lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

Five Parr. Well, that wasn't exactly a bunch of money, but in a way it made her feel better. She couldn't explain it, but she just didn't want someone spending so much money on her. The bid ended quickly, and she was pulled from the viewing stage down to the floor in front so that the man who had bought her could collect once he had paid. She chanced a fleeting look and decided it couldn't be so bad. After all, he was young. And it seemed he already had a slave.. strange, but who was she to argue?

Tybalt headed up quickly and just pulled her away from the others. He put her into his car rather roughly, making a terrible first impression.

"Watch her." He barked at Ella, heading out on a walk.

Rachel's eyes widened in surprise as she was shoved into an expensive car, chains rattling the only noise that came from her. Yelping could get you beaten, if the sound displeased your current master. He.. maybe she had been wrong. Smoothing her worn dress down, she folded her hands in her lap and sat looking at them. It wasn't like her to be chatty, and being forced into close proximity with someone was unnerving. She was used to speaking when spoken to, anyway.

Ella was relieved when Tybalt bid on the girl, but then had to force herself not to recoil at the look the other man gave her. She was glad that this girl had been spared the fate of being owned by him, but was feeling guilty about the others that she couldn’t help.

She was once again glad that they left quickly, for she didn’t think she could bear to see the unfortunate one who ended up being bought by him. However, as she followed him out, she couldn’t help but wonder at his sudden change again. “Yes Sir,” she said as he walked away, and once they were alone, she looked at the girl, and meekly said, “Hi.”

((Was Ella put into the car as well, or is she standing outside? Wasn't sure...))

Edited by starphyre77

Rachel tilted her head up a fraction to look at Ella, but her posture screamed submission. Even around other slaves she was shy and meek, letting others assume control so she could simply do what she was told. "Hello," she said softly, the phrase left hanging in the open air. She was terrible at holding a conversation unless she was being asked a question, really.

Tybalt had retreated to an alley, panicking. He hated this. That man... That manthatmanthatman... He punched a trash can.

Ella looked at the girl, and saw herself; a few years younger perhaps, but same posture, same situation, same uncertainty. “I’m Ella,” she said in a meek voice. This girl was an unknown… Would she be nice once she got over the shock of the auction block? Would they be friends?... Maybe, maybe not. She hoped so, but she was determined that they at least be equals.

Rachel dipped her head slightly in acknowledgement, looking at her without really meeting her gaze. "I'm Rachel," she said quietly, her hands twisting nervously in the fabric of her dress. The nicest thing she'd ever owned. The question of where their master had gone burned in her stomach, but she did not ask. She didn't like to speak of her own accord.

Though she was trying, Ella was never really one to initiate a conversation with someone she didn’t know - you never know who might be a snitch – so she didn’t have any idea what to do next. Though she was curious about Rachel, she wasn’t going to pry, and she wasn’t up to delving into her past either, so she sat in silence for a little. “I’m new here too, but if you have any questions…I’ll answer what I can,” she said at last.

Rachel blinked in surprise as thought she had forgotten the other girl was there during the long silence. Now looking at her hands once more, she bit her lip and nodded. She hesitated for a moment, but she couldn't help it, she had to know. "Is.. is he kind?" She asked silently, her voice barely a whisper.

((Psh, Rachel could've been her slave but I didn't know you needed one.. you should have said something))

It was, in Ella’s mind an understandable concern, but thinking of the events of the previous night, Ella wasn’t entirely sure how to answer. “So far…For the most part…Yes,” she said, and was going to leave it at that direct answer, but decided to hazard to elaborate. “He didn’t punish me when I know I deserved it, and he actually apologized to me…twice. I was so shocked the first time that I feinted.” She gave a weak smile, and her ears turned pink from embarrassment. She paused for another moment, and then said, “However, if I have failed in my duty to keep him out of the winery…well… he told me that I ‘shouldn't get too close’ when he’s ‘like that.’” She fell silent again, and lowered her head in shame. Had she gone too far? She shouldn’t have spoken about her master like that.

Edited by starphyre77

Rachel's eyes widened a tiny fraction, giving a barely perceptible nod. He seemed kind enough, but strange, and she was surprised that the other slave had spoken so loosely of their master. She wasn't a rat or anything, but she certainly didn't have the courage to say those things herself. Sensing the girl's embarrassment and shame, she hesitated for another span of time before reaching out and touching her arm gently. She wasn't good with physical contact either unless it was hair or make up, so this was a first for her. "Thank you," she said quietly, dropping her hand back into her lap. That felt strange.

Ella was so lost in her thoughts, that she was startled when Rachel touched her arm. Managing to contain her reaction to a slight twitch, she looked at the hand on her arm, and then glanced sideways to Rachel and, with a slightly sad smile, said, “You’re welcome.” Lapsing into another silence, she wondered if she should let Rachel know that casual physical contact seemed to be normal to him. Maybe if she was prepared for it, the other girl wouldn’t be as jumpy as she had been. She took a breath to tell her, but ended up just holding it for a moment and then releasing it as a sigh. She just didn’t know if she could risk saying more.

Rachel just nodded, her hands twisting in the fabric of her white dress. She was hoping her new master wouldn't take her dress and shoes away, because they were all she had. More importantly, it was all she had of Dawn Knight, the only person who had seemingly cared for her. Everyone is important to me, Rachel. Some people are just less fortunate. She missed Dawn dearly; she ducked her head to hide her shame. She had no right to wish for her old master again, and it was wrong for her to spurn her new master.

Tybalt came back and slammed the door to his car, starting his car. "You ready? We're leaving." He growled. His knuckles were bloody as he clutched the steering wheel. He was tense, and seemed incredibly angry.

Rachel flinched slightly as he entered the car and slammed it, not to mention he was bleeding. "Of course sir," she said in a hollow whisper, as was her duty. She wanted to reach out with her handkerchief and wipe the blood away, but was terrified of being struck. She'd never had an aggressive master like this.

"I could have killed that man... He's coming to the auction more and more often. I think he's cycling through them. Buying girls, using them as he pleases and then selling, only to buy new ones. And there's NOTHING I can do without proof." He sounded like he was hurt. "I hate watching those girls get hurt. I've saved both of you, but I can't save them all." He started to drive, looking like he might cry.

"I don't mean to scare you..."

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Rachel swallowed the lump in her throat. So she had been that close to being a toy for some man? She shuddered slightly; everyone knew that some people used slaves like that, but it was scary to think she had almost been used. Still, whatever this master said he had or hadnt meant to do, she was scared. He was violent and bleeding -was it his blood?- and all she could feel was fear towards him. Still, she could not show her fear, for that might anger him. Instead she gave a tiny nod, reaching out with a worn handkerchief to wipe blood from his knuckles. She wouldn't look at him, but at least she could control herself enough not to shake.

His knuckles were bleeding, even though Rachel wiped it off. "Thank you." He murmured, and pat her hand with his spare one. "I'm glad I at least saved you two. And I'm sorry I'm being so scary... If you are afraid, Rachel... I'm sure I know of a better mistress than I. She would take care of you. I don't want you to fear me. It is your choice." He grinned at Ella. "Sorry Ella, but I believe I made you a promise to help you find your brother, and you have to stick with me for that."

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Rachel blinked several times before turning her head away, giving a small head shake. "N-no sir," she said shakily, toying with the bloody cloth in her hands. It was a trick, he would beat her if she said she wanted a different master. She was not allowed to be afraid. Even though she wanted to cry, she did not take him up on his offer. She only cried when she was alone, so that at least she had something of her own. Even if they were tears.

"Rachel, if you really want to change masters, if I truly make you afraid, this is your chance. I'm not a horrible master, by all means, Ella can tell you. But I still don't want you to be unhappy..."

Rachel shook her head furiously, clenching her eyes shut. "It's not about what I want or what makes me happy," she said, her voice tight and hitching unsteadily. Already she was waiting to be struck for speaking out. It didnt matter what she wanted. She was inferior. This was not up to her. She would shut her mouth and do what she was told. These are the things that were drilled into her before Dawn Knight had bought her, before her previous master had gotten bored with beating her and left her on the street. There was a criss-cross pattern of scars on her back from the lash of a whip, each one a painful reminder of how she should act.

"Well, forget about that for a moment. I won't hit you, ever. You're string this opportunity... Don't swat it away out of fear." Tybalt frowned.

Rachel didnt say anything. She was too broken to give the offer a second thought, or to want for herself. Idly she wondered if her silence would be taken as insolence. She still wasnt convinced that he wouldn't hit her; her head was still turned away, her eyes closed.