Flamingo

Doing Away With Auto-AP

Honestly I don't see the problem at all. I'm even musing over both suggestions being fused, then you'd have a pretty good safety net.

What's wrong with swapping an egg? That's what I'd like to know.

"But you're getting around the scroll limits!"

No you aren't. You're still abandoning an egg, the limits don't care what kind of egg it is. It seems pretty fair to me that if you breed an egg that you could swap it out for something you already have. What if you dump an equally good egg as the one that you bred, but you wanted the one that you bred instead? I don't see the harm or the fuss about it at all.

Abandon the egg and THEN breed - or lose the new egg. What's wrong with THAT ?

A warning BEFORE - yes. But a swap - no.

And actually, after I really thought about it, it's not even about scroll limits. It's about taking responsibility for your actions. If you are scroll-locked, don't breed. If you do, you can't have that egg. You have to make decisions about what you do in this game, and I don't think the game should be there holding your hand going "oh no, you want that egg even though you are locked?? okay, that's fine, we can get around that lock, no worries." That's just not right. Man up and make your decisions, and face the consequences.

Though it should be the breeder's responsibility to check, but there should be something to help them.

There is. There are actually 2 things...the little trophy on your scroll page, or the help link on the same page. And it will even let you know if you are locked due to hatchies instead of eggs. Clicking the trophy to check takes all of three seconds.

If TJ decides a warning is ok, fine. I am totally opposed to letting anyone keep an egg they bred while locked. Says the person who once auto-abandoned a third gen gold. My fault for not checking. But I've never done it again.

But my vote goes to disabling breeding if locked.

I can imagine a lot of outcry on that one. Some people breed when locked on purpose to send desirable eggs to the AP without having to abandon each one. I've done it on occasion with BSA dragons such as reds, pinks, purples, and magis. That's also why a too-intrusive warning [such as a pop-up] is disliked because it adds an extra step to something that people are doing specifically to avoid extra steps.

I'd prefer the warning, but I'd only be okay with either if I could disable it. I sometimes breed a lot of dragons with intent of sending the eggs to the AP, so it would be annoying to see a pop up message every time I do so.

-shrug-

I think there's too much "you have to do it this way and be an adult" mentality going on here. This is an adoptable site where people collect things. Swapping an egg for another if you've bred it doesn't affect things one bit. You're still scroll locked, you're still sending an egg to the AP regardless of what happens. You're not getting around scroll limits. There's still a limit whether you like it or not. There is still an egg that you can't keep even if you want it.

Doesn't make any difference to me.

Personally I don't care either way if the idea is implemented or not, I just thought the argument against it was silly.

I'll also take the time to point out that if you have a trophy, you can just click your trophy and be led to that page without having to go to help -> egg limits.

I never knew that! Thanks for pointing it out! biggrin.gif

Absolutely not from me.

I don't do it often, sure. But sometimes I like to breed nice dragons to dump decent-lineaged eggs to the AP. Makes it easy to just keep dumping if I'm at my limit rather than putting it off then breeding and dumping, breeding and dumping.

I suppose, if it were an option, that wouldn't be so bad. People who never breed to dump could be safe but people who are trying to breed to dump won't end up unable to do so.

I think what I dislike overall about the suggestion in this thread is that... It's basically trying to save people from themselves. Making mistakes happens. While it's nice to have safety nets, eventually you just have to own up to your mistakes and learn from them and move on, no matter how disappointing they are. If there were a safety net for everything, it'd be boring.

Edited by KageSora

Honestly, I think this suggestion is better:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=119730

What happens if ALL of the eggs you have are ones you want/need to keep? With the suggestion I linked to it lets you know BEFORE you breed that there's a problem.

I agree. Also, if this older suggestion is used, you avoid having to go through extra steps if you were intending to breed to release in the first place – you only have a warning on the breed page to ignore. The current suggestion would make me click "NO" in order to release as intended.

I'd prefer the 'warning if you breed you will exceed your limit' notice when you attempt to breed - on the 'select a dragon to breed this dragon with' page, that way those who are deliberately breeding for the AP can ignore it, and those who have more hatchies than they realised but only a couple of eggs can instantly see that the egg that may be produced WILL be AP so they can cancel the breed before they breed.

This proposed function is essentially promoting irresponsible cherrypicking.

Right now, if you want to breed something while locked, you'll have to abandon or give away one of your current eggs before you can proceed and try for a chance to breed someething, leaving you to determine rather the risk of the pair(s) not producing anything is worth it. (Yes, you can bypass this by having a friend hold for you, but like IOU this is not an official part of the game)

Like some of the users above, I'd prefer a warning that "the egg(s) produced will be auto-abandoned" before breeding over this proposed function.

Swap - No

Warning - OK

^yes^

Absolutely not. Loke others - I breed for the AP - I sent a couple of really nice 2nd gen pretties there on purpose just yesterday - done that way simply to avoid the effort of abandoning what I had PLANNED to send there.

I really don't like this idea. I have accidentally bred dragons before when I was locked and lost the eggs. No big deal, I was upset with myself for a few minutes. But know what, someone else ended up with a nice dragon. I am sure that is how I have gotten some of my eggs from the AP as well, it is just part of the game. I also breed nice eggs and BSA dragons when I am locked for the AP.

And actually, after I really thought about it, it's not even about scroll limits. It's about taking responsibility for your actions. If you are scroll-locked, don't breed. If you do, you can't have that egg. You have to make decisions about what you do in this game, and I don't think the game should be there holding your hand going "oh no, you want that egg even though you are locked?? okay, that's fine, we can get around that lock, no worries." That's just not right. Man up and make your decisions, and face the consequences.

Seconded, and worded better than I could have.

I would use/abuse this system to the fullest.

if it were allowed to keep an egg while locked, there would be no reason to ever make space for a new one upfront.

if you get a temporary 8th slot, why shouldn't you use it then?

-> big no from me. The intent of this proposal is met in how you want it to be implemented. But a lot of other stuff is also enabled/changed, one of it being the only limiting factor DC has.

I'm sure it's all happened to you...

"The two dragons breed to produce an egg. One of the dragons is a gold, and the other is a water dragon. They produce a gold egg. However, you have too many eggs at the moment, so we'll abandon this priceless gold lineage and leave you with your cheap-rubbishy commons. Have fun smashing your desk to bits."

I've been thinking about this for a while now, instead of abandoning the egg bred, it should bring up a screen with all the eggs the user has, including the one bred, and the player has to choose what egg gets abandoned.

Please leave your feedback.

PS: I did search for this and couldn't find anything related

Reminds me of the original set-up of the site, where you could catch up to 4 eggs and breed a 5th. Which definitely had its advantages.

This idea has been around before. It usually winds up about 50/50 for and against.

The ones that are against it, always use the arguement that you should be responsible and only breed when you have open egg slots.

Personally, I think that's kind of lame.. because you never know what you might get AFTER you fill all your slots.. and since we are in control of the eggs, we should have the option of which one(s) to abandon.

On the one hand, this would be hella convenient.

On the other hand, it seems almost unfair that we can choose to shower the AP with debris while keeping all the goodies for ourselves.

It just seems like cheating to me to be able to keep breeding if you are locked and then keep a good egg if you get one. I could support it if there were a limit of one egg per a certain time period -- maybe a day. That would cover the accidental breeding-while-locked scenario without allowing mass breeding until you get an egg you want to keep.

To be honest, I think it's your risk and your responsibility to make sure you have enough space before breeding dragons offsprings of which you indend to keep - it isn'tt difficult. The egglimits page is there for a reason (your trophy links to it, by the way; some people don't know so I thought to mention), and nothing prevents anyone from checking it beforehand. ^^

Apart from that, there are people who breed when egglocked on purpose, in order to throw some nice eggs into the AP. If the page you are suggesting pops up every time they do so, it won't be too convenient.

To be short, I don't support. And just in case: yes, I've had eggs, important ones too, auto-AP on me before, but I don't consider it a problem serious enough to do something about it. smile.gif

What ZzelaBusya said.

There's a *really* simple way to not have the OP's situation happen: Don't breed wanted dragons when you are locked. Simple.

If you are breeding specifically for the AP, then breed away! And this won't matter at all.

If you have a pairing (like gold/water) where one of the outcomes is WANT EGG, then don't chance it. Don't breed that pairing when you are locked, because you *know* there's a chance of that outcome. You already *know* it. It's not a surprise.

I do not support these suggestions (it's been suggested multiple times before) because just like sickness or getting enough views, breeding is something *you* should be responsible for keeping track of.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon qith the NO people. Use the egg limits page before you breed. Ik like finding lost gems in the AP.

There's quite an easy way to see how many eggs you have. This page will always show how many eggs you currently have and we have a sorting method where you place the eggs and unfrozen hatchlings automatically on top (in account -> change sort order). All you need to do is count your eggs. So I don't see a reason why we should be able to keep a bred egg on top of the egg limit we've already reached. Sure, it's too bad you loose the egg. But it's also your own responsibility. And it's not like you can't breed the couple ever again......

I've got one lineage which I've been building and I don't breed them when I'm egglocked. I'll just wait for a slot to open up.

But that's just my opinion.