TJ09

2012-06-25 - Pagination Updates

With how it was potentially broken, there are a half-dozen issues, though some of them may have been connection issues, or putting too much load on the server or database to try accessing the entire scroll at once for those with excessively large scrolls.

Personally, I've not been affected at all. Set my pages at 250 whenever pages became available, and rather like how much easier it is to scroll to what dragons I want whenever I need them. After all, just keep track of which pages have which, and update the mental markers whenever things start growing to the next page, and it makes it much much easier than trying to navigate through them all on one page, and much faster to load too.

I don't mind the change, but I can see how, resources-wise, it may have become necessary to lighten the load on the servers by limiting the largest pages.

Thanks for this. Still doesn't help my issue that I been having viewing scrolls really. :/

@Arbock

Then you haven't seen my thread about how it loads. I can load as many as I want no problem it's another issue.

This is what it looks like for the last few dragons on 500 view:

My Scroll Image

That is how I still see it even months later. It's only been that way since I upgraded to FF 11 and cannot figure it out. It is definitely not cache related as The cache on this computer has been cleaned several times and my net has been unplugged a few times too.

Maybe you accidentally blocked DC images by mistake. That happened to me once on Order of the Griffin. Try seeing if this helps;

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...05213934AAKqVWu

Otherwise I'm not sure how to help you..

I still use Firefox 3.6.19. I never really saw a reason to update, really.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock

I definitely don't have images blocked on anything. The only thing that blocks anything is Ad Block Plus. Beyond that I use nothing but it, Personas and a Nortons Toolbar add on. It's been like that since the upgrade before that it was fine. I don't know what has changed at all.

If all else fails I'll take it down to 250 a page but I don't really want to.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

Well, I am NOT a fan of this .... I hate scrolls being sorted in pages and I always loved the option to can choose it, if you want to.

Now we are being forced to look at them in pages - great -__- !

I definitely don't have images blocked on anything. The only thing that blocks anything is Ad Block Plus. Beyond that I use nothing but it, Personas and a Nortons Toolbar add on. It's been like that since the upgrade before that it was fine. I don't know what has changed at all.

If all else fails I'll take it down to 250 a page but I don't really want to.

Mine's been doing that for ages as well. Only in Firefox, so I assume it's something to do with the image repeat command. No idea why it works for half the page and not the rest though.

It would have been nice if the /dragons page could have been uneffected by it -.-.

I COULD somehow live with outside scrolls being sorted in pages, but AT LEAST my ''inner view'' could stay unblocked, if I wish to <.<.

I hardly or never complain about changes, though this one is buggingme really much.

Mine's been doing that for ages as well. Only in Firefox, so I assume it's something to do with the image repeat command. No idea why it works for half the page and not the rest though.

That's what my dad said when I asked him but either DC needs to be fixed for that or Firefox needs some update. It irritates the heck out of me doing that and before it WASN'T showing up on other pages or the second page and now it is. I've dealt with it till now but I hate seeing it still. >.>

This is lame. I have 1,984 dragons - and now the whole "500 per page" doesn't do anything for me. -.- Lame update.

I've always had my scroll show page numbers so this update isn't that bad for me. It did make me look at how many dragons I have on each page though.

Well, I am NOT a fan of this .... I hate scrolls being sorted in pages and I always loved the option to can choose it, if you want to.

Now we are being forced to look at them in pages - great -__- !

That's exactly what I thought D:

Do NOT like!!!!!

Changes like this are why I no longer play this game regularly. Instead of changing things to suit your (TJ) needs, why not make changes that we (the users) have asked for. Like sorting dragons into groups and allowing those groups to be on separate pages. (See UniCreatures or MagiStream to see how this works)

Changes are supposed to be for the better. THIS CHANGE IS NOT BETTER!!!!!

I have to say I never had issues and I dislike the pages.

It turns the scroll into a book. sad.gif

I also used the search function of my browser a lot. Now it doesn't help anymore.

I am really thinking of cutting down my time spend here. sad.gif

Changes like this are why I no longer play this game regularly. Instead of changing things to suit your (TJ) needs, why not make changes that we (the users) have asked for. Like sorting dragons into groups and allowing those groups to be on separate pages. (See UniCreatures or MagiStream to see how this works)

I completely agree - I had my dragons set up so I could breed and find them easy. With me having so many dragons I have 5 pages full of dragons. I would love to, instead of having "page numbers" to have like "tinsels" "blacks" "BSAs" etc.

Saw that on my scroll and was about to ask, then I read the forum. Thanks for the update TJ to bad it had to change though. sad.gif

This update annoys me to no end with no particular reason to me. Ctrl+F had been a GREAT part of my scroll-searching experience and now you have killed it...

Ogod yes. I loved using Ctrl+F to go through my placeholder dragons, swap names and all that stuff. Adding pages makes it harder to locate. :<

Personally, I'm not sure why people are finding pages harder to navigate with. o.o; Then again, I have been using pages since they came out so I'm probably far more adjusted to them than others. My internet is actually pretty good and I don't have problems loading things, so that's not the reason why.

I just find it much more organized, personally. I have my scroll rainbow-sorted, and I know without thinking what page each color group is on... so after that it's just a matter of hitting F3.

Honestly, I don't think this'll be that big of a deal in the end. /shrug It'll all just be a matter of adjusting. I doubt TJ would change them without a good reason, especially after the backlash from other changes. I think he's gotten the idea of how badly some people hate change.

Edited by Switch

Ogod yes. I loved using Ctrl+F to go through my placeholder dragons, swap names and all that stuff. Adding pages makes it harder to locate. :<

Here is an idea if you have multiple pages just open them all up at once search and each tab you go to hit enter and have it search that way.

I get this is frustrating as I use it myself but I do that personally as I have nearly 1k dragons now and use 500 anyway.

Do NOT like!!!!!

Cinnamin you are always after TJ in whatever he does. You want him to change the ratios to your specific liking (trust me I know I was part of that argument) and now that he does something that could potentially benefit each player in the long run (because heaven forbid he ever suggest putting a cap on how many dragons you can have!) in loading times you have to attack him. He did this because of OTHER USERS having issues viewing scrolls. Not for himself OTHER USERS he does put the needs of the user base before his personal views. He did this to help them out not just to get at you.

At least this way it wont come to having to have a restriction on how many dragons you can obtain. At least he isn't going that way and instead thought up this way to help everyone in the long run.

Personally, I'm not sure why people are finding pages harder to navigate with. o.o; Then again, I have been using pages since they came out so I'm probably far more adjusted to them than others. My internet is actually pretty good and I don't have problems loading things, so that's not the reason why.

I just find it much more organized, personally. I have my scroll rainbow-sorted, and I know without thinking what page each color group is on... so after that it's just a matter of hitting F3.

Honestly, I don't think this'll be that big of a deal in the end. /shrug It'll all just be a matter of adjusting. I doubt TJ would change them without a good reason, especially after the backlash from other changes.

I'm the same way. I have used them for a while now. I did have it at 0 but then my scroll started to get really long and then I put it as 500. At least TJ is doing something to help others. I understand the frustration because it can be changed for each user but the one thread I seen was saying they couldn't view the /dragons page not just another users. They was having issues viewing their OWN scroll. That to me is good enough reason to put in a limit like this alone.

Edited by demonicvampiregirl

I am fine with that (can seriously not understand the lots of complaining)

I just wanted to throw in an option in here, like changing the pages to load different amounts of dragons, like if you have 200 of a certain breed, to put them together on one page (so that getting more eggs/dragons does not change that page), and getting let´s say 150 on another page, and 50 or 300 on another.

then we could sort our dragons after breeds or other personal preferences into different pages, which would also limit the time you need to search for a specific breed, let´s say, if you want to incubate and are searching your reds.

Other then that, thanks for the update and your work.

Much appreciated.

(one who sees/has an idea how much work is behind such a site and keeping it running)

Oh no, pages. Sorry, but i hate it. :[

I have been on DC for almost 3 years, and this was the first update i really disliked.. Hopefully he will change it back later.. :c

I'm the same way. I have used them for a while now. I did have it at 0 but then my scroll started to get really long and then I put it as 500. At least TJ is doing something to help others. I understand the frustration because it can be changed for each user but the one thread I seen was saying they couldn't view the /dragons page not just another users. They was having issues viewing their OWN scroll. That to me is good enough reason to put in a limit like this alone.

And since I know someone will say not everyone has that problem, I also think it may be because of problems that TJ could see but we could not.

With how it was potentially broken, there are a half-dozen issues, though some of them may have been connection issues, or putting too much load on the server or database to try accessing the entire scroll at once for those with excessively large scrolls.

As Sif said earlier.

I seriously doubt he would force everyone else to have Pages solely because some people were having trouble viewing them, when he knows they can just change it themselves.

As I said, it may not just be because some people had trouble loading them...

This is just my speculation, though. >_>;;;

Edited by Switch

Exactly Switch. I don't think it was just from our perspective that it needed a change. We could have been using up serious amounts of bandwidth and was heading down the road for a whole other problem.

I just wish TJ would tell us. I know he's busy running the site all by himself and all and has a lot of stuff to deal with, but just a few more seconds of typing on his part to explain the situation better would help clear up a lot of confusion. ;__;

Right now, considering myself and several others with giant scrolls haven't ever had issues, I'm just having trouble believing it's a major issue. And while it's certainly not a game breaking change I am really fond of having all my dragons on one page for easy ctrl searching.