PeachSapling

The Dove Pin

Would you like to join if it's approved?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"We practiced on each other before going out of our room. It was hard trying to be the other brother, I can tell you that. Sometimes we almost blew it, but we did manage to even trick our dad. But trust me, it took a lot of work for me to be lazy and careless about others. And I saw on the look of Toby's face, it was hard for him to be working and very generous to others." Martyn said to Angel. "You know, I remember when I was 5, our parents acted like the other. Me and Sandi were so confused about what was going on. Mommy was doing daddy's things, and vise versa. It was so funny." Gertrude said to Angel.

"Is that your brother there?" Martyn asked Angel as he pointed to Derek, who had an unconfortable smile on and not looking like he was having fun.

Sawyer stopped spinning, and stood by Angel. She was dizzy, and it showed. She listen to their conservation with her eyes closed. "That's actually pretty funny! I don't know how you guys an pull it off, I have to have a good understanding of someone to do that." she said.

Angel nodded in wonder at their stories. They sounded like they had normal, plain and common lives as children. She paused as Saywer put her two sense in the conversation. She nodded. "I know my brother pretty well. He's always so..." She paused searching for the right words. "Well, I can't really explain it. He's just Derek." She glanced over to where Martyn was pointing. She nodded and snickered. "Yeah, that's him. He'd probably be cross with me, seeing me being myself again. But as soon as he notices, he can go back to being himself again."

As soon as he was outside, Derek reverted to his normal expression, sighing with relief. Then he scowled and rubbed his cheek again. That crazy grin actually did make his face sore. He looked around at the students flowing from the building and sighed. There were so many. Suddenly, flash of color made him stop. A boy with purplish hair mingled in the crowd. That's strange... Why didn't I see him before? He pushed through the other children and headed towards him. When he got near the boy, he reached out his hand with a slight smile, so his cheeks wouldn't start aching again. "Hey, I'm Derek. I didn't see you at lunch or in classes." He paused, giving the other person an opportunity to introduce himself. In the back of his mind, he hoped Angel would detain herself for a while, he had no desire to 'switch' personalities in front of this other person.

Micah had only just gotten into the group of kids when someone purposefully made theeir way to him. Micah had a hard time without reflexively walking away from the nameless kid; they were probably the same age but Micah always thought of everyone as immature.

Glancing listlessly at the boy's offered hand Micah lifted his gaze to meet the boy's eyes. Without saying a word Micah turned and walked away in silence, there was no way in hell he was going as far as shaking the hand of one of these bumbling morons. Micah did not want to be here. Fat chance at that. So, it was only logical that he'd push everyone away from himself and ignore each of the wet-eared prancing children of the castle and mind his own damned business. They'd all figure out eventually to do the same.

Robby looked out into the fresh air he hadn't seen for a few hours since he first entered the school. Taking a deep breath, he looked around. He wondered if anyone would be interested in playing Crack the Whip with him. Maybe that Angel kid wants to play, she always seems in a playful mood. Robby cast about to find her.

Derek's smile dissolved as the boy walked off without even acknowledging his greeting. He turned and looked around for Angel. If she was... Yup. Grinning and laughing already. Well, that was his cue to stop acting like an idiot. He chose a tall tree and sat with his back against it, observing the other students playing with an emotionless frown.

~Ariana~

As soon as they seemed to reach where ever they were going Adriana went to the outskirt and sat on the ground. She chuckled quietly as she watched a few kids nearby play tag. A few moments passed before she reached into her knapsack and took the sketch back out. Adriana turned back to the page that had the uncompleted dove on it and then resumed her drawing.

~Elayna~

As they arrived outside((if they're outside?)) Elayna looked around her curiously. So many new things. She laughed softly as a couple kids playing tag ran past her. She was forced to take a step back to avoid a collision. When she stepped back she was stopped short as she felt herself bump into something. She turned around quickly to see a blonde haired boy standing there.

"Oh! I am so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going! Are you ok?"

((Tag: Robby))

As soon as all of the students had filed out of the Dining Hall, Marie stood up and followed, she stuck as close to the wall as she could and made a sharp left as soon as she got to the door. Because she was looking down to avoid the gaze of anyone who might look at her she ended up bumping into someone and the force of it knocked her down square on her rear. Marie flinched from the sharp stab of pain but it quixkly numbed and became a dull throb, easy to ignore.

Finding the courage to look up she saw a young boy whom she didn't recognize. Immediately Marie blushed and looked away, somehow unable to move. "U-uhm...I'm sorry..." She whispered lamely, too shy to speak any louder than a squeak.

((There, Robby, I literally had them run into each other ;P Skyne that is.))

Edited by Chasilin

((GUYS I AM SO SORRY. I was away at a math workshop thing and forgot to tell you since the thread was sort of half-dead when I left. Auuuugh what am I going to have Ianthe do now.))

Ianthe blinked down at her bowl of soup, still only half-finished, before shrugging and following the others outside. She walked to an unpopulated corner of the lawn and looked at the other kids. Suddenly, she noticed a boy, with purplish hair, walking into the crowd as if to blend into it. She raised an eyebrow, and watched on as Derek approached him. He really didn't expect to be noticed, with hair like that? The other boy walked away without a word, ignoring Derek's introduction. He's not just being shy, either. He's deliberately avoiding people, for some reason. Noticing that he was now walking in her general direction, Ianthe stared at him, trying to catch his eye to see how he would react.

she was stopped short as she felt herself bump into something. She turned around quickly to see a blonde haired boy standing there.

"Oh! I am so sorry! I wasn't watching where I was going! Are you ok?"

~~~

she ended up bumping into someone and the force of it knocked her down square on her rear.

(Deja Vu?)

Robby looked back to the force that nearly knocked him to the ground.

"Oh!"

He turned around to see a young woman standing behind him. She instantly started apologizing.

"I'm good, you?"

~~~

Skyne felt a bump, and heard a small thump on the ground behind him. He turned around. He noticed a small character, slightly frial, at that, on the floor behind him.

"U-uhm...I'm sorry..."

"It's okay. Accidents happen." he replied. Then, with a stange face, in slight joke, he added, "That was an accident, right?" He held out his hand to help her up.

Marie nodded timidly and looked at his hand for a moment as if it was the strangest thing in the world. She figured out what the gesture meant and tentatively placed her hand in his, using his strength to help her get to her feet, it was a tad awkward considering she was wearing a dress.

"Thank you..." She murmured and tried to glance away but her eyes snapped back to his and she held his gaze this time. Offering a one-handed curtsy she realized her hand was still held in his and she shook it gently.

"My name is Marie...and you?" Marie removed her hand and let it fall to her side, her other arm wrapped behind her back and took hold of the one at her side, holding it lightly.

-----------

Micah continued to walk away, his long strides never breaking pace, he was minding his own business when his eyes were drawn to that belonging to a girl, off to the side from the others. Against his will he found himself heading in her direction without intention of stopping until he reached her. Irritated by his own body he pulled down his listless mask and approached her. Giving a curt but respectful bow of his head to her in greeting he followed up with an introduction. "Micah, and you?" Was all he said, yet somehow, for him, it seemed enough.

"Marie? That's a nice name," he said, right after helping the girl up. "The name's Skyne." he answered, turning back around. He recognized the girl as a shy one, and a bit socially awkward, so he decided to talk with her a bit to chip away at that. He took a breath of the air. It smelled fresh and wonderful, like fresh-fallen pine needles.

"It smells wonderful out, don't you think?"

The other boy met Ianthe's eye, and began walking towards her. Ianthe blinked. She hadn't expected him to actually approach her, judging from the way he had just brushed Derek off mere seconds ago. He introduced himself with three quick words. Ianthe hesitated for a few seconds, wondering if he was going to add anything else, before opening her mouth to reply. "I'm Ianthe." Her line of sight slid down to the sword Micah was carrying. "Nice to meet you."

Marie instantly blushed to the boy's compliment and found herself at a loss for words as he helped her to her feet. She was never very good at handling compliments no matter how small they were.

"Nice to meet you..."She murmured silently while peering cautiously up at the boy though she found herself gazing tentatively at his profile while he breathed in the pine-fresh air. Somehow Marie found it peaceful and she was able to relax if only a little while she traced his face with her eyes, unable to look away.

"Mmmn..." She said in wordless agreement, turning around to watch the sky and breath in the air to really grasp the tranquility of nature. She loved it and remarkably, she forgot how nervous she was with this absolute stranger and simply relished the moment. "It really is..." He voice was a soft as the wind and wistful in the thoughtful way that someone, who only fondly appreciated nature, ever could.

-------

Micah 'tsk's silently and looked away, his sharp jaw line angled up from the ground and away as he peered distastefully at the playing children gallivanting around. His eyes were drawn back to Ianthe as he felt her gaze on his sword and he instinctively folded his arms to hide it beneath the folds of his clothes. He hated people looking at it and unnecessarily feeling uncomfortable around it. It's not like it 'bit' anyone when it was sheathed.

His eyes were narrowed slits and he looked down on the girl before him before suddenly, and quite without warning, sitting down beside her in a comically serious criss-cross-applesauce fashion. He didn't feel like standing anymore...it bothered him and that was his only reason but he felt troubled by what the girl would gather form it. As quickly as that thought had come it fled from the mental lashing he gave it and never dared to return. Why should he give a damned thing about what someone else thought.

With his eyes closed and back against the wall he intended on falling asleep but with someone so close...he found that hard to do, he figured this girl was harmless but all the same he didn't trust someone he did not know well enough to sleep defenselessly beside them. Peering out from one opened eyes he stared at her wondering what the hell she was doing and if he was supposed to actually keep talking to her...

Suddenly, Micah sat down beside her and Ianthe flinched at the movement. She righted herself and looked at him incredulously. Was he trying to say something with these actions? Judging by the way he had just brushed Derek off, randomly introducing himself to strangers wasn't just something he did often. There was, really, no reason he would introduce himself to her, and even less reason for him to just sit down and do nothing after doing so. She found herself wishing that he had reacted to her experiment in some other way.

Is this about the pin?

Ianthe's eyes widened. With all the weirdness the trinket had attracted earlier in the day, it was certainly a possibility. She turned her head sharply and looked down at her bag. But the pin was still in there, wasn't it? Micah couldn't have seen it. Very deliberately, she shuffled two steps to the left, then plonked herself down on the grass and opened the bag, rummaging around in it until her fingers brushed the pin. She pulled it out and turned it over. Not that, then. Ianthe frowned and glanced at Micah again.

Micah almost wanted to smile the way that this girl flinched and reacted to his movements. He had a sudden urge to tease her a little more but the childish revelation of that sort of game really hit Micah hard and he quickly dismissed the thought.

She suddenly, quite deliberately, moved away from him and began to rummage through her bag until she pulled out a small trinket. At first, Micah watched it in mild interest, drawn to it by the glint it gave off from the light but, as soon as she turned it around in her hands, he caught a glimpse of a familiar figure. Suddenly Micah was openly glaring at the pin the girl was holding, his gaze was murderous and it cut like knives, sending daggers and and waves of killing intent towards the tiny and innocent dove.

What the hell was this girl doing with that in a place like this.

Micah wanted to cut it away from the girl, Ianthe or whatever, but he also had a good feeling he'd injure her in his current state of majorly lacking focus and reason.

There was no particular explanation for why he abhorred that damned dove but it really got to him in the worst kind of way and recalling the very same pin of his own latched deep within the folds of his clothing, just pissed him off more.

Skyne looked over at the scene. He wondered what he was going to do outside today.

Hmm...

It was then he realized: he was still holding hands with Marie. With a small blush, he let go and put his hand to his side. He looked away.

Hmm. I was trying to make her less shy, when I'm still shy.

Ianthe flinched and looked down quickly. She hadn't really expected any reaction from Micah, much less such a violent one. She dropped the pin back into her bag and rearranged its contents nervously. He definitely knows something about the pins, though, whether he actually has one or not. Ianthe closed her bag, took a deep breath, and turned back to Micah. "I - the pin. There's, uh, there are apparently a lot of kids here that have that same pin, and-" Ianthe glanced over at Marie, who seemed to be talking to a boy she hadn't seen before. "We all have the same story. Adopted, pin was found with us, something like that. So I'm, sort of trying to figure out what's going on now, I guess. Do you..." Ianthe squeezed her bag and finished with an inquisitive look.

Marie was bright eyes and red faced , her gaze averted and flickering between Skyne's and the ground. When he let go of her hand she let it fall to her side limply and the other wrapped around in front of her to grasp her other elbow in it's palm. Fingers curled comfortably around the warm skin and she felt the heat in her cheeks begin to fade. Marie was hopelessly clueless as to what she was meant to do next to she absently gazed out at the other children to distract herself from the awkwardness they'd created between themselves.

---

Micah's unbidden rage dwindled by the many milliseconds that it took for Ianthe to return the pin safely to her bag, his eyes trailed after it and he visibly relaxed once it was gone, though he was still smoldering.

Sadly, Ianthe was far too practiced, or so it would seem, at the art of tossing oil into the flames and the embers that had been ready to dim themselves out peacefully raged once again and Micah's body tensed. He controlled himself this time and nothing so much as betrayed him apart from the feint rustle of cloth as it adjusted over his stiff muscles.

He listened, patiently and politely while Ianthe tripped and blundered over the tongue in her mouth between her snapping teeth. He hardly focused on any of her features but her eyes and he held them squarely with his own until she was finished. She might have looked away every so often but he remained unblinking all the while.

Slowly, deliberately, he pulled the dove pin free of the folds of his clothes and let the surface glint snidely in the light of day. It seemed to wink at Micah and remind him that he bore such an embarrassing token without ever parting from it however much he loathed it.

When he was certain she'd seen enough of it he bid it back to the hollows of his fabrics that donned his pale skin and lit it sit in silence to repent for it's existence.

"I share a similar beginning though what happened from then until now is undoubtedly different from any one of you. I'm not like anyone here." His tone was relatively low, voice as chaffing as velvet against glass. It was hard not to be taken in by it but thankfully his voice did little to befit his image and however alluring it might be, one look was enough to wake anyone from the dream of his utterances.

Ianthe stared at his pin, the corners of her mouth tugging down. Definitely the same as the rest of theirs. She had somewhat hoped that he wouldn't have one - she was apparently in charge of "figuring this out", and there were way too many kids to keep track already. And Micah definitely wasn't going to go along with any of it. She sighed. She watched as he returned the pin to its hiding place, then looked back down at her bag, as if seeing through it to the pin inside. She listened, batting at the straps of her bag idly, to what the other boy said next. Was he actually answering the second part of her question, in his weird roundabout way?

"I'm not like anyone else here."

Ianthe sucked in a breath. She suddenly felt quite angry. What was this kid trying to do, approaching her out of nowhere and then trying to be all mysterious about everything? Hello. My name's Micah. I have one of those pins you're trying to figure stuff out about too, but clearly I'm too important to tell you anything or attempt to socialize like a regular human being. Realizing that she was still holding her breath, she let it out with a snort, dug her stuffed animal out and gave it a frustrated squeeze. There was no point trying to yell at him. She knew she would only embarrass herself.

(Bump?)

(Oh, and I'm waiting on you, Evang.

((Oops, sorry. Is Elayna still in front of you?))