HeatherMarie

"Delete" and/or "block" certain events

BIG HUGE EDIT

I've been told I came off too aggressive in this first post, so I'm going to try to explain in a simpler manner what my suggestion is and why. (I will leave the original post just for clarity).

It has been expressed, by multiple different people, that they would have preferred to not participate in this flowers event, or that they don't like the flowers they are getting. It is my experience, since first starting to DragonCave, that most users like to have as many options as possible when it comes to their scroll. We have the option to breed/not-breed, to raise or ignore certain species, to not accept trades, even the option of how to sort our dragons on our scroll.

For the minority of users who *don't* care for the "receiving random 'gifts' from random users' type of event, I wanted to suggest a way to "delete" or "opt-out" of the event. A way to say "no thanks, I don't want to participate in this type of event".

I'm sorry if I've sounded rude or aggressive, and I'm sorry if people have gotten the impression that I hate the flowers or that this is all about me (both of which have been mentioned in this thread). None of those things are true.

It's simply about choices. If there are multiple people on the forum who have expressed the idea of *choosing* whether or not to take part in these events, or the people who have complained about the flowers they got, how many other users are there who feel that same way but *haven't* posted?

I honestly don't see this suggestion as a big deal, and I'm sorry that this thread has turned out this way. To me, it feels like a very simple, very easy suggestion, to implement a little opt-out feature for each future event, so that the minority of people who feel this way can still have fun. I don't see an opt-out feature/button/checkmark as a big deal. But I think it could be a big help for some people.

(And, simply to stave off any replies about how "TJ can't cater to every minority!", I'll counter that minorities on DragonCave still matter. CB-Tinsel owners are a minority, but they certainly matter to us, don't they?)

This is different from the "Ability to Organize Flowers" topic, although that topic has a "hide" feature, it's not the same thing.

Why are these "events" so much different from the way DragonCave is normally run? Normally it's a pretty strict "given" that you are NOT allowed to mess with someone else's scroll- view-bombing, pestering them about dragon names or lineages, trying to track down an abandoned egg to "make sure" it's being taken care of... We aren't supposed to do those sort of things.

Our scrolls are supposed to be OUR scrolls.

Not "hey everyone, let's dump a huge load of flowers on this unsuspecting user!".

I grinned and bared it with the whole V-day cards thing, but now flowers? Lots and LOTS of flowers, tons of different types, many of which (strictly personal preference) people are not going to like.

I don't think it's right, fair, or ethical to have events, with NO WARNING/NOTICE, that include *other users* affecting our scroll. ESPECIALLY since we can't do a darn thing about it. We just have to sit by and watch while we get more and more flowers that look increasingly cluttered and messy.

So I'm suggesting a few things here. First, a WARNING ahead of time when an event is going to allow users access to your scroll this way. That way it's not a huge slap-in-the-face surprise. Second, an option to BLOCK that event, so you won't have to receive any of that crap that you don't want, along with an option to delete anything that has already been given to you.

An advanced warning, together with a way to block this type of event, will ensure that users who DO NOT WANT random people affecting their scroll can STILL have a nice holiday.

(edit: disclaimer: I personally don't mind the flowers. I'm sending a few to mods I like. It's the very principle of this practice that I hate, because I think it goes against the overall tone of what our scrolls are.)

Edited by Marie19R

Warning IS given that an event is going to happen, just not what kind of event it is going to be.

I think all that's needed in this case is to be able to choose which flowers appear in your vase, combined with the ability to remove flowers from your "inventory" [needed for the ability to choose your vase flowers].

Essentially you have a main vase that you can put flowers you like in, the vase that you show off. Then you have a second vase where you put all the other flowers you get in. And finally you have a "trash can" that you can throw flowers that you don't like in to get rid of them. [although this description isn't completely accurate, since the inventory would really need to show all your flowers, not just the ones that aren't shown in your vase, although the ones in your vase would be marked]

Wouldn't that solve the problem?

Edited by Pokemonfan13

That sounds fairly good, PF. But if we trashed all our flowers, would they still show up in the "inventory" you are talking about? 'Cause that would kind of miss the entire point of throwing away flowers, if they could still be seen.

Trashed flowers would be completely gone.

Main vase:

Visible to everyone as an arrangement of flowers. Choose which flowers you were given appear here.

Inventory:

All the flowers you were given. Visible to everyone as essentially a list.

Trash can:

Things in the inventory can be moved here. They are no longer visible to anyone. Two options, either they live in here and are recoverable or they just vanish. The first is better in case of mistakes or changed minds, since it is not visible to anyone else or obtrusive.

So let's just say I hate roses because of the sappy love thing they represent. I'm sent a ton of roses so I shove them all in the trash can. None of them appear in my inventory, and to anyone else it appears that I wasn't sent a single rose and I don't have to look at them, even if they live in the trash can. [no, I don't hate roses. Just having an example]

I can't promise that TJ will implement this, but it seems like a good solution to the problem to me. And in the future I will try to come up with similar solutions for similar events while the event is still being planned.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I think all that's needed in this case is to be able to choose which flowers appear in your vase, combined with the ability to remove flowers from your "inventory" [needed for the ability to choose your vase flowers].

Essentially you have a main vase that you can put flowers you like in, the vase that you show off. Then you have a second vase where you put all the other flowers you get in. And finally you have a "trash can" that you can throw flowers that you don't like in to get rid of them. [although this description isn't completely accurate, since the inventory would really need to show all your flowers, not just the ones that aren't shown in your vase, although the ones in your vase would be marked]

Wouldn't that solve the problem?

I'd go for something like this, PF. While I don't mind the event itself, some of the 'sendables' are not to my tastes and I would rather not have them shown.

For instance, I posted in the news thread that I would like any flower but yellow ones, and...I now have a bunch of yellow flowers in my vase. I don't know if this is because I didn't word my request well enough or if some people did it to spite me (FYI, I didn't want yellow simply because that's the color I dislike the most).

I'd go for something like this, PF. While I don't mind the event itself, some of the 'sendables' are not to my tastes and I would rather not have them shown.

For instance, I posted in the news thread that I would like any flower but yellow ones, and...I now have a bunch of yellow flowers in my vase. I don't know if this is because I didn't word my request well enough or if some people did it to spite me (FYI, I didn't want yellow simply because that's the color I dislike the most).

*stares at your yellow avatar*

You know, there's a similar problem with the "collect them yourself" events, like easter eggs and trick-or-treat, since as far as I know there's no way to skip an item you don't like. So either you don't pick it up and can't collect the rest of the items or you take it anyways and end up with something you don't like in your inventory.

You... have a yellow avatar. And you don't like yellow. blink.gif

Honestly the flowers are GIFTS from people, so basically you're throwing a gift away. Last year we gave cards, how is this different? I like being able to send things to people and I'd be sad if someone deleted the flower I sent them.

I agree it's sad, but in real life it's your right to get rid of a gift someone gives you, be it throwing it in the trash, regifting it, or returning it to the store, so it makes sense that you would be able to do it with the flowers.

Seriously, if you don't like being sent flowers at all, don't look at the vase they end up in. They aren't even directly on your scroll!

I personally love my EPIC VASE OF EPICNESS!!1! But, yeah - can't really see each individual flower which is a pity because the spriting is superb. smile.gif As mentioned by PF13, we don't get to choose our Easter eggs or Halloween treats either and, in all seriousness, these events aren't really part of our scrolls per se. If your vase offends you, just don't look at it?

You... have a yellow avatar. And you don't like yellow. blink.gif

I should have seen that coming *facepalm*. There's a reason the character in my avatar is that color (or was, she's not anymore), but going into that would be waaay off topic (I'll just say I was on a 'golden tabby tiger' thing at the time).

Regardless, I dislike yellow in general, but I'm not so opposed to it if the object/character has other colors along with it, or if the yellow is not the primary color. A lot of the flowers I've been getting are...solid yellow. So unless I get a bunch of non-yellow flowers to counter it, or this suggestion goes through...I'm not going to be looking at my vase very often once this event is over.

Seriously, if you don't like being sent flowers at all, don't look at the vase they end up in. They aren't even directly on your scroll!

And yet every single time I go to my scroll, I see that dang vase. Doesn't matter if the flowers themselves aren't "on the scroll", they are still *there*.... The same way dragon descriptions aren't "on the scroll", you have to click in order to see them, but they are still *there*. And that vase IS "on my scroll".

And yet every single time I go to my scroll, I see that dang vase. Doesn't matter if the flowers themselves aren't "on the scroll", they are still *there*.... The same way dragon descriptions aren't "on the scroll", you have to click in order to see them, but they are still *there*. And that vase IS "on my scroll".

The vase badge wouldn't have been there if you hadn't clicked on the link at the top for the event. For example this player hasn't played since 09, and doesn't have a vase badge despite having flowers in their vase.

Edited by platedlizard

I don't think this is necessary. Even if you participate by a randomizer, you aren't forced to actively participate. If need be, get some kind of image blocker and block the vase or flowers. :3

But I suppose since we get this request every year an option in account settings to choose "I don't want to participate the next site event" wouldn't hurt. You wouldn't get the badge, whatever is being sent, or the event notice, or anything else. If you only like Halloween events you could uncheck it before or during Halloween and the info would show up or something.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

It's funny, because I actually really enjoy being able to send stuff to other users. I guess I'd be okay with a simple block option if someone just doesn't want to participate at all, but I'm not sure about coding for deletion or specific options or anything like that, because that sounds complicated for TJ to have to do for each and every event.

Also... The spirit is just giving stuff! Is it really bad that your scroll is being 'affected' by that?

It's funny, because I actually really enjoy being able to send stuff to other users. I guess I'd be okay with a simple block option if someone just doesn't want to participate at all, but I'm not sure about coding for deletion or specific options or anything like that, because that sounds complicated for TJ to have to do for each and every event.

Also... The spirit is just giving stuff! Is it really bad that your scroll is being 'affected' by that?

I love sending things to people! I have always wished we could gift eggs just by putting them on a persons scroll.

I am amazed that anyone would not enjoy the Flowers TJ has done for Valentines.

FRom another closed thread I was shocked that someone could get angry about such a nice thing. The old saying you cannot please everyone. So true!!!

I figure if someone does not like it they do not have to participate or look at their vase. huh.gif

The OP covers most of the problems I have with this event, however I would like to add a bit more, as the thread I had open was removed due to some user who couldn't stop trying to make it about his/her views.

I wouldn't mind so much if we were told before the event begins what sort of event it was going to be, and then given the option to opt out... or allowed to see the event, then choose to opt out/remove it from our scroll. The simple fact is - I don't hate events. I like events quite a lot, but not ones that let other users forcibly put something I do not like on my scroll. I do not care that it "isn't visible" other than the little icon. It is my scroll, and I should not have to put up with something being there that I did not ask for and do not want. Say I pick up a dragon I don't want- I can simply abandon, release, or kill it and be done with it. Not so with events, as I am forced to watch this mess of a vase sit there with a crazy cacophony of flowers that do not match and do not look good together in any way, shape, or form.

It probably doesn't help matters for me that I am naturally an obsessive person when it comes to aesthetic appeal and spent several years as a teenager volunteering in a greenhouse associated with my school where we grew not only vegetables, but ornamental plants. I have very well-defined tastes in flowers and have very strong dislikes of several species due to either appearance, smell, or in a few cases my own severe allergies to them. I would rather have an empty vase with the few shiny leaves and ferns than a mess of clashing colors and really think it was a poor choice to design an event that takes away the user's control of what is on their scroll.

I understand your point of view. smile.gif I didn't want my vase to be messy, so I decided I will follow a color theme (Red/Pink/White). It cost me a kabillion posts in the Flower Request thread, but I'm finally satisfied with my vase.

Now I'm worried someone will slap a big orange flower all over that work via random gifting, ruining it without even meaning any harm.

Hopefully TJ will allow removing certain flowers. ^ ^ I'd like to try a different color scheme, too.

As someone mentioned before, my vase icon did not appear until I actively clicked the link to enter the event....surely this is enough and qualifies as an opt out/in option. unsure.gif

I know it is quite a mess in our vases, but to be honest the whole concept of holidays such as valentines is about giving surprise gifts. It is lovely that everyone is going around enjoying giving and receiving these little gifts. Really set a positive and happy mood around the forum today.

But yes, it would be nice to be able to do a little flower arranging on our own vases.

Edited by Dubious

As someone mentioned before, my vase icon did not appear until I actively clicked the link to enter the event....surely this is enough and qualifies as an opt out/in option.  unsure.gif

An option which is absolutely no help to those of us who happen to check our scrolls before there's information on the forums about the nature of the event...

Edited by keijaidyyn

I do also wish that we had the ability to remove flowers from the vase.

I have a collection of Pink/Magenta flowers, But it's all ruined by 1 Orange Sunflower.

An option which is absolutely no help to those of us who happen to check our scrolls before there's information on the forums about the nature of the event...

In TJs news post, he says "This year, share the love by giving flowers. Send them to friends, send them to loved ones, or just send them to random strangers. The event will last for one week, and you can send one flower every two minutes (that’s a lot of flowers)."

Anyone who has been here for even one event knows you get a badge. If you read the first post, you should have known you were going to get randomly chosen flowers. You could have waited until you have peeked at few other scrolls. Or you could have waited til the art credits were posted, as they always are. There would still be plenty of time to decide if you want the badge or not.

So, it's too late now, but better luck next time.

This.

But I do wish the flowers were arranged so that we could see more of them.

AND - they are gifts. I personally never get rid of gifts. I value the thought that got them to me. i find it sad that everyone doesn't feel that way - but I recognise that it happens.

But the way they arrange themselves - I bet you could get that orange sunflower covered up, Dracoscar.