Flamingo

Doing Away With Auto-AP

I've seen several instances where a person has bred a dragon pair successfully only to have it auto-abandoned against their will due to exceeding their egg limit. I suggest an option that allows us to swap the bred egg with another egg in our possession to be abandoned instead. The text could, for example, say: "Your dragons have produced an egg, but you already have plenty of eggs to care for. Keep this egg and release another? [YES] [NO]"

Clicking NO would abandon it. Selecting YES would take you to a new screen resembling the teleport screen, where you could select the other egg to abandon. When faced with a multi clutch, you could also select which egg from the multi clutch to keep. The rest of the clutch and the swapped egg would then be abandoned. This way is only a suggestion and if anyone has a better way please describe.

You: Why is this an issue? People should pay attention to their scroll limits.

I agree, but sometimes things happen. Like the person has picked up an egg from the cave or AP they didn't intent and don't notice. Lots of people have thought they missed an egg only to have claimed it anyway. Maybe a hatchling-for-egg trade went through without the person's notice. That has happened to me in the short amount of time between checking the trade status and the pair's breeding, leaving me saying "wtf?" when my egg was auto-AP'd. Or maybe they have dead eggs and thought the 24 hour timer was up. So it's more than just forgetting to count the limit.

Comments, other suggestions?

Yeah, I like the idea of a warning message a lot better then giving people the ability to pick-and-choose *after* they breed.

Honestly, I think this suggestion is better:

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=119730

What happens if ALL of the eggs you have are ones you want/need to keep?  With the suggestion I linked to it lets you know BEFORE you breed that there's a problem.

I do like the warning idea. I tried to do a search for posts pertaining to auto APing but was unsuccessful (did not search auto=ap). If people would rather have the warning than an alternate AP option then this thread is moot.

With trading you could still become locked after opening the breed screen for a dragon, unless the warning pops up after you make the dragon selection. Reading through the other thread some people seem oppossed to anything that would disrupt the flow of breeding with the purpose to auto abandon.

Edit: Also wouldn't we as dragon breeders be able to choose what eggs we want kept anyway, in terms of 'in character'? Why is it assumed we would choose to abandon a rare metal or whatever when we have a common egg to abandon instead?

Edited by Flamingo

Edit: Also wouldn't we as dragon breeders be able to choose what eggs we want kept anyway, in terms of 'in character'? Why is it assumed we would choose to abandon a rare metal or whatever when we have a common egg to abandon instead?

Not really. If you are egg or hatchie locked, you cannot pick up another egg. Breeding when you are locked just boots the extra egg that suddenly appeared that you can't have. It could be changed, if TJ so decides, but til then, it's the last egg that goes.

But to me a little warning message is a lot less disruptive than having to choose which egg to abandon if you're breeding for the AP.

I do agree that it makes sense to be able to choose. I just think it's more practical to be stopped before breeding.

I'd definitely prefer there to be a warning before breeding. If we're able to breed while we're locked, but then still potentially take the egg if it's a better choice than the ones we've got already on our scroll, that kind of seems to me to defeat the limits a little. I think if something like this were implemented, people would start asking why we can't have a similar feature for hunting in the cave when you're egg locked. I think there was already a suggestion once to be able to swap an egg for whatever you just picked up and this seems kinda similar to me.

I dunno... I'd just really prefer a warning message before rather than something like this. I think it'd also be a little disruptive if you were mass breeding for the AP or something.

I get why you want this, but I think it should be the persons responsibility to manage their dragons. Even if the egg auto-AP's you still have the two parent dragons and can just try again, so it will take longer but its not like the two parents will randomly refuse to breed, its not gone forever.

Plus I would find the "are you sure you want to auto-AP" warning annoying, as I auto-AP like 90% of my eggs.

I prefer the warning message, too.

But, if something like this were implemented, then I would have to say that it would need to take 5-hour cooldown into account. You could NOT swap out an egg that you couldn't abandon.

But really, I prefer a warning prior to breeding.

Edited by KageSora

I agree, a warning would be just as good, and it would also prevent people trying to cheat their scroll limits. Imagine you breed several pairs for a gold x alt black checker (with "alt" starting at gen 2), and you get a number of black eggs, either of which might turn out to be alts. Now, under normal circumstances, you cannot breed more eggs for yoruself. But if you could, and bred a gold, you could kind of cheat the system by abandoning one of the more common blacks for the rare gold.

I really don't like this suggestion. I can understand the frustration of breeding that pair of stubborn dragons, having them finally produce an egg, only to watch it roll off the edge of your scroll and into the AP!

But things happen. Scroll limits and auto-abandon are not new, so we should keep them in mind when breeding. I just see this as having too much use to cheat the system and see which pair gives you the best egg before having to decide which to keep.

I actually like the idea of both the swapping and warning.

I've never accidentally bred something to have it be auto abandoned (only when I knew it would go the the AP) but both the pre-warning and the swap is appealing to me. I know we couldn't have both (that would be weird) but I certainly wouldn't mind either one!~

I'd rather have the message. The swap is - as many have said - too much like cheating. You now know the pair can breed - try again when you are NOT locked. And count your eggs first. xd.png

I'd rather have the message. The swap is - as many have said - too much like cheating. You now know the pair can breed - try again when you are NOT locked. And count your eggs first. xd.png

This. And there's this helpful little link, in help, that tells you how many egg / hatchie slots you have *used*. I check that before breeding. In fact, I've bookmarked it, so I can check it quickly.

And honestly? If you have an offer out on a trade, then you should be *saving* that slot, just in case the trade is accepted. I find it very irritating to go to accept a trade and have the person on the other end too locked to accept the trade. And I've at timed accepted a lesser trade rather than wait and see if the other person magically unlocks.

C4.

I'm all for a message even though for me I'm good with the way it is now too. I like the auto-abandon, especially on holidays. I sometimes intentionally breed when I'm locked so that I don't have to go abandon the egg myself. Sometimes I want to breed a pair with no interest in the offspring.

This. And there's this helpful little link, in help, that tells you how many egg / hatchie slots you have *used*. I check that before breeding. In fact, I've bookmarked it, so I can check it quickly.

And honestly? If you have an offer out on a trade, then you should be *saving* that slot, just in case the trade is accepted. I find it very irritating to go to accept a trade and have the person on the other end too locked to accept the trade. And I've at timed accepted a lesser trade rather than wait and see if the other person magically unlocks.

C4.

YES.

YES YES YES YES.

Though it is also wise - if breeding for an IOU - to check the recipient's scroll first *blushes daintily*

I have had to hold a few eggs when I haven't remembered to...

I'll also take the time to point out that if you have a trophy, you can just click your trophy and be led to that page without having to go to help -> egg limits.

~

This is really something people need to watch for themselves. I sometimes do lineages for myself but I always check and double check and triple check my scroll and then the egg limits page, especially for lineages that are really important to me. However, most the time I mass breed nice lineages/BSAs for the AP and this would just make me stop. It's time consuming finding all those dragons in the first place, no need to tell me they'll auto-abandon when I know that and want them to, anyway.

I'll also take the time to point out that if you have a trophy, you can just click your trophy and be led to that page without having to go to help -> egg limits.

Oh Socky .. blimey ... I never knew I could do that or maybe I knew but never really paid much attention .... thanks for the reminder! wub.gif

I like this idea. Though I don't normally breed my dragons regardless, I almost had an incident where I would've bred my dragons and they would've gone to the AP. I think that a warning beforehand wouldn't be as efficient because some (lazy) people tend to skim over things when reading, even if it is bright and red. (AKA me.)

I think if there is a bright red warning and you still make the mistake, then it's all on you. DragonCave shouldn't have to hold your hand.

Scroll limits are in place for a reason. This suggestion is *much* too close to abusing scroll limits. "Sure, I'm egg-locked, which I *know* means that I can't have anymore eggs, but I can just breed these dragons anyways and then *if* an egg is bred that I want, I can get around that limit by deciding to swap!" No. Just no. Either keep a "breed only" spot open at all times, or don't breed when you are locked. Simple.

I think if there is a bright red warning and you still make the mistake, then it's all on you. DragonCave shouldn't have to hold your hand.

Scroll limits are in place for a reason. This suggestion is *much* too close to abusing scroll limits. "Sure, I'm egg-locked, which I *know* means that I can't have anymore eggs, but I can just breed these dragons anyways and then *if* an egg is bred that I want, I can get around that limit by deciding to swap!" No. Just no. Either keep a "breed only" spot open at all times, or don't breed when you are locked. Simple.

True, but people do tend to forget. If there isn't this suggestion in place, then maybe a warning should be there. There should at least be something, because people's memories aren't very perfect. (And some users don't have their eggs at the top of their page.) Though it should be the breeder's responsibility to check, but there should be something to help them.

I would be easier to make ti a held egg that you have 30 minutes to claim, and can't claim until you make room. That way it could use similar coding to the already in-game holiday clutch system.

It would still be getting around the limits in the sense already described by others [if you get a good egg you can dump something else]

Honestly I don't see the problem at all. I'm even musing over both suggestions being fused, then you'd have a pretty good safety net.

What's wrong with swapping an egg? That's what I'd like to know.

"But you're getting around the scroll limits!"

No you aren't. You're still abandoning an egg, the limits don't care what kind of egg it is. It seems pretty fair to me that if you breed an egg that you could swap it out for something you already have. What if you dump an equally good egg as the one that you bred, but you wanted the one that you bred instead? I don't see the harm or the fuss about it at all.

It's getting around the scroll limits because you are being given the *option* of keeping that egg even though you bred it while scroll-locked.

There are certain things on DragonCave that are just simple plain facts, and either users know them already or, if they are newbies, they will learn them soon enough. One fact is that there *are* limits to how many eggs/hatchlings you can have at a time. That's just a fact. Another fact is that, if you breed two dragons *while* scroll-locked, any resulting egg will be tossed to the AP, because you *are scroll-locked*. That's a fact.

And I don't think it's a fact that needs to be changed. If you are at your limit, that's it. It's a *limit* for a reason. There shouldn't *be* loopholes where, yeah, I'm at my limit, BUT I can still have that bred egg if I abandon something else first, even though I KNOWINGLY bred while locked". That's just not right.

I completely support a big warning reminding users that their bred eggs will be Auto-APed. I completely support that. I do *not* support giving users ways to work around scroll limits.