Takhesis

Exalted:End of an Era

Pheonix saluted the Commander when he opened the door,

"I wish to report that the Thaumaturge has completed her meditations and is ready to assist in any mystical methods."

Then she added, "I also wish to complement you on your choice of Khaf sourcing - it is a most excellent blend that has been served." The last was added to give Web a chance to observe Lenco's attitude in more detail - as well as attempting to flatter him.

Web didn't really need the extra time to observe, she was pretty good in reading people in short time. However it did help in the fact that the other inside the office could hear the report and bought time for that one to request the extra hand in dealing with the messages.

Of course, Lenco could still say no - but it would raise questions which he may not like answering. Or couldn't afford to.

Commander Lenco looked somewhat surprised at her words, but his annoyance vanished quickly from his face and melted into a polite smile.

Web knew these smiles.

"Thank you, Lieutenant. Come inside the war room to discuss how best to use your assets and skills. Both of you." He motioned with his hand to follow him inside as he turned to the caster. "You have your orders, I suggest we do not lose any time and you start sending those messages." As the caster was about to say something, Lenco cut him short with a sharp signal and a barked order: "NOW, soldier."

As he showed Web and Pheonix in, the caster hustled out past them, looking somewhat unhappy, carrying a few papers under his arm, shaking his head...

The spider returned, and gesturing with its legs indicated that the thread in question faded out about 10 months ago, reappeared 2 months ago and was different in texture. It wasn't something that the spider had encountered before - so looked confused at that part.

((How do Abyssals typically appear - if at all - in the Loom? I know that Solars and Lunars have golden and silver threads, respectively, and they tend to pull the Loom out of whack because they influence fate around them, rather than vice versa. But I'm not sure what Abyssals do. Right now I'm guessing that Web's thread fading 10 months ago is the Black Exaltation, but the reappearance has me baffled.))

((How do Abyssals typically appear - if at all - in the Loom? I know that Solars and Lunars have golden and silver threads, respectively, and they tend to pull the Loom out of whack because they influence fate around them, rather than vice versa. But I'm not sure what Abyssals do. Right now I'm guessing that Web's thread fading 10 months ago is the Black Exaltation, but the reappearance has me baffled.))

[since Web's Exaltation was at point of death - her thread should have ended, but didn't as her Fate was changed by the Exaltation. Abyssals are considered Fate-Forsaken so her thread effectively disappeared off the Loom (faded color, thinned out etc.. So something has happened in between to make Fate notice her again.... as a certain Maiden would say (or not) *Mysterious grin: 'spoilers'*]

Pheonix would have been fooled by the smile, if she hadn't seen his earlier annoyance at their appearance. Plus his quick dismissal of the caster seemed to indicate some hurry in getting them separated - since the only thing she knew of requiring the casters service was the issue involving who would be the next Chumyo.

Web did indeed know the smiles - false politeness meant to make others feel at ease and needed for something of import. She'd seen them used and had used them herself on rare occasions.

The caster had seemed to want to say something, but Lenco gave a sharp dismissal - which was accompanied by a gesture that seemed to say 'don't speak'. The caster hid disappointment well, though his posture as he made to leave hinted at his true feelings.

Web hung back, letting Pheonix enter first as befitted a senior rank. Though that was only one reason - the other was to see if she could catch a glimpse of the paperwork the caster had.

Lowering her head in a polite bow, to hide where her eyes were travelling, Web said, as the caster passed by:

"May the weavers of the winds speed your wings." The polite, if slightly cryptic, parting blessing, should buy time. Even if the caster had orders to leave, he couldn't leave without at least acknowledging the words. She didn't want to resort to using the fail-safe phrase, but based on what words she could see or not see would decide whether it was really necessary.

The phrase 'Black Heron at the edge of the pool of Wisdom' stayed in her mind - ready to leap to her tongue if the polite, slightly underhanded, but traditional methods failed.

((I take it Web has some liguistics charm to spead read? biggrin.gif))

The caster paused and thanked Web for the well wishing by answering "And may the dragons keep you steadfast in the mire that is Nexus." It gave Web enough time to quickly glance at the paper and read the first few sentences of every paragraph. There were names heading each paragraph, with their rank and Field Force behind them. Web could only see the first two and the last two.

The first message was short, reading: "To Commander Shu Tien of the Second Field Force. Come forthwith, usurper has claimed Chumyo position, bring swords."

The second message was even shorter: "To Commander Leisheng Soong of the Third Field Force. Come with all haste to choose a new Chumyo."

The last two messages read the same, save for the names: "Your presence is desired to choose a new Chumyo, meeting starts in Nexus in six days."

From the glance Web had of the papers - Lenco had started moving independently, thinking of his own personal advancement rather than the bigger picture. The six days was a reasonable time frame for travel, considering the River Council may take that long to make a decision on the army - if Lenco hadn't asked others to make haste.

Straightening up, Web acknowledged the casters return blessing,

"The dragons are indeed a source of strength for all. Especially for the Black Heron at the edge of the pool of Wisdom." Web hoped that the fail-safe phrase would still work when used as part of another sentence. Though it most likely would confuse the caster since it wasn't a traditional acknowledgement.

[Lol I found a way of using the phrase in 'normal' conversation....]

Pheonix had recognized the caster's acknowledgement as a variation of a blessing used by the Immaculates. The original didn't exactly name Nexus as a mire...

She turned around on the other side of the doorway, standing next to Lenco to give the normal rote reply when Web gave her slightly odd reply. I really should have asked her what the 'fail-safe' was, or at least asked her for a signal I could recognize if there is trouble....

Lenco strode swiftly to the double doors and slammed them shut between the caster and Web, sealing Web, Pheonix and himself in the room. He turned on Web with an ashen face, eyes livid with a mixture of fear, obsession and anger.

He placed the Commander's rod under Web's chin to lift up her face and forced her to look him in the eye: "How do you know that name? How dare you utter it here?" He cast a venomous look in the direction of Pheonix. "Military aid? Thaumaturge and diplomatic attaché? Cow's dung! Spies, that is what you are!"

His voice had adopted a nasty shrillness and he sounded wholly insane now. "I will have you incarcerated and court marshalled. You are not worthy of wearing that uniform!" He grabbed a small whistle that hung on a silk cord around his neck and put it to his lips.

His eyes had changed: the whites and irises had gone completely and had turned frightningly black. So deep black, that it reminded Web of the Neverborn, yet looked alien to her in ways she dared not think about.

Edited by Biologist

[Going to assume caster is confused outside.... at least for now.]

The Caster was confused by the second part of Web's reply - the first part was easily understood. Even stranger than her words was the Commander's reaction.

He hesitated, curiosity warring with his sense of duty. He glanced at the message papers again and couldn't help wondering why Lenco had a few variants of essentially the same missive. Counting the lines he calculated the cost - both in Essence and Time to send them all.

With Lenco's rod under her chin, his insanity showing, Web decided to drop the timid Thamauturge act. Hopefully he could still see with those black eyes.

"How I know it and how dare I utter it have the same answer." Web replied, feeding a mote of Essence into her Caste Mark, causing the circle and dot symbol to display as a raw red welt, the blood welling up beneath the surface as beads.

"The answer is this. Recognize it?" She asked, drawing Lenco's attention from Pheonix to herself.

For a moment, Pheonix wondered if Web had, in fact, betrayed them in some way. Lenco's swift act at the phrase was not normal behaviour - though that was nothing on the oddness scale compared to the eyes.

Now she wondered what Lenco really was - no mortal could have eyes like that. Well, perhaps she'd get a chance to show what 'Military Aid' really meant - especially if that whistle called guards.

Lenco's attitude changed abruptly again, all hysteria disappeared as suddenly as it had reared its head and was replaced with a calmness befitting a Lookshyan Commander.

He whisked his commander's rod away from Web chin and said: "A Death Knight? The Neverborn want a hand in this as well? Then we are allies of sorts." He looked at Web and Pheonix, assuming they were both in on it, as Web had flashed her caste mark in the presence of the Terrestrial Exalted with impunity. "Does the 'Captain-that-wants-to-be-Chumyo' know about your true allegiance? Or is she just a dupe you manipulated to get the councils together?"

A malevolent grin spread on his face. "Why don't we sit down and discuss this new development in detail? I am sure our masters have some goals in common we can work towards together? What is it precisely that you are here for?" He gestured to his desk and two chairs in front of it.

He walked to the double doors and opened them, addressing the caster: "Wait here, your orders might change."

Edited by Biologist

Hanzo returned to the guest quarters for the Lookshyan officers, wrapped in a towel, carrying his washed uniform. He ignored the looks from the Nexian mercenaries as stoically as he could, but hurried inside. After hanging his uniform to dry - in this heat it should not take long - he made his way to his bed.

He was rather surprised to find a fresh set of clothes on his bed, but when he lifted the white silk up, he recognized the Chumyo's tunic: it wasn't grey and drenched in rust coloured blood stains anymore, but pristinely white, yet still torn at the side where the dagger had penetrated the armour.

There was a small piece of paper with his name on it attached to the bundle of white silk. I guess the Chumyo doesn't want me to go to bed after all. he thought, grinning. He might as well fix it: it wouldn't take long. He took the torn silk in his hands and started to inspect the damage. Within moments he was absorbed by the work, repairing the fabric with his essence alone, making it even better than the day it was woven. A soft light started spreading from his brow...

Since Pheonix knew of Web's Exaltation, she was able to not react in the normal manner one would expect upon seeing an Abyssal. She did raise her eyebrow at Lenco's second sudden switch in attitude, though it could be interpreted as a 'what-do-you-think?' action to the questions he came out with.

This assignment had certainly turned out differently to what had been expected. It would make for an interesting report later.... Pheonix let Web take the lead, since she was better with words.

Taking one of the indicated chairs, Pheonix waited for an indication from Web for her next orders.

Now she had Lenco's attention, Web smiled back, this certainly made it easier - Lenco in league with the Neverborn and their ilk could certainly play to an advantage.

"Perhaps there is a common goal we can work towards. The resurrection of the Seventh for example..." Web walked over to the other chair, while she mused on the whole situation, "Those I work for would see the Seventh raised, counter-intuitive as it may seem. A new Seventh would have a purpose - very similar to its original one, if under slightly different conditions." For one it would be reliant on the Provinces rather than having its own supply base.....

She looked over at Lenco to judge his reaction to her words so far... she hadn't lied.. at least not outright.

Lenco looked sceptical. "Resurrect the Seventh Legion? How is that going to help destabilize the River Province? If 'we' want to take power," - the commander used the word with caution - "a new Seventh Legion is not going to further those plans. It will give the people hope and a sense of security, while 'we' want the people to be vulnerable and ready to be conquered. Unless you want to start a civil war within the River Province with this new Seventh Legion, I don't see the merit of one. Unless I were to be the Chumyo and the High Commander of that army..."

Web grinned even wider, she had expected Lenco to be skeptical about the whole thing, and had thought of a likely scenario.

"That's the beauty of it. With Lookshy destroyed, the new Seventh would be dependent on all the Provinces. And you know how politics goes in this area - all the Provinces would want a share of the army - its power, how its used and how its run. In short - the Seventh becomes a bone of contention between the powers. Each Province will want to support the Seventh to improve their position, in the hopes of controlling it... How long do you think it would be til the Provinces argue about the allocation of their combined resources?"

Web paused to gather her thoughts, and to see what effect her words were having.

"In the meantime, the one beneficiary is the Seventh - slowly, but surely becoming a force to be reckoned with.... when the political maneuvers fracture the tenuous peace between the Provinces, the Seventh will be the only real power left standing. Besides why stop at destabilizing the River Provinces when there is a combined force that consists of the best the area has to offer? Outside influences could do that job for us.... no-one likes their military position challenged after all."

Web thought that the main outside influence would be the Realm - the Empress had already discarded concern for collateral in striking Lookshy itself. She wouldn't like a new Seventh.

It did scare her how easily the idea came as well as the words, she could only hope Pheonix trusted her enough not to do anything rash....

If Lenco was convinced of the Seventh - then he wouldn't oppose the proposal in council. Web had a feeling that the harder task would be to convince Lenco of the need for a 'fair' vote on the leadership - plus getting him to agree to leaving Shaya to her own devices afterwards....

Pheonix paid attention to the words - she didn't want to miss her cue. That is if Web intended on giving her one.... from the sounds of it, Web was in her element. Though as yet, Web hadn't given Lenco any more information than he could have probably worked out for himself. Plus everything she picked up here would be useful and interesting for her Report to Shaya afterwards.

Normally, Pheonix would have acted under the assumption that Web was a traitor, but she did have Shaya's parting words in mind. In particular the ones about not letting Lenco play on her mistrust of Web. So she held her tongue and her movements in check - for now at least. If it got Lenco under control and on 'their' side, she wasn't about to blow it.

Lenco seemed to weigh Web's words carefully, creating a moment of uncomfortable silence. "So what you are saying is:", he said, finally opening his mouth. "We give the provinces hope by proposing a new army to keep them safe. Yet we use that army to strengthen ourselves and sow dissent between the provinces by its mere existence. So that we, ultimately, when the tensions between the provinces have flared into hostility and perhaps open warfare, swipe in to take over the control of the entire River Province, subjugating the people to the will of the New Seventh Legion and its master. Am I correct in this assumption?"

He gave Web a hard look.

"It is ambitious. What is in it for the Neverborn? You already have two footholds in the region? And I remind you that the main goal should be the gain of power, not the destruction of Creation. Without my influence in the Councils, your plan is doomed to fail. Shall we discuss terms?" His smile was as venomous as the sweet nectar of the spider orchid. Lenco felt at the top of his game.

It was obvious he worked for a third party of considerable power that he could mention the Neverborn so casually.

((Takhesis, are you waiting for me to post? Since Shaya (shower and rehearse speech) and Mia (asleep) don't have much to do at the moment, I'm happily reading along with the LencoxWebxPheonix interaction smile.gif.))

(( I'm just trying to recover from sitting exams in high-twenties weather. It was nearly 30 degrees at the start of one of them.... too warm to think.))

Web nodded,

"That is in essence the situation." At least, the potential is there for it to happen without any guiding hands anyway.

She looked directly at Lenco, trying not to let the implications of who and what his boss was unnerve her. A being powerful enough that the name of the Neverborn was bandied so easily - that was a scary thought. The sweet poison-filled smile was easier to ignore in terms of reaction.

"What terms did you have in mind?" Web asked, thinking she might as well see what she could deduce from the requests. She didn't answer his question on gain for the Neverborn - mainly as that could be assumed to be access to or at least a pact of non-interference from the new army.

Pheonix hadn't picked up on the subtle indications - diplomacy wasn't her forte. Though she did seem to pay more attention to the ongoing negotiations - the fate of the army did interest her. Plus she was still thinking of how to phrase the report to Shaya - she didn't think Shaya would give Web too much leeway and room for doubt - and Web could still double-cross them through these talks.

"That is in essence the situation." At least, the potential is there for it to happen without any guiding hands anyway.

((What situation are you referring to? Just to clear it up for me biggrin.gif))

Lenco was not afraid to bring his demands forward. He was accustomed to aggressive negotiations. "My demands? I want to rule the River Province. So when we set up the new Seventh, it will have to be done in such a way that I will take command at some point. Whether at first your fake Chumyo is the straw puppet and I take over after an unfortunate accident, or I become Chumyo right away is negotiable. What do you say?"

He reached for a large decanter and some cups, then he looked at them as if remembering the rules of hospitality and turned to his guests: "Would you like some khaf?"

((The Seventh becoming an issue among the Provinces - politics will, most likely cause problems. )

Web considered Lenco's main demand. That of becoming Chumyo. The offer of Khaf saved her an immediate answer.

Pheonix accepted the offer of Khaf - saying her first words since the negotiations started,

"If its that exquisite blend that was served earlier then I'd be delighted to have a cup."

"I'd like a cup as well. I find it eases the negotiations." Web agreed, then she went back to Lenco's terms.

"That should be doable - although to convince the other sections of legitimacy, the gaining of the title would have to be done carefully..." Web paused as if thinking on how that could be achieved. "Perhaps by having all surviving section heads having a vote on Chumyo? With all nominations and candidates having equal consideration?"

She was hoping Lenco wouldn't argue too much - after all, she figured that his boss wouldn't want too much attention drawn by someone acting too fast/rashly.

((Does Web use any powers of persuasion i.e. Charms? Or is she batting her eyelashes really vigorously? smile.gif )) Edited by Biologist

Padding on bare feet across the court yard, Shaya made her way to the Officers' showers. She hadn't seen the soldiers' showers, but if the Bronze Tiger Barracks were anything like Lookshy, then the main difference between Officers' and soldiers' accommodations would be a slight increase in privacy (mostly resultant from there being less Officers than soldiers to share the space) and, if she were lucky, a better ratio of hot water.

She carried a soap bar in her hand. It smelled of exotic Southern flowers and spices; she had bought it from a Chiaroscuran trader docking in Lookshy and it was one of the few luxuries she afforded herself. Clutched in the same hand was a simply wooden comb of Lookshyan make.

As she entered the showers, she saw they were empty - hardly surprising given the time of night. After spending more than a week cooped up with her squad in close quarters, first in the Underworld and then in the Bronze Tiger barracks, she relished the momentary solitude before stepping into a stall. She selected the one in the back, hoping that any other shower-goers would select a front stall and not intrude on her rare moment alone.

Unwrapping her towel, Shaya proceeded to take her hair down from its topknot. After more than a week of sweating, fighting and bleeding, her long black hair remained solidly put and it wasn't until she had pulled it down and run her fingers through it several times to untangle the worst, that it started to resemble something like hair again. She turned on the water and waited a moment for it to reach its proper temperature, before holding her hand under it. She sighed contently when it proved to be hot indeed; like all soldiers, Shaya was perfectly fine bathing in ice-water if the need arose, but she preferred warmth. Stepping under the water completely, she rubbed the soap over her hair and started to lather up.

--------

((No post for Mia, as she - unlike all the others - is solidly asleep xd.png. I'll have her wake up and explore Nexus in my next post though; she might not be up and about in the middle of the night, but she does strike me as an early bird.))

Edited by Mistress of Whispers

Mia woke up early; it was still a little before dawn, but she felt well-rested despite her nightmare and decided to rise regardless of the hour. She had ordered a room with 'bath', which in Nexus meant a large bowl of lukewarm water and a clean cloth, so she carefully washed off the dirt and sweat from her journey. After that, she combed her long hair and tied it in an elaborate braid which still hung to her hip. Putting on pants and a tunic - sleeveless, because of the 'heat' in the East - she was ready to face the day.

Her room also came with breakfast, but a quick look at the greasy plates filled with unidentifiable but foul-smelling goo in the common room, persuaded her to try her luck in the market place. Surely the busiest market in the River Province must have something resembling food? Besides, perhaps she could pick up some information about the Chumyo, her entourage and her current plans and location while she was at it.

She dropped by Helios, her intelligent Haltan san-Horse, to make sure he was well taken care of, before making her way through the already crowded streets to the market. She kept a hand on her purse, all the while remaining alert for any other ill-to-do's; Nexus' reputation proceeded itself.

As the sun rose above the trees of the East, the city changed noticeably. The streets were always busy and there were always people out and about, but the daylight made it more vibrant and alive. Smells were sharper, sounds more clear and faces more bright. Stalls and hawkers presented their wares in fierce competition, doormen shouted for people to come in with promises of fulfilling their wildest dreams and the sounds of smithies and other craft rung out in the clear early morning air.

Mia stood out in the crowd of Nexians and Easterners and was quickly the focal point of many a salesman. After turning down real looking, but obviously fake artifacts, fruits from wyldborn Fae Trees and intelligent pets that could predict the weather, she was beset upon by a group of small children, all age 6 and younger. They surrounded her, gawking at her clothes and braid, chattering loudly how beautiful she was and how clean looking. Small hands touched Mia's hand on her purse, but before they could take anything a lean kid came in and chased the children off with a stick and quite a few profanities. The kid, lean and thin, clothed in typical Nexian garb for the poor, and covered in a fine cake of dirt smiled. It could be a boy *or* a girl, no older than eleven. In a thickly accented low Realm the kid said: "Are you allright, Lady?" The stick was resting on the bony shoulder in a relaxed way. "New to Nexus? Do you need a guide?"

Mia looked at the child. He, or she, was clearly a local and to be honest, the Northerner could do with a guide. Even Whitewall, one of the North's largest city, was not as crowded as this.

"Yes" she said. "I was hoping to purchase some food. Simple items; bread, cheese and fruit. After that I might have other placed to go. I will, of course, pay you for your services as guide."

She studied the child intently, trying to discern a gender from their voice and she carefully read their stance for any hostile or treacherous intentions.

The child smiled broadly. "You won't regret it, Lady. I know the best places to get good grubb. Follow me."

Most probably a boy.

"If I am to be your guide, I'll introduce myself. You can call me Stick.". He glanced at the stick on his shoulder. "It'll keep the flies away." He barked a short laugh at his own joke and led Mia through a series of streets, smells and sounds changing from smoky industry to foodstuffs and wine, until they ended up on a small courtyard with a few tables and chairs on one side and a doorway to a small market square on the other where she could see stalls with fruit and she smelled freshly baked bread.

"Have you had breakfast yet?" The unfamiliarity of the word to Stick was obvious. "They have excellent breakfast here, typical Nexian, not the ground pig bone stew they serve at the inns." Stick guestured to a table. A rotund woman had emerged from a beaded curtain and smiled invitingly. "And very affordable."

Mia couldn't suppress the thought that Stick was getting a commission for this if she agreed to have breakfast here..

Mia looked from Stick to the woman. She had no objections to him making a commission - that was common practice for guides in every major city she had visited - as long as he didn't take her to inferior locales because of it. Still, the fresh bread smelled good and the woman looked friendlier than most Nexians she had met.

"Then we'll have breakfast here. I'll buy for both of us. Something light for me. And wine." She had seen the rivers running through and near Nexus and she had no intention of drinking the water here.

"How would that cost?"

She spoke Low Common to Stick, to avoid giving away that she understood the local tongue. It would be a good test to see if she could trust him. If she could, then he might serve as a guide in the rest of her visit. If she couldn't, then a wasted breakfast was hardly the worst that could happen and she would know to drop him.

Stick looked pleased when Mia offered to buy him breakfast as well. The woman nodded and asked a very reasonable price. The only thing the woman said to Stick was a "You lucky brat." with a kindness that revealed a longstanding profitable working relationship. She went inside the house, through the beaded curtain, while Stick took a seat at the small table and started up conversation.

Not long after, the woman came back with an unopened bottle of wine and two glasses. The smells wafting through the curtain when she walked through were excellent. Mia did not have to wait long for breakfast and was presented with a deliciously smelling plate of breadrolls: thinly baked bread, rolled around vegetables, beans and egg, with small pieces of white cheese and a fresh sauce that gave her a kick.

Stick didn't let his food get a chance to get cold and stuffed the rolls in his mouth with an appetite. With a full mouth he said: "Bst bwekfst 'n N'xus. Best food." After that he ate in silence, licking his plate clean.

It was a good start of the day...

Edited by Biologist