Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Hanzo looked up when Tinker called out to him and listened to his suggestions. "Yes, sir." he said, almost without thinking, as a reflexive answer for getting orders. He briefly wondered whether Tinker was higher in rank than he was, but dismissed the thought. Priorities, Hanzo, priorities. "I'll need some funds for the materials, sir." he added, feeling awkward to ask for money. But Tinker handed him a small pouch without a second thought and answered: "Good thinking, Hanzo. This should cover the expenses. Now hurry. You do not have much time left."

Hanzo hurried outside, leaving the guest quarters, and looked around. It was dark and the Maidens and Luna were clearly visible in the night sky. Where to go next? He approached a mercenary on guard duty at the gates and asked for directions to a smithy where he could find some metal. The answer was a jumble of street names and turns, but slowly a mental picture started forming in his mind of the basic lay-out of the city of Nexus. He thanked the man and slipped out of the compound.

A half hour later, he was on a small square with a lively market: torches were set in sconces, artists juggled with fire batons and stalls had merchants selling their wares. He held tightly to his pouch with obols, as he expected there be all kinds of criminals out for his money. Dressed in his Lookshy uniform, he stood out as a foreigner fresh from the boat and it wasn't long before people started to offer things to him, sensing an easy target.

He turned down the offers of food, drink, slaves and more exotic services as friendly as he could, trying not to look too sickened at the more gruesome offers. He bit back the urge to purge this market with holy flames of wrath and was relieved when he heard sounds of a hammer hitting metal coming from a small stall in a corner of the market. He almost sprinted the last few meters.

At the stall was a small young woman, selling wares of iron and other metals. It was a strange mix: ordinary cutlery, pans and pots next to jewellery and ornamental work, clearly displaying the skill of the smith. The woman smiled at him and said in the common Low Realm tongue: "Do you see anything you like, sir? Perhaps a nice necklace for your girl?"

Hanzo laughed quietly at that remark and answered in the same language. "My... girl?" He shook his head warily, then remembered what he was to buy. "Actually, I see a lot of things I like. The workmanship is exquisite indeed! Sadly tonight I am here to buy metals. Is that possible?"

The woman smiled back at him. "For that you will have to speak with the smith himself. I will call him out for you. One moment, please." She quietly called out to the back and the hammering sound stopped. A mountainous bear of a man stepped out of the shadows and under the canopy of the market stall. "Yes?" He said with a calm and rumbling voice, although distinctly kinder than Hanzo would have expected.

Hanzo cleared his throat. "Good evening, sir smith. I would like to buy metal from your reserves. If at all possible some Jade." The muscled man raised an eyebrow at Hanzo and the Lookshyan felt uneasy. "Just a small bit. I have enough money to pay for it." He held out the small pouch for him to see.

The smith laughed quietly. "Come with me to the back, Lookshy. And don't flaunt your money like that. It attracts all kinds of vermin." He took Hanzo to the back of the stall to a house with a coal fire and a well equipped smithy. As spartan as it may have seemed, Hanzo could see that this was a professional workshop and he admired the tools and hefted a few to judge their worth.... and then remembered he was not in his own shop and put them back. "Sorry for touching your wares, sir." He apologized.

"Think nothing of it, Lookshy. A bit of a smith yourself, aren't you? You have the manners of one at least." the smith grinned. Hanzo returned the smile sheepishly and nodded.

"My name is Hanzo. I am from Lookshy, but please do not call me Lookshy." There was more pain in his voice that he would have liked, but he pushed it away and went on. "I need a tenth ounce of Jade, each colour." He hesitated a moment and then added: "What golden metals do you have?"

"Fair enough, Hanzo. My name is Sayn. And I do have small amounts of Jade, just not in this shop. This is my night market smithy, we will have to go to my proper one for the good stuff." He gave Hanzo an appraising look and decided he wasn't a Terrestrial Exalt by the looks of it. He could be a spy for Lookshy or even the Wyld Hunt. He would test that later...

((I find myself wondering what became of Yu Tu and Yu Tien; Lookshy's city gods. Yu Tu was the original god of Deheleshen and has been quite mad since the Great Contagion and Fair Folk Incursion destroyed that First Age city. So there is a good chance that this second destruction of his city took him out of the game (for now - unless someone also blew up his sanctum in Yu Shan, he will rematerialize with time). But his daughter/lover Yu Tien was very strong (Essence 6), completely sane and highly capable (she regularly beat the Central god of war and is a trusted advisor to the Eastern godess of war) and, more importantly, she is the patron godess of Lookshy *and* the Seventh Legion. So I have a feeling she might make an appearance sometime soon.

Thoughts/input?))

((I think that sounds fair. I do not know enough about spirits and gods, but I seem to recall that they are hard to kill if they have a place in Yu Shan...

Maybe she'll be a covert supporter in the council meeting and help in small subtle ways (is she subtle?) before she reveals herself to us (to test our worthyness)

or

she can come all out to Shaya supporting the new Seventh Legion and claim it as her army (her being the patron of the army)..?))

[sounds good to me - though with Lookshy destroyed it would have caused trauma to the younger God - so perhaps she'd be weaker until the Seventh is resurrected? As for Yu Tu - he will rematerialize but the second loss will - most likely - break whatever is left of his mind.

Wonder what Shaya will say about the sparring to the two of them? Unless she's too surprised that the pair are working/talking together without sniping at each other.]

Pheonix replied to Risa, understanding the horror and outrage that showed, grimly thinking that Risa now knew why she was vague in her answer in the yard.

"Lookshy is now a lake from the attack. I do not know how she could kill so many so callously - but I do know the method used. The same weapon system that repelled the Fair Folk when Creation was recovering from the Contagion."

Since she had said that Shaya was her patrol commander - Pheonix assumed that Risa would guess she survived by being outside the city at the time. Which was partially true - Pheonix had been outside, but she had been close enough to feel the heat from the impact... her Exaltation element had taken the bulk of the force out of that. Still wasn't pleasant.

Though knowing the weapon used might tell a different story to her words, if only due to omission of a certain fact.

---

Web considered the choice, Nexus or Great Forks.... they were identical in most respects as Tinker had mentioned. Though she'd had more dealings with Nexus in the service of her previous 'employer'.

"Nexus - I am most familiar with that faction." Web didn't think she'd need to elaborate - Tinker was aware of her past.

((Re the Gods of Lookshy:

Agreed on Yu Tu. Even when he does reform, he'll be stark raving mad and vengeful until Lookshy is rebuild, which may be never. So we can count him out.

As for Yu Tien - Takhesis is right that the destruction of Lookshy and the Seventh will have weakened her; so let's say that she is currently Essence 2 or 3. That means she went from an Essence 6 daughter/lover of the most powerful city-god in the Scavenger Lands (aka Yu Tu) to an Essence 2 or 3 orphan. Specifically: an Essence 2 or 3 orphan who still has the enemies she made when she was Essence 6. So she's in trouble. We can assume that she's in hiding and calling upon every divine friend she can find. Luckily for her, those friends include the Eastern War Goddess and one of the city-gods of Great Forks (the group doesn't know this IC, but I think it's safe to say that Great Forks will support us).

Yu Tien is also the goddess of Lookshy which no longer exists and the goddess of the Seventh which is only whatever fractured groups were not present when the city was destroyed. Shaya's unit might not be the only surviving one (Lookshy had troops in other places), but it is the one with the new self-proclaimed Chumyo who is actively working to restore the Seventh. So right now, Yu Tien is probably placing all her bets on us; which means she is very close (possibly even in Nexus right now).

Having said that, Yu Tien is neither subtle nor very helpful. She is the goddess of Lookshy and the Seventh Legion, and both of those placed a heavy emphasis on being independent and self-reliant. So as much as Yu Tien needs us to pull her ass out of the fire, she won't help. I mean, she will call in favours which will help indirectly (case in point: her buddy in Great Forks) but nothing more than that.

If we fail, I'm not sure what she'll do. She might accept as position as lesser goddess working for the Eastern War Goddess.

If we succeed, she'll probably make an appearance ("good job, soldier") and then move with the Seventh to their new location. That would work well for all involved: the Seventh can use a divine patron on hand and she, likewise, will need the Seventh as a guard against her enemies. Also, and this is important, the texts on Yu Tien indicate that she is capable of feeling gratitude. So if we succeed, she'll 'owe us one' and that might be relevant in the future. She could also be the one to point us to Denandsor (she's old enough to know about Denandsor in the Shogunate era and it's in her best interest if we bring back an armoury for the new Seventh) and similar caches of First Age relics gathered in the Shogunate era.))

Sayn closed the small night-time smithy and took Hanzo through the maze-like streets of Nexus by night. Hanzo tried to keep up with the twists and turns, the bridges spanning canals and the notable buildings, but after a while he had to admit to himself that he wouldn’t know how to get back to the Bronze Tiger compound. I’ll solve that when I need to. Now focus on the task at hand, Hanzo.

At last they arrived at the gate of a small compound and entered. Sayn went in search of a lantern. They were in a courtyard and Hanzo could see the light of Luna glinting off of metal all around: the tools on the walls, works in progress standing under the eaves, finished armour on display for prospecting customers… Hanzo felt right at home and at the same time his stomach twisted in a knot with a pang of sorrow.

Sayn took Hanzo to a door and showed him in. It smelled of metal and oil and the light from the lantern revealed a store of ores and metal nuggets of every kind, a veritable treasury room. Hanzo’s eyes lit up. The large man ushered Hanzo in and closed the door.

Sayn walked to a rack and pulled a few obviously heavy boxes out. On the table in the middle, he set down the boxes and lit the lamp hanging above it. He carefully selected nuggets of Jade and displayed them on the table. He also put down gold-coloured metals for Hanzo to inspect. To test him, he put down a small piece of Orichalcum. It was rare enough to be overlooked in these lighting conditions as another piece of gold. Let’s see what this Hanzo is made of. Sayn thought.

Hanzo inspected the nuggets with expert eyes and skilled fingers, and picked out only the most excellent pieces. He glanced over the gold and immediately spotted the Orichalcum. He carefully checked his small bag of coins and then picked up the bright gold piece of the magical metal. “How much would you ask for this?”

Sayn noticed Hanzo’s reaction when the Lookshyan recognized the Orichalcum. His hand clenched around the smith’s hammer he wore at his side. “All together, with the gold, it would be 12 obol.” he said with his most casual voice. Now for the moment of truth.

Hanzo stared at Sayn for a moment. “Gold? This is Orichalcum. It…” He shut up the moment he realized that he was going to stretch his budget even further. Sayn took his hesitation as a sign of dishonesty and grabbed Hanzo by the front of his coat and lifted him up against the wall with boxes. “What are you up to, Lookshyan? Spying? A member of the Wyld Hunt maybe? Tell me.” He lifted his hammer threateningly.

Hanzo tried to remain calm. Think, Hanzo, your next answer might be your last. Not a spy. But how to prove that? Wait a minute… He tried to blink through the adrenalin rush to clear his mind. Why did he bring in the Wyld Hunt? Could this be the Solar smith Tinker had mentioned? Someone like himself? Surely, this Solar would be more inclined to help if he knew they were brothers in craft. But how to know for sure? Hanzo, in a bold moment, decided to risk exposing himself as a Solar and slowly used the ambient Essence to fuel his cast mark. On his forehead, glittering almost imperceptibly at first, a golden circle became visible, half empty, half full. “No, sir. Just a fellow smith looking for good materials to craft.”

Sayn froze for a moment when the Caste Mark became visible. Then he started to laugh. “A bold move, boy, and a stupid one. Lucky for you I like your kind. You will have to tell me your story though. I don’t sell the gold stuff to strangers.” He took Hanzo to the little courtyard and set him down on a stool. He pulled out a small flask and two small cups, poured Hanzo some strong smelling liquor and looked at him expectantly.

Hanzo felt apprehensive at first, but the full effects of the past week came crashing down on him and he gave in. With a sigh he accepted the cup and started telling his story, being as honest as he dared, leaving out the delicate details. When he was finished the Moon had traversed the night sky, heralding the arrival of the Sun; he raised his cup to his fallen city and drank it in one go.

Edited by Biologist

Risa was about to respond to Pheonix, when the newly made Chumyo came in. She could see it now; the haggard look around the eyes, the tightness around the mouth. She had thought it was simply due to stress from their journey through the Underworld, but it was more than that; the woman before her had suffered great loss. Looking to her side, she could see it on Pheonix now too. To have your home and family destroyed and still keep going... Risa made a mental not not to cross either of these formidable soldiers.

-----------------------

"Lieutenants", the Solar greeted the two of them. "I have spoken to Captain Dace and we think it would be good to integrate the training ro-" she stopped when she saw the papers speard out on the table "- aaand you've already thought of that. Nicely done. Lieutenant Risa, if I might steal back my Second for a moment?"

Taking Pheonix aside for a moment, Shaya told her: "I asked Captain Dace and he accepted - we have our General." She never mentioned that they still needed to get their army, as failure was not an option to her.

------------------------

"Okay then we have a plan of action," said Tinker to the Moonshadow. Reaching out, he placed a hand on her arm, still seemingly unperturbed by her Exaltation. "You did good, kid. Now get some sleep; I'll wake you when the Chumyo comes back so you can present your speech.

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

[Hmmm... other Lookshy survivors... the outposts might not know yet of Lookshy's destruction - they may send messengers there when their replacement supplies/relief groups don't arrive when they should. At least, since destruction occurred during (end of) Calibration the communication lines wouldn't have been used immediately. And now for a cut scene or two...]

The Oath paper that refused to be signed off on had made its way to the Forbidden Manse of Ivy, where it could be examined.

The one that had the fortune - or misfortune - of examining this oddity, was a Sidereal by the name of Silent Falling Tree. First examination of the paper revealed nothing wrong - it was the standard form paper for Oath pacts, so that meant there must be something wrong in the wording.

Silent Falling Tree read the words and then re-read them in disbelief. Somehow an Abyssal had managed to get access to Yu Shan's bureaucracy system, that did need further investigation....

Silent Falling Tree headed for the back door that led to Loom, perhaps there was something there - since Abyssals didn't normally show up as anything more than an anomaly, there could be a clue as to how this occurred.

[Oops, looks like Web has already attracted attention.....]

The Day Caste waited to be called in - he had the information on Web that he'd been requested to find by his Death Lord. Information gathering was one of his specialties, although this task had proven rather boring. Hopefully the next task would be more to his liking....

Once the summons came, he entered and bowed to the Shadow of Cities.

"Be brief - there are pressing matters to attend to."

"Yes, my Lord. As requested I gathered information on Web's dealings - there is only one common occurrence throughout. Someone called Griffin - a Lunar from what I have been able to gather - keeps showing up. I suspect he is the cause of Web's 'change of heart'." She's still a traitor.

Shadow considered this, then spoke.

"If that is the case, then this 'Griffin' needs to be found. But first - I have a retrieval task for you. Our new Daybreak needs bringing home. Oh and keep an eye out for any good candidates for our other opening..." He gave the location and then dismissed the Day Caste.

"Yes master," the Day bowed and left on his joint task. And if I find Griffin on the way - all the better.

----

Pheonix nodded at Shaya - she knew the army was going to be the hardest part. Though she was surprised that the earlier sparring wasn't brought up - after all, she had been asked to find information out from rather than get in a fight with her opposite number.

"Step one done. How are the other steps going?" Pheonix meant the speech writing and Hanzo's designs.

--

Web tiredly agreed with Tinker, she did need a nap.

"But what about you? Don't you need rest?"

Edited by Takhesis

There was some commotion outside the officers' mess. One of the Bronze Tigers knocked at the door and entered. She addressed Shaya directly: "Sir, there is a courier who needs to speak to the Captain from Lookshy. It is urgent."

It was also in the middle of the night...

Sayn heard Hanzo's tale and was perplexed. How anyone could use a weapon like that was beyond him and he admired Hanzo and his group for going on despite the hardships they endured. It was the kind of mentality he hoped to find in people and especially in Solars. Not that he had met many. In a moment of sympathy for Lookshy's cause, he offered Hanzo the use of his smithy and raised his price only slightly, to twenty obols. A bargain.

Hanzo was grateful for the offer and accepted it eagerly. The smithy was everything he dreamed it would be and he was positive that he could do wondrous things here. He set to work after Sayn had shown him around, Sayn assisting him. While they worked, they both gained respect for the other's skills, and started talking during the crafting process. At one point, the position of Master Artificer of the army of the River Lands came up and Hanzo offered it to Sayn. The big man laughed heartily. "I'll take it into consideration, Hanzo." was all he would say about it.

Well before the time of the meeting, Hanzo had finished the proper regalia for the Chumyo of Lookshy. He had proudly added some personal touches and a little Orichalcum and it would look great on White Jade *and* Orichalcum armour. It displayed the Field Force from which Shaya had come, yet embodied the entirety of the Seventh Legion... and it shone as brightly as the fire in the heart of every Lookshyan citizen...

With directions of the Solar smith, he hurried back to the Bronze Tiger compound and arrived as the Sun touched the morning sky and rose above the horizon, looking for the Chumyo...

Edited by Biologist

((Oeeeeh who's Griffin? A First Age Lover perhaps? I've been thinking about a 1A incarnation for Shaya too, but between her demeanor, motivation and Anima banner there's really only one perfect candidate and I'm not sure she's meant to be a PC (Merela), so I'm just leaving it blank for now.))

------------------------

Tinker smiled almost boyishly at the Moonshadow. "Needing only very little sleep is one of the prerogatives of the elderly." Indeed, he did look like he was near retirement-age, for even if daily exercises had kept him fit and the bright spark in his eyes revealed the sharpness of his mind, crow's feet ran deep around his eyes and mouth. If the General staff hadn't suddenly found themselves suddenly with a loyal Anathema on their hands, he might have been living a quiet life with children and grandchildren, but as it was, he had been called on to keep an eye on the new Solar and now he was here, in Nexus, while his family was dead.

--------------------------

"Yes, step one," Shaya allowed herself a brief smile, though it never reached her eyes. "As for Hanzo and Web: I haven't talked to them since I gave them their assignments, but I am sure they can handle it. But now that I have you here; I'm considering leaving most, if not all, of the mortal unit with the Seventh. They're a good crew, but tangling with a Deathlord is out of their league. And, more importantly, the New Seventh Legion might benefit from the experience of Officers who served in the first Seventh Legion. What do you thi-" she was interrupted by a knock on the door, followed by a Bronze Tiger entering.

"Sir, there is a messenger who needs to speak to the Captain from Lookshy. It is urgent."

Shaya raised an eyebrow and exchanged a look with Pheonix. She'd been calling herself the Chumyo in an effort to legitimize her aim of resurrecting the Seventh. Of course she was still wearing her Captain's insignia and they had traversed a good portion of the city surrounded by onlookers, but that still meant that whomever wanted to see her, was knowledgable enough to recognize and interpret Seventh Legion rank symbols.

"Very well," she said to the mercenary. "Lead the way."

((Griffin is the Lunar paired with Web's Solar Exaltation - so yep there is a First Age link - at the moment an NPC, though I have no objection to him becoming a PC. And no he's not the one that poisoned Pheonix.... I'm debating on Web's 1A too - but that can be made up if/when it becomes relevant. Hmmm as for Merela/Shaya - perhaps/perhaps not.))

((Ok I've finished my post above smile.gif. Also, feel free to voice any thoughts/input/concerns about the Merela connection. Note that I do not mean that Shaya resembles Queen Merela, but that she's a lot like I imagine 'young' Merela was during the Primordial War.)) Edited by Mistress of Whispers

[okies - I see no real barrier to Merela being Shaya's 1A, apart from her first age fame (ie the Title bit) being enough to make Shaya an even bigger target for the Realm as the All-Seeing Eye would probably be able to tell - though that could lead to some interesting plot as well as being trouble]

Pheonix's reply was halted by the Bronze Tiger messenger's entrance, though since she and Shaya had been working together for a while - it was only a minor inconvenience.

To answer the unfinished question, Pheonix nodded. She agreed that a Death Lord was too powerful to risk the remaining mortal contingent. As for the form of address - that was odd, but then again that had been picked up on by Risa - and potentially some others.

Assuming Shaya didn't want her presence with the messenger - she would go back to organizing the integration with Risa.

---

Web could see behind Tinker's almost off-handed comment and smile to the thoughts of what could have been. Though she did have one question before sleeping, one that had been tickling the back of her mind for while.

"Why do you accept my presence so easily? Almost everyone else recoils or is wary of me."

((Here are my own objections to Merela -

What we know about Merela:

- She used to be a gladiator in Rathess <-- Not a problem

- She killed a Primordial single-handed and barehanded <-- Not a problem. There are one or two other canon 1A characters who did that & if the concept is 'total bad ass Dawn' (aka max combat abilities) then I think killing a Primordial is feasible.

- She was a lover of Sol Invictus <-- Kinda borderline, but we know he's a ladies man so it could have happened.

- Sol himself made the Crown of Thunders for her <-- Uhm... The Crown of Thunders in and of itself isn't a problem in a world where Solars own things like the Brass Leviathan, Five-Metal Shrike and Luthe, but Sol Invictus personally made if for her??

- Sol gave her the Mandate of Creation and, thus, made her Queen of Creation <-- WTF? Who wrote this Mary Sue??

If one of my players handed in Merela's background for their character concept, I wouldn't approve it. BUT I will admit that I'm a huge fan of the idea of the Solar Deliberative, so maybe I'm just extra sensitive to the whole 'Queen of Creation' thing? And despite my objections to the 'Queen of Creation', I do still think that Shaya's demeanour, motivation and totemic anima fit the bill.))

------------------------------

Gesturing for Pheonix to join her, Shaya followed the messenger outside.

"So this should be interesting," she said to her Lieutenant. "Someone who knows about the event, possibly?" She didn't say which event, since they were still accompanied by a Bronze Tiger, but it was clear that she meant the destruction of Lookshy.

Tinker smiled at Web. It was a warm, comforting gesture and she could easily imagine that he had once soothed distraught children or grandchildren with it.

"One doesn't get to be as old as I am, without meeting a monster or two. Real monsters. And you're not one of them. I can see it in your words, your behaviour, your anguish, but most importantly: your eyes. Your soul got saddled with a monstrous Exaltation, to be sure, but you are not a monster. Now -" he gently patted her hand "- get some sleep."

((Yes, he really is that good a man. They don't saddle you with Solar-babysitting duty unless you have very good instincts when it comes to people.))

Mia's horse stumbled as she galloped through the dark night. Pulling lightly on the reigns, she held the animal upright, but she knew she was pushing it too hard. The horse was a san-animal; a gift from the Bull's Haltan allies; but even it had its limits. Nevertheless, she kept pushing it, for if she had kept track of time correctly, the River Confederacy met on the morrow.

News of Lookshy's destruction had been broadcast by the Scarlet Empress over the First Age communications system; meaning it had reached the ear of the powers of Whitewall, Gethemane and the Crystal Hearts and from there, through countless of spies, it had reached the ear of the Bull of the North. Powerful, impressive and implacable in both his fury and talent for war, Yurgen Kaneko was one of the most famous, or infamous, Solar Exalted in Creation. But no matter his power; attacking the Blessed Isle itself was, for the moment, out of his league. So he stayed his hand and made plans to further consolidate his grasp on the North, allowing him to move against the Empress in the future.

Mia had not agreed with him. In recent years, war had followed on war followed on war and it had to stop. If Creation was to survive, it must have peace. So when a new Chumyo rose from the destruction, calling for an assembly of the River Council, Mia knew she had to attend him* so she might help avert a great war in the East. The Bull had been reluctant to let her go, but hadn't pressed the issue; she suspected because she had been useless to him for a long time as there was no place for peace in Kaneko's world. She could only hope that this Chumyo would be more willing to search for alternatives other than war.

((Yes, news travelled to select ears that Lookshy has a Chumyo and that its quite possibly a new Chumyo, but not that it's also a woman.))

The Bronze Tiger guard took Shaya and Pheonix to the gates where a member of the Lookshyan diplomatic corps stood waiting. He looked as if he had been awoken mere minutes ago and he leaned against the gate tiredly. When he noticed the two Lookshyan officers approach, he straightened and saluted. "Greetings, Captain, I have orders to take you to Commander Lenco of the Seventh Legion diplomatic corps, Ambassador to Nexus. He has asked you come alone. Shall we leave?" He gestured to a carriage waiting outside the gates.

The Diplomatic corps was somewhat of an ambivalent division. It was composed of those Lookshyans who were better with words than with their weapons. Not all soldiers were positive about it, as being stationed with one of the ambassadors usually meant that there was going to be little action. To some that was exactly what was appealing about it...

[Re: Merela, First 3 points - no problem with those. Point 4: Sol probably didn't forge it - just commissioned it. As for point 5: Someone had to receive the Mandate - just like (to make a religious comparison - no offence intended with it) Moses received the Ten Commandments.]

Pheonix agreed with Shaya,

"Indeed it could." Though upon seeing the uniform of the diplomatic section of Lookshy, Pheonix sighed internally. In her experience, the diplomatic corps just stood in the way of what needed to be done - all that red tape would just delay things. And that delay couldn't be afforded if the Abyssal spoke the truth about the Orbs.

Pheonix just didn't have the patience - she preferred action over sitting around and just discussing all the ramification of one course over another.

---

Web smiled and took Tinker's advice to get some sleep. As she moved to rest:

"Thank you. Good to know that I'm not completely damned by this Exaltation." It was a comforting thought that, at least, one person thought there was some good in her.

[Re: Merela (...) As for point 5: Someone had to receive the Mandate - just like (to make a religious comparison - no offence intended with it) Moses received the Ten Commandments.]

((I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right. *Someone* had to get saddled with the dang thing, so why not her. And we know that she's an awful politician at least: Merela lost the Mandata to the Solar Deliberative, where the Hierophant and his circle kept outvoting her at every turn. So she does have her weaknesses.

@ Biologist, what do you make of the whole Merela thing?))

-----------------

Despite her often high-running temper, Shaya was a disciplined soldier. As such, she neither sighed nor rolled her eyes when confronted with an invitation from Lookshy's ambassador to Nexus. Of course, she didn't have to sigh or roll her eyes; she and Pheonix knew each other very well and in this case especially, their thoughts perfectly coincided. Furthermore, Shaya judged diplomats by their assignment, as they often got a say in where they were stationed, or at the least were positioned in a place they would fit in. As such, the ambassador to the Marukani or Hawk Riders might have made a favourable impression on her. But the ambassador to Nexus... Nevertheless, he might have information for her on any Seventh Legion companies stationed away from Lookshy and, since she was not entirely comfortable having appropriated the title of Chumyo for herself, a Commander did outrank her. Standing at attention and giving the messenger a salute to indicate that she had received his request and would accompany him, she turned and gave Pheonix a similarly formal salute, to indicate that the Fire Exalt was in command of the unit until Shaya returned.

-----------------

As the stars and moon cast their light from overhead, Mia could see the great city of Nexus rise up from behind the horizon. Alternately called 'the pearl of the Riverlands' and 'the wh*re of the Riverlands', it was the largest and busiest city of the River Province by far. Even at this hour, riverships were docking in the harbor and travellers pleaded with the gate guards to let them in - a process which usually involved a discreet 'fee' paid to the guard or harbor inspector on duty. Nexus lived on commerce and a popular saying stated that 'everything can be found in Nexus, for a price' - a saying more true than most visitors would care to imagine. Allowing neither an army nor slaves within its walls, though loopholes could be found for either law, Nexus was a promised land and cesspit rolled into one neat package. Heaving a relieved sigh - she would arrive in time - Mia spurred her horse on for the last stretch.

The messenger held open the door to the carriage for Shaya and took place opposite her. He bumped his fist twice against the roof and the carriage started rolling, muffled sounds of hoofs could be heard from outside. The messenger was clearly not at ease and remained silent for the entire trip. He looked relieved when the carriage stopped at a rather resplendent mansion in the most expensive neighbourhood of Nexus and he could show Shaya in.

The building looked impressive from the outside, with columns of white stone and many windows, but from the inside it was even more opulent. Silken tapestries hung from the ceiling, covering the walls, alabaster vases were carefully placed with miniature trees, sprouting small purple sweet smelling blossoms, a soft carpet of a rich crimson velvet cushioned Shaya's footsteps to a whisper and a grand staircase of white marble promised even greater luxury upstairs. The messenger took Shaya trough a side door, masterfully carved with scenes of birds and trees, to a waiting room, tastefully furnished with comfortable lounge chairs and a small table with fresh fruits and scented wine. "Please wait here, sir." the messenger said, he saluted and left Shaya alone.

There was nothing militaristic about this place. It looked more like a Fair Folk palace from one of the many tales of their depravity, than the home of a Lookshyan officer. Though whether all ambassadors were given such quarters or it was this Ambassador's own taste was unknown to Shaya.

Ten minutes passed and finally doors opened to a luxurious conference room, where a warm fire blazed and a man waited, clad in silken robes of the finest quality, shaven cleanly, immaculately manicured and perfumed, with the rank insignia of a commander of the Liaison Directorate of Lookshy.

As Shaya entered, the man approached with a broad smile. As he came near, his nose wrinkled and he looked disapproving of Shaya's appearance, with mud and blood, ichor and other unholyness sticking to her armour. His eye twitched in distaste, but he regained control almost immediately and welcome Shaya with a curt smile. "Captain."

((and I am perfectly ok with Merela as Shaya's first age incarnation. It fits quite perfectly. We can tweak the canon story to our liking and I think Takhesis' example takes care of point 5 nicely! I say: go biggrin.gif ))

Pheonix returned Shaya's salute. Since it was late most of the unit would be asleep, so there would be little for her to do command-wise. Finishing the paperwork for training integration with Risa would be first on the list - then she probably should check up on Hanzo and Web's respective tasks.

And then get some sleep - or at least, let the other officers get some.

((Given that the unit just got their first R&R since the destruction of Lookshy, Pheonix might have to pluck the twins and Hare out of the messhall and send them to bed. I can just imagine those three having a drink and playing a game of dice with some of the mercenaries - not to the point of impairing them from duty if called upon, but enough to keep them up when they should be getting some rest. Mouse has likely turned in for the night. Gunn might just be with the other three, not so much to gamble himself, but to keep an eye out.))

-------------------------------

((Going back a bit for Shaya))

Sitting opposite the messenger in the carriage, Shaya studied him carefully. He was young and still relatively fit; not what she would expect from someone in the Diplomatic Corps. Perhaps he had been stationed here after committing an offence or performing lackluster in his other duties. She wondered if he knew that his home had been destroyed; whatever his shortcomings, he was a Lookshyan soldier and he had a right to know.

Addressing him by rank, she spoke to him: "Are you aware of recent events? The Empress launched her First Age weaponry against our city - Lookshy has been destroyed; a crater-lake lies where our city once stood. None in the city survived. I am here to rebuild the Seventh Legion." She looked at him without blinking, though there was a certain sadness to her: it was clear that she wasn't lying or exaggerating.

((Timeskip to the present.))

Shaya studied Commander Lenco for a moment; his pretty mannerisms, the silks he wore, the perfume that surrounded him. Her gaze finally rested on his hands before looking at her own. His were perfectly manicured, pristinely clean and soft. Hers were splattered with blood, streaks of dust and soot and covered in callousses from holding her sword and bow, with fine scars indicated where she had broken the bones of her hand in combat once. He outranked her, but she couldn't allow him to take control of whatever remained of the Seventh; he would have them all sitting on cushions doing nothing, while the Empress finished what she started.

"Since you are all the way out here, I'll assume you're not appraised of our current situation and forgive your slip in protocol. But I am informing you now that Lookshy and most of the Seventh Legion have been destroyed by the Scarlet Empress. You will address me as Chumyo, Commander."

Shaya was a patriot above all and she sought neither power nor glory for her own ends. If she found a senior Lookshyan officer worthy of the position of Chumyo, she would happily relinquish the title to him, but Lenco was not such an officer and she thought it best to inform him of the current balance of power as soon as possible.

((I found pictures for my characters! Would it be possible to update the OP with them?

Mia. Mia's background says that she saw the Tepet legions go to their death, so she is probably from the North-East. But she travelled a lot, so quite possibly this is a drawing of her visiting Whitewall or a city in the Haslanti League.

Shaya Orestes (small). Obviously Shaya's current armour is white jade and she wears her hair in a top bun, but this does nicely represent the spirit of Shaya in my mind. And the red-and-gold armour could be her future Orichalcum armour, since orange and red are nice Dawn colours, and she might deliberately try to avoid a full-on golden armour so she's not harassed by the Wyld Hunt at every turn.))

((Cool pics! Very cool! Maybe I can find one for Hanzo smile.gif ))

In the Carriage

The messenger paled at the news Shaya had presented to him. It was obvious he hadn't heard yet and that he was full of questions and outrage and sorrow. Yet, he held his tongue. Probably because he was instructed not to speak to the passenger. At all.

With the Ambassador

Lenco snorted disdainfully. "Careful, captain. As history has taught you, one does not simply assume the title of leader of the Seventh Legion as a low ranking officer. We all know where *that* ends."

He started pacing the room. The lack of surprise or outrage at the news of the destruction of Lookshy probably meant he had already been informed.

"No." he said thoughtfully. "We will have to summon the Field Force currently deployed in the River Province, gather the senior officers and vote on a new Chumyo." A slight smile crept on his face as he thought of the possibilities of his own promotion to the rank of member of the General Staff or even... Chumyo. He continued with his mind already far ahead of the moment. "Then we will decide on a course of action, most likely enter peace negotiations with the Scarlet Throne. Weapons like that can devastate the River Province. We need to tread carefully."

He looked up at Shaya resolutely, his tone imperious. "Captain. You will call off the council meeting. You will do nothing ere the Seventh Legion has an official Chumyo in place. That is an order, understood?" He pulled a red silken cord, and a silver toned bell rang to summon a servant...

Shaya stared at the man incredulously and then let out a laugh; it was a bitter, mocking sound. "Negotiate with the Scarlet Empress? Would you negotiate with a beggar from Firewanderer? Because that's what she has reduced us to, in terms of power. No. I will continue with my plans to erect the Seventh Legion and if we negotiate with that murderess, it will be on equal footing. As for electing a new Chumyo: if a senior officer steps forward who is worthy of the job, I will gladly relinquish the position. So here is my counter-offer: you gather the leaders of the field forces so that they may vote on a new Chumyo, and I will continue with the Council Meeting and raise an army for sa id new Chumyo."

Shaya's tone was no less imperious than the Commander's and carried with it an edge of steel. She would raise a new Seventh Legion, no matter his objections. After that, if the new General Staff wanted her to step aside, she would; but she would not let an ambassador interfere with the task at hand.