TJ09

2012-06-25 - Pagination Updates

I don't think people should be calling concerns and oppositions to this change "whining". It's very disrespectful and rude to diminish other people's opinions and feelings because you don't agree with them.

I'd love to make custom groups like Chickensmoothie has and Nyoka is working on =) If a 'View All' would please people too, I'm for that feature as well. Wouldn't hurt me and people could still have their large scrolls, so why not.

Edit: To those it may concern: thanks.

Edited by Nine

I'm confused as to where people are getting the, "Why are you taking away my dragons?" and "Why are you limiting how many dragons I can have?" ideas from.

No one's dragons are going anywhere. They're just being put in pages. Why are people saying that TJ is taking their dragons away from them or making it impossible for them to get more?

I'm confused as to where people are getting the, "Why are you taking away my dragons?" and "Why are you limiting how many dragons I can have?" ideas from.

No one's dragons are going anywhere. They're just being put in pages. Why are people saying that TJ is taking their dragons away from them or making it impossible for them to get more?

I'm guessing people are saying that pages are that foreign to them, that they'll have difficulty finding their dragons so it'll be like they're getting taken away.

Just what I've put together.

It was posted we were having issues, not that changes were being made on a whim.

Reminder:

Please attack the topic not each other.

Quoted Z's reminder. Please refrain from name calling/insulting others as well.

Oh yeah when u first started, there was a HUGE number of dragons on a page. So I changed it to 50. Thanks for the update! Now no one has to worry about seeing other peoples dragons that don't fit on other pages.

I liked it better before, but if it's what TJ thinks is best, so be it. It's not that big of a change, and the less glitchy, the better. Besides, I don't think I'll ever have more than five hundred dragons any time soon and I don't view people's scrolls very often, so this probably won't effect me.

Hmm, i was never a big fan of pagination for our scrolls, but didn't really mind it since we could have the option of no pages. I enjoyed being able to see all of my dragons on one page. It is a thoughtful update, but now I feel like the dragons on later pages will be neglected D:

I think it might really have something to do with how it effects their ability to play since I recall seeing a couple people who use their phones to access the site say that the pages don't work right on the phones so they can't access their dragons.

To me it is just inconvenient as all get out *shrugs* but there do seem to be at least some people who have legitimate complainants about how this affects their ability to play the game.

Not to be pedantic, but isn't a scroll, by definition, one long roll of paper--in other words, not several pages? That would be a book. Or a pamphlet or something.

Eh, whatever, not that big a deal.

/me goes to re-sort pamphlet

Edited by Sadako

I have less than 500 dragons so this won't really effect me. I don't think I'd be bothered by it anyway, I use to use "pagination" but then I liked just scrolling down.

Just putting in my two cents;

I dislike this change. I never had any problems viewing my entire scroll or anyone elses, being forced down to 500 per page is extremely inconvenient as I find my BSA dragons via CTRL+F and the name of a dragon in that group. Having to go to another page to find what I'm looking for is just tedious and painful for something that used to take less than two seconds.

I prefer having all of my dragons in one place. I dislike seeing them broken up across pages, especially when sorting things that are now no longer on page one. The options are basically "Keep multiple tabs open and try to juggle them all" or "Navigate back and forth while you decide what needs to go in what order" as opposed to simply scrolling from one dragon to another or using CTRL+F .

...Eh, I hate this, quite frankly. This really feels like a solution forced onto the masses to appease a few (who already had the option of using pages with reduced load numbers to begin with)

Are people actually mad about this, are you serious. People are actually mad that they must now click a link to see the rest of their ridiculous number of dragons.

I'm not understanding why it's such a problem for some users to click a link to see the rest of their dragons. ._. It takes like two seconds, and then you can open it in another tab so you can see still seem all at once, you just need to switch your tab.

Edited by Bernouli

Oh my god, my scroll is now on two pages instead of one. My life is over. This is the worst possible thing that could happen to me, it's like TJ's plotting to make me hate DC or something. So awful.

How about an update where you can actually sort what dragon goes into which page?

Examples:

a Page that has all BSA dragons (reds, pinks, purples, etc.)

a Page that has all your most active breedable pairs

a Page for inbreds

a Page for Frozen hatchies, etc.

I've used the pages since they've been made available, but I feel pages should be better implemented that arbitrarily cutting off after X amount of dragons in one page.

(If anyone is familiar with Magistream, I'm thinking of the way tabs were implemented into the Keep. A link to my no longer used account that shows the tabs: http://magistream.com/user/imposibibble)

Edited by Imposibibble

I really doubt that TJ made this change just to appease the people who were having trouble loading their whole page -- especially since, as a lot of people have pointed out, they could just enable multiple pages on their own.

I think there must have been a deeper problem that would sooner or later have affected us all. Unfortunately TJ has always tended to be rather cryptic in his explanations, which leaves things open to question by those who are displeased.

I understand the frustration of those who don't like pagination. I have been using it for quite some time to speed up loading, but I still get frustrated with it sometimes when I have trouble locating the dragon I want because I can't remember which page it is on.

edited for typing fail

Edited by purplehaze

I don't see an issue here. Its not a gift its an update with out debate whether you like it or not. At least we are being told whats going on.

Just putting in my two cents;

I dislike this change. I never had any problems viewing my entire scroll or anyone elses, being forced down to 500 per page is extremely inconvenient as I find my BSA dragons via CTRL+F and the name of a dragon in that group. Having to go to another page to find what I'm looking for is just tedious and painful for something that used to take less than two seconds.

I prefer having all of my dragons in one place. I dislike seeing them broken up across pages, especially when sorting things that are now no longer on page one. The options are basically "Keep multiple tabs open and try to juggle them all" or "Navigate back and forth while you decide what needs to go in what order" as opposed to simply scrolling from one dragon to another or using CTRL+F .

...Eh, I hate this, quite frankly. This really feels like a solution forced onto the masses to appease a few (who already had the option of using pages with reduced load numbers to begin with)

^that. i do the same. Now i'll need to have 3 tabs open to find my dragons by name x_x

If there's absolutely no choice, i won't stop playing drag cave (although my scroll has been somewhat neglected lately... ) but still, i'd love to see all my dragons in just one place, to find them easily, specially when i'm having trouble with my internet.

ú.ù

Wow, some people are really ragging on others in here. Look, guys, I don't like the change. It doesn't mean I'm some whiny quitter who's going to run off in tears and suddenly hate DC. I just preferred having them all on one page because it made ctrl + f really convenient. If it was changed because it was causing large issues we can't see on our end (which is likely), then of course it was necessary. If, however, it turns out there's a better solution than pagination, I would prefer to see that used.

In the meantime the mockery and looks of disapproval can stop, thanks.

Not to be pedantic, but isn't a scroll, by definition, one long roll of paper--in other words, not several pages? That would be a book. Or a pamphlet or something.

Eh, whatever, not that big a deal.

/me goes to re-sort pamphlet

I will now only be happy if the 'scroll' link is changed to a 'pamphlet' link.

It is what must be done.

I have it set to 250 I think (ever since it was an option) and I know which page my important dragons are on (BSA dragons purples 3-4 pinks & reds 4, and I recently moved my golds and silvers to page 1 instead of page 3, and my CB pinks and purples and reds are on page 3, my backup BSAers) The BSAs are slowly migrating to page 4 since I have them stuffed at the back of my scroll.

Basically it might be annoying at first, but I got used to it and so can you. xP

You know I have to say that I am disappointed in the people who feel the need to insult those who do have an issue with the change. As I said there are people who don't have computer access and play on their phones. There appears to be some reason that they aren't able to go to the different page links. If this is the case then that is a legitimate problem for these players. One of the reasons that I have stopped playing as much is because of the backlash people get when they voice a problem. Those who refer to them as "whiners" add to the drama more then those who are simply stating their problem with whatever change has taken place. Is civility really that much to ask for?

Not meant to be an attack on anyone, just an observant and food for thought.

*leaving*

I have found that since being forced to have the pagination update, my scroll actually takes LONGER to load--yes, even with over half of my dragons moved to additional pages. Other websites do not also reflect this loading lag, so it is not my internet and it is definitely only my scroll on DC.

I am one of the MANY people who had no issues in any browser I chose to use for DC (primarily Firefox, and occasionally Chrome when the former is being a PITA in general). I do not appreciate being forced to have this update--an update I don't want. I know I wasn't guaranteed that I would never have to use pages, but when the page feature was introduced we were told we would have a choice in how our scrolls are displayed for ourselves and in how we view others' scrolls. I chose, quite happily, to have all my dragons displayed on one page.

While I am happy to see that my favored sorting tool is not affected by the page update, I am inconvenienced by having to search for my BSA dragons on another page. Like others, I also use Ctrl+F to get to them quickly. I also refuse to spend hours resorting my scroll that I already spent hours getting just the way I like to conform to the forced page limits. I'll just wait for the day when the option to view my entire scroll comes back. In the end, it isn't a huge deal, but this is not how I want things to be.

I am also a bit frustrated by the fact that there is little to no explanation of why this has been forced on all of us to help the relatively few people who were having issues. A more detailed original post by TJ would be appreciated. It's a hard pill to swallow when a forced change is sprung on you with no warning and no explanation. If I knew why I had to put up with this, I wouldn't be complaining at all beyond a simple "Aw, that sucks, but okay. Thanks for telling us."

Also, people posting sarcastic, rude, and condescending messages mocking the people who have legitimate concerns about the update really need to just stop. It's not cute, and belittling anyone who has even the smallest complaint is not adding anything worthwhile to the conversation.

Edited by mooniechan

Yeah, I don't think people should be discouraged from posting their disappointment or dislike of a new feature because some users may mock them for it. It's a form of bullying. Plus, I find topics like this provide a great opportunity for brainstorming and coming up with new/even better features =) Who knows, maybe TJ will read this thread and decide he really likes the idea X person suggested. Could help make DC a better place for everyone.

Custom group sorting, scroll searching, and view all pages all sound like good ideas to me. Well, maybe not all of them at once, haha. On-site scroll searching is my favorite idea out of all of them, I know I'd use it to quickly find unnamed dragons-- I swear they camouflage themselves among the named ones.