lycrawaterz14

Of Slaves and Royals

Tybalt sighed and didn't press her anymore. "Offer still stands. You will have to spend the night in my room, I don't mean that in a perverted way. I've had too many people run away from me, and I won't have two that I paid for do the same." he seemed disgruntled.

Rachel gave a tiny nod, but that was it. He had given her a terrible impression, and her imagination was going to great lengths to show her what he could and would do to her. It had never occurred to her to run away, or if it had, she would never act on it. She wasnt a rebel or anything like that. But, it seemed like she wouldn't be given any time to herself that night. Her tears would have to wait then. Bottled up.

Ella was also frightened by Tybalt, and as they drove away, she was starting to doubt her earlier words about him being nice. However, he then started to calm down, and she started to wonder if this would have been one of those times when they shouldn’t get too close. Of course, they couldn’t exactly put distance between them in the cramped car. When he explained why he was upset, she began to understand the feeling though not why he felt it. There’s nothing you could do with proof either, she thought.

She listened in silence to the exchange between Tybalt and Rachel, and when he offered Rachel a new master, she had mixed feelings about having to “stick” with him. He was definitely going to keep her on her toes. Still, she couldn’t help but feel bad for Rachel as she could almost feel the fear rolling off the poor girl. As they rode in silence, she found herself wanting to reach out and take Rachel’s hand, but slaves weren’t supposed to show that kind of kindness to each other… at least not in front of their master.

"I'm sorry, girls." He whimpered. "I just... Tell you what. I'll let you go shop or something. There's a secure slave store, I'll give you about three hundred Parr and let you pick some things you like. Girls like shopping... Right? And since freedom freaks you out, Ella, you're buying for Rachel, find out what she likes and what colors look good on her. Rachel, you do the same for her." He said, attempting to fix the situation. "Is that something... Good...?"

Edited by lycrawaterz14

Rachel's eyes widened slightly; again she was faced with the prospect of freedom, which actually sort of scared her. How was she supposed to think for herself? He had given her orders, though, which helped a little. "I.. Sir, I will do as you ask, but.. I am not used to shopping for pleasure," she said softly, her eyes flickering towards him. "If you want me to.."

"Psh, this isn't for pleasure. I hate shopping. This is a nessesity. I am not purchasing these items." He refused, and darted onto another street.

"O-of course, sir," Rachel replied, utterly confused. So she was being ordered to buy clothes for herself? It was like deja vu. Absently she ran her hand over the fabric of her dress, the very special dress from Dawn that she cherished.

Shopping? Ella wasn’t too sure what to think of the order. Her only experience with shopping had been to carry the purchases that the mistress made, and those were often long and unpleasant experiences. Still, she’d been ordered to pick out some clothes for Rachel, and that meant she was going shopping. “Yes Sir,” was all she said, but she glanced at Rachel, and thought, Hopefully, we can make this quick.

He came to a stop and walked out, taking the girls by the wrist and bringing them into the shop. It seemed nice enough... Just... Not quality clothing. "Two hours please, and two dressing rooms." He looked at the clerk and she nodded, going to the dressing rooms and writing the girls names on them. "There you go." The female clerk smiled at the two. Tybalt nodded. "You two play nice, alright? I'll be back then."

Rachel opened her mouth in surprise as her wrist was grabbed, but didn't protest. Two hours of shopping for someone else and herself. "Thank you," she said quietly, because she felt that she needed to.

Ella didn’t resist when he grabbed her, and brought them into the shop, but she was a little surprised that he was going to leave them there for two hours. “Yes Sir, and yes, thank you,” she said almost as quietly as Rachel had.

Tybalt made his way to the car and pulled out rather quickly. He seemed like he was going somewhere.

Rachel studied her feet, slightly apprehensive. "I guess we should start," she said quietly, still not good at talking to people. The store and freedom made her anxious, like she shouldn't be there. Still, Tybalt scared her more than that, so she preferred it here.

“We should,” Ella agreed, but taking a quick glance around, she noticed that the clerk seemed to be giving them some time to adjust, and was busying herself away from them. She briefly glanced back to Rachel, and then lowered her gaze again. Tybalt had thrown a lot at them, and while she couldn’t see a way to ease all of their fears, she thought she might be able to help ease Rachel’s mind on one.

With a heavy sigh, she quietly said, “I spent the night in his room last night. At first, I was terrified of…” she paused, unable to put the fear into words. Figuring that she didn’t really need to, she said, “He gave me permission to sleep on the floor, but then brought in a mattress for me to sleep on.”She cautiously reached out and held Rachel’s hand. “I’m not going to say there’s nothing to be afraid of,” she said as she gave her hand a gentle squeeze, “but I truly feel we don’t need to fear…that.”

Rachel glanced around the store without really looking, not taking interest in anything. Clothes were just that to a slave- clothes. They were not for fashion, not for want, not for appearance. They covered you so that you were not naked; whether or not it matched or looked good was of little consequence.

Ella's voice made her turn her head, eyes wide and round with fear. She expected to be given a story about how he had touched and used her. Apparently he hadn't, but.. But that meant nothing. Lifting her gaze uncertainly as Ella took her hand, Rachel couldn't help the tightening of her throat. She didn't have to fear that. But it was never her fear to begin with. "I.. It scares me, to think about.. But that's not what I'm really afraid of," she whispered, taking some comfort in the older girl's hand. "It's been so long since I was beaten.. I- I'm not ready for it again," she whimpered.

Ella didn’t know what to say to that. Sure, he’d said that he wouldn’t beat them, but a slave can’t expect the master to keep promises. “He didn’t beat me when I probably deserved it,” she said meekly, and her head hung in shame as she thought of how badly she’d messed up the previous day. “I can’t say it won’t happen, but it seems to take a lot to get to that punishment... That may give us the chance to correct our behavior in time to prevent it…” She didn’t sound too hopeful, but they could at least try.

Rachel bit her lip, her eyes stinging. She couldn't let herself go here. "It.. It wasnt about my behavior last time, either," she managed. Her old master was a drunk, and when he got angry, she got the lash. Even if she hadn't done anything wrong. Pulling her hand away, she shook herself and muttered something about needing to start before starting to walk off. She felt that she had said too much.

Ella was confused by Rachel’s response. She’d always been told that slaves get the punishment that they deserve, so if it wasn’t about her behavior, how could she have done anything to deserve it? Of course, she didn’t know what she’d done to deserve being beaten by Mistress Montague either…

When Rachel walked away, Ella started to wander for a bit while idly looking at the clothes on the racks. Remembering that they were supposed to pick for each other, she wondered if Rachel had a favored color as well. Walking over to her, she leaned in and whispered one of her secrets, “I like dark green.” Standing straight, she waited to see if Rachel would tell her if she liked any colors.

Rachel wandered down the aisles, running her hand over fabric idly. She didn't care at this point, she just wanted to go- well, not home, but somewhere. Glancing over her shoulder at Ella as she whispered something, she turned away for a moment. When she turned back, there was a green top in her hands that would fit her nicely without displaying too much. Wordlessly she held it out, offering nothing in return in terms of her own preferences. She had none, only the fact that Dawn said she looked good in white.

“Thank you,” she said, but looked a little downcast when Rachel didn’t say anything, but she wasn’t going to push her by asking directly. “I’m sorry, but I’m afraid I don’t know anything about fashion, or matching colors, or what looks good on people, or frankly, shopping,” she said with uncertainty. “So, any help would be really appreciated.”

Rachel looked away, toying with the hem of her dress. She felt so young -and really, wasn't 15 young?- and helpless in this situation. "Miss Knight said I looked good in white," she said quietly, looking down at herself. "But I like my dress. I don't want another one." It felt as though taking this off would be like removing any trace of Dawn Knight, the kind mistress, from her life. Then she would be left with the permanent scars of a cruel master, and a knew one that scared her terribly.

Ella gave a kind and understanding smile, and as she walked around rifling through some racks, she said, “Young Master Ben had a favorite shirt that he wore every day. Unfortunately, it quickly got to be so worn and tattered that it was un-wearable, and ended up in the rag bin.” She pulled a shirt from a rack, and walked back to Rachel saying, “It doesn’t have to be a dress, but why don’t we get you some more clothes to choose from, so your dress doesn’t end up the same way?” She held up a white t-shirt with a small pink flower printed on the lower right, and asked, “What do you think?” She knew it was a little risky asking for her opinion, but she really wanted to pick something that the younger girl would like.

Rachel thought about it for a moment, Realizing that her dress was already starting to look worn. She didn't want it thrown away! Looking at the shirt, she nodded silently. It seemed like something she shouldn't be able to have, but she did like the flower on if.

Tybalt was digging up dirt. He had to acquire the girl's paperwork and registration... And there were some interesting details. Mistress Montague?! And she hadn't even told him... And that poor Rachel girl... This would make her at least third master... Oh well.

"Would you like to register a breeding as well?" The man at the counter asked. He blinked. "Nah... Not now... WAIT... could I locate a male through this system...?" Tybalt looked excited. The man blinked. "I suppose... Who would you be looking for?" Tybalt grinned. "Ella's brother."

Ella smiled again when Rachel nodded, and then she turned back to the racks, and said, “Maybe we should get some warm clothes too… Hmm, sweatshirts or sweaters?” she mused as she looked back to Rachel. “Or how about a cardigan? That way you could also wear with your dress if you wanted.”