Aussiemum

Keeping users interested in DC

Lately I have noticed that some of the long term DC players - that have been playing well before I started - have dropped out of sight, and others are losing interest.

A couple I have spoken with say they have collected all the dragons they can, or their lineages have come to a halt because of difficulty of breeding.

I want to suggest a reward(incentive!) system for players, the more dragons they get, the better the reward(incentive).

At the moment we have trophies for 50, 200 and 500 dragons.

~What if each trophy was accompanied by a different breedable dragon for each level, (this CB dragon is not obtainable by any other means).

~In addition, have a different dragon for each further level: 1000, 2000, 3000 dragons and so on. That way, the more dragons you have the rarer your prize.

~Or perhaps at 3000 dragons you get an egg of your choice, i.e. Holly, alt black etc.

It would be a fun goal to work towards and it doesn't rely on speed of computers or luck at Christmas. tongue.gif

What do you think? Is there difficulties I haven't thought of?

Edit: Spelling corrections and adding the word incentive as well as reward!

Suggestion up to page 5 (thank you Pokemonfan13 for the list)

~Trophies for 1000 dragons and beyond.

~Extra egg slots or a breeding slot. <- TJ nixed extra egg slots already

~A new, breedable, dragon for specified number of dragons on a scroll, say 1000, 2000, etc., or for players who have been around for a specified length of time.

~New biome - an inner cave, with new dragons and/or recolors/new poses of existing dragons, only accessed by people who have x amount of dragons on their scroll or have been here for a set number of years, whichever comes first.

~Choosing a CB dragon e.g. holly, alt black, for reaching x amount of dragons or a specific scroll age, whichever comes first.

~More frequent releases

~A book of spells, unlocking ones as we reach certain goals, such as:

-----Increasing freeze/kill slots.

-----Ascended sprites

-----Increased success rate of BSAs with failure (eq, fertility, etc)

-----more suggestions

Edited by Aussiemum

I wouldn't mind some sort of reward for higher levels. I hit the gold trophy over 500 dragons ago, and I know there are other people who are much farther ahead than myself! A platinum scroll at 1000 would be coo', and if it wouldn't allow us to hold more dragons than some other type of prize would be very appreciated.

A few things to keep in mind, though--Old Pinks were permanently discontinued, to the point where they couldn't even be won as prizes in the Christmas contests, so they're out of the question. I'm also not sure new tinsels would make a good gift, as while it would be totally awesome for the recievers, having more would kind of devalue the worth of those who won them. The only way I could see it working was if they were at a reward at a crazy high level of dragons, as that should severely restrict the amount of people who get them. I'd tentatively say 1000 dragons = bronze, 2500 = silver, 5000 = gold, but I might be a bit biased there as I already have a thousand dragons, haha. GIVE ME SHINIES *A*

Of course, it should be noted that while I know a few people with 1000+ dragons, the DC Book of Records list the player with the most known dragons as having less then 2500. So even if this system was implemented CB tinsels truly would still be very, very rare things, especially golds.

Ahem, anyway. Of course, if you don't use tinsels, the problem of designing a new prize dragon comes into play. And I believe TJ already said the whole point of designing tinsels was to be a prize dragon, so that seems unlikely.

So yah--I think it'd be nice if there was something to strive for after 500 dragons (since every level up to 500 already earns you a reward--more dragon holding capacity--I don't think it's neccessary for there to be an extra prize for hitting those levels), but as for what that extra nice thing should BE, that I'm not so sure of. ;3;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Many of us 'older' DC users have gotten very busy in the real world that we don't have as much time for DC as we had when we first started. Its not due to lack of intrest, simplely just a lack of time.

Also, in the BSA section, it does state 'no creation of eggs' meaning free eggs at certain trophy levels = no.

Edited by Dolphinsong

I'm actually quite interested in the idea of being able to chose a custom dragon at 3000, as long as it wasn't a holiday, retired, or something that can only be bred. That'd be neat. I don't really see the issue of it if it was a common or such with a custom code. Might have to avoid rares though.

Also, not up for bumping up the number for trophies. I've been playing for three years and am only about 1500, and I almost always have a full scroll. Can you imagine how long 5000 would take?

Many of us 'older' DC users have gotten very busy in the real world that we don't have as much time for DC as we had when we first started. Its not due to lack of intrest, simplely just a lack of time.

Also, in the BSA section, it does state 'no creation of eggs' meaning free eggs at certain trophy levels = no.

But that applies to BSA suggestions, not scroll achievements. I agree the idea of having some dragon be able to whip up miracle eggs repeatedly is not a good one, but people being rewarded for hitting very high milestones like 1000+ dragons? Don't see as much harm in that.

And if you think 1000 is too low (which it might be, iunno--again, the most recorded dragons is at under 2500, so I don't know what the general number is XAx ) then the number needed could always be raised higher.

Also @ Walker: this would create new trophy levels, not somehow make the others more restrictive. Something new to strive for, not a removal of current benefits. Plus, great rewards require great deals of work! smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

This certainly is an interesting point, but I pretty much agree with the not getting DRAGON prizes, because then it kind of becomes a perk in a way. o_o I myself am a pretty old user, but I love DC because I MAKE myself love it.

Allow me to explain. I self-satisfy myself by setting my own goals. :3 Instead of taking the game in its literal terms, (ie, collecting every breed then stopping), I make side goals to reach, and once those goals are done, I simply go for another. It keeps me rather happy and satisfied with DC.

For example:

Last month's to-do is to make a 4th even gen Rainbow lineage.

Last year's do-to is to make an 8th even gen PB Vine lineage (which is obviously not finished).

Some other previous goals were 10 of every breedable dragon (done!), get an ND (done!), donate 50 golds and 50 silvers to people without them (not done >.<), etc.

This month's to-do is collect holiday even gens from sweetlings and day09, and its been an awesome challenge to find people with the right combos!

In other words, DC is a self-goal game: you play it the way you want it. But when you're not interested, I doubt getting a dragon is going to keep that person interested (unless its like a rare like you said, a CB Tinsel, but obviously that is impossible and TJ says no) in the long term. sad.gif

I DO wish we had more trophies. ohmy.gif Like a 1000 one or a 2000 one or even a 5000 one. Small things like an icon is a good thing to work toward to, although Im not quite sure how much scroll space you'll have at that point! xd.png

I think incentives for very large scroll sizes might end up helping with the persistent "cave blocker" problem, too. A lot of people cheerfully raise common hatchlings while they're striving for their trophies, then pretty much stop collecting anything but rares. If they knew that 1000 dragons was going to mean a tinsel or other special dragon, they might start grabbing them up again. Some people are even doing that just for the remote chance of being the winner of the holly contest, after all. I'm sure a lot of people would do it if there was a guaranteed prize down the end. It's certainly worth considering. It's a goal that could take people months or years to achieve, so I don't think it would be "too easy." The only drawback I see is that it might devalue the tinsels people just won for Christmas, which might not be very fair to them. The obvious solution would be to make another prize dragon. Maybe a Pygmy Tinsel. That would be adorable. :-D

This sounds like a great incentive happy.gif

There are many who only collect 2 Adults (M/F), and 3 frozen hatchies for each possibly breed though, I guess they will be the main DC fanatics that are not affected by more medals.

A good idea for extra benefits might be to increase the number of hatchies you can freeze in two weeks or something like that instead of increasing scroll spots after the gold trophy.

A good idea for extra benefits might be to increase the number of hatchies you can freeze in two weeks or something like that instead of increasing scroll spots after the gold trophy.

I think that sort of benefit would be too limited to be a good reward. Personally I only freeze male/female s2 hatchies of every breed, so the current freeze limits are more than enough for me. I'd be rather disappointed if my reward for reaching a higher level was something I would never actually use. ewe

I do think we need something other than breeding, hatching and collecting. I'm not much for Lineages and may make one at sometime for my own use but would definitely like some other reason to keep playing. I love this site don't get me wrong but it's kinda like GPX you get so far then don't know what to do anymore. I'm collecting Cave Blockers and others right now but there is only so much to do.

I do remember at one point TJ mentioned that he didn't want DC to become a pet site, so refrained from adding super creative things to it. That was a while ago, and I don't even remember the direct quote, so I'm not even sure if he will ever change his mind about that!

I'd say absolutely not for exclusive dragons once you reach a certain level.

What about those people who just want one or two of each dragon, and that is their entire scroll goal? They'd never be able to get those unless they're tradeable.

(Before anybody points out that they already get less eggs/hatchlings, that's true--but their scroll goal also involves less overall, therefore they may not have as much need for the space, especially as they get closer to their goal)

I'd not be against more trophies that do things like more slots or something for eggs/hatchlings/kills/freezes/whatever.

Like for 1000, you get a few more egg/hatchlings spots, or you get an increase in the number of freezes per 2 weeks or something.

this would be an interesting twits to the game for sure. but only if TJ allows it and from what ive read its unlikely things will change... does this also mean that no new dragons can be created? anyhoo this sounds like a good idea to me at least.

I was getting bored with DC and actually made myself a new gold of 4 of each gender of each breed. And that's been keeping me entertained for the last month or so.

I am currently at a total of 1,851 dragons and will get more soon. I would love to have some sort of achievement, if it's the platinum trophy or a pick your dragon or something like that. Either way - it would be nice. happy.gif

this would be an interesting twits to the game for sure. but only if TJ allows it and from what ive read its unlikely things will change... does this also mean that no new dragons can be created? anyhoo this sounds like a good idea to me at least.

I don't think TJ is opposed to change, just not changing the very nature of the game completely.

The userbase is pretty opposed to super drastic changes, actually.

Also, there's a section called 'dragon requests' where new dragon concepts are suggested and worked on, and new releases (aside from special holiday events) are taken from the dragons that have been made and completed. So, yes, we'll have new dragons eventually.

What about those people who just want one or two of each dragon, and that is their entire scroll goal? They'd never be able to get those unless they're tradeable.

Tinsels' offspring are tradeable, and anyone who wants can have one. Not a CB one, but nobody except TJ has male and female CB's of everything anyway.

But yes, if a new dragon were awarded for 1000 or 1500 dragons, it would be nice if it was breedable, so people with small-scroll goals could still acquire a bred one.

Tinsels' offspring are tradeable, and anyone who wants can have one. Not a CB one, but nobody except TJ has male and female CB's of everything anyway.

But yes, if a new dragon were awarded for 1000 or 1500 dragons, it would be nice if it was breedable, so people with small-scroll goals could still acquire a bred one.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were tradeable, that'd be okay-ish (still not terribly fond of the idea, but whatever). I'd just not like it if it was scroll-coded so you could only get it if you had X number, like how it's scroll-coded that if you have 2 of the Christmas/V-day/GoNs you can't get any more.

I would be cool with the idea of extra eggslots, like an extra breeding slot as a throwback to the way the cave used to work (can only be filled by breeding, no cave hunting with the slot for those who dont remember).

I do not like the idea of dragons showing up /just/ because you hit a target number. Perhaps if its a really really rare to see dragon that gets easier to find if you have like 3k dragons, sure. That way everyone still has a chance, but those who have insane numbers of dragons would have an easier chance. Logically those with more dragons would recognize rare eggs that havent really been seen.. (failing at wording).

I guess it would give me an incentive to keep raising the cave blockers and sticking them at the back of my scroll instead of just raising the newly released ones then nothing until the next one.

I would be cool with the idea of extra eggslots, like an extra breeding slot as a throwback to the way the cave used to work (can only be filled by breeding, no cave hunting with the slot for those who dont remember).

I do not like the idea of dragons showing up /just/ because you hit a target number. Perhaps if its a really really rare to see dragon that gets easier to find if you have like 3k dragons, sure. That way everyone still has a chance, but those who have insane numbers of dragons would have an easier chance. Logically those with more dragons would recognize rare eggs that havent really been seen.. (failing at wording).

I like both of those!

Especially the "more dragons = more chance to find it" kind of thing. Perhaps when you get 1000 you get a boost in the chance of seeing it, then again at 1500, and again at 2000, and so on, with each milestone making it more likely that you'll be able to find one?

Perhaps they could show up like how the FoE/ToT stuff does, but only in the biomes?

heres an idea. what if there is a whole new biome for people with 500+/1000+ dragons. it doesnt neccesarily have a bunch of new dragons in it but rarer dragons (like Vines, Dinos, Golds ect) are a bit more common.

and then of course there are some new ones!

heres an idea. what if there is a whole new biome for people with 500+/1000+ dragons. it doesnt neccesarily have a bunch of new dragons in it but rarer dragons (like Vines, Dinos, Golds ect) are a bit more common.

I don't like this. I think everyone should have an equal chance of getting the rares.

This would be an interesting idea to touch on, actually.

Perhaps it could be an inner cave? Story-wise, perhaps the larger dragons from the other caves are used to seeing you often, and therefore don't attack when you enter the inner cave?

Regardless, I like the idea of more in-game goals.

I don't like this. I think everyone should have an equal chance of getting the rares.

^ This.

I think that definitely crosses the line between rewarding players for their loyalty whathaveyou and giving older players an unfair advantage.

Edited by Chanilove