Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Risa shrugged lightly. "I value flexibility and adaptability, so if under these circumstances you prefer to use a weapon, that's good enough for me."

"Besides," she added with a fierce grin "I don't want any complaints that I had an advantage after I beat you."

The Wood Exalt took up a fighting stance and tapped the butt of her weapon on the ground twice, signalling that she was ready. Pheonix was free to decide weapons or no weapons for herself, but she would have to decide now.

((I looked at Risa's stats again and they might actually be very near or even matched in skill: Dex 4, Melee 4, Spec Lances 1 (I'd say that a fighting spear counts as a lance).))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

[i think this will be a very interesting spar. Though Pheonix would be using Dex+Martial Arts rather than Dex+Melee. So Pheonix would be at 5+4 dice compared to Risa's 4+4+1. So matched on Dice Pool without any Essence or stunt boosting.... so shall we let the Dice decide the result? After some battle texts of course for the stunts. Still think the Solar pair should catch them 'sparring' - Shaya may get the wrong impression - after all Pheonix is the one known for starting fights. xd.png]

Pheonix smiled at Risa, she certainly seemed confident that she'd win. This would be fun. And she hadn't had a chance recently to spar against an equal - so she hoped Risa wouldn't disappoint.

"More interesting this way." Pheonix said, "And more of a show." Confidence was not a problem for Pheonix, reach weapon versus no weapon - both in their own element - so to speak. Should be a good display for the curious on-lookers.

Now Pheonix mentally switched to 'spar mode', pretty much blocking out anything that wasn't related to the fight. Risa's reach would be the main issue - but Pheonix was confident that she would be fast enough to dodge and get under the Wood Exalt's guard. Long handled weapons had a disadvantage against close opponents - so all Pheonix needed to do was get that close without getting hit.

"Shall we?" She asked, her senses alert for any giveaway movement in Risa, at the first sign of one - Pheonix would be ready to go.

Risa gave Pheonix a sharp salute, then launched into attack. Actually, launched was the wrong word; she flowed. True to her Aspect, the Wood Exalt moved like a reed, dodging and attacking in almost the same movement. The staff's head jabbed forward in a series of short thrusts, intended to test Pheonix's speed and reflexes. The crowd cheered at Risa's skilful opening salvo.

((Offense being equal, perhaps their defense can be a tiebreaker? Risa had Dodge 3, with a -2 if she is wearing her Armour (though I'm not sure she would be wearing it in a training match).))

--------------

Shaya closed her eyes for a moment as she savoured her first cup of khaf in a week. She had a small supply in her backpack, but in the Underworld none of them had wanted to risk lighting a fire big enough to brew even one cup. Even as the liquid was still on her tongue, she could feel her energy renew. It was temporary, she knew, but she did appreciate the little pick-me-up. Captain Dace sat in a chair opposite from her, with a small table between them.

"So Captain, tell me about yourself" Shaya said, just as Dace started with "I'd be interested in hearing how you got here, Captain." For a moment, both of them stopped talking and looked at each other; a slow grin appeared on Dace's face while Shaya gave a short laugh.

Well, at least that broke the ice, Shaya thought to herself. She was just about to ask him for his story again - you first, Captain - when a short cheer rose from outside the window. Shaya looked up briefly, but the other Solar remained comfortably seated so she doubted there was a problem.

[Would be a good tiebreak - and I agree about Risa's armour - unless she hadn't changed from the earlier alarm raising... so your call on that issue. Pheonix will be having fun either way I suspect... though as usual she'd want to win the spar.]

Just like Risa's flowing Wood style, Pheonix's movement mimicked her element - in short explosive bursts of speed as required to avoid the tip of Risa's staff. Pheonix knew this opening exchange was just a test for her - one that she was determined to pass with flying colours.

With each spurt, Pheonix slowly started closing the gap between them. It was slow as Pheonix chose a more circuitous and changing path for her bursts of speed - simply as taking the direct, straight ahead, route would be too predictable and would certainly result in a staff poke to the chest. Not going to make it that easy for you. Plus the longer it lasted - the better for both. Pheonix had a habit of forming opinions based on people's battle style - the better the fighter, the more respect she'd show them.

She did keep her eyes on Risa's location and that of her weapon as she moved - the flowing adaptable nature of the Wood Aspect would be the main problem in this spar - more so than the reach of her weapon.

---

Dace was amused by how the two of them had the same question at the same time. He recognized the cheers as being from some of the ranks watching an interesting or unusual sparring pair. As such he didn't feel the need to move from his office chair, though he could guess at one of the combatants.

"Sounds like Risa found someone to spar with." Dace commented - somewhat offhandedly, certain that Shaya had seen Risa's earlier expression.

"We both have questions that we want to ask - so how about taking turns with them?" He didn't seem at all concerned about Risa's sparring partner - Risa had enough restraint not to seriously injure any of the company members.

[Though Risa's not facing a company member tongue.gif So who knows about the restraint?]

Risa raised an eyebrow in deference to Pheonix' speed and agility. Not half bad. Committing to the fight in earnest now, she moved to a series of spinning thrusts and manoeuvres. Even if she did not catch the Fire Exalt mid-blow, the speed and ferocity of the sweeps would force her to keep her distance for now (or so Risa hoped). Pheonix' main advantage, assuming she wouldn't be able to force a close-range combat and make the staff ineffective, would be that the staff required more energy to control; a prolonged fight would possibly see Risa tired and give Pheonix the upperhand. So the Wood Exalt was determined not to let that happen: she intended to keep Pheonix at range and on the defensive, then press her attacks until one hit home.

((It just occurs to me that Stamina could also factor into it. Risa had Sta 3. And I think Risa probably took off her armour at some point between settling in the PCs, asking Dace what the heck he's doing and making her rounds of the compound.))

-----------------

Reassure by Dace's explanation, Shaya settled back in. While Lookshyan soldiers didn't cheer during training matches, any Exalted sparring bout drew in a crowd. For a moment she wanted to get up and see the training in action; it would be an enjoyable moment of simplicity compared to the road behind and the road ahead; but that wasn't why she was here.

"Very well, Captain. I'll take first turn." She winked in a disarming gesture to soften the bold move of controlling the conversation like that.

Leaning forward so she would look the Captain straight in his eyes, she asked her first question: "Did the Unconquered Sun speak when he Exalted you? Do you think He gave you a task? Would that even matter to you?" Technically, that were three questions, but they all led back to the same thing; was Dace a Champion of the Sun, or just a Mercenary with Exalted powers at his disposal? The answer would make all the difference to Shaya's plans.

[Makes sense - I was thinking of what armour - if any - Pheonix would be using. As a martial artist she probably wouldn't be wearing any - but as an Officer of Lookshy she would be... so most likely none as she was joining mortals in training. Though Discrete Essence Bracers could be valid.... though without Essence they won't make a difference. And Stamina would certainly become an issue if the fight goes on for too long - training spars aren't that tiring for seasoned fighters.]

Pheonix's plan to close distance did indeed stall with Risa's spinning staff attacks, the movement of sweeps being harder to predict than thrusts - plus they did cover a greater arc than a straight jab. The bursts of speed were really needed to dodge the staff now - looked like Risa decided not to toy around with Pheonix after the first test.

Keeping on the move was now the main rule for Pheonix - trying to make it hard for Risa to make a decisive strike - and of course keeping her own eyes open for an opening in Risa's offensive guard to dart in to gain access for her own attacks.

---

In a rare moment of humour, Dace quipped,

"Technically I went first by making the suggestion." Then he turned serious as the question of his Exaltation was asked - expected and blunt.

"I was Exalted in the middle of a battle - one with my old mercenary company. The battle was over a territorial dispute. I had thought that battle was to be my last - my health wasn't in the best condition at the time, as well as my age catching up to me. Though the Unconquered Sun didn't speak directly to me - I do believe He had something in mind when He chose to Exalt me."

Dace paused - knowing that 'territorial dispute' had been between Lookshy and Great Forks - and he was talking to a Lookshy Solar.

"I'd like to believe that He was giving me a chance to make something of myself - something that wasn't just a sword for hire.... I formed the Bronze Tigers on an ideal - that of Unification. It doesn't matter to me about the background of recruits - as long as they work hard in training and they don't cause the company to gain a bad name. I hoped that - even though its small scale - my company could be an example to the fractured Threshold - that differences can be put aside and something greater can be made from working together."

[i think that pretty much says his Motivation...]

Giving Shaya time to take in his words, Dace considered his question. Since he gave the basics of his Exaltation - what about Shaya's? He may as well start at the beginning.

"What about your tale? Your Exaltation moment."

((Does Lookshy even use Discrete Essence Armor? Otherwise the 2-dot Artifact Breastplate might work, since it gives neither Fatigue nor Mobility penalty. Btw I am in favor of the PCs finding new items at some point and Discrete Essence Armor could definitely be found then.))

Risa frowned and grinned at Pheonix' skill. It was good to meet an equal opponent in a sparring match, even if she had also wanted to wipe the floor with the Fire Exalt before. Now that both of them were committed to the fight, it was time to see if she could catch the Lookshyan officer off guard. Making a feint, she brought the staff up sharply mid-arch, trying to catch Pheonix mid-dodge, before the Fire Exalt had a chance to adjust.

---------------------

Shaya laughed at Dace's joke, though she sobered up when he started to tell his story. The story of the anathema mercenary who slaughtered Lookshyan men was well known to her, but she had never considered his side of it. She was quiet for a while when he finished, then nodded to indicate that she had heard and understood.

As for her own story - she told him about the village, about the Abyssal, about nearly dying and about the Unconquered Sun lifting her up. But it was what came next, that had truely shaped her life.

"He did speak to me then: Protect Creation. Defend those that need defending. He did more than just Exalt me, he remade me in a - a -" she faltered as she sought the right words to represent the profound connection she felt to the Sun "- into an extension of Himself; a weapon, a shield for His purpose. Even in Underworld, I could feel his power course through me; His Mandate still with me."

She stopped at this, hoping that the Nexian mercenary didn't think she was some sort of religious fanatic.

((Have no clue whether Lookshy uses it - so the breastplate alternative is the most likely for a martial art officer. And of course - finding new shinies is a must for an RP. And I think Risa is also starting to enjoy herself.... which would both annoy her and be a good thing. And Pheonix needs a wake-up call... at least in terms of not automatically assuming she's the best fighter. So Risa's staff hits a leg due to Pheonix not being fast enough.))

Pheonix was having fun with sparring - it wasn't often that she could go all in. Even if all she had done was dodge so far. It looked like that both Pheonix and Risa had the same sort of thought at the same time - changing the game up slightly. Though Risa implemented the change first with her feint - that did force Pheonix into a very sharp movement to avoid the staff. She did get caught by the blow - her trailing limb wasn't quite fast enough. Which wasn't a 'fatal' blow to end things - but it did mean Pheonix wasn't quite fully balanced on the dodge recovery.

Oops ... Pheonix thought as she attempted to turn the fumble into a controlled tumble roll. Hope she didn't notice that...

---

Dace listened to Shaya's tale - so she was Exalted in battle the same as he was. He could understand Shaya's hesitation with the whole religious aspect of Exaltation - though that wasn't anything to be ashamed of - since the major religion of Creation called Solars demons, it could be a big culture shock.

"I know that feeling. Nexus was invaded by demons a few Calibrations back - and the only thing that stopped the Bronze Tigers breaking like the rest was the knowledge that the Sun was with them." He'd be surprised if Shaya hadn't heard of that incident - which involved a pair of Jade Lions spouting demonic scripture. Though it was her turn to either expand on her answer or ask her next question.

Risa's eyes lit like a cat's spotting an opening. She thrust the staff sharply forward, attempting to catch Pheonix mid-tumble, but halted the movement when it threatened to over-extend her; against a mortal or even a less skilled Exalt, she would have finished the move and won the match, but Pheonix's prowess was already clear to her and over-extending against such an opponent would be too risky. So she relented, for now, and waited for the next opening.

((Being a Wood Exalt, Risa probably favours patience and is willing to wait rather than press if it entails a clear risk. That likely means she guards her defense well, but it could also be a weakness - like Shaya said: taking risks is part of winning.))

------------

Shaya hesitated for a moment - she didn't want to insult Dace by implying he was doing less than he could - but then asked her next question.

"Do you ever feel like you could, or should, do more? The Bronze Tigers are the greatest mercenary company in Nexus by far, but they are still only that - sell swords under the command of a Chosen. Have you never wanted to expand your horizon?"

((True that - the distance she'd kept Pheonix at was most likely the potential cause of over-extension. Time for Fire Exalt to do something rash - at least foolhardy.))

Pheonix noticed the aborted attack, and was relieved that Risa had pulled back from it - it gave her the needed extra recovery time. It looked like that Risa's plan of keeping her at a distance, while effective, had resulted in Risa not being able to make a finishing hit without over-extending her own position.

Pheonix had already reached the limit of her patience with this cat-and-mouse game - with her as the mouse and staff as the cat. Time to switch roles - definitely risky. Especially after the balance-disrupting hit that spoke of Risa's skill.

Lets try to close up that gap... Pheonix was relying on her own speed again as well as some reflexes. Her plan was to dart in a diagonal path towards Risa and use Risa's own weapon as a spring-board to get even closer with a change of direction on the spring. Of course - it relied on Risa to want to keep her at a distance - not really a gamble, but the whole maneuver was still risky.

----

Dace considered the question - did he want to do more? The answer to that on should be obvious.

"Yes - I know I can do more. Building the reputation to do so - that is what takes time and it is frustrating." Dace glanced towards the window to the training area, "The Bronze Tigers have grown considerably since their founding - from a loyal dozen to what you can see outside. The influence of the Immaculates still holds sway - that is the main barrier to any fast moves on my part."

He looked back to Shaya, wondering if she'd view him as a coward or a cautious responsible leader for the slow approach he'd chosen to take.

"I do want to expand my horizons - but I don't want to risk the lives of those who have already put their faith and trust in me. If there was a way to do so with the minimal of risk - then I'd take the chance."

"Which leads to my next question: why take the chance on trusting an Abyssal as a guide to get here?" Dace wasn't being critical, but genuinely curious.

Risa saw the Fire Exalt coming in and swung her staff to block her from closing the distance. She had, however, miscalculated Pheonix's intent, as the Lookshyan officer nimbly leapt up the staff and sideways, bringing her within arm's reach of Risa. Bringing the staff up and about, Risa attempted to catch the Fire Exalt mid-air, so that the momentum of the staff's blow would push her beyond her target and land her on Risa's other side rather than on top of her. The Wood Exalt could only pray that the manoeuvre would work.

((Pivotal moment here. If Risa does succeed, Pheonix will be thrown away and land on the other side of Risa, in a mirror-position to where they started. She'll have an advantage because she would be behind Risa to start, but Risa's next action will be to remedy that of course. But if Risa does not succeed, then Pheonix lands within arm's reach, the staff will be useless and the Martial Artist can take the fight home.))

------------

Shaya initial response to Dace's inquiry came out quite harshly, her tone warning him not to press the issue: "Web has more than proven herself." Then she fell quiet; she hadn't actually answered his question, which was why she had trusted the Moonshadow in the first place, and she certainly hadn't expected herself to defend the Abyssal like that. But a week through hell had forged a bond of sorts, maybe.

She calmed herself and replied to the actual question. "I trusted her because I had to. She offered the quickest route from Lookshy to Nexus and I needed it."

Taking a deep breath she looked the other Solar in the eyes again. I have to tell him sooner or later, might as well be now.

"You see, Lookshy has... Lookshy... -" she took another deep breath "- I wish I could say that Lookshy has fallen to the Realm, but it's not even that. The Empress turned First Age weaponry against the city and it's... gone."

Before the other Solar could respond, she continued.

"I am here because without Lookshy and the Seventh Legion, the River Province is vulnerable to attack. I have summoned the council and for once they will get off their lazy asses and actually contribute to a new Seventh Legion, if I have to personally hit each and every one of them over the head."

Now she fell silent, allowing Dace a chance to respond.

[Hmmm which way to go on that one...... of course, either way Risa's next action would be to counter-act any advantage Pheonix would gain - whether that's turning round or backing off.... difficult choice that. So I'm making a Dex v Dex roll off for speed, most successes wins:Pheonix's roll and Risa's roll @16:40 on list if site updates. Pheonix:4 - Risa:3]

Pheonix had guessed right about Risa's wanting to keep her at a distance, so that part went smoothly. The staff-turned-springboard tactic had caught Risa slightly unawares, but didn't completely flatfoot the Wood Exalt. Pheonix had only a brief warning of the staff's change of direction, a subtle shift in Risa's grip and stance as she made the counter-sweep.

As such Pheonix was able to just avoid the staff - though the breeze of its passing by could be felt - showing how close the counter did come to succeeding. Now Pheonix was in a good spot for her own style of combat. She suspected Risa would back away as soon as she realized where Pheonix was to regain her staff reach advantage, so Pheonix didn't waste time - balanced or not, she started her own offensive.

Pheonix concentrated more on the attacks, rather than her own guard - she was confident that the staff, and therefore Risa, wouldn't be an issue. Whether that was the right call or not, only the spar could answer.

---

Dace took the original outburst in his stride - after all he hadn't meant offence by it and he wasn't about to take offence at it. Though perhaps he was just as surprised as Shaya was about her fast defense of the Abyssal in question.

"First Age weaponry..... you mean the Defense Grid?" It was well known in military history as the weapon system that prevented the Fair Folk invasion succeeding during the period of the Great Contagion. Dace's tone was a combination of disbelief and wonderment as he asked it. The power of that system was immense - even taking into account the inevitable hyperbole of the old stories.

As for the council....

"I'd like to see that.... some council members do need a smack on the head to stop them being unrealistic and pompous."

Grunting as the first of Pheonix's blow hit home, though fortunately not in a 'killing spot', Risa steeled herself and considered options. She could drop the staff and switch to hand-to-hand and, since it would probably catch Pheonix by surprise, she was sure to get in at least one hit, but it wouldn't be fatal and after that Pheonix would have the advantage as unarmed was her style. She could use the staff as a jump-stick to propell herself back into range, but then they'd be right back where they started again. Or.... she could make use of the fact that Pheonix was neglecting her defense.

Sweeping the staff low and to the side, she brought it up in a sharp movement intended to trip Pheonix. If it worked, the Fire Exalt would land flat on her back and Risa could finish it with a blow to the ribs. If it didn't work, Risa's staff would be useless and she'd be open to a 'killing blow' herself. It was risky, but given the alternatives, Risa felt this was her best shot.

((I guess this is make-or-break time for Pheonix and Risa. I'll leave the decision to you. You're free to roll, but I'm also fine with Pheonix winning if you prefer.))

-----------------------------------

Shaya nodded grimly in response to Dace's first question. "Yes, the Realm Defense Grid. She just - she just wiped us off the map." She reached for the khaff and poured herself another cup. She would have preferred something stronger, but getting drunk would have to wait until her work was done. If it ever got done.

[How much alcohol would it take to get a Solar drunk? And I wonder how the gathered group will react to the spar or most importantly Risa? Dice roll of 9 v 9 using same site as before: Pheonix rolls 9 dice to To finish spar 5,2,10,9,2,10,10,4,2 (7 successes)

Risa V'neef rolls 9 dice to To finish spar 2,3,8,8,3,3,5,7,7 (4 successes). Up to you where finisher lands.]

Pheonix's first few blows - although landing - weren't in the right spot for a spar finisher. Although it had forced Risa to make a difficult choice, as evidenced by the brief hesitation that had allowed the first flurry past her guard.

Pheonix had miscalculated one thing - Risa's versatility with the staff. It meant the staff could still be used as a last ditch effort - there would only be time for the one attempt due to their proximity.

The trip attempt was a good idea, but failed to take into account the relative shift in balance of a martial artist mid-flurry. The main weight-bearing moved from back leg to forward leg as the artist committed more fully to the attack. As such the staff didn't connect with Pheonix's weight-bearing leg with the necessary force - the lesser support had taken the brunt of the blow. That meant Pheonix didn't land on her back as Risa planned - though it did unbalance her enough to halt her current flurry as she re-shifted her stance.

The recovery time of the staff was longer than Pheonix's readjustment, which indeed left Risa open for a finishing blow. Pheonix wasn't about to waste the chance - landing a pulled blow to one of the designated 'kill' areas. It may not have been fatal in full combat - but it would certainly have been painful and crippling had Essence been involved.

---

Dace allowed Shaya recovery time from the remembered blow, before asking another question - though it was technically Shaya's turn:

"How can I help?" He knew the River Council could be stubborn and - despite his past history with Lookshy - respected the Seventh for their commitment against the Realm.

Lookshy didn't openly support Solars - but the traditional rules of hospitality did mean that anyone could find some acceptance, on the condition they didn't cause trouble for the city. Which in Dace's opinion, was an entirely reasonable request.

((Vast amounts, probably. But Shaya is determined to find out if they ever get some R&R.))

Pheonix pulled an upward blow to Risa's plexus, in the small area where the ribs dipped down and met. Had the blow been true, the impact would have shot up through Risa's lungs and heart, at the least incapacitating, or possibly even killing her outright. By all interpretation of the rules, the Fire Exalt had just won the match.

Risa's eyes narrowed reflexively in anger and the crowd fell silent. For a moment the Wood Exalt had to fight to suppress the urge innate to every Exalt: to keep going and never back down. But then she relaxed, nodded and smiled. "That was very impressive, Lieutenant." Around them the crowd exhaled too and starting congratulating Pheonix on her victory.

"Thank you for the match", Risa said with all the grace she could find. "It was a good one, even if I had hoped for a different outcome."

------------

"How can you help?" Shaya softly repeated Dace's question before looking up from her khaf again.

"I will persuade the River Council to rebuild the Seventh Legion. They have the resources and the manpower. I can train them; they'll be a unified force within the week. But then... There are other threats rearing their heads; one Deathlord in particular. I cannot give you any details, but this is why Web is with us and believe me when I tell you that he has to be stopped. So after that first week, I have to go again. That will leave a freshly raised Legion in the hands of - who? The River Council? Heaven forbid. The strongest player on the board, perhaps Nexus? I know you are fond of this city, but I would not leave the defence of the Riverlands in their hands if I had any other choice. What I need, is someone who can be trusted to see the bigger picture and do the right thing for all the Riverlands. What I need, is a Solar General: you."

She locked eyes with Dace as she finished her small speech, as if she could physically will him to accept the new position she had in mind for him.

[Lol - that is where the Exalt's innate Resistance becomes a problem, when they want to be drunk.... and is crowd loud enough to reach Dace's office like the initial cheers were?]

Pheonix smiled back at Risa, possibly more easily now than any polite smiles beforehand. She couldn't blame Risa for the moment of fighting her inner instincts - after all she had the same ones. And had the positions been reversed, she'd have needed to do the same.

"I enjoyed the match too, so I also thank you for testing my abilities." Pheonix said to Risa, while wondering how she'd approach the information gathering task she'd been given. "Perhaps you'd be open for a rematch some point in the near future?" That at least was a safer question than some of the others that were in her head.

------

Dace could read Shaya's determination, and he could tell she'd already made her mind up on who she wanted as General.

He nodded and simply said, his mind already going to the logistics of running a large force. He relished the challenge to be honest.

"I'll do it. You count on the Bronze Tigers to be the first company of the reformed Seventh Legion."

Hanzo was working tirelessly. His mind was flooded with ideas, some new, some seemingly from a previous life. He wrote meticulously, spilling no ink and wasting no paper. Weapons emerged, that would be the envy of any fighting force, even First Age armies wouldn't have had this kind of fire power. With an almost maniacal grin he designed firelances, both smaller and more efficient, with the power of Essence canons; Essence conduits and circuitry would be easily made out of Jade and other Earth materials, the source of the Essence fuelling the weapons coming straight from the soldier himself. As mortals had no replenishable source of Essence, he designed efficient body-grafted Essence-converters that siphoned the life force out of the soldiers to fuel their weapons. It would kill them, but slowly enough to make them last for at least a year or maybe two...

Hanzo's blood froze as the realization of what he was doing slowly dawned on him. When he re-read what he had designed, he slowly shook his head in disgust. I *will not* use people like that, he thought vehemently and he carefully and deliberately selected the inhuman designs and fed the papers to the little flame of the oil lamp next to him. He sighed and noticed the small cup of Khaf next to him: cold. He took a sip of the dark liquid anyway and savoured the taste. Then he resolutely started to find an alternative solution to the problem of the power supply of his designs, while Luna stalked the Heavens above...

[Oooops looks like the Twilight may have dabbled in NecroTech in a past life..... not good - and speech will be posted when Shaya sees it.]

While Hanzo was working on his designs, Web and Tinker were planning Shaya's speech for the Council. Together they had made a bullet pointed list of all the salient points that needed to be covered.

Now all that needed to be done was putting those points into a convincing speech. Web considered what she knew of Shaya - since she was the one delivering it - and decided a short to-the-point, but eloquent version would be best.

Web may have preferred a longer, more flowery style of address - but that didn't suit Shaya at all. Matching the style to the speaker was a big part of speech-writing, and a mismatched speaker-speech pair would lose most - if not all - of its impact.

With that in mind, Web committed the final draft of this evening/night to paper. Tinker would proof-read it before Web handed the speech to Shaya. Then any last minute alterations or additions that Shaya would need/suggest could be made to the draft.

Risa was taken aback by the request for a moment, but then smiled and nodded. "Yes, I'd appreciate a re-match. Guess you'll be here for a while, eh? These Council meetings tend to get bogged down. You know -" she added after a brief pause to think things over "- if you want I can talk to the Captain about integrating your unit's training regime with ours while you're here. I think some of my people might benefit from your 'Lookshyan training methods'."

Now that Pheonix had won her, albeit grudging, respect, Risa seemed to have lightened up.

--------------------

If Shaya was relieved that Dace agreed so readily, she didn't show it. Instead, she moved right on to the next piece of business at hand. "Yes, the Bronze Tigers would be an excellent first company. I'm also considering leaving several of my people with the army. Between yours and mine, we should have some fine Officer candidates."

Pouring both of them another cup of khaf, Shaya settled in for a long night of discussing and reviewing soldiers from her own unit and the Bronze Tigers.

--------------------

Tinker had several key pieces of advice for Web, though he let her do most of the speech-writing as he clearly recognized her greater skill. Nevertheless, he interjected information such as: "The Marukani are long-standing allies of Lookshy and their position near the shore and Thorns makes them vulnerable for invasion from either the Empress or the Mask. They'll commit both men and horses", or "The Mask will be eager for any army that can rival the Realm, but his 'ambassador' will not show it for fear of scaring off the others", or "Nexus has more jade than the rest of the Riverlands combined, so we need them to commit if this is to succeed".

Pheonix nodded,

"It is possible that we'll be here for a while. And I think an integrated training system would be a good idea." It would make the formation of the new Seventh at least partially easier if co-operation started at the basic levels. That was, of course, assuming the Council agreed to the funded creation. Either way, it would be good to take part in some regular training again.

"In the meantime, how about we get to know each other a little better?" Pheonix glanced towards the Captain's office, wondering how Shaya was getting along. "Trade stories, that sort of thing?" She guessed that if Dace was in a meeting, he would rather not be disturbed over a small administration item.

-----

Web nodded,

"So we know we have the support of the Marukani and the Mask, even if it isn't open from that quarter. The rest we have to convince...." She figured it would be a tall order - seeing that Shaya wouldn't want help from a Deathlord, even if Thorns' vote tipped the balance in her favor to reach the required majority. Lesser and necessary evil perhaps?

-----

Dace nodded and got down to the 'paperwork' of the task, working out potential Officer material from his own ranks - Risa was an obvious one - as well as some of the original group.

"We'll have to organize a training rota - at least until appropriate facilities for a larger force are found. The Bronze Tiger barracks don't have the capacity to be a full army training ground."

Risa considered Pheonix's proposal, then nodded. They were both working with a Solar superior, after all, and it might be good to see how each of them got there.

"Join me in the Officers' Mess; we'll talk and make a new training schedule for my Captain and your, uhm, Chumyo while we're at it. I've been meaning to ask about that - isn't the Chumyo the High Commander of the Lookshyan military? So how did you end up travelling with her, since you're a Lieutenant?"

((Someone was bound to notice that oddity. Betcha Risa or at least Dace also registered that the 'Chumyo' is wearing Captain's pips, though Dace now knows why.))

------------

Tinker nodded at Web.

"Yes, in a nutshell. The Marukani will have to commit, so no worries there. That gives us a great cavalry, but we need footmen too. Those will have to come from the Hundred Kingdoms and they won't like it - they have all spent their lives hating the other ninety-nine kingdoms, so we'll need some fancy talking to make them see that the real threat is an outside invasion. But -" he grinned as he pulled out a detailed map of the fracture East "- I know that several of them have been ready to make peace with their neighbours for some time now; they just need an excuse to sell it to their people and we can help them there. All of them have alliances with each other, so if we can convince the key players to join, the rest will follow."

Pointing at Kingdoms on the map, Tinker started listing Monarchs, trade-agreements, alliances and military strength, working with Web to identify to Kingdoms they needed to persuade the most. With that done, he moved on.

"Then here, in the far East, we have the Hawkriders of Mount Metagalapa. They are so far East, not to mention caught between Greyfalls and a Lunar Warlord, that they'll be reluctant to commit. However, they are also long-standing allies of Lookshy and if we can get the Hawkriders to commit even one Talon, it will lend great prestige and credibility to this project. So that should, hopefully, have us set on cavalry, soldiers and an aerial unit. Next we need money. For this, we turn to the richest players on the board: Nexus and Great Forks. Both are selfish, greedy and they'll resist, but we could try to play them off each other. Make Nexus believe that if they don't commit, Great Forks will and vice versa. They might not like picking up the bill, but they won't risk being the only major faction without a stake in the new Seventh Legion. And then, lastly, the new army will need equipment. Hanzo is already making designs, but we'll need someone to actually build them. Regular arms and armor won't be a problem; the East is filled with excellent smiths; but there is only one person capable of producing Artifact arms and armor en masse -" Tinker looked Web in the eyes and quietly tapped Thorns on the map "- This one right here. Getting the Capt- Chumyo to agree on letting him in on the new army, might just be our biggest challenge of all. At the very least, we should explore the option of setting up a forge outside of Thorns and having Exalted of our own stationed there to make sure the Mask doesn't outfit us with tainted equipment."

Checking with Web to see if she got all of that, he rolled up the maps.

"I'm thinking it might be a good idea to talk to some of the ambassadors beforehand; get them warmed up to the idea of a Grand Army of the River Province. But that does take away the element of surprise and some of the impact of the Chumyo's speech, which could also work against us. What do you think?"

Giving Web some time to mull on that, Tinker turned to Hanzo.

"Hanzo. Hanzo. Hanzo -" Tinker tried to get the absorbed Twilight's attention "- I have a task for you when you finish with your designs. Two, actually. First: rumour has it a Solar smith lives in Nexus. You need to find out if that is true and, if so, find him. The Chumyo will be much more at ease with a Chosen of the Sun overseeing the Mask's forge. Second: I take it you know what the Chumyo rank insignia looks like? We need to have a set made before the Council Meeting; if our former-Captain wants to persuade people she has the authority to resurrect the Seventh Legion, she needs to look the part. See if you can either find a smith or the metals to make them yourself."

With that done, he turned back to Web to discuss setting up advance meetings or not.

((I know the canon sets Sayn in the South, but he would work excellently here. Even if not Sayn though, Nexus is such a major hub that the odds of finding another smith might be in our favor. Either could be an interesting plot for Hanzo to pursue. I'm also thinking if it might be fun to introduce the legend of Denandsor at some point? Shaya would jump at the opportunity to find a First Age city full of Artifacts and thus separate the Mask from the new army, and exploring Denandsor could make for a great adventure.))

------------

"Yes," Shaya agreed with Dace, "a shared training rota is a good idea. We could ask our Seconds to draw one up; a combined task might help them get over their differences." There was no way for her to know that their respective Lieutenants were already doing just that, of course.

"As for barracks - Nexus doesn't allow an army on its territory, so odds are, General, that you'll have to move out anyway. I'm confident the Marukani would be willing to house us in Celeren and that would give us prime staging-ground against an attack from the Blessed Isle or Thorns, but if the Empress makes her first move from Greyfalls, or if there is a Fair Folk incursion, then Celeren is pretty much at the other end of the map. I'm thinking that Goodharbor, Mishaka, Javasavi or Patna might be good alternatives. Your opinion?"

((Goodharbor is basically across the river from Looksy. Mishaka is halfway between Lookshy and Thorns and some way inland. Map. I'm not sure where Javasavi and Patna are, but they are hinterlands I figure they're pretty close to Lookshy, too. I think Mishaka is the best bet, since it puts some additional distance between the Realm Defense Grid and the new army; if the Empress could hit Lookshy, then Goodbarbor, Javasavi and Patna will all be within range, too. With that in mind, it might be a good idea to move even further inland than Mishaka - perhaps the unnamed place to East of Mishaka? Though the army would greatly benefit from being near a major route instead of a minor one, and I haven't had time to search for a name or description of it in the books yet, so for all we know it's a First Age ruin. Shall I see if I can find something on it, or shall we just make stuff up?))

[We could make stuff up after all First Age ruins can be very interesting- but Mishaka seems a good starting point. And go ahead with the smith side quest- who's to say a Solar smith would stay put? - after all fame has its price, in increased hunts after you.]

Pheonix nodded and started to answer Risa's question as they headed to the Officer's Mess.

"You would be right, the Chumyo is the High Commander of all Lookshyan forces. As for how I ended up travelling with the current Chumyo - is that she was the Captain of the patrol unit I was assigned to. How a patrol captain became Chumyo is a slightly odd story."

Pheonix didn't actually want to tell about Lookshy's destruction in front of the general troops. She would tell that story soon enough - assuming it wasn't already public knowledge.

----

Web mulled the information over as well as the potential benefits and consequences, while Tinker turned to Hanzo. She'd already identified Thorns as a sticking point - but there wasn't much she could do about that just yet. However she could do something about gaining support from the more difficult factions... in particular the financing duo.

"Approaching a few beforehand would be an idea, Nexus and Great Forks for certain. Which Kingdoms in your opinion will be the hardest to persuade?" She asked Tinker. She wasn't about to give full details to the ambassadors beforehand - but she could at least hint that a vote in favor of Lookshy's proposal would be to their benefit.

----

Dace agreed with delegating that task to the Seconds, he had noticed their basic dislike for each other on first meeting.

"Agreed on that. Any ideas on why they dislike each other?" He was just as confused by the inter-Terrestrial rivalry issues as in his point of view they had more in common than in differences.

"As for location - Mishaka seems like a reasonable base. It being rather central to the area - and the potential threats. Although a large center like Mishaka would be an obvious target if the Empress got wind of the rebuilt force."

Risa noticed Pheonix' evasive answer, but decided to let it be - for now. Arriving at the Officers' Mess, which was only populated by a few people to begin with, she directed the others out with a wave of her hand.

At this late hour, there wasn't any hot food available, but the cold meatpie set out still smelled good, as did the selection of cheeses. The khaf, however, was hot; possibly freshly made by the officers that had just left.

Pulling out chairs for the both of them, Risa sat down and motioned for Pheonix to start the same. True to their intentions, they started work on a integrated training schedule. Either Risa had decided to let the mysterie of the Captain Who Became Chumyo be, or she was allowing Pheonix to broach the subject in her own time.

-------------

"Alright", said Tinker. "In the morning, we'll send the Lieutenant and Chumyo off to speak with the Marukani and Hawkriders. Admittedly, neither of them is a born diplomat -" he winked to indicate a joke "- but both the Marukani and Hawkriders are proud, militaristic and to-the-point, so they should fit right in. More importantly, a personal visit from the Chumyo might flatter the Hawkriders enough to ensure their vote. Meanwhile, you and I will tackle the hard ones: Nexus, Greatforks and these -" here he indicated several names on the list he and Web and composed "- of the Hundred Kingdoms. I'll see if I can persuade the Chumyo to let you go out with Gunn so we can cover more ground apart."

-------------

"Yes", Shaya agreed with Dace's last comment. "And we have to consider that she will try to use the Realm Defense Grid again at that point. We need to know the range of that thing. First Age texts would have you believe that it can hit everywhere, but when the Empress tried to use it in her first war against Lookshy, the resulting earthquakes nearly levelled the Blessed Isle; so we figured the texts were either exaggarating, or she simply didn't have the right mojo to power it, but it looks like she figured it out now."

She thought for a moment and then continued: "It would help to know if there were any major side-effects to the Blessed Isle when she used it. If there were, Lookshy might have been at the extremity of her reach. If there weren't, then we should be prepared to move from Mishaka to further inland. I know that Lookshy has spies within the Realm, but unfortunately I don't know their names or how to contact them, so we can only hope that they'll report back in when we resurrect the Seventh."

Then she returned to his first comment. "I'm not sure really, I think it's an elemental thing. I've noticed the same with other Terrestrial Exalted in our army; they have some sort of instinctual reaction to each other. Fortunately, they seem to move beyond it once they get to know each other better. If you have no objections, I'll go find them and ask them to draw up a new training rota In the meantime, could you dig up your personnel records on the people you'd recommend for Officer positions in the new Seventh? I'd offer to let you read mine, but I'm afraid they're at the bottom of a rather large lake." She smiled grimly at the bitter joke and got up to find Pheonix and Risa.

((How about a small city with some First Age ruins for our mystery location East of Mishaka?))

[sounds good to me.]

Settled in the Mess, as they worked on the training schedule - Pheonix did wonder why Risa didn't press the issue. Though now it was just the two of them.

"Captain Shaya is the highest ranking officer left of the Seventh - she's Chumyo by default. Lookshy was destroyed by the Realm's Defense Grid on the last day of Calibration." Pheonix didn't need to say who was responsible - only one in Creation had the authority to activate that - the Empress herself.

Pheonix did look up from the paperwork to see Risa's reaction.

---

The plan made, all that need to be done - if Shaya agreed to Web and Tinker splitting to cover ground - was to split the visiting list between them.

"If that goes ahead, I suggest one of us goes to the Nexus representative and the other goes to the one from Greatforks. Hopefully, that will give the impression to any 'diplomatic' spies in each others camp that the other side was cutting a deal. Be more convincing to their paranoid side." Web was used to the idea of a plant in opposing sides - it gave both the illusion of having the upper-hand in any negotiations.

---

Dace nodded,

"Information on the Grid would be useful,especially if it had any backlash - but for now we'll have to go blind. I'll make plans to keep the majority mobile and away from base until we get confirmation one way or another."

"As for the recommendations, I'll get on that for your reviewing. No objections to finding the pair and getting them to work together." Dace then muttered something about 'confusing elementals', most likely referring to the reasoning behind the dislike.

Risa looked up from her papers, eyes wide in shock. For a moment she didn't say anything and then she uttered a horrified "oh my gods" before falling silent again.

The silent lingered as Risa searched for what next to say. She doubted that Pheonix would want condolences, so she simply expressed the next thing that came to mind. "ALL of Lookshy? That's nearly half a million people. How could she do that?" It was clear that Risa was both shocked and outraged.

--------------

Tinker nodded in agreement. "Do you have a preference for Nexus or Great Forks? They're both lazy, greedy, back-stabbers, but if you had prior dealings with either culture that might give you an edge. I'm familiar with both so it's the same to me."

--------------

Leaving Dace to collect his files and start on plans for a mobile army, Shaya went to find Pheonix. Asking one of the mercenaries, she quickly gleaned that the two Terrestrials had been in a fight, which almost made her grimace, until the soldier explained that it had been a sparring match. He was also able to direct her to the Officers' Mess, where the two Exalted were headed next. The place was easy to find, but Shaya did not go inside just yet. Instead, she took a moment to look up at the sky.

The stars had come out - what time is it anyway - and the Maidens and Luna were visible against the dark background. The sounds of Nexus continued around her; this city never slept; but nevertheless she was oddly calm. Dace had been the first person she had told about the destruction of her home and, strangely enough, it felt like finally closing that door. Telling him made it real and now she could move on. Searching the heavens, she found Saturn; the Maiden of Endings. "All things must end so they can begin anew," Shaya whispered. Taking another deep breath, she simply remained where she was as the stars moved imperceptibly slow overhead.