Amur_Rama

Owner Name Write-In

Right now, we have the option to Hide our Scrolls, which removes the scroll link from an egg/hatchling/dragon's page. In my case, I do it because I got viewbombed once and lost my first CB Silver in it. But, originally, I liked leaving my name there, because I have an open offer on my forum info that if I drop any eggs into the AP, and the catcher wants another or a mate or to ask questions about the name even, I'm open for the asking. However, keeping my dragons safe comes first.

It's disappointing, because I've seen a few of my eggs/adult dragons get posted in the Great Lineages Found in the AP thread, and on a couple of occasions was able to spot them in time to make the offer to help or answer questions about a name in PM. But most times I know I miss them, and I like to drop 2-3gen metals into the AP (when they let me), or 2gen BSAs or Trios.

I'd like if there was some kind of "write-in" option for identifying yourself on a dragon's page. Universal to all of the pages, so one wouldn't need to decide what to write on every single dragon. Optional, of course, where you could write in your forum name or, probably better, ID #. That helps keep scrolls safe and private, so no one can pick up your scroll name to bomb everything on it at once, but still allows people who want to be found on the forum (or AIM, YIM, whatever, but without any extra additions, the person looking would just have to try to find you.) to be contacted.

Again, it would be FULLY optional. I'm thinking it could be set like this:

Full Privacy (scroll hidden, name removed from dragons, no visible contact info).

High Privacy (scroll hidden, name removed from dragons but alternate contact info given).

Semi-Public (scroll hidden, but names visible on dragons).

Public (scroll visible and owner's scroll name visible on dragons).

* Bold is what we have now. Italics is where the suggestion would fit in.

I like this idea and think it would make a great change for the cave. I keep my name on my dragons personally and fog ones I think are in any danger of view bombing but I hate to think of the day I may get view bombed. Then my scroll is going on full privacy though I would like to have an intermedeate option smile.gif

This is a good idea. Personally I wouldn't use it but I see why some people would want to. You have my support.

Another possibility would be to have the scroll name hidden on only eggs and unfrozen hatchlings, and/or a method to keep these off the scroll as well. Then for grown dragons or frozen hatchlings your name and scroll could still be viewed.

I did hide my scroll for a few weeks after what looked to me like a view bombing attempt. I haven't had problems since.

I would not be able to use it since my forum name and scroll name is different. But if this might help others, yeah, could very well be a good addition.

Hmm, this seems a bit restrictive to me, having to choose between full publicity and having your scroll hidden. Why not go a different route? Like this: You can show your scroll name on all dragon pages, or not at all - or on adults and frozens only.

Why? This way, your eggs are pretty safe, especially if you put them at the bottom of your scroll or something.

Maybe this "show scroll name on the view pages of adults and frozen hatchlings only" option could be combined with another new option to only show adults and frozen hatchlings on your scroll?

There's also a suggestion around for another scroll-hide choice - hide your growing dragons to the public but not your grown dragons, that might be of interest here?

I like this idea smile.gif

I could definitely see myself using it, but I have a concern to state as well. What if people write things that aren't child friendly? If people like this it may become tiring to mod.

I don't fully see the point of this. What's to stop me from writing in "Amut un Rama" as my contact info? Any sort of "alternate" display name is unstructured information, and thus really hard to police.

I don't fully see the point of this. What's to stop me from writing in "Amut un Rama" as my contact info? Any sort of "alternate" display name is unstructured information, and thus really hard to police.

possibly could we have the link changed to our forum account and then have to sign in on both to have it save or is that not an option with the forum?

There's also a suggestion around for another scroll-hide choice - hide your growing dragons to the public but not your grown dragons, that might be of interest here?

I'd prefer this, to be honest. MUCH prefer.

Wait: blink.gif

Again, it would be FULLY optional. I'm thinking it could be set like this:

Full Privacy (scroll hidden, name removed from dragons, no visible contact info).

High Privacy (scroll hidden, name removed from dragons but alternate contact info given).

Semi-Public (scroll hidden, but names visible on dragons).

Public (scroll visible and owner's scroll name visible on dragons).

* Bold is what we have now. Italics is where the suggestion would fit in.

That's NOT what we have. My scroll is visible and my name is NOT visible on my dragons.

I don't ever want anyone to find me via my scroll though, so it BETTER be optional biggrin.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'd prefer this, to be honest. MUCH prefer.

Wait: blink.gif

That's NOT what we have. My scroll is visible and my name is NOT visible on my dragons.

I don't ever want anyone to find me via my scroll though, so it BETTER be optional biggrin.gif

Fuzz I'd count yours in the semi-public area since you have one but not the other maybe the op should update their post to reflect that?

You can display your username while keeping your scroll hidden, so people will still be able to click an egg's parents, see your username, and find you on the forum. ^^

It's useless to people who have very different scroll and forum names - but don't want to (unlike Fuzzbucket), but in this case the ability to change forum names/scroll names would be much more useful than being able to write in a scroll name. @TJ, is a system for name changes ever going to happen?

Edited by Saloiq

There have been other suggestions similar to this, including "Account settings: more options for scroll view, partially hiding scrolls - NOT tabs" http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=90480

Personally, I rather like a sorta-similar suggestion better: Scroll Descriptions. http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=71729&hl=

Instead of adding a bajillion different levels of "privacy" and "scroll-view", and instead of adding *only* a way to link your scroll to your forum account, having the ability of a short "scroll description" field would mean that you could make up a small story about your scroll, your "clan" of dragons, and you could easily say something like "The owner of these dragons would be happy to be contacted at" and then you could put your forum name *or* an email address.

If the only concern here is showing or not showing your scroll name, we already have scroll-options for that. If it's more about contacting *outside* the game, well, I think the idea I explained would work great.

Edited by Marie19R

This is what I like the most- that way you could make an offer to breed in your sig without having eggs and hatchlings exposed.

Would they still show up on trade offers though?

Another possibility would be to have the scroll name hidden on only eggs and unfrozen hatchlings, and/or a method to keep these off the scroll as well. Then for grown dragons or frozen hatchlings your name and scroll could still be viewed.

I did hide my scroll for a few weeks after what looked to me like a view bombing attempt. I haven't had problems since.

If your scroll name is on your adult dragons, anyone who can find your adults, can find your eggs. I also have an account on Yarold's, there are quite a few DC users there who just have permalinks to their adult dragons there. So it wouldn't be that hard to find them through that.

I would not be able to use it since my forum name and scroll name is different. But if this might help others, yeah, could very well be a good addition.

That's the very idea. It wouldn't use your scroll name, and you could just enter your Forum name instead. Assuming you wished to be contacted on the forum, of course.

If you don't want anyone to bother you, you don't have to change anything on your scroll. This is an optional addition. If you don't want to use it, nothing changes for you.

You could write whatever you wanted. But if you wanted people to contact you, you'd lose out by giving incorrect information, just like I would by writting "TJ09" on my info. Everyone would then start annoying you asking about Ramic dragons. Hence why I do think one's forum ID number would be the best option.

Assuming, of course, you wanted to be contacted. Which is just what this suggestion is about. People who don't want their scroll to be seen, but don't mind people shooting them a PM about an egg/hatchling they've dumped (looking at their parents).

Edited by Amut un Rama

possibly could we have the link changed to our forum account and then have to sign in on both to have it save or is that not an option with the forum?

This is something I'd much prefer to see. smile.gif A feature that links scrolls and forum IDs is something that I've always really wanted. So I don't think I support the idea of the OP, even if it meant we'd have half a dozen Amut un Ramas. tongue.gif I think the linking to the forum account would be a lot more effective, because of the policing issue TJ mentioned.

<snip> you could easily say something like "The owner of these dragons would be happy to be contacted at" and then you could put your forum name *or* an email address.

If the only concern here is showing or not showing your scroll name, we already have scroll-options for that. If it's more about contacting *outside* the game, well, I think the idea I explained would work great.

Please not an email address. Not even optional. BECAUSE - trawling forums for those (and from this POV, scrolls would work too) is what bots use to start spamming. I am the gatekeeper for another forum where we now have to filter applications through MOI, because of the number of bots who signed up, and who also harvested the addies to spam you (One can tell it was from there - for instance, after the Russian handbag sellers were locked out of the FORUM they started everyone from IN the forum who had had their emails available advertising emails !)

We have NO clickable emails in there AT ALL now. And two others I am in autoedit it OUT when a clickable email shows up in a post.

I would like the option to hide my growing things and show my adults - though I still wouldn't leave my name on them !

You could write whatever you wanted. But if you wanted people to contact you, you'd lose out by giving incorrect information, just like I would by writting "TJ09" on my info. Everyone would then start annoying you asking about Ramic dragons. Hence why I do think one's forum ID number would be the best option.

This is a HUGE blip in this idea. If it is possible to enter someone else's ID and thus get them spammed, that is NOT OK ! There HAS to be a way to prevent that. I don't think a RULE would be adequate to stop malicious - or even accidental - misuse here....

Edited by fuzzbucket

Yea, there needs to be a way to verify that the contact info actually belongs to you. Otherwise someone with nice stuff [someone likely to get people asking for breeding a lot] could put the forum name etc of someone that annoyed them and get them spammed with breeding requests for stuff they don't have.

Yea, there needs to be a way to verify that the contact info actually belongs to you. Otherwise someone with nice stuff [someone likely to get people asking for breeding a lot] could put the forum name etc of someone that annoyed them and get them spammed with breeding requests for stuff they don't have.

Maybe there could be a way to link your forum and cave accounts? Like for example, if you're logged into your account on the cave, there could be an opinion to "link to forum account" and you'd just need to sign in with your forum name and password actually in the cave, then you'd get those kinds of options.

Something like that could open up a lot of possibilities, I'm sure, such as notifications in the cave for PMs on the forum and stuff if you're linked. But that's a whole different story so I won't go into anything like that here. tongue.gif Time and place and all that.

But the linking part for the sake of the information appearing on your scroll or individual dragon page could be a good substitute to suggestion in the OP.