TJ09

2012-06-25 - Pagination Updates

I have 1000+ dragons and have never had issues with them all on one page. And if people WERE having issues--they can customize their own pages to fix the problem without forcing everyone else to change, no?

That's what's tasting sour about this--I've never had issues at all, and page view is customizable, so forcing everyone to have pagination is... ew.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

The only way I'd be ok with this is if the failure to load large pages for some people was somehow hurting the entire cave--like taking up excess server space or something?--but I feel like that's not what's going on. TJ's post is a bit vague on the details of what sort of issues were happening. @___@

I agree, it doesn't have to affect everyone, it should just be in the Help Section when people encounter the problem.

"What do I do when my scroll is bla-bla-bla?"

"Change so you have x dragons per page in your Account Settings."

I have 1000+ dragons and have never had issues with them all on one page. And if people WERE having issues--they can customize their own pages to fix the problem without forcing everyone else to change, no?

That's what's tasting sour about this--I've never had issues at all, and page view is customizable, so forcing everyone to have pagination is... ew.

This please.

Don't do this to us TJ.

I believe the issue wasn't just lag. It was things just not loading and pages not working and pages acting funky. It was kinda borked, not just laggy.

You do choose. Go to account settings and choose how many dragons you want to view per page.

The update is that you know can't view everything on one page because of things becoming broken.

I guarantee the issues would be more annoying.

The first thing I did was look. But considering I have 500+ dragons, my scroll is still in two pages, which is annoying.

Like everyone else has said, I've never run into a problem loading scrolls- not even giant 1000+ dragon scrolls. Heck, my phone loads my 500+ scroll fine, so I've just never run into the problem that this is 'fixing'.

Just and observation, but I haven't even seen any threads about people having problems with loading scrolls. However, I see so many threads with suggestions on how to improve the site, such as clickable eggs and hatchlings on the offered for trade teleport page, and I haven't seen TJ even look at any of them.

None of our protesting will ever get through, I'm sure.

My aging laptop is quite pleased with this change. I always had it on single page but now that I can only see half of my dragons at once, I can really tell the load speed difference. I'm even inspired to change it to lower than 500, since all of my important dragons I've placed near the top anyways.

My aging laptop is quite pleased with this change. I always had it on single page but now that I can only see half of my dragons at once, I can really tell the load speed difference. I'm even inspired to change it to lower than 500, since all of my important dragons I've placed near the top anyways.

you know you could have changed it before this 'update', right?

With such a slow internet loader I always had mine set to view only 50, so never noticed the difference to be honest. But thanks for the update and working out a solution to the problem people were having.

You know you could've just set a lower page limit for yourself ages ago, right?

@ Arbock: Just gotta have faith and hope he notices! Although I do admit that from time to time the realization that this is essentially a one-man site sort of bothers me... hard for just one person to notice everything on a site with so many members.

Just and observation, but I haven't even seen any threads about people having problems with loading scrolls. However, I see so many threads with suggestions on how to improve the site, such as clickable eggs and hatchlings on the offered for trade teleport page, and I haven't seen TJ even look at any of them.

None of our protesting will ever get through, I'm sure.

TJ has taken notice of plenty of suggestions. He does listen, even if he doesn't post.

-Pages

-Page which shows BSA available dragons (working out some bugs)

-Open to GoNs breeding

-More skins

-Re-working summon

-Changing how breeding history shows

-More egg slots

(Some of these he's posted in threads saying he's working on or are already added.) Etc.

There are tons of suggestion threads. They can't all possibly be added.

Since this was disabled for everyone, I'm pretty sure it was probably causing some other issues within the site - probably things that TJ could see but we couldn't. We probably would have started to notice them, though. Of course, I don't know for sure all the issues.

I can't say I enjoy the amount of dragons per page being limited, but I have heard of multiple people having issues with 2000+ dragons, and I am starting to get up there too. I have noticed that my scroll loads quite a bit faster than when I had it set to 0, so that's a plus. Anyways, this was bound to happen sooner or latter.

For those out there that don't like this change because of having trouble finding your BSA dragons, I highly recommend trying bbik's Actions Trackers on AoND. You have to update them manually, but it's a lot easier than hunting through who knows how many Reds or Pinks. I have been using them every since they were put in, and they work great. ^^

The only real times I've had problems with the huge page load are on my cell phone, but since I hardly use the thing for the web anyway, it wasn't an issue, really. On this computer, I liked being able to see all dragons on a scroll (mine and others) in one roll. Bleh. Guess I'll set my pages to 1000 (noticed that's possible...).

you know you could have changed it before this 'update', right?

Yeah, but I guess I was a bit lazy to change it. I really didn't think it would make much of a difference until now.

Even though this doesn't affect me because I've always had it on the default pages, sympathetic bro-fist to those who aren't happy with the change.

Bleh. Guess I'll set my pages to 1000 (noticed that's possible...).

It won't let me set them to anything over 500, are you sure?

awesome-- some scrolls wouldnt show up because they had too many, unless i changes page limits. thanks tj

It won't let me set them to anything over 500, are you sure?

I went back and checked, and it's been tweaked. I had it set at 0, and when it first changed, it was showing 1000 (2 pages). Now it's showing 500, and I have 3 pages of scroll. It's rather annoying at the moment (I'm sure I'll get used to it, like everything else), because I was sorting my scroll, and was going dragon by dragon on a complete page. Now I'm weirded out. xd.png

@Sock- I thought the creator of the GoN hadn't wanted them to breed (unless I've got my wires crossed somewhere).

I guess he does have his projects, but I wish he'd be a bit more open instead of leaving us up to just guessing if he's working on user suggestions or if he sees no reason to change things.

nooooooooooooooo

I don't like it.

But it's better to have a working DC than a non-working DC so if that's how it has to be, so be it sad.gif

...I'm just getting to 2000+ dragons and haven't had problems with loading my scroll or other people's huge scrolls either

That kinda sucks. I was just getting used to having my dragons clumped onto two pages, so as to avoid the data errors. Having to flip back and forth through seven pages is going to make breeding extremely tiresome. It's going to be a pain in the butt scrolling to my pinks and reds to influence and incubate anything anymore, too.

I was a bit confused when I signed into my scroll to see pages - thought someone had gotten onto my account or something!

I had no problems viewing all my dragons on one page. I have over 1,000 of them now. Nor have I had problems looking at other people's massive scrolls. I tried the page system when it was first implemented and absolutely hated it because of the way it splits up my dragons. How exactly is it broken? I honestly have no idea. :l

Really can't say I like this update but since I'm powerless to do anything about it, guess I'll just get used to it. But still, argh. e_e ;u;

ETA: @s0r0k4: That link, haha. XD

Edited by Varekis

Thanks for this. Still doesn't help my issue that I been having viewing scrolls really. :/

@Arbock

Then you haven't seen my thread about how it loads. I can load as many as I want no problem it's another issue.

This is what it looks like for the last few dragons on 500 view:

My Scroll Image

That is how I still see it even months later. It's only been that way since I upgraded to FF 11 and cannot figure it out. It is definitely not cache related as The cache on this computer has been cleaned several times and my net has been unplugged a few times too.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl