Flamingo

Doing Away With Auto-AP

Renorei, I'm sorry if you feel ganged-up on, I'm certain that was no one's intention. But what you are describing isn't ganging-up, it's discussion. That's what a discussion is: Someone comments on something, and people respond to that comment with their own thoughts/opinions, and other people respond to those people about their responses, etc etc. It doesn't matter if you aren't the OP, you apparently posted something that others felt like responding to. It's just discussion. And we are apparently making headway in this discussion, since people are suggesting compromises.

I don't NEED it. But I would use it and enjoy it, which is why I support the suggestion.

We didn't need Teleport, Incubate, Influence, Vampire Bite Lineages, etc., either. But we received them because it would improve users' DC experience. This suggestion would improve my DC experience. This is the "Suggestions and Requests" forum, not the "Report a Fundamental Inadequacy of the Game" forum. It's for users to suggest changes they would like to see happen in DC...not every suggested change has to address a fundamental need.

I don't think you guys are intending this, but in my opinion, you're all being a teeny bit rude, although I'm sure you didn't intend it. My initial post in this thread was simply to support the suggestion. I wasn't arguing with anyone. But now just because I support a suggestion which you guys obviously don't like, you all keep replying to my posts or to posts that are replies to mine, which makes me feel very "ganged-up-on" just because I like and support the idea. This isn't even my thread. None of you are saying anything essentially different than the very first reply I received--at this point everyone is just piling on, and really, there's no point in us arguing in circles.

I respect your feelings--you think that the game is just fine exactly the way it is and that users don't need anymore flexibility and that working with the limits we have is a fundamental part of the game. My opinion is that while I don't need this feature, I would absolutely love it and use it, and it wouldn't take away an essential part of the game for me. It would thoroughly improve my DC experience without any negatives. We aren't going to agree, and that's fine. But I'm not sure why everyone is continuously replying to my posts rather than simply posting their thoughts to thread as a whole like everyone else did. This isn't even my thread. I didn't come here to debate or argue. I came here to support the idea because I like it and I would use it, hence I think it's a great suggestion. It's as simple as that. biggrin.gif

Okay, the problem is that you want the fundamentals of how this game is played to change.

They can't change.

Not because it's less convenient to have a limit, but because we can't get eggs we want willy-nilly ANYWHERE. I mean, literally. Raffles? You do something for them, maybe cook or something, I don't know. Everything on this site is a give-and-take method. What you are suggesting is a take-and-take method, which would break the game. And also, it doesn't make any sense. We already have the mechanics for this in place --abandon an egg, free up a slot, then breed. Or just wait.

Eliminating time does not help you, it hinders.

Okay, the problem is that you want the fundamentals of how this game is played to change.

They can't change.

Not because it's less convenient to have a limit, but because we can't get eggs we want willy-nilly ANYWHERE. I mean, literally. Raffles? You do something for them, maybe cook or something, I don't know. Everything on this site is a give-and-take method. What you are suggesting is a take-and-take method, which would break the game. And also, it doesn't make any sense. We already have the mechanics for this in place --abandon an egg, free up a slot, then breed. Or just wait.

Eliminating time does not help you, it hinders.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree then, because I don't see how this would change the fundamentals. It wouldn't allow you to get eggs willy-nilly--all eggs on your scroll would still come from cave catches, AP catches, trades/gifts, or your own breeding. I don't see how it's take-and-take either. No one is being "taken" from. It's not like someone hunting the AP is going to lose out on a special egg, because if someone is egglocked, with the current system, they just throw out their least favorite egg, or wait until later to breed. So it's not like the AP is going to lose a bunch of special eggs. There will be an ever-so-slight increase in commons; that's all.

Regarding fundamentals, we could have said the same thing about incubate or influence before we got those features. Influence allows you to do something that was simply impossible before it was implemented. It lets you pick the gender you need, preventing you from wasting time raising a hatchling of the wrong gender. Incubate shaves an entire day off of your egg's time, which allows you to change your egg-raising strategy.

Not only that, but it used to be that eggs and hatchlings often couldn't grow up at 4 days. They would grow up sometime between 3 days 23 hours and 3 days 0 hours, if I remember correctly. Changing it so they are all capable of growing up at 4 days could also be said to have "fundamentally changed the way the game is played" because it allowed users to predict with great accuracy exactly when their growing things were going to grow up (as long as their stats are high enough) rather than taking a wild guess at a 23 hour period.

Also, it used to be that the AP could block up the cave. Now that it no longer does that, it's common to see the AP filled with 4 day eggs. This allows people to grab an egg and ER it for an insta-hatchie. It also means people trying to hunt the cave aren't obligated to take eggs off the AP that they don't want just to unlock the cave. This has probably fundamentally altered the way the game is played more than any other change, but I think virtually all DC users would agree that it's made the game better. It took away an aspect of the game that was infuriating and frustrating and made the game more fun, and it also meant that some users mass-breeding their dragons didn't have to affect other users' cave hunting.

The OP suggestion wouldn't alter the game appreciably more than any of the aforementioned changes, at least in terms of "fundamentally changing the game."

I'd be okay with getting a breed-only slot again (without lowered limits).

This would be nice if the OP suggestion can't happen. 8 egg slots total but one of them is a breed-only slot.

Edited by Renorei

~Off-topic removed~

You can report mods to TJ if you disagree with a ruling they've made.

Original author's note: Yes, I wouldn't have much of a problem if you just outright removed it last time like you just did, instead of taking the liberty to vandalize it. Thank you very much.

Edited by CNR4806

~Off-topic removed~ Leave the following sentence because this is an important point we tend to remind people of in GD but forget to remind them of here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't ever want people to respond to my posts but when a whole bunch of people are doing it and essentially adding nothing new the conversation, it can be daunting. ninja.gif

If all the prior changes to DC didn't kill the game, this won't either.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Given what TJ said on the previous page, Id move my opinion from against to strongly againt. I have no desire to lose a full egg slot for a breeding 'hold' slot.

Me too. UGH. I want to be able to do what I want to do with my slots. And breeding isn't always it !

Renorei - I'm sorry you feel got at - but if you keep saying what you like about the idea - why isn't it OK for the rest of us to keep saying what we don't like ? I like YOU just fine. I don't like this idea, that's all xd.png

And I post as one who has had several eggs auto in the last few weeks because I was impatient and absent-minded - well,OK - one was even a glitch - but that happens, and I am so over it now...

I THINK... smile.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

Renori: But they don't give you any advantage you wouldn't have had before. If you have 30 minutes to do what you want with an egg, you could constantly keep shifting out eggs that aren't as good and have a lock of eight gold eggs, and that's not the point of this game -- limits are in place for a reason. There are limits placed on Influence -- if you don't have a pink dragon, you cannot influence. If the pink dragon is on it's influence CD, you cannot influence. Where are the limits on this?

you lose an egg to auto-ap'ing, but you have the benefit of the fact that they can produce eggs, so you wait 7 days to breed them. I don't know why this is needed.

Edited by Ashes The Second

I really don't support the idea of being able to switch eggs. It just makes me think of that friend who's always like "well I'll make a commitment with you guys tonight... unless a better offer comes along in the meantime."

I wouldn't like to see another warning in the sense of putting your password in before 1) I think it's kind of useless if it just says "are you sure you want to do this?" but doesn't tell you you're locked and 2) it'd get annoying if you're auto-abandoning for the AP.

What I would like is, on the actions page next to the breed option, a note that says "you are currently egg-locked and any additional eggs bred will be auto-abandoned" or something like that. Just like the notes that tell us if we can't breed for another x number of days or whatever. Or if that's not an option, then on the breed page itself. So not something that requires confirmation with a password, but something that would give you a little reminder if you haven't realised you're egg-locked.

Renorei - I'm sorry you feel got at - but if you keep saying what you like about the idea - why isn't it OK for the rest of us to keep saying what we don't like ? I like YOU just fine. I don't like this idea, that's all  xd.png

Of course everyone should say what they don't like! That's what threads in S & R are for. But remember, I didn't "keep" saying what I like about this idea--I kept responding to all the people who were responding to me. I had no initial intentions of posting anything more than the very first post that I made. By all means, say what you don't like, to the thread as a whole. It's just weird when I've got 8 or 9 posts saying what they don't like to me. And I like you too!

Renori: But they don't give you any advantage you wouldn't have had before.

If you're referring to all the previous changes to DC, I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you then. The various changes that have already been made have fundamentally changed the way the game is played, at least for me. But not in a bad way, at all.

If you have 30 minutes to do what you want with an egg, you could constantly keep shifting out eggs that aren't as good and have a lock of eight gold eggs, and that's not the point of this game -- limits are in place for a reason. There are limits placed on Influence -- if you don't have a pink dragon, you cannot influence. If the pink dragon is on it's influence CD, you cannot influence. Where are the limits on this?

Well, nobody has an infinite number of dragons that could produce eggs that are "better" than whatever they are egglocked with, at some point they are going to look at their egglock and say "Well I can't do any better than that." For instance if I'm egglocked with 7 eggs, and I have 3 nice tinsels and 3 CB golds whose eggs I would prefer, that's only 6 potential chances for "better" eggs, and odds are only one or two of those breedings will get the egg I want. You are limited by how many dragons you have available for breeding that could produce eggs that are "better" than your egglock, just as you are limited by how many pink dragons you have when you are trying to influence. There's a handful of people out there that have scrolls chock full of rares, but most of us don't.

I'd like a warning. Not a pop-up box, but just something next to the breed action. I don't want to mess with egg limits, I think they're fine as is and they don't need to be complicated.

If you're referring to all the previous changes to DC, I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you then.  The various changes that have already been made have fundamentally changed the way the game is played, at least for me.  But not in a bad way, at all. 

If you have 30 minutes to do what you want with an egg, you could constantly keep shifting out eggs that aren't as good and have a lock of eight gold eggs, and that's not the point of this game -- limits are in place for a reason. There are limits placed on Influence -- if you don't have a pink dragon, you cannot influence. If the pink dragon is on it's influence CD, you cannot influence. Where are the limits on this?

Well, nobody has an infinite number of dragons that could produce eggs that are "better" than whatever they are egglocked with, at some point they are going to look at their egglock and say "Well I can't do any better than that." For instance if I'm egglocked with 7 eggs, and I have 3 nice tinsels and 3 CB golds whose eggs I would prefer, that's only 6 potential chances for "better" eggs, and odds are only one or two of those breedings will get the egg I want. You are limited by how many dragons you have available for breeding that could produce eggs that are "better" than your egglock, just as you are limited by how many pink dragons you have when you are trying to influence. There's a handful of people out there that have scrolls chock full of rares, but most of us don't.

There are actually a lot more people with "nice rares" than you might think. I know a few, but in reality, you easily could have an infinite number of 'good" golds and such if you time your breeding right, have 30+ cb golds and silvers (plenty do), and are able to abandon thme to the AP. Not only would this drop the value of those rares, it would make things like spriter's alt lineages impossible to attain, because nothing would hold up it's worth, except for Neglecteds.

Because of this, you're essentially driving down everything, with, again, a take-and-take method that you can control. If you want ot make things impossible to attain, good for you, but you should find game mechanics that are already in place, like hunting for a lot CB golds and silvers, and doing it the way it was made now, because it's much slower than taking a few days to breed everything you had, resulting in 15-20 new metals that are AP dropped, wait another week, get new metals, breed those, put 30+ into the AP, rinse and repeat, with 40+. 50+, a whole page of them, etc. There go the values.

I also do nt understand why a warning does not suffice for you -- obviously it's the better method if we were going for something even remotely close to this, but again, the game isn't punishing you for breeding -- if anything, it is rewarding you with an egg and then saying "these are the consequences of such and such mechanic. Be careful with your eggs!" You won't learn until you try. But I just want to know why this is a good idea in any sense anywhere.

Edited by Ashes The Second

There are actually a lot more people with "nice rares" than you might think. I know a few, but in reality, you easily could have an infinite number of 'good" golds and such if you time your breeding right, have 30+ cb golds and silvers (plenty do), and are able to abandon thme to the AP. Not only would this drop the value of those rares, it would make things like spriter's alt lineages impossible to attain, because nothing would hold up it's worth, except for Neglecteds.

Because of this, you're essentially driving down everything, with, again, a take-and-take method that you can control. If you want ot make things impossible to attain, good for you, but you should find game mechanics that are already in place, like hunting for a lot CB golds and silvers, and doing it the way it was made now, because it's much slower than taking a few days to breed everything you had, resulting in 15-20 new metals that are AP dropped, wait another week, get new metals, breed those, put 30+ into the AP, rinse and repeat, with 40+. 50+, a whole page of them, etc. There go the values.

I also do nt understand why a warning does not suffice for you -- obviously it's the better method if we were going for something even remotely close to this, but again, the game isn't punishing you for breeding -- if anything, it is rewarding you with an egg and then saying "these are the consequences of such and such mechanic. Be careful with your eggs!" You won't learn until you try. But I just want to know why this is a good idea in any sense anywhere.

I respect your opinion but I honestly think you're overstating the impact this might have. I'm sure some of the people that catch one of these "good golds" that they find on the AP would probably just keep it rather than try to trade it. It also wouldn't affect the value of CB metallics in a negative way--it might even raise their value. And really, how much are lineaged metallics worth anyway? I can't speak for anyone else but for me personally the value of a lineaged metallic, even a 2nd gen, is already significantly lower than the value of a CB. If I had a CB gold egg I don't think I'd trade it for any number of lineaged golds, unless it was some kind of crazy number of them. Furthermore, don't forget that we have these ratios. If too many people are breeding ridiculous numbers of rares, they'll become harder to breed, which will help uphold their value.

This would mainly be useful for people who owe IOUs to others or who have been working tirelessly on the same lineage for a long time. See if you get the egg you need, and if you do, dump something else. If you don't, nothing changes. But if you're trying to breed something right now, you wouldn't be forced to send something to the AP just to free up a spot on the off chance you get the egg you've been waiting for.

I have already stated, over and over again, why I like this idea. It is something I would use and enjoy, and it would improve my DC experience. I would enjoy a feature such as this more than a warning.

Yes you'd use it. But most people are aware that they can only have seven (at gold level) eggs at one time, so they are simply careful NOT to try and breed those IOUs or whatever till they have a slot. What is the essential difference ? If you have eggs that you were keeping - why risk having to make that decision, anyway ? Wait a bit. Patience is good stuff smile.gif

I don't subscribe to the what is this dragon worth anyway - I am still deeply peeved about the egg that autod and grew up in the AP and went wild

http://dragcave.net/lineage/U0F3k

That was worth a lot to ME (and anyone in that breeding group) - it wouldn't be to most people. More than some random second gen gold (yes, OK, I would be annoyed to lose a CB gold - but that is NOT going to be in the AP anyway !) We all have our own priorities here. I HATE the idea that dragons are currency and just because they are gold or whatever they are "worth" more.... Ones that took effort are the ones that are worth it, to me.

I would hate see an egg slot taken away from the ones we currently have. I know I have 6 egg slots at the moment. I actually plan taking eggs from the AP and the cave with breeding eggs to make sure I always have room to do either one of these options. When I have 7 slots, I'll be reserving one slot for breeding, because I've got a few lineage ideas (and one project) I'd like to start/continue. But I can just as easily decide not to breed and take an egg from the cave or AP (or trade/gift) instead. So... I'd like the freedom to determine how I use my eggslots instead of being forced to have one slot for breeding. Especially since I take more eggs fromt he AP at the moment then actually breed. That "breed-only" slot would be a useless slot for me.

With the eggs being able to hatch within 3-4 days (even less with incubating), if I take/breed a max of 2 each day, I rarely find myself egg locked. Granted, now I was egg-locked for a few days because I bred all my Christmas dragons (with a lot of thanks to TJ's early Christmas gift!) which indeed was something I did NOT count on. But usually I've got enough room.

With a tiny bit of planning, it's really easy to stay egg-lock free (or at least I manage to do that...). It's not like the amount of egg slots change that often, so knowing how many eggs I can have and seeing how many eggs I DO have is something I find easy.

Granted, I might not pick up every "maybe possible interesting" egg I find, but at the same time I don't mind that much about it. After all, after only a few days I've got open slots again and I can go hunting again......

So.... I'm still against quiting the Auto-ap-ing, like I said earlier. AND I really, really do not see why it is such a problem for people to wait with breeding until an egg slot is free. Sure, breeding for someone else requires you to have an egg slot free, but when you make arrangements I assume you'll know when you've got a slot free. As for the rest, if I'm breeding for a lineage, I'll be damn sure to have an egg slot available.

But... that's just the way I work. It may not be suitable for everyone. All I can say is that I hope TJ doesn't take away an egg slot, nor implements an egg switching possibility.

The suggestion of a warning that you're egg-locked next to the breed-option is something positive, I think. Will it actually work? I have my doubts. There will always be people who will complain they didn't see it, want more egg slots for breeding, etc.

Perhaps I can add a suggestion?:

For those breeders who want to gift an egg to someone, but who are egg-locked, maybe it could be made possible to breed the egg specifically for gifting? When egg-locked, give the warning and give the option to breed for gifting. I guess this will only really work for those who want to gift their eggs, but it might help out in a way.

As for a dragon's worth.... I've got a lineage with Daydreamers and Seasonals. For me those are quite worth something. And then there are the pillows and the pygmies, which I simply like. So... the dragon's worth... That's all in the eyes of the beholder, I think the expression is, right?

So, when is an egg worth staying on your scroll instead of an egg you might breed? That's all your own perogative smile.gif But if you're deadset on getting the egg you might breed, I'd suggest simply wait those couple of days before breeding. With all the hatcheries and the incubating options it would be weird if you'd have wait longer then 3 full days until you've got a slot open again.

Oh, well... those were my two (rather long) cents.........

Edited by Sheriziya

This would mainly be useful for people who owe IOUs to others or who have been working tirelessly on the same lineage for a long time. See if you get the egg you need, and if you do, dump something else. If you don't, nothing changes. But if you're trying to breed something right now, you wouldn't be forced to send something to the AP just to free up a spot on the off chance you get the egg you've been waiting for.

This has always been a dilemma for anyone who plays DC - you either keep your slots full of whatever eggs/hatchlings you have, or leave an opening to try and breed something better. To unlock yourself for breeding is a risk you take - you may get no egg, or the wrong breed of egg from that pair.

Sure, allowing cherrypicking is going to be very convenient, but at the same time it will be dumbing the game down, at least in the wrong direction. In my opinion CB catching is the part of DC that's broken and in need of fixing. Breeding and slot management are already easy enough.

No no no oh PLEASE NO on making a slot "breed-only". We had that before. Now we have more freedom with our slots, we can do what we want with them. *PLEASE* don't take that away. I very rarely breed, so I'd essentially have a useless slot. That could instead be used for picking up AP-blockers, which I *do* do.

Looking back over this thread (since there isn't a poll) it does seem the majority are against the ability to pick-and-choose when breeding while locked. It sounds like a solid compromise is a warning before breeding; that way there will be no mistakes with auto-APing, which is the whole point, right?

I definitely don't want a "breed only" slot, as I am more of a CB and AP collector. Also, PLEASE nothing else that requires me to type my freakin' password. tongue.gif That's annoying enough as it is.

I am very much against doing away with Auto-AP.

I'll try and keep this short and sweet.

~If you want to try breeding for something nice while locked, you will have two options, toss the least desirable egg/hatchie to unlock yourself or wait for something to hatch/grow up.

~A third option is not necessary.

~The suggested third option will only prove mildly convenient.

~At the same time the suggested third option would prove inconvenient and irritating to those who breed for nice things while locked so anything nice will go to the AP.

I don't want to lose an egg slot. That sacrifice is too much for me, especially since I've had more than enough experience with the 'bred egg only' slot to ever want to see it again at the cost of a permanent egg slot.

No no no oh PLEASE NO on making a slot "breed-only". We had that before. Now we have more freedom with our slots, we can do what we want with them. *PLEASE* don't take that away. I very rarely breed, so I'd essentially have a useless slot. That could instead be used for picking up AP-blockers, which I *do* do.

Looking back over this thread (since there isn't a poll) it does seem the majority are against the ability to pick-and-choose when breeding while locked. It sounds like a solid compromise is a warning before breeding; that way there will be no mistakes with auto-APing, which is the whole point, right?

Arnt most ap eggs bred anyway? So a bred only slot would still apply to most ap eggs wouldn't it? Or at least it could. It would be nice to have a bred only slot anyway. The unevenness of the current slots is rather annoying (in appearance). I'd personally prefer to pick-up 6 eggs (at gold) then 7. As I much prefer to pickup eggs in pairs. (Minus holidays or some trades.) but that's just me.

I think the best thing to do is display a message saying your egg-locked (no password entry)

I can see the logic of the suggestion, from an in-game standpoint. If I go to tuck a newly bred egg away in the creche and only then realize that I have no more room, the egg doesn't fly out of my hands and down the hill to the Free To A Good Home pile; it would make sense that I could give it another egg's place, and send that one down the hill instead.

From a meta standpoint, though, I don't like it. Breeding is always a gamble--will you get Gold, Green, or nothing at all?--but this would let people gamble without having to offer up any ante by way of a slot taken up. That just feels wrong to me.

Arnt most ap eggs bred anyway? So a bred only slot would still apply to most ap eggs wouldn't it? Or at least it could. It would be nice to have a bred only slot anyway. The unevenness of the current slots is rather annoying (in appearance). I'd personally prefer to pick-up 6 eggs (at gold) then 7. As I much prefer to pickup eggs in pairs. (Minus holidays or some trades.) but that's just me.

I think the best thing to do is display a message saying your egg-locked (no password entry)

[GLaDOS voice] No, no, no, no no no no no no no no. [/GLaDOS voice]

1. A bred-only slot, as it functioned before the egg limits change, is a slot that can only be filled by breeding your own dragons. You're misunderstanding the entire concept.

2. The egg slots are not designed to fill your OCD for even numbers. No offense, but merely implying you would like a slot reduction based on your OCD is silly. Just don't pick up that 7th egg, and frankly speaking, I usually only fill it up to 6/7 anyway, just in case I encounter something good all of a sudden.

Edited by CNR4806

[GLaDOS voice] No, no, no, no no no no no no no no. [/GLaDOS voice]

1. A bred-only slot, as it functioned before the egg limits change, is a slot that can only be filled by breeding your own dragons. You're misunderstanding the entire concept.

2. The egg slots are not designed to fill your OCD for even numbers. No offense, but merely implying you would like a slot reduction based on your OCD is silly. Just don't pick up that 7th egg, and frankly speaking, I usually only fill it up to 6/7 anyway, just in case I encounter something good all of a sudden.

Not really. I hear bred-only and I understand that applies to bred eggs. Bred eggs in the ap are still just that. Bred.

That's besides the point. That's just me, and no, it is not silly. OCD can be very serious, and HAS and WILL lead to death if uncheck through various reasons depending on your case. Again, that entirely besides the point. (Wasn't even suggesting that even number thing though. Not sure if read that last bit which held my actual suggestion/possible best way to implement this)

No offense, but merely implying you would like a slot reduction based on your OCD is silly.

Uhh he never said that nor implied it. If anything, he wanted it INCREASED to 8 slots, but the last slot would be the bred egg. I think you inferred something that wasn't said or twisted his words around.

Regardless, I don't share the opinion. I'm against this suggestion.