed off as extra security.

"As for how it would benefit you has a more complex answer. Simply put a strong leader would be able to ensure the prosperity and protection of this household. The founding patron of the army would also owe much to you." Web was basing this on reasonable educated guesses - of course she wasn't sure whether this spirit had a place in Yu Shan, but perhaps that could be the way Yu Tien repaid him. Thus while the army ensures safety of his Creation-bound domain, the divine patron would ensure the continuity of its Spirit Guardian.

---

Pheonix poured some Khaf for herself, while Web continued the bargaining process - it seemed at least, she'd had some success in not being told to stop bothering the being.

Edited by Takhesis

While Hanzo worked, Shaya started pacing the room with Web's speech in hand. It was excellently written and suited her natural style very well. In fact, she pondered, it was somewhat alarming that the Abyssal had her pegged so well after only a week. She made some minor alterations to account for recent changes, but other than that it was good to go. Reading from the paper, Shaya kept repeating the speech until she had it by heart.

"Representatives of the River Council, I stand before you today to discuss the future of the River Provinces. Representatives of the River Council, I stand before you today to discuss the future of the River Provinces. Representatives of the River Council, I stand before you today to discuss the future of the River Provinces."

Shaya was not a diplomat, or even a politician, but she had a forceful presence that could neither be ignore nor denied. The words flowed from her in a natural rhythm, gripping and entrancing those who listened.

-------------------

Mia tossed and turned in her sleep as nightmares haunted her. The Chumyo of Lookshy had called this Council session and there was only one reason he might have. Lookshy was unequivocally the most powerful city-state in the Riverlands and while it took care to maintain a fair and diplomatic front, the truth was that the Council needed it more than it needed the Council. Only twice had Lookshy called upon the Council and both times, the Riverlands had marched to war: first with the invading Realm and then with a Realm-backed Thorns. If the Chumyo was here, now, that meant that war was coming again. Mia had seen war and the once was quite enough. In her nightmare-gripped mind, the Tepet Legions mingled with Cathak and Peleps Legions, while the Icewalker and Haltan warriors wore the uniform of Lookshy. At one side stood the Empress, terrifying in her glory, and at the other the new Bull of the East, even more terrifying still; and between them Creation ran red with blood and the Neverborn laughed as the war left Shadowlands in its wake.

The Khaf was hot and strong, the taste was like a revitalizing slap in the face. It also made Pheonix' stomach growl in protest: strong Khaf on an empty stomach was not appreciated by her body and it whetted her appetite for real food.

--------------------------------

The spirit considered Web's words for a moment, placing its elegant hands in front of its mouth. "You have spoken words that ring with the promise of greatness. It is clear there is much to gain from the coming days for me and my abode. That begs the question of the reciprocating service. What precisely do you want to know?" The spirit had not agreed on anything yet, its political savvy no doubt being influenced by Commander Lenco's presence in its domain.

--------------------------------

Hanzo went to the guest quarters and to the room reserved for the officers, stepping lightly past the sleeping members of the unit. When he heard the voice of the Chumyo rehearsing her speech like a mantra, he hesitated. He was unsure whether she would mind if he interrupted her. After a short moment of indecision, he softly knocked on the door and cleared his throat as he pushed open the door with his shoulder, his arms laden with the Chumyo's sword and armour.

Edited by Biologist

[i wonder if Shaya is more alarmed than pleased at the speech, considering how well and fast Web got to know her...? Or is the fact that the speech is actually helpful quelling the 'Abyssal-not-right' instinct?]

"My precise request is this: Your aid in ensuring that the summons to the meeting go to all section heads to ensure that all involved have a chance to participate in the selection - whether via candidacy or just voting. Who is to say if the one that would normally be overlooked in general paperwork would not be the strong and wise leader the army requires?"

Web replied to the spirit, relying on honesty and banking on the fact that an army would often require a different guiding hand to a bureaucracy to be effective - which any intelligent being would realize. It would be a rare spirit that didn't have that knowledge - and the one before her didn't seem to be ignorant in such matters.

----

That certainly hit the spot. Pheonix thought about the Khaf as it gave her its reknowned revitalizing boost to the senses. Then, of course, the side effect of it hitting an empty stomach kicked in. Now I'm even more hungry than I was before...

Glancing at the refreshments again, Pheonix selected what she thought she could identify as fancy small cut sandwiches. At least, those could be considered a kind of real food.

((I think the speech will help, because it shows that Web and Shaya are on the same page and that Web is contributing in a positive way.))

Taking her equipment back from Hanzo, Shaya ran her fingers across the firebird and sunburst on her breastplate and the knotted tassels on sword. They look good there, she thought and for a moment she felt the need to keep them. She was the one resurrection the Seventh Legion, after all, so why shouldn't she be the one to lead it? And it wasn't unthinkable that any new Chumyo would consider her a threat to his power and try to eliminate her. Perhaps she should...

She shook her head. That was the pitfall, wasn't it. The hard part wasn't gaining power of even keeping it; the hard part was giving it up. She had agreed to give up the position to whomever the Field Commanders chose and that's exactly what she would do.

"Thank you, Hanzo, fine work. Now, go get some sleep."

The spirit mulled it over, weighing the pros and cons and the possibility of a trap, and found it satisfactory. "I will aid you, necromancer. For your words have the air of fairness and truth. Hear me and listen closely. If the mortal whose name is Lenco does not play fair and all else fails to reign him in, just mention the phrase 'Black Heron at the edge of the pool of Wisdom' and he will fall in line. The rest is up to you, black knight." With that, the majestic spirit gestured for Web that she was dismissed and glided back out of the room.

-------------------------

Hanzo saluted. "If it is permitted, I would rather take a shower and wash myself and my clothes. Maybe you should do the same. The showers are as good a place for rehearsal as any." He shrugged apologetically and motioned to Shaya's ripped and blood-stained silk tunic. "I can repair that, if you would like."

"I thank you for your aid and time." Web said and bowed her head in respect again as the Spirit dismissed her and left. She returned her senses to the normal realm, where she could see Pheonix partaking of some of the refreshments with a steaming pot of Khaf next to her.

She hadn't noticed the passing of time while she was in the spirit realm, but that was due to the concentration on her self-assigned task within the boundaries of the mission.

Pheonix glanced over at Melissa/Web as stirring indicted her return as well as the parting phrase.

"Successful?"

"I believe so, I obtained a fail-safe to use should things go pear-shaped." Melissa replied, "Any events?"

"A serving maid thinks you're mad talking to, what she perceives as, thin air."

[Well, if Lenco was waiting on people they'd probably arrive about now. And if they were already in his office area, he'd probably be summoning a maid to serve 'victory' drinks.]

The sound of an approaching horse outside stopped the two women in their conversation. A hushed welcome and an unusually soft closing of the front door, was followed by sounds of conversation coming from the office of the Commander a few minutes later. It seemed whatever guest had arrived had been led straight into the office of Lenco, bypassing the antechamber altogether.

Since Melissa was the stealthier of the two; she soft footed it to the doors Lenco had previously retreated through to eavesdrop on the conversation within.

She paused next to Pheonix, and quietly said,

"Keep talking about small things - like compliment the food or something. At least it would seem like we're still relaxing."

Pheonix nodded and as Melissa continued on her path, Pheonix poured her second cup of Khaf.

"This Khaf really hits the right spot. Just the right kick followed by the rich aftertaste on expects from a quality blend."

Shaya looked at Hanzo for a while, trying to figure out if he was pulling her leg or not. When she saw that he wasn't, she replied: "Yes, Hanzo, you are free to take a shower. When I say 'go to bed', that means I have no further assignments for you and I would like you to get some rest. However, you are free to pursue those things that accompany your bedtime routine, including, but not limited to, brushing your teeth, putting on your pyjamas, doing some reading, having a wank and even taking a shower. As for my clothes: I'll have someone clean them and I would indeed appreciate it if you repaired them after you wake. Now off you go." There was mirth in her voice to soften the words, as she was just having a bit of fun.

He's very literal-minded, she thought to herself as Hanzo walked off. Then she returned to her speech - the shower could wait.

Hanzo saluted again "Yes, sir." And he walked away. He quickly left the sleeping quarters and went to the shower room for... (He hesitated a moment) for officers, he decided finally. He quickly shed his uniform and let the warm water wash away the coldness of the Underworld, relaxing muscles he hadn't know he'd tensed at long last. Sleep could wait a while longer...

-----------------------------

Lenco welcomed the newcomer. "What took you so long? Never mind. I need you to send messengers to the commanders of this list with this priority." There was a rustle of papers and a nervous cough. Another voice answered. "Yes sir. But if I may speak freely... I cannot send this many messengers. Not in one day at least." Lenco answered: "Then it will take longer. Now make haste. This is the message..."

((I was thinking of letting the emblem of the Chumyo have a one time magical effect (something Hanzo isn't aware of, naturally, for he didn't consciously put it in)... Something along the lines of the negation of one otherwise lethal blow, if it is recieved in pursuit of the goals of the unconcquered sun / defense of creation. After that, the symbol cracks. It can be repaired, but looses its power. What do you think of that? Useable when appropriate smile.gif ))

[sounds good to me.]

Melissa/Web frowned as she listened in - sounded like Lenco was starting without them. How rude - especially as they were meant to assist.

She looked at Pheonix, catching her eye and indicated the door with her thumb, while mouthing the words:

"Time to make an entrance......"

Pheonix grinned, now that was more her style than the patient waiting. Besides there was only so much innocuous small talk she could make convincing. She tilted her head to ask Web to move to one side - and after Web had done so, marched up to the door and...... knocked smartly on it.

She was still an officer and didn't just barge in - well, not unless there was an attack or some other emergency.

Not what Web expected, but then again - the knock could be mistaken for a servant requesting entry. She schooled her expression and moved to stand nearer to the gap between door and frame - to make sure there was no hurried stuffing away of papers - or other signs of furtiveness from within.

The conversation in the room stopped abruptly when Pheonix knocked. She heard resolute steps approach the door and the commander opened it personally. "Yes?" He said irritated. "I have no need for your aid as of yet. When I need you, I will call on you."

The fact that commander Lenco opened the door told Web that he was not willing to be overtly antagonistic. Probably because he had to deal with his peers later and any childishness wouldn't sit well with them.

[Hmmm - wonder how the other person will react if it is made known there's another that could assist in the message sending....?]

Pheonix saluted the Commander when he opened the door,

"I wish to report that the Thaumaturge has completed her meditations and is ready to assist in any mystical methods."

Then she added, "I also wish to complement you on your choice of Khaf sourcing - it is a most excellent blend that has been served." The last was added to give Web a chance to observe Lenco's attitude in more detail - as well as attempting to flatter him.

Web didn't really need the extra time to observe, she was pretty good in reading people in short time. However it did help in the fact that the other inside the office could hear the report and bought time for that one to request the extra hand in dealing with the messages.

Of course, Lenco could still say no - but it would raise questions which he may not like answering. Or couldn't afford to.

[Hmmm - wonder how the other person will react if it is made known there's another that could assist in the message sending....?]

((I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, but I wanted to point out that Thaumaturges can't actually cast Sorcery Spells. They do a sort of hedge-magic that is very versatile, but also much less powerful than Sorcery. So 'Melissa' could do an enhancement effect to make the Infallible Messenger quicker, word the message in a way that would be auspiciousness to its delivery or replenish the Caster's essence slightly easier (i.e. one extra per hour).

I'm interested in that written assignment he gave to the messenger btw. I'm sure we'll see 'come with haste!' to his friends and 'take your time' to his enemies, but I'm wondering if he is also sending out 'usurper trying to claim Chumyo position - bring your elite troops to arrest her' to his closest buddies.... Could spell major trouble for us down the road.

@ Biologist regarding the Firebird insignia - since a Firebird is essentially a pheonix, I think a one-time death-avoiding effect is very cool.))

[Replenishing Essence would still be helpful to the messenger - it would at least extend the time before exhaustion and needing to rest. So perhaps he'd be able to cast one more - which would mean he'd be working faster than if he went solo - which would be - sort of - what Lenco wanted originally.]

[Replenishing Essence would still be helpful to the messenger - it would at least extend the time before exhaustion and needing to rest. So perhaps he'd be able to cast one more - which would mean he'd be working faster than if he went solo - which would be - sort of - what Lenco wanted originally.]

((Absolutely. Also, I'm wondering - surely in a city the size of Nexus the 'Messenger Service' includes more than one caster. So why isn't Lenco hiring more of them to get all the messages out in a day?))

((Absolutely. Also, I'm wondering - surely in a city the size of Nexus the 'Messenger Service' includes more than one caster. So why isn't Lenco hiring more of them to get all the messages out in a day?))

[bribe limits?]

[bribe limits?]

((Or he's covering for himself in case some of the Field Commanders get the message 'too late' to make the meeting. After all, he wants to be Chumyo so it's in his best interests if his friends arrive in time and the others too late.)

[That's true too - and as promised a cut scene, and an interesting plot twist... if the hint is not too subtle to spot.]

Silent Falling Tree stared down at the tangled weave that made up the Loom of Fate trying to locate any hint as to how an Abyssal got paperwork into the Celestial City.

He glanced at the odd paper again - hoping for some insight into this riddle. Seeing none in the words, his attention went back to the Loom. Realizing that his eyes may not be enough, Silent Falling Tree called on a Pattern Spider.

Pattern Spiders were creatures of the Loom, they kept the threads from becoming too knotted and repaired the majority of damage caused to the fabric by excessive Essence use. That ability proved invaluable during the troubles at the end of the First Age. They were also very good at finding specific bits of information in the weave.

"Find and report on the thread that represents the one that made this." He presented the paper to the Spider - which took it in its fangs and scuttled down the walls onto the Loom. Silent Falling Tree tried to keep track of it - but failed due to the sheer size of the Loom and the number of spiders running along the threads.

The spider returned, and gesturing with its legs indicated that the thread in question faded out about 10 months ago, reappeared 2 months ago and was different in texture. It wasn't something that the spider had encountered before - so looked confused at that part.

It was already near dawn when Milo, the young soldier standing watch outside the Bronze Tigers' guest barracks, heard the door behind him creak open. He looked to see if their guests? visitors? needed anything and his eyes widened. There stood the Chumyo of Lookshy wrapped in what looked like a bed blanket, carrying a white bundle of silk which she handed to him. "Could you make sure this is cleaned and sent to my soldiers' barrack, courtesy of Chief Engineer Hanzo. Thank you." Then she padded past him barefooted, hair still in a topknot and in an undeniably regal posture despite being wrapped in a plain woollen cloth. He looked after her, continuing to stare long after she had entered the officers' showers, and then shook out the white silk; it were a loose tunic and breeches, presumably worn under armour and badly ripped. Milo stared a while longer, then shook his head and preceded to make his way to the washing room.

((Time for that shower.))