PeachSapling

The Dove Pin

Would you like to join if it's approved?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Angel smiled a little and reached the torch out towards Robby. "Sorry about your leg..." She mumbled quietly. She watched Robby's 'torch' burn down slowly. "You might want to be careful with that. Paper burns quickly."

Sawyer looked at Robby's 'torch' and frowned. "I have to agree with her. Fire is a beast that only a few can tame. Do not trust it, for it's glowing tongues can swallow you whole." she said. Sawyer liked the fire quote. Her father had one told it to her.

Angel smiled and waved a hand quickly through the flame. "I think it's beautiful. There's nothing else quite like it."

"It may not last long," he said "But it'll help me see, regardless." He looked around with his newfound light. Some things in crates caught his attention. He pulled one down, being vary to not burn something.

(Anyways, this plotline is starting to get boring. How about we find a way to figure someone's power? I already have an idea for Angel and/or Jaxon (Who has yet to show up...))

((Can't. Not all of the dove children exist yet. Peach, can we please make extra dove children? I don't think anyone else is gonna sign up anyway. //whine))

Ianthe sat down and glumly watched the others. They were burning school property, and Sawyer even had a candle they could use. No one wanted to listen to her, it seemed. Robby had set off to explore with his makeshift torch in hand, and Sawyer was discussing fire with Angel. Ianthe turned to Marie. "There are, there sure are a lot of cobwebs in here. No one else has thought to rummage around? The other kids, when they're sent down here for stuff. Or is it just because that doesn't happen much?" Ianthe grabbed a book from the box and flipped through it. She found several illustrations of weird-looking plants amid the lines of dark text. "Huh."

((Can't. Not all of the dove children exist yet. Peach, can we please make extra dove children? I don't think anyone else is gonna sign up anyway. //whine))

Ianthe sat down and glumly watched the others. They were burning school property, and Sawyer even had a candle they could use. No one wanted to listen to her, it seemed. Robby had set off to explore with his makeshift torch in hand, and Sawyer was discussing fire with Angel. Ianthe turned to Marie. "There are, there sure are a lot of cobwebs in here. No one else has thought to rummage around? The other kids, when they're sent down here for stuff. Or is it just because that doesn't happen much?" Ianthe grabbed a book from the box and flipped through it. She found several illustrations of weird-looking plants amid the lines of dark text. "Huh."

((I'd actually like to create a new character as well. I have had an idea that's been rotting in my brain for a while.))

"Yes," she said softly with a small smile, overly aware of the webs but somehow unafraid of the creatures that had spun them. "There certainly are...." Marie looked around in the dim light from where she sat, the other kids were walking about, exploring and putting them all in danger with their cackling flames so eager to swallow something up. It was almost eerie. Looking over at Ianthe who was now holding a book she curiously leaned back and towards the girl to see what it was she was looking at. "Plants?" She both stated and asked to no one, entirely confounded by the markings on each page. She could recognize the symbols and their sounds but not the resulting words and their meanings.

((I'll let you make 1 more character for those of you who want to. 3 people can make another character. Just put it in the OOC.))

Rachel looked at the now semi lit room. She looked to see Ianthe and Marie looking at something. Rachel decided to take a peek."What'cha looking at?" She asked Ianthe and Marie. Looking at what they were looking at, a smile grew on Rachel's face.

((Sweet! Can you reserve me a spot for a character? That would be awesome. Hey, where'd WinterWhisperz go? Dangershy, too. Katniss hasn't been seen for a few pages now.))

Ianthe looked up to see Rachel leaning over them. She shrugged. "I dunno. Some sort of plant things." She held up the book to let Rachel see one of the illustrations. "There's lots of stuff in the box. Books, mostly, I think." She put the book down and rummaged through the box, bringing out a few more. "We really shouldn't be burning this stuff. Even the torch. I mean, what are the teachers gonna think, about that?" She opened a second book and found no pictures, only lines of letters.

Angel watched the fire carefully, then brought it over to the books Ianthe, Marie, and Rachel were looking at. She held the touch up high, making sure not to singe anyone's hair. "I think we'll be fine..." She went around the group to try to peek over the boxes. "Can you guys see anything over there?" She pointed to a still blackened area of the basement.

Derek watched everyone scuttle around, busying themselves with the 'secret stuff' in the boxes. He went over next to Robby and glanced at the bandage on his leg before looking up and offering an apologetic smile. "You all right?"

Sawyer began to look in the old boxes as well. She sneezed as dust reached her nose. Sawyer opened the box, to find wonderfully illustrated books about animals. How she loved animals! Often times, she would flip through her Father's old books about animals. The yellowed parchment made her feel at home. She took one of them, and walked to Angel's light souce.

((-Raises Hand- I'll reserve one too if I still can?))

Marie looked away blushing as Rachel leaned over close to get a glimpse of the book she and Ianthe were scanning. Ianthe held it up for her to see better and then continued to rummage. One of the picks caught her eyes but she didn't know why. Without warning her body moved on it's own, compelled by something she didn't understand as her dainty fingers lifted an old, sturdy book from the pile Ianthe had created. It was thick and old, bound in a dark leather that was worn by many years, the feel that seemed to emanate from it had entirely entranced Marie and for a moment she would have been satisfied to keep staring at just the simple cover but her hands did not agree. A single finger slipped beneath the lip of the front hard cover of the book and deftly lifted it to reveal coffee brown color-faded pages, the first one with large letters forming a word. Marie's lips moved in a silent whisper in an attempt to read the word, her mind putting letters together but no sound came from them as her thumb brushed over each of the inked letters. It was handwritten and romantic in the way the lines entangled themselves together, embracing here and there in a marvelous flow of soaked black.

Marie turned another page and then another in such a slow manner as if she were absorbing everything that was shown to her despite not understanding. Entranced by the mystery of the context it came as a pleasant surprise as the next page revealed an expertly drawn image of a forest animal and several diagrams and symbols surrounding it. Marie's eyes widened slightly, marveling at the studious markings, each with a purpose she wished to understand. There were lines and arrows connecting graphs to sections of the glyphs. Marie wanted to know so much more and she was almost sad to turn the page but that was quickly quelled as the other side proved to be similar to the one before it. Another animal was depicted and several of the graphs were in the same general places on the pages but the lines were different but they were all artistic. Marie was completely absorbed as she continued to turn the pages and let the images burn into her mind. She could not understand any of the passages but the images and the lines seemed to guide her, giving her a vague sense of familiarity and trust that her her heart could decipher it before her mind was capable of it.

Closing the book as if it contained some essence of her very being she hugged the book to her chest and spaced out, staring at nothing as her mind went entirely blank with an indescribable bliss.

((M'kay. Reserved a spot for Chasilin, Fractional, and Robby. I haz no more spots for Dove children.))

Rachel grabbed the plant book with glee. As she turned the pages, she knew most of the plants in the book. "Oh my farmer mind." Rachel said to herself as she looked at the pictures. She then saw some plants she didn't know. "I can't wait till I can read. Then I can figure out what these plants are." Rachel said.

Sawyer sat herself beside Rachel, and looked at her Own book. "You can't read? I feel sorry for you, almos everything I know came from reading." she said. Sawyer turned the yellowed pages of her book over and over, until she skimmed through the book at least three times. She turned to the page with the dove on it. It had the information about the bird, and a detailed drawing of the bird. Sawyer could almost see the tiny bird, and feel its feathers.

Edited by shadow_claw

((The Dove Children can't read...

Thanks for reserving a spot for me, Peach.))

"My leg is killing me, but oh well. It'll heal in time. Especially if the castle has, like, a medic or healer person. They seem to do magical things," he said to Derek. He peered into the crate to find a cold, leather-strapped book. He quickly undid the ties and popped it open, flipping to a random page. He was instantly amazed with pictures of all sorts.

Edited by thegreenrobby

((And the book is about plants. Doves are not plants. And it's not five pages long either, so unless she can read at light speed, she can't have read it three times without someone else at least doing something.))

((Um, not to mention that in order for Sawyer to flip so casually through the pages, she would have to have taken it from Rachel. You never once mentioned that and assuming your character had done so is powerplaying because perhaps Rachel would not have relinquished it to you.))

((

Sawyer sat herself beside Rachel, and looked at her book.

Is this what you mean? Because quite frankly that appears to mean that your character is looking at Rachel's book since you haven't changed ownership. Now, if you said this; "Sawyer sat herself beside Rachel, and looked down at her own book, the one she'd taken moments before." Something like that changes the ownership so that we know your character is the one who is holding the book, a different one than Rachel's. I hope that made some kind of sense....))

((Shadow, the only thing that's left to fix it the "at least three times" part of your post. It doesn't seem possible to be able to look through the pages so quickly especially if your character can read. However, since none of the Dove Children can read that's also impossible but even so, flipping through the pages that quickly only makes sense if you know what page you are looking for. Otherwise you should probably be turning the pages slow and deliberately because no doubt Books are a rare thing.))

Marie looked around and realized that she and Ianthe were now surrounded by two other girls. Clutching her book she felt oddly comforted by it and was happy to be holding it, it was solid and sturdy if a bit dusty but it felt so familiar and nostalgic. Marie glanced over at Ianthe and reluctantly peeled an arm away from the book to lightly press Ianthe's shoulder for her attention.

((The Dove Children can't read...

Thanks for reserving a spot for me, Peach.))

"My leg is killing me, but oh well. It'll heal in time. Especially if the castle has, like, a medic or healer person. They seem to do magical things," he said to Derek. He peered into the crate to find a cold, leather-strapped book. He quickly undid the ties and popped it open, flipping to a random page. He was instantly amazed with pictures of all sorts.

Derek nodded, then started to turn away. In a moment of inner conflict, he faced Robby and blurted out, "Thank you. Really. I needed that." He made a slight hissing sound, as if this was hard for him to say. "You were right. We need each other." With that he spun around and headed over to embers of the small fire. "Be careful with that wound. Don't let it get infected." He stomped out the ashes, hoping to prevent anyone getting burned on them.

Angel, apparently ignored, slid the torch into a holder sitting on the wall. She climbed over a few boxes and sat on top of the pile looking down. "I wonder... Why these are all down here."

Ianthe felt a hand on her shoulder, and turned to see Marie, still sitting beside her, with a book in her arms. "Yeah?" She looked down at the book she was clutching. She was holding onto it as if it were a lifeline. "What's in there?"

"Um" she began and then she followed Ianthe's gaze and felt her grip slightly tighten around the book by a reflex she didn't know she had. Grudgingly she unbound her vice grip on the poor thing and relinquished it to Ianthe."Animals...." she said with a little more awe in her voice than she'd meant.Somehow forgetting what she was beginning so say Marie felt a little happy that Ianthe had taken interest in something that was hers. Marie blinked having forgotten that the book wasn't hers but she'd grown so suddenly attached to it that she didn't think she'd ever be letting it go. Usually, had she been alone or with people she didn't trust, Marie would have broken down, gasping for air and crying pitifully for her life due to her claustrophobia. With the candlelight, though it was unwise, and the company of the beginnings of new friendships, her claustrophobia had no room to intrude. She was safe here, with these people, these strangers.

Ianthe tilted her head curiously at Marie. She took the book in both hands, placed it gently on the ground in front of her, and lifted the cover. She flipped through the illustrations, pausing at a few of them and tracing a finger across the beautiful drawings. "Wow." She stopped at a picture of a shiny black beetle, staring at its wings for several seconds before shutting the book and handing it back to Marie. "That was from over there, right?" She asked, gesturing at the box of books. Remembering the posessive way Marie had held the book, she added, "It's the school's. You know, we're going to have to...leave it behind, later."

A thought occurred to her. "Say, does anyone...well. I don't think anyone would really know the time, here. But, I mean, we should probably put this stuff back, into the boxes, before it's lunch and the teacher comes back, and, well, she yells at us for stealing things, or something."