Iza111

Subtitles, or your language?

Subtitles for anything. I really dislike hearing an English speaker in exchange for the proper language and tones that I should be hearing that properly mesh with what I'm seeing.

It's rare for me to find a dubbed show/movie to actually sound as it "should." I'll just stick to subbed whenever I can happy.gif

It depends.

A lot of things I watch subbed simply because they weren't dubbed. Or because the dub is horrible.

But not every dub is absolutely horrible, and a lot of them have their own good points.

It also sometimes depends on what I get exposed to first. Or what I have longer exposure to (I can't really go back to English for Case Closed, I've seen Detective Conan in Japanese too much to stand his English voice. xd.png)

Unless it's live action. I hate dubs for live action, the words not matching the lip movements is horribly disconcerting for me and I will just flat-out not watching something (even if there isn't a subbed version) if my only choice is live-action dubbed over in another language.

Hmm, it depends. I don't really mind subtitles (You Are Umasou! <3)

FULL STOP.

Another You Are Umasou! fan?? :'D

/off-topic

also yeah i mentioned this before but i was being sincere when i said neither. If I had to pick, I'd say subtitles. But I watch a lot of shows without any sort of translation.

The Ice Ages movies though, I actually prefer dubbed. Gotta love the Norwegian Sid xd.png

YES. He is awesome! xd.png

I'm okey with watching cartoons dubbed, since it doesn't have have the lip-syncing problem and the authors face allready connected to his voice. (try watching Castle in French. o.O Not even similair...) But even then you occasionally stumble accross O.o moments. Like 'How to train your dragon' The Norwegian voice for Hiccup doesn't really fit...

It depends for me.

If I'm watching live action then I definitely prefer subtitles (if it's not in my language). But, when it comes to anime, I don't really have a preference. Dubbed versions are just as good to me as the subbed versions. Sometimes voices in the dubbed version annoy me while other times voices in the subbed version annoy me. It all depends on which anime I'm watching.

i like dub. not really sure why, i've just always preferred it. i like listening to other languages even if i have no idea what they're saying without subtitles. xd.png

For the love of god, I hate watching a movie not in my language and hear a crappy dub, I would very much rather there be subtitles, because it keeps the movie authentic and not seem like a cheesy Bruce Lee voice dub.

depends on the show.

a lot of time, if I really like the show, I'll watch both versions.

Original language with english subtitles.

Yes, even if the audio is in english and my first language it's spanish.

I prefer english in general, but that depends, when it's in french or dutch i watch without subs, but when it's a language i don't understand i prefer english dub, sometimes i like subtitles, the problem with subs is that i miss scenes trying to read the text, instead of watching the film i put my attention on the subs

I like both. Subtitles allow you to get the full feel of the original and catch nuances that may not translate into another language well. However listening to it in english allows me to pay more attention to the actual scene/movie/anime/whatever.

I prefer to watch "foreign" movies with English dubbing and subtitles if they are both available. The dubbed movies used to be pretty bad but are much better these days; at least they aren't laughable.

Subtitles alone are fine with me too. I don't find them distracting at all.

I grew up with subtitles on TV so I'm used watching pretty much everything in the original language and normally prefer it this way. With that being said, dubs can be excellent and very enjoyable to watch and there are certain shows where I will choose a dub over sub every single time I decide to watch it.

I used to say I hated subtitles, but a while ago, I saw a Japanese movie that had been dubbed to English and it was... awful. Not a decent movie to begin with (and a rather old one so the technology's undoubtably gotten better), but the actors sounded weird, and the picture didn't match up with what was being said. So definitely subtitles.

Original all the way (with subtitles of course). There are naturally few exceptions, but basically the original is the best tongue.gif

i've tried to watch dubs before but a lot of the time i visibly cringed at the voicing, which i'm really picky about

i prefer subs and japanese names personally, but with ghibli movies i find they do a really great job casting english voices so i don't mind watching those in english.

I like the original language, with subtitles in my own, because in original language you can better understand if an actor is good and the script is also more understanding. Off course I need subtitles in order not to lose the meaning. The only cases I liked translated films more than the original, was in some disney movies because the actors who dubbed it, were very good and improvising with the script making it more funny, or the script had some changes who made it more familiar and the lyrics of the songs had also pretty good translations.

I prefer the original language, with english subtitles. My own language is Greek and usually the translations suck in one way or another (idioms are mistranslated, some parts are left out completely)...so whatever the original language is, english subtitles are usually better. Of course if something is in English to begin with I'd rather have no subtitles at all since they can be distracting.

The only thing I don't resent watching dubbed is some old Disney films, simply because I grew up with the Greek versions and they were actually pretty decent.