TJ09

2012-06-25 - Pagination Updates

I will now only be happy if the 'scroll' link is changed to a 'pamphlet' link.

It is what must be done.

/me points to signature

Are people actually mad about this, are you serious.  People are actually mad that they must now click a link to see the rest of their ridiculous number of dragons.

Yes people are actually mad about this because this actually inconveniences some people (i.e: people who have had their dragons listed/sorted the way they wanted and have now had this completely messed up by this pagination, or people like me who just do not like pages.)

^ That. Also for the "ridiculous" number of dragons, well--when you customize how your scroll looks, you also customize how other's look, so our "ridiculous" amounts of dragons should not harm your viewing experience at all.

If you ever gain very large numbers of dragons, and then find it a bit annoying to have to flip through a few links to locate the ones you need, then perhaps you will feel some empathy for us.

And again, if this turns out to be a behind-the-scenes issue that created the need for a change, then no one will be complaining at all (or at least, not complaining in a way other than to suggest a better new idea than pagination, haha).

Wow. I can understand voicing an opinion on the situation, but when people start saying how they're going to quit the game because of this, how they now 'hate' the game...unbelieveable. I'm not calling anyone anything here, but I will say this...if you were on another game that I play, and you said this kind negative stuff about what the admins chose to do, being called a 'whiner' would be the least of your worries. lol I think people here are being pretty nice considering the level of the whin...**cough**..negative opinions being expressed.

This is TJs game. Bottom line? He does what he wants, when he wants. He doesn't need approval, and he isn't required to give any of us advanced notice on what he's going to do with the game and how he's going to run it. No one has to like it, they just have to accept it. smile.gif

I have over 900 dragons. This is no big deal. At all.

I just hope TJ doesn't get annoyed and choose to delay the release of the next new dragon by a few months to reallly give people something to complain about. lol

Edited by MedievalMystic

This is TJs game. Bottom line? He does what he wants, when he wants. He doesn't need approval, and he isn't required to give any of us advanced notice on what he's going to do with the game and how he's going to run it. No one has to like it, they just have to accept it.

TJ may own the game, but where would he be without people to play it? Nowhere.

Players are just as important as creators in my opinion.

TJ may own the game, but where would he be without people to play it? Nowhere.

Maybe. But there are thousands and thousands of people that play this game. And I think that those that just go with the flow far outnumber those that don't. I doubt TJ has any worries there.

And just because we choose to play this awesome, totally free game that doesn't cost us a dime, doesn't mean that TJ owes us squat. In my eyes, it's pretty much that simple.

Wow.  I can understand voicing an opinion on the situation, but when people start saying how they're going to quit the game because of this, how they now 'hate' the game...unbelieveable.  I'm not calling anyone anything here, but I will say this...if you were on another game that I play, and you said this kind negative stuff about what the admins chose to do, being called a 'whiner' would be the least of your worries.  lol  I think people here are being pretty nice considering the level of the whin...**cough**..negative opinions being expressed. 

This is TJs game.  Bottom line?  He does what he wants, when he wants.  He doesn't need approval, and he isn't required to give any of us advanced notice on what he's going to do with the game and how he's going to run it.  No one has to like it, they just have to accept it.  smile.gif 

I have over 900 dragons.  This is no big deal.  At all. 

I just hope TJ doesn't get annoyed and choose to delay the release of the next new dragon by a few months to reallly give people something to complain about.  lol

I would like to believe that TJ is nice enough to not shut down the whole game because people are voicing their concerns and dislikes (largely in a reasonable and logical way) about the update.

Yes, it is his game. Yes, we are thankful he runs it for us. But think of it like this: let's say a friend of yours gives you a raisin cookie. Ah, you love cookies, but you hate raisins! So do you just shut up and eat the cookie or do you thank them but also say that you really prefer chocolate chip cookies? I would rather politely and bashfully inform the person about what I like then just sit there and quietly keep receiving something I don't like when they could be giving me something that I do enjoy.

I very much enjoy this game, but this particular change I do not enjoy, so I am saying so. And again, at this point no one is quite entirely certain if the changes were done because there were some massive behind-the-scenes issues or not. Most of the people who are unhappy, such as myself, are unhappy because we are hopeful that this issue wasn't really big enough to warrant the change. If it IS and we are TOLD that it is then of course what is best for the cave is what is best for the cave! In the meantime we don't need to be sneered or jeered at or told we're whiners or that we just need to shut up lest we forever enrage TJ and make the whole game go up in blazes.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

In the meantime we don't need to be sneered or jeered at or told we're whiners or that we just need to shut up lest we forever enrage TJ and make the whole game go up in blazes.

Hmmm...well, you need to take that up with the people that said all that then. I sure didn't say anything like that. You want the right to voice whatever opinion you have. Well, that goes both ways if I'm not mistaken.

lol  I think people here are being pretty nice considering the level of the whin...**cough**..negative opinions being expressed.

Mmm... if that was sarcasm that wasn't meant to suggest those of us with concerns are whiners, then it was poorly done sarcasm.

Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, yes. If people think it's nothing to be concerned about, then they can say so. But calling people whiners and such is uncalled for. And the excuse that "this is the internetz just deal w/it luls" is very poor justification for such things. Just because we're online doesn't mean all sense of politeness needs to go out the bloomin' window.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Yeah, I don't think people should be discouraged from posting their disappointment or dislike of a new feature because some users may mock them for it. It's a form of bullying. Plus, I find topics like this provide a great opportunity for brainstorming and coming up with new/even better features =) Who knows, maybe TJ will read this thread and decide he really likes the idea X person suggested. Could help make DC a better place for everyone.

Custom group sorting, scroll searching, and view all pages all sound like good ideas to me. Well, maybe not all of them at once, haha. On-site scroll searching is my favorite idea out of all of them, I know I'd use it to quickly find unnamed dragons-- I swear they camouflage themselves among the named ones.

I couldn't agree more. If you look at the start of the thread, most of the people who had concerns about the update voiced them in a very polite, adult way. It's not until a few pages in when people start getting sarcastic and going "Oh, wow, you're ACTUALLY complaining about this? Lolz" that the tone lowers. Which, sadly, happens quite a lot on forums. Not just this one.

I personally would love a "search scroll" feature. I don't really like the idea of custom groups - if I wanted to play unicreatures or magistream, I would be. And as for feedback on the pagination: I've had 24 hours to play with it now, and I'm still not fussed on it. It does seem to take longer to load than previously, though that might just be because Firefox is yet to cache the dragons on all the pages after the front one. It *is* somewhat quicker to load on my phone (and I don't have any trouble with the nav links, so I can't really comment on those) but the mobile version of DC has so much text and image space on an iPhone that I rarely use it to access the site anyway. It's practically impossible to catch anything because of all the scrolling you have to do to get past the header and biome links.

I was being my own brand of diplomatic. I haven't said what I really think at all.

Again, if you want the right to voice your opinion, whatever it may be, then you need to be prepared to hear people post their opinion on your opinion, as is their right, even if you disagree with their assesment. That's just the way it is on any forum, no matter where you go.

I don't happen to think that saying that someone is 'whining' is rude...I see it as a simple observation. Now, if someone says, 'Man, you are acting like a stupid idiot and your opinion is so dumb', now that is rude. And no, that's not my personal opinion on what anyone has said here, I'm just using it as an example.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Alright, alright. There's no place here where users may snip at each other. Everybody is allowed an opinion, whether they appreciate the change, dislike the change, or are neutral.

TJ has said the change was due to issues. I do not know exactly what these issues for, but I doubt TJ would have made this change if something else could have fixed it. Perhaps there will be another solution in the future in which we can revert back to one page.

However, right now, I'm going to point people here: Ideas for Scroll View Options: http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=138139

I know many many people are cranky about the new "pagination" thing that is in effect. This thread will NOT be for complaining about it. This thread is purely for gathering ideas that people come up with as a result of the change. With a bit of creativity, and COMPROMISE, im sure we can come up with a way to be able to view our scrolls as one page WITHOUT causing massive drain on the resources.

And I am going to go ahead and close this thread since it seems to have served its purpose in making people aware of the change and has moved on to fighting and insulting.

Please keep debate about whether or not you like the change out of the suggestion thread. It is purely for scroll view options, not for opinions on this change.

Thanks,

~Sock