Walker

Do you think in words or pictures?

Do you think in words or pictures?  

255 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i learn better by reading words and processing it myself without visual aids.

i'm kind of lucky actually because the standard school system fits my needs, where i read a text book and then study from that. hearing the information is also a good way for me to learn i find biggrin.gif

I think primarily in words, but I taught myself to think in pictures just to see if I could do it. It was definitely a challenge and I still think better in words, but I enjoy thinking both ways.

Words. I can easily think in pictures, emotions, or abstract concepts if I want to but words are definitely my default. Makes sense though, considering I tend to be analytical and wordy when I write.

Edited by Dimar

It depends. When I'm awake, my thoughts are almost always in words. However, I don't see the words, I hear them. I have an inner monologue that mutters constantly, it's like talking to myself without actually opening my mouth and saying anything. When someone talks and if I'm paying attention to them, my inner voice repeats whatever they say. So if I'm in a conversation with more than one person, and said people decide to talk at the same time, it get's really confusing. More often than not, my brain decides to focus on something unrelated and I have to drag my attention back to the conversation.

When I'm asleep I dream in images and feelings, but I rarely remember what the dream consisted of when I wake up. I can force myself to think in images, for example if I need to visualise something I'm going to draw, but it's easier and reflexive to think in words.

Well, it kind of doesn't work either way. My memory works in both images (photographic) and bits of data, so I call it 'semi-photographic'. My mind works kind of... I don't know, just processing? It's not in words, but it's definitely not in pictures.

I kind of think of it as... code? Processing? Computer terms seem to best apply.

Really depends. Some things pictures, some things words. Some thigns I actually think about the certain 'feel' they have.

(and sound, and taste, though I don't know how on earth that works, but it sometimes does, even with things that can't be eaten or heard.)

Words, definitely. Pictures are only used when I don't know the word for something. Words just feel easier to me.

Sort of depends, for me. I think it'd be hard to explain the circumstances, though, since human minds are complicated and I'm too lazy to do introspection at the moment.

When I think about ideas for my stories, I tend to think of them in scenes. Full dialogue, full imagery. It's like animating a movie in your head, and music tends to make this experience more vivid and entertaining.

When I'm just casually writing, like this post, I tend to just think in words. And when I'm just chilling out and resting I tend to think in pictures.

I think visually, movie-like, with emotions. I had to translate them into words when speaking, and with lots of body language. biggrin.gif

It depends. When I'm awake, my thoughts are almost always in words. However, I don't see the words, I hear them. I have an inner monologue that mutters constantly, it's like talking to myself without actually opening my mouth and saying anything.

Basically the same as Vamp.

For me, it's a combination of images/movies, feelings, and words. If I'm writing, I speak in my mind, like reading to myself. If I'm thinking of something that happened or that I want to happen, I see it like a movie. If I smell certain scents, it brings up the emotion I remember feeling the last time I smelled that scent.

I think in sound and pictures a lot. Sound more than anything. It can *include* words, but I usually don't see words, just hear them. But yeah, I think in sound a lot more than anything, then pictures. Words are almost never thought about unless it's auditory.

It depends. When I'm awake, my thoughts are almost always in words. However, I don't see the words, I hear them. I have an inner monologue that mutters constantly, it's like talking to myself without actually opening my mouth and saying anything.

Yeah, that's pretty much me. (Though I also talk to myself out loud when I need to sort my thoughts.) Visualizing something clearly can actually take a bit of effort.

I'm a very visual person. I think I can understand better by seeing than just by hearing words or just by seeing words.

I think in very mangled, fast words and sounds. My thoughts tend to jumble together if I'm not actively trying to straighten them out, so theres just this constant monologue of misplaced words, sounds, and bits of songs in my head. I have no 'automatic' pictures in my head- if I want to think of how something looks I have to concentrate, hard. Even then its always a fuzzy image. Heck, even my dreams are blurry-looking.

If by words you mean almost hearing myself talk in my head, then yes. When I'm reading, I'll think more in pictures. When I'm drawing, not really words or any pictures except what I see in front of me. And there's always some song playing in the background.

I do pictures and words about equally, I think. Also abstract concepts (including word definitions), which I unfortunately have trouble turning back into words. >_<