PeachSapling

The Dove Pin

Would you like to join if it's approved?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marie touched her pin lightly and nodded despite knowing no one could have seen the gesture. She didn't want to speak out again, though, she'd only done so before by accident, she somewhat just blurted it out in her near hysteria. She wasn't fond of dark and enclosed spaces, it made her want to cry.

After a while Marie had gotten used to the feeling of Ianthe standing near her so when she moved Marie felt extremely alone. Reaching out blindly she walked in the general direction she'd heard Ianthe's footsteps, her eyes opened wide to attempt to see but to no avail. "I-ianthe...!" She whispered meekly, frightened as she was; like a lost kitten. "Nnnn.." She moaned helplessly, biting back the need to say more when her hand brushed against something soft and solid; a shoulder. She didn't know whose but since she couldn't be sure if it was Ianthe she drew her hand back quickly and leaned forward nervously. "Ianthe...?" she asked the black shadowy figure. She was actually talking to a manikin, clothed in a poorly made hand-sewn outfit, clearly discarded amongst other unknown things. Still, since she wasn't getting a reply Marie involuntarily shivered and whined again more in fear than the helplessness she was drowning in.

((-personally loving the manikin- x3))

Rachel heard a cry for Ianthe in the darkness. "I'm gonna come to get you! Don't worry!" She yelled to Marie. Taking it step by step, she felt around for a guide to help get to the cry of help. Rachel bumped into a flat surface, a stone wall. Putting her right hand on the wall, Rachel stayed close to it was a shield as she walked in the darkness, listening for the cry of help.

"Hey! Stop-" Ianthe cut herself off and sighed. Angel probably wouldn't listen to her, whatever she said. The others took over from there, Sawyer bringing a candle for the girl to light. Ianthe moved away from the stack of boxes and towards the center of the room, miraculously not bumping into anything. Now that there weren't any teachers around, everyone began to talk at full volume, and it was making Ianthe jumpy.

Hearing Marie cry out her name, Ianthe whipped around and nearly tripped over another box. "Over here," she called out, in Marie's general direction. She nudged the box aside with a foot and walked towards Marie, her eyes finally adjusting somewhat to the darkness.

Marie turned around with a startled jump to the loud yell from one of the girls, with hear ears thrumming loudly, filled with the sound of her heartbeat, she couldn't tell who it was. "Ianthe?" She said uncertainly to the voice that called out and she was given the return call of Ianthe's voice, she was certain. Stepping away from the shadowy figure she shuffled out of the corner she'd come to be in and made her way to Ianthe who's silhouette moved for her as well. Marie hadn't even realized she'd had her hands outstretched until they ran into Ianthe. She pulled them away to quickly and lost her balance, teetering awkwardly on one foot. Unable to regain herself she stumbled over, tripping over what ever was strewn on the floor and falling backwards into what would have been the wall were it not for Rachel.

Marie didn't even have time to cry out, her eyes were wide, her mouth parted slightly in disbelief all in the few moments it took her to fall into Rachel. Sitting on her sore rear, Marie brought a hand to her bum and rubbed it tenderly, her back had caught the sharp end of one of Rachel's limbs and it didn't feel too lovely. "S-sorry..." She said with softly though sincerely. Gathering her wits she pushed herself so that she sat on her legs and turned her back around to look at the girl in the darkness. "Are you... are you alright?" Her hands gingerly brushing Rachel's skin for fear of hurting her more than she already had.

((pfft...))

Rachel heard the "clink" of Derek's decoy pin fall in the floor. Making out in the darkness that Robby was calming him down, she walked over to Angel and Ianthe. "You can do it Angel, we believe in you!" Rachel said to Angel, trying to make her feel better.

Sawyer gave her a reassuring smile. "okay, so what you need to do, is strike the metal to the flint hard enough that it makes sparks. You just have to get one of those sparks going to start a fire." she said. Sawyer knew how to make fires. Her adoptive father had showed her how. "It's a little tricky, but I'm sure you can do it." she encouraged.

Angel grinned at the two girls. "Hey, I know how to light a fire. Sheesh. I just wasn't sure why I was being given a candle." She fished around in the box and pulled out a rectangular object. "Cause I'm pretty sure that... Yup! There's books in here. They make for great burning." She posed the flint and steel above the box and struck them together, creating a spark, but it wasn't quick enough to light the pages of the books. She continued to try to start the fire while she continued to talk. "Then maybe after these start to go out, we can light the candle. Then we can carry it around and look for more cool stuff."

"To tell the truth, I don't really want to be here, either. But there is not too much we can do," he said, somewhat un-motivational from how he wanted. He didn't like it, so he added, "Anyways, she made that pin for you so you wouldn't feel left out, right? Well, it still applies here. So what? We're adopted. There's nothing really special about that. So far, this pin doesn't signify anything else, really." There was a pause. "...Until now. I realized that these pins signify us as friends. I don't know exactly what is going to happen in this wacky school, but we're going to have to stick with each other." He reached out to give him his pin back, but his arm his him. Or so he thought. He reached for it again, and realized that he was standing in front of a stack of boxes. He spoke out again. "You dropped this," he said, holding up the pin. "Would you please come and claim it? I can't see a blasted thing in here."

Derek glances over at Robby, seeing his outline as Angel's sparks flew out and faded. He sighed and stood reluctantly. He reached out and gently pulled the pin from Robby's fingers. "I'll claim it. But if anything else bad happens because of these things, I don't want to be a part of it." He strode past Robby, but not before muttering a quiet 'thank you' that he doubted would be heard by Robby. If fact, he hardly heard his own words. He turned sharply towards Marie's voice. Staring into the darkness, he spoke to Angel, though not looking towards her. "Angel, can you get that fire going any time soon? This place is starting to get a bit spooky."

((Lighting a fire in a room that's so dark you can't tell what surrounds you...that's suuuper smart x3 Watch something catch on fire, they'd really be in trouble then....Oh, wait, I just realized that would be such a perfect opportunity for one of the students -the one with the affinity for water- to discover her power o.o))

Ianthe stumbled backwards, hopping a few steps on one foot before regaining her balance. Looking down, she saw that Marie hadn't had as much luck. "Oh. Um. Are...are you alright?" She asked, then realized that Marie had asked the same question to Rachel simultaneously. Ianthe blinked, and gestured vaguely in the air at both of the other girls before clasping her hands together and wringing them furiously. She shuffled back a few steps.

"Yup!" Angel's voice rang out. "There's books in here. They make for great burning." Ianthe's eyes widened. She ran blindly towards the sparks, bumping into the boxes and making several of them tumble to the floor. She pushed past Derek and Robby to grab at the box. "No! You...you idiot, you..." Ianthe took a deep breath to calm herself down. "These...They belong to the school, and we're in enough trouble, already."

Angel jumped back, her flint and steel slipping from her grasp and clinking against the stone floor. "Ohh no!" she wailed. "You made me drop it!" She fell to her hands and knees searching for them. "They could be anywhere," she muttered.

Robby felt the pin leave his hands. He barely heard a faint 'Thank you' muttered as he passed by. You're welcome, he wanted to say back, be he already left.

Suddenly, there was a burst of commotion and chatter about books and flames and steel. He didn't know what was going on in the darkness.

"Someone, please tell me what's going on here! I'm confused!" He proceeded to walk towards the closest figure he could make out; he didn't know who, to ask them, when he tripped over a book!

"Whuh-woah!" he exclaimed as he fell. His landing was simply worsened when something strong and metal penetrated the flesh of his leg.

"Hey, I think my leg found your flint and steel thing," he said with a chuckle, yet holding back tears and the urge to scream aloud.

Rachel fell down with something that felt like a body came down on her. "I'm alright!" Rachel said to Marie and Ianthe. She looked to see the two shadowy outlines of the two girls bodies towering above her. She then heard a loud thud, (Robby falling on the floor), "Whoever that was, are you alright?" Rachel said as she got back on her feet.

Robby felt the pin leave his hands. He barely heard a faint 'Thank you' muttered as he passed by. You're welcome, he wanted to say back, be he already left.

Suddenly, there was a burst of commotion and chatter about books and flames and steel. He didn't know what was going on in the darkness.

"Someone, please tell me what's going on here! I'm confused!" He proceeded to walk towards the closest figure he could make out; he didn't know who, to ask them, when he tripped over a book!

"Whuh-woah!" he exclaimed as he fell. His landing was simply worsened when something strong and metal penetrated the flesh of his leg.

"Hey, I think my leg found your flint and steel thing," he said with a chuckle, yet holding back tears and the urge to scream aloud.

Angel gasped and hastened to Robby's side. "Ohh, oooh no!" She dropped to her knees and held her hands up, as it trying to do something but she didn't know how to help. "Did it cut you?"

Derek stood back, concerned, but waiting for things to be figured out. He was ready to step in if his help was needed.

"It's Robby. And no, I'm not alright. Someone's firemaking tools found their way into my leg. I'm probably bleeding," he said, trying to get himself to kneel. He groped around in the dark around his knee, trying to feel the flint and steel. Eventually, he gripped his fingers around it and pulled it out. As it moved, he groaned with pain.

"Yep. I'm definately bleeding," he exclaimed, with the pain obvious in his voice. "Now, can you PLEASE take this thing and get some light in here?"

Rachel walked toward the sound of Robby's voice until her foot bumped into something. She knelt down and felt it to feel some cloth. "Surely, it's Robby's pants." Rachel thought to herself. "Don't worry, it's just me Robby." She said to Robby, Rachel then placed her bag on the floor and felt around for a worn shirt. She found one and began feeling around Robby's legs for the wound.

((So weird Robby must be. Having a girl feel around on your legs for a wound. xd.png))

Robby was a little comforted to see that Angel and Rachel were quick to comfort him. It didn't stop the pain in his leg, though. Rachel got down on her knees and proceeded attempt to mend to his leg. It was a little awkward, so he spoke up. He thought for a second, and tried to localize the pain in his head.

"Right below the knee on my left leg, inside."

Marie was so confused by all that was going, everything was moving so quickly. Uncertain of what to do she tucked her legs into her chest, from underneath her, and scooted back up against the wall near where she'd run into Rachel. She simply sat there and stared at what she assumed to be her feet for goodness knows how long, dazed out of the world and thinking and feeling nothing. She was scared, it was dark, the smell of sweet iron filled the air and voices drowned out everything else. Marie was officially freaking out...in silence.

Ianthe stared blankly as the two other girls rushed to help Robby. She didn't know much first aid, and would probably only get in the way if she tried. Ianthe wondered if she should apologize. She didn't feel that it was her fault - she probably prevented Angel from burning the place down by grabbing the box anyway - but she did indirectly cause the injury and felt terrible about it. "Um," she began. What do I even say here? Sorry for indirectly injuring you because I was trying to get Angel to not burn this castle down? Ianthe bit her lip. Okay, I'm not going to get anywhere with this. She turned and shuffled towards Marie, hoping that no one had noticed that she'd said anything. She realized that she was still holding the box, and set it down beside Marie. "Hey. Uh."

Edited by Fractional Pi Day

Rachel felt around the left knee, until she felt some liquid on her hand. She smelled it and sure enough, it smelled like blood. Rachel started tearing up the worn shirt and started wrapping Robby's wound up with it. "I'm a farmer, not a doctor, but it'll have to do." She said to Robby. Rachel gave him the rest of the torn shirt. "In case it bleeds again." She added on.

Angel took the flint and steel with trembling hands. The surfaces were wet and sticky, and she wasn't even sure if she'd be able to light anything with it at all. She dried them the best she could with the hem of her skirt, then searched around for a book to light. Finding one, she opened it to somewhere near the middle and tore several pieces out, crumpling them into a pile. Striking the flint and steel together again, she created a spark, then two. They landed on the paper and blackened it, but the pages didn't ignite. She gritted her teeth and tried again, this time several orange dots fell to a section, and the embers burnt holes through the words.

She smiled and blew on the bright lines, encouraging them to grow into a... Yes, there it was. A small flame bloomed from the center, quickly enveloping the tiny pile, giving enough light to show the faces of all the other children, Robby's blood spilling over the tiles, and a torch sitting on top of a pile of boxes. She smiled and ran over. A torch would last much longer than a pile of pages, and it would smoke less as well. She jumped on top of an unstable object, trying to reach for the handle.

Robby grimaced as Rachel touched is cut, and a little more when she tightly wrapped a cloth around it. But, soon enough, she was done. He sat up, and saw that one of the girls had started a fire.

"Ugh... Can someone help me up, here?"

"Sure." said Sawyer. She walked up to Robby, and extended her hands. "Who knew a chunk if metal and flint could cut you like that!" Sawyer said. She quickly brushed the hair from her face, and smiled. "How are you feeling?" she asked gently.

Assisted by Sawyer, he stood up wobbily.

"It's nice to know that you guys are there for me," he said, giving Derek a look, as to say, See what I meant? "My leg is screaming right now, but I can get by." He looked around. Now that there was some fire, he could see. Barely, but it was better than nothing. Deciding that it wasn't good enough, he found a nearby book and also tore out a couple pages, winding them up into a stick. "Gimme some of that fire," he said, heading for the light. With each limping step, he hurt futhermore, but not by much, and it was only for the moment.

Adriana knew how to clean wounds and how to dress them but by the time she had stood up, another had already helped. Adriana closed her eyes and a quiet hum filled the air. This song had been with her ever since she could remember.

Derek rolled his eyes but knew that Robby was right. He was lucky that this had happened so soon to prove his point. Or, actually, not so lucky... Derek went over to where Angel was reaching for the torch and pulled it from the top effortlessly. She smiled sheepishly and scooted past him to the fire, grabbing the torch. Sighing, the glanced at the decoy pin. It's rough metallic surface reflected a orange tongues of the flames. He re-pinned it to his bag then tried to get a good look at everyone in the room.

Angel scuttled over to the fire and tried to light the top of the torch with the fire which had already started going out. After a few seconds of holding the top over the dying flames, the old charred end blazed to life. It shed another layer of light over everyone, and she was easily able to make out the other children's faces.

Marie looked up at Ianthe through a mess of her hair, it had flipped hald way on one side, the rest trying to settle back down on the other. When she moved her head to see Ianthe more clearly by the light of the makeshift fire it fell evenly at her shoulders, parting naturally; she hadn't bothered to do anything about it since she'd fallen. Marie parted her lips to say something, her face seeming rather long in the moment she hesitated to speak, biting her lip she smiled sheepishly and gave a shrug. Lifting her hand she patted beside her in a friendly gesture to Ianthe for her to sit down. Marie followed Ianthe's movements with her eyes. "Hey..." She said in reply to Ianthe's own.

Right as Robby made it to the fire, it died. "Man," he muttered, almost impossible to hear. But the light was coming from somewhere else. It was Angel, holding a torch. He limped his way over to her.

"Hey. Mind if I borrow some of that?" he asked, but didn't wait for an answer. He took his rolled-up paper and stuck it into the base of the flame. In a matter of seconds, his paper caught on fire, and he had his own variation of a torch.

"Thanks."