Walker

Do you think in words or pictures?

Do you think in words or pictures?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mostly abstract concepts and words in an auditory kinda form but sometimes pictures too, never text |D

It's super hard to translate my thoughts into speech a lot of the time though especially because my thought processes tend to switch to just concepts when I'm expected to say something a lot of the time and then I can't say anything and it's all kinds of uncomfortable (but then sometimes I can hear exactly what I want to say in my head and it just won't come out at all and that's even more frustrating tbh)

Typing is easier c':

I think in both words and pictures. What I like most about thinking in words is when I listen to music and I read a book. Sometimes I get a mental image about that as well. Thinking visually seems to be very fluid for me though. If I try to concentrate on making one image, it seems to go off and do whatever it wants, rather than what I want.

I put other on the poll, though, because sometimes I find myself perfectly recreating a song in my own head, or making my own. Not sure if that counts for other.

I think a bit in both, but also in ideas. By ideas I mean that the impression is in my mind, sometime accompanied by unspoken words and vague images, that is they are incomplete visual, but I know the rest of the image mentally. At times, I feel like I know what I want and will recognizes it when I see it, but don't have any images or words to express exactly what I want. From just reading the first page and this page, it appears that others also think in this way, probably everybody does to some extent. In a way, our world limits our imagination. There are some things that just cant be reproduced in the way that we imagine them.

I tend to think more in words, but I often visualize people, places, things as well. It's an interesting blend, actually, come to think of it. laugh.gif

Okay, this is an interesting subject

I think in both words and pictures pretty equally. Sometimes words run through my head as I think, and sometimes images (I am very, very good at visualizing things too) When I need to find something I usually scroll through pictures, whereas if I'm trying to talk or write something words just pop up

I do think in both pictures and words but I primarily think in pictures when I'm daydreaming. smile.gif In fact, I can daydream whole stories and never name a character because I can "see" them in my mind and I think of their face when I think about them. tongue.gif

But there are times I need to use words and then I do.

I'd say both, depending on the situation.

Edited by Hazel360

I think more with pictures and meanings, than I do with words or language.

I have a fantastic grasp of my native language (English), and have an almost instinctive knowledge of grammar and semantics but less skill with spelling. It's probably because grammar and such are a more "feeling" or "meaning" thing and spelling is more "exact". I'm still better than most people my age at spelling, but I'm much better at grammar.

When I'm badly stressed I can't even think of words, let alone in words. It's explained by my MBTI personality, ENFP, in some really in-depth articles on prolonged stress. I'll start explaining things in abstract ways because I can't remember what they're called, and I get frustrated and angry as a result, on top of the stress or anxiety. If you take a step back it's kinda funny and comical, but also sorta retarded haha. I will try to explain things like milk as "yummy white one", or ask my partner to fill my water bottle while he's in the kitchen by asking him to "put in the drink thing" instead of "put the drink in the thing" or just " fill my water bottle please". It's more a description of properties of an object, and the order of words stops being important. Thank god my partner can understand me perfectly haha.

I've got a pretty good visual memory though. I live in a sorta crap suburb and sometimes get fed up with loud street drinkers or bin burners and call the cops on them (to send them home), and even if I just glanced at the person I can usually recall exactly what they were wearing.

I'm also a visual artist, and have been into drawing since I was 2. My first words other than Ma/Da/etc were "Pretty Picture". So makes sense I think in pictures over words!

I attribute more meaning to feeling than thinking, because I'm very empathetic and seem to judge things better when I follow intuition rather than try to over-think something. So single words have less value/meaning/feeling than a raw image, to me. Picture says a thousand words... But I appreciate a good book.

EDIT: I also used to be able to "talk" to my dog (not anymore, he's someplace else now) without saying a word to him ("go over there to those bushes", "come here and stand next to me", "be alert", etc). I knew what he was thinking ("I heard something in those bushes, do you want me to check it out?", "follow me, I want to show you something", "should I go this way? Or this way?"). Not because of "telepathy", or even hand signals, but because of body language and subtle eye movements or shifts in weight. THAT's thinking in pictures, or actions, and we both did it. It was an amazing bond to have, and we both had to learn each other's tells. After bonding with an animal like that, words just lose a lot of their meaning, I really mean that.

I probably sound completely nuts unsure.gif

Edited by celesteon

Sometimes I think in a sort of weird way. For example, if I wanted to know the difference between an anion and a cation, I associate cation with cats, and cats are a positive thing, so therefore I know that cations are positively charged ions. And if I wanted to know the difference between right and left wing, then I pretend that I'm a conservative and think 'the right wing is right' and so I know they are right wing tongue.gif

I think almost entirely in words.

I have some associations with certain words--whenever I say, hear, or read them, an image pops to mind--but for the most part I am very word-oriented.

Whenever I speak a word, I see it spelled out in my head, and usually pronounce it according to that spelling. It makes it difficult for words like "talk"--I always end up pronouncing the L, something that my family routinely pokes fun at.

It makes it quite difficult to daydream, as I am unable to visualize images without serious concentration. But, as someone who relies upon daydreaming to fall asleep, I've found ways around this.

I'd like to be able to think more in pictures, but it doesn't seem like a possibility at this time.

Seeing every word in my mind while speaking it actually makes speaking very difficult sometimes. I have by no means a speech impediment, but I do stutter sometimes and frequently stumble over words. Reading aloud is a nightmare--I have to read the words on the page and see the words I've just read flash by in my head.

So I rely on memorization of words most of the time.

I have enormous difficulty consciously associating words with pictures. Even studying anatomy and such, I can't use words--I have to see written notes, or take written notes, in order to remember it later. Video tutorials don't work well, either.

I probably (definitely) should try to widen my thought visualization process.

Almost exclusively pictures, I seldom use words and have trouble forcing myself to.

I can think in every way.

Sounds.

Images.

Tastes.

The feeling of an object, even one I have not felt. (I can imagine how it feels.)

I often combine all of them and create my own stories when I have nothing to do, mainly when trying to sleep.

Sometimes they turn out really awesome.

Other times, not so much xd.png

But then I can easily scrap it and start over.

I can imagine someone playing a game I've made up, complete with sound. (music, dialogue, whatnot)

So yup. unsure.gif

Sounds.

Images.

Tastes.

The feeling of an object, even one I have not felt. (I can imagine how it feels.)

I often combine all of them and create my own stories when I have nothing to do, mainly when trying to sleep.

I can imagine someone playing a game I've made up, complete with sound. (music, dialogue, whatnot)

So yup. unsure.gif

Hey me too! I thought that was normal though... huh.gif

Hey me too! I thought that was normal though... huh.gif

Apparently not, according to everyone else's posts. unsure.gif

I thought it was normal too. Turns out I'm the only one in my family who can. sad.gif

Apparently not, according to everyone else's posts. unsure.gif

I thought it was normal too. Turns out I'm the only one in my family who can. sad.gif

What!? Most of my family can do it actually but I've never asked anyone else about it. Does it make you feel special or...

Sounds.

Images.

Tastes.

So yup. unsure.gif

Well, yeah, I can do this easily if I tryyy, but my normal surface thoughts are written text unless I focus.

Sounds.

Images.

Tastes.

So yup. unsure.gif

Same here!!! biggrin.gif

I've tried explaining this to my friends a bunch too and some of them can do this, but most can't.

I think with the sounds of words ohmy.gif as if speaking when my intentions

are on trying to solidify my thoughts in preparation to speak, So people often

get offended when i don't answer their questions because i take the time to

make sure that what i say can be said and is not misunderstood.

It can be difficult to spell words and have to write it down.. or type it out to see

the correct spelling. I think visually when preparing to move somewhere,

mapping my projected path i can visualize landmarks rolleyes.gif clearly and

am spatially aware.

And i find myself making embarrassing facial expressions blink.gif

when remembering a social event and feel as if i am there. i can hear clear

music and voices that i have heard recently that are not actually present unsure.gif

but only when i clear my mind of intentionally thinking in speech.

Extra note:

I have seen another persons thoughts intentionally

without them knowing that i was trying to and they

got freaked out but that was only one time.

have no serious mental conditions lol.

Edited by AskrWayy

Mostly words, some images, except the words don't really appear as images of words. Sometimes when I make a really fast connection my brain doesn't even register words or pictures, it's as if I have this inner connection. Again, sometimes I think of things(mostly emotions), it can't be described using words or pictures. Sometimes though, I'd talk(think) to myself and that's when I think in *actual* words(sounds of words)

Edited by OtomeKristinOtaku

I do a bit of both but mostly in images xd.png I have the hardest time coming up with words sometimes. It's like my brain is picturing it but trying to get words out to describe somehow escapes me. It's annoying tongue.gif