Iza111

Subtitles, or your language?

Well, I watch anime a lot, and I'm trying to learn Japanese so I can travel to Japan one day and be able to converse with people without looking like an idiot foreigner. I always watch with subtitles. I've picked up a few words and phrases that way.

I prefer english subtitles and japanese audio. The english subtitles are always more accurate than the dubs. Sometimes you get a bad dub and whatever they are saying isn't anywhere close to what they were saying in japanese. And then sometimes you get confused by the story because they leave things out. I find that anime is pretty simple and they deliver the plot very easily without any confusing and they also leave a lot of hints and foreshadowing, and sometimes the dub leaves those hints out or makes it not so straight forward. Cardcaptors, the Card Captor Sakura dub, is pretty much a whole different show because of how inaccurate the dub is.

And sometimes the audio in most TV shows is weird. Sometimes the voice audio is very quiet but all the background noise or music is extremely loud, so if you want to hear what they said you have to really crank it up. I like having subtitles so I can watch the show very quietly and I won't misunderstand what the character said.

Also, for some reason dubbed voice actors seem to be terrible most of the time. They often sound like they are just reading a script instead of acting, and often the voices just don't fit the character right. There's also things that the japanese language can deliver properly that the english language just can't. There's definitely a lot of times where I'm watching an anime and they are saying something in a humorous way and it's funny, but I think "If this was in english it wouldn't be funny, it would just sound really stupid."

I prefer english subtitles and japanese audio. The english subtitles are always more accurate than the dubs. Sometimes you get a bad dub and whatever they are saying isn't anywhere close to what they were saying in japanese. And then sometimes you get confused by the story because they leave things out. I find that anime is pretty simple and they deliver the plot very easily without any confusing and they also leave a lot of hints and foreshadowing, and sometimes the dub leaves those hints out or makes it not so straight forward. Cardcaptors, the Card Captor Sakura dub, is pretty much a whole different show because of how inaccurate the dub is.

And sometimes the audio in most TV shows is weird. Sometimes the voice audio is very quiet but all the background noise or music is extremely loud, so if you want to hear what they said you have to really crank it up. I like having subtitles so I can watch the show very quietly and I won't misunderstand what the character said.

Also, for some reason dubbed voice actors seem to be terrible most of the time. They often sound like they are just reading a script instead of acting, and often the voices just don't fit the character right. There's also things that the japanese language can deliver properly that the english language just can't. There's definitely a lot of times where I'm watching an anime and they are saying something in a humorous way and it's funny, but I think "If this was in english it wouldn't be funny, it would just sound really stupid."

This.

I'm pretty sure that in One Piece dub, they cut out a whole arc thinking that it was filler. It wasn't.

Sub pretty much goes for anything. Yes, the letters distract me, and sometimes i miss funny background events or stuff like that, but it's the closest thing to the original.

I loath watching foreign films with with english dubbing and would much rather if they had subtitles.

However when I watch an originally english film in my second language (russian) I vastly prefer if it to be dubbed.

I like watching in English with English subtitles. It has become a habit for me, which is strange because I have terrible eyesight. But I can't watch TV without subtitles. Movies are fine, though.

Subtitles definitely! It's interesting to hear other languages. Besides that, weird lip syncing just is really bad.

i've tried to watch dubs before but a lot of the time i visibly cringed at the voicing, which i'm really picky about

i prefer subs and japanese names personally, but with ghibli movies i find they do a really great job casting english voices so i don't mind watching those in english.

Yeah, sometimes Ghibli does okay with english dubs. But they did horrible in Princess Mononoke. I swear, the actress who voiced Moro didn't even look at the expressions or surrounding dialogue. She sounded bored and hollow in every scene.

Yeah, sometimes Ghibli does okay with english dubs. But they did horrible in Princess Mononoke. I swear, the actress who voiced Moro didn't even look at the expressions or surrounding dialogue. She sounded bored and hollow in every scene.

That's kind of how Moro sounds in Japanese, though.

I prefer subtitles. Dubbed dialogue usually sounds clunky, and the voices don't fit the faces of the characters.

I like original language, sometimes it gets a bit distracting to read subtitles and watch the show at the same time.

But anime is usually better with subtitles.