lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

Ella still had her head turned to Zeke as she listened to Tybalt and Leon talk. Her shoulders dropped when Tybalt said he couldn’t accommodate Zeke, and she grimaced slightly when he mentioned the one possibility, for the thought of being in his room still somewhat frightened her. However, when Leon so casually talked about killing people, her heart started to race, and she gave Zeke a determined look as she decided that if it meant getting Zeke away from that man, she would do whatever she had to. As Tybalt suggested certain days, she gave Zeke a look that encouraged him to say yes… It would do for a start, and it would give them time to come up with a more permanent solution.

"It's okay, I'm staying with you. I'm not going anywhere. I promise, okay?" Maddi said softly, rubbing Sam's back. "We should do something fun," she suggested. "You could use some fun. What kind of thing do you like doing? I never did a lot at Kinlea's besides read, and that's more of a one-man thing, ya' know? So I'll do whatever you feel like doing." Maddi continued hugging him as she spoke, not intending to let go untill he was ready.

Sam nodded and sniffed, adjusting himself so he lay his head against her shoulder and could still see her. God she was nice. Why had he never met her before? "I like video games," he said after a moment, congratulating himself when his voice didnMt shake. For now he was all cried out, and maybe his depression wasn't magically gone, but he was doing better than he had in a while.

"Thats great! Or- I think its great. I've seen a couple. Never actually played one myself. I had a dream I was playing one once though, I was this sort of demon thing and I had to protect all these ducks. But I fot bored and the ducks were mean so I played a video game instead. It was weird." Maddi said. "So what kind of video games? Are they like the fighting kind or are they more like the Mario whatever kind or the... what other kinds of video games are there?" She asked, realizing just how lacking she was in that particular field. "I really don't know a lot about those." She stated finally, pulling away from the hug to look at Sam. She smiled and shrugged. "So I'll just have to get you to teach me! I'm not letting you be sad or gloomy till I'm fully educated in the vast and beautiful world of digital entertainment! If you're all depressed while telling me about them then I'll assume they aren't fun. So you have to smile, kay?"

Sam couldn't help but crack a smile at her wild manner of speaking, even if it was only a tiny one. "Okay. Well, I have a lot, but.. I don't really wanna play the fighting ones right now," he said quietly, knowing the sight of blood would not bode well for him. "I have Mario Kart, y'wanna play that?" He asked, sitting up a little straighter. Someone to play video games with! He'd never had that before either.

Maddi's smile grew. "Oooh, Mario Kart. Well aren't we getting fancy!" She said happily. "Sure, lets do it!" She agreed, jumping up off the couch and walking over to the tv. She managed to get the game set up and everything after several unsuccessful tries. A remote was tossed in Sam's direction and landed on the seat next to him. "So, how is it done? How do I win?" Maddi asked.

Sam slipped into geek mode, the prospect of teaching someone how to play pushing his sad thoughts away for now. "Well, you hold the remote like this. Then you hold this button to go, and tilt it like a steering wheel to win. Three laps and then whoever is in front wins," he explained, going through the settings.

"In that case, I'm totally winning this thing!" Maddi exclaimed, plopping down onto the couch beside him. It seemed easy enough. All she had to do was stay ahead of everyone else. She held the remote as instructed and waited for the race to start.

Snorting, Sam chose a track and sat up straighter, ready to go. "You're on," he challenged, grinning as the light went green and his driver shot off like a rocket. He expertly weaved around obstacles and turns, his sadness apparently forgotten. Not permanently of course, but still an improvement.

"Hey!" Maddi cried as he passed her as her driver kinda just sat there as the kart swayed back and forth for no apparent reason. "Why is my little car thingy doing that?!" She cried. When it finally stopped, Maddi pressed the gas button and started driving trying to catch up to Sam. "What are those?" She asked, as she drove passed a line of power up blocks. Okay, so maybe it wasn't as easy as she thought it would be. And she kept crashing into walls.

"Don't hold the button until the light turns green, otherwise you'll do that," Sam answered without looking up, turning around another corner. "Break the glowing box and you get a power up, then just press the button on the back of the control to use it- like this," he snickered, throwing a red shell backwards at her.

"Hey!" Maddi yelled as her player was hit with the shell. And right as she had gotten the hang of it too. She smashed into a power-up block of her own. "That was cruel," she added, using one of her triple mushroom head things that make you go really fast.

Tybalt looked between the two. "Is there any way the two of them could keep in contact? We really must be going..." He sighed and wrote his number on a sheet of paper. "Here is my number. Text me whatever communication I can easily reach him at." He got up and looked like he wanted to leave. "Ella, say goodbye please."

Edited by lycrawaterz14

"These streets will chew you up and spit you out. You gotta be tough, learn the law of the kart," Sam replied in a mock serious voice, trying to block her by weaving back and forth. This was really nice. It helped him forget all the awfulness inside of him, if only for a moment.

(Heh, they're gonna come back and Rachel's gonna be like '... You guys were gone?')

No! she silently pleaded, but with a small hitch in her voice she said, “Yes, Sir.” Giving Zeke a final squeeze, she whispered, “Be safe.” Releasing her brother, she looked into his eyes with tears brimming in hers, but then she dropped her head as she retrieved the box of doughnuts from the table. Taking her proper place behind her master, she kept her head down to try to hide the tears she was fighting back as she waited to follow Tybalt out.

Leaving the doughnut shop, Ella couldn’t shake the feeling that something terrible was going to happen, and that she’d never see Zeke again. Resisting the urge to run back to her brother, she squeezed her eyes shut as she tried to clear the lump in her throat. “As you say, Sir,” she managed to agree in an almost neutral tone.

"Ell..." He squeezed her hand. "You will." Tybalt felt horrid, but he was on the verge of an anxiety attack and needed to get out of there ASAP. He didn't experience them often, butw en he did they were long and embarrassing. He did not want to be in pubic for that.

When Tybalt squeezed her hand, Ella didn’t turn her head, but her eyes shifted to their hands. Though part of her was grateful for the bit of comfort, another part wished that the hand holding hers belonged to her brother. Why? She wanted to ask, why can’t he come with us? Why do we have to leave? Why is that man his master? Why…? However, that last why was full of dangerous questions, and it wasn’t her place to ask, so she quickly put an end to that train of thought, and letting her gaze slide back to the ground, she simply said, “Yes, Sir.”

Tybalt got into the car and tossed the doughnuts next to him. He had his hands on his head, and was breathing quickly, beginning to panic.

As Ella got into the car, she noticed Tybalt’s labored breathing, and was reminded of an asthma attack one of the children used to get. Worried that that was what was going on, she pushed her unimportant problems aside for the moment, and glancing toward him with concern, she tentatively asked, “Sir, are y- What do you need me to do?”

"Can you drive?" He asked, his voice having no emotion. He wasn't trying to calm down, but to feel nothing at all. He didn't want to worry, and he didn't know what was happening. His chest hurt, and he was trying to make it all stop. The world seemed to be spinning faster that he wanted it to, and the gravity of it hurt. He closed his eyes and tried to block everything out.

((I'm so sorry I haven't been active, but I can't seem to see a post were I can jump in. It seems Aria's slave died on her.))

Tybalt’s tone put Ella on the alert as she realized that he wasn’t having an asthma attack. Hazarding a glance at him, she wondered what was going on as she cautiously started, “I…Forgive me, Sir, but I was never trained to drive. I have watched how it’s done though,” she added quickly. She didn’t really think that just watching would have been enough to know how to drive, but if that was an order, she’d simply have to it.