angelicdragonpuppy

Generic Cave

Would you like a biome/cave entrance where all dragons could be found?  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey everyone! This is a simple suggestion, so I'll make it quick. I enjoy the biomes--both because it makes breed selection easier and because sometimes it's just fun to imagine plucking eggs out of a certain area--but I also miss the old cave. It was fun to be able to sit in one area and just see every variety of egg come whizzing through at one point or another.

So my suggestion is to create an all-inclusive biome, either on the DC main page or as a generic biome listed alongside the others. Biome would probably just be called cave, if it ended up being one.

Why?

Simply because it's fun to have true randomness (yes, yes, I know one could simply stalk the AP or randomly pick a biome to plunge into, but that's not quite the same).

As for the sort of 'in-game' logic behind it--well, every time you go to the main page, it still says you just entered a CAVE of some sort, yes? If there's discarded eggs of every type there, makes sense that there'd be CB eggs of every type there, too. smile.gif

One potential issue I could see with this would be it taking up space on the cave's server... things... however the technical aspect works. However the cave has proven itself quite capable of managing numerous biomes at once, so I don't think one more would break anything.

(Also my apologies if this has been brought up before--I did search, but the search function hates me and always seems to return random results instead of anything relevant.)

Edit because I think some people are confused: this would NOT erase the biomes. It'd either

1) simply be that the main cave functions as a biome in itself--when you first go to DC, there'll be three eggs on the first page, but there'll also still be the map and links to the current biomes.

2) or this generic cave would simply be added in as a cave biome, listed alongside the other biomes. smile.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I don't really see the need for this, personally. If it was offered as an alternative to the biomes, I guess, but it seemed like it would cause problems... I mean, it couldn't post the same eggs that are falling in the other biomes, so it would either mean fewer eggs are falling in the biomes, or more eggs are falling in general. I'm guessing the first one is more likely. So with all the eggs to select from, from all the biomes, I'm guess that it would be blocked most of the time, because that was the whole reason we moved away from the main cave in the first place.

I don't really see the need for this, personally. If it was offered as an alternative to the biomes, I guess, but it seemed like it would cause problems... I mean, it couldn't post the same eggs that are falling in the other biomes, so it would either mean fewer eggs are falling in the biomes, or more eggs are falling in general. I'm guessing the first one is more likely. So with all the eggs to select from, from all the biomes, I'm guess that it would be blocked most of the time, because that was the whole reason we moved away from the main cave in the first place.

Yeah, I agree with this.

If there was a new biome like this, then that's where everyone would hunt at the top of the hour, because they'd have the chance of getting all the rares that they want in one place, rather than having to decide if they want to hunt in the alpine for an ice or the volcano for a magma. I think we'd just encounter the same problems that there were in the past that led to the biomes in the first place.

One thing I would like to see, however, is a more even spread in the biomes of rares vs commons. At the moment, most people start of hunting in the desert because the chance of finding rares there is a lot higher than the other biomes, but the majority of dragons dropped in the coast (with the exception of rares that are dropped in all the biomes, of course) are cave blockers. So that's something I'd like to see evened up a bit, but I don't really support what you're suggesting. Sorry!

I will say no to this because of what is already said

Also, before someone comes to this idea: the cave shows all the eggs passing through all the biomes

NO because the player that's in the ''cave'' has an advantage over the ones that go to the biomes

(How does this make sense RP-wise?)

My answer is a no for various reasons, sorry. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

it couldn't post the same eggs that are falling in the other biomes, so it would either mean fewer eggs are falling in the biomes, or more eggs are falling in general.

A 'one stop shopping block' that shows eggs from all the biomes is possible, displaying information from the server is a simple task. However depending on how it's set up in the server it would be as simple as cake, or make for one laggy page.

However adding new biome that has all types of eggs doesn't really appeal to me either. The way it is now makes much more sense game wise and shows a marked improvement in the game. If I want a fire type dragon I check out the volcano area, if I want a water type I head to the coastal regions.

Finding an egg that came from a dragon living miles off to the jungle right next to an egg that came from a dragon that supposedly lives in the alpine mountains on the other side of the map doesn't seem possible, and in all likely improbable.

Why would they be there?

I vote no, though I'm not adverse to the idea of brand new biomes in the future for different types.

(How does this make sense RP-wise?)

My answer is a no for various reasons, sorry. ^^

Maybe it's just me, but lots of different dragon-based stories seem to have concepts either based around special dragon breeding grounds or gathering areas or whatever. It could just be something like that. Also, as I said, even right now the cave RP logic seems to support it--very front page, "You enter the cave and see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings, sleeping on piles of gold." Sounds like a gathering place to me. xd.png

As for other's issues with it, namely where it would take eggs from and that it would be overused--

As for the overuse, obviously back when we had only one cave in which to hunt, there wasn't a great deal of lag there (that I ever noticed, anyway). Let's say that a generic biome was instated. Even if 80% of users now flocked to the front page, the biomes would still probably take away 20% of the traffic--giving an added plus of speed to the front page that, again, the original never possessed. So it ought to run just fine. smile.gif

And again, this 80/20 ratio is just an example. Personally, I don't think the front cave would truly be used that much. Rares drop in all biomes (by which I mean metallics/papers/cheeses do--correct?), so people looking for rares would still likely opt for biomes with less user traffic than the main cave if they were rare-hunting. The issues I can see would be all the trios in one spot, and then pseudo-rares like blacks and stripes. While I agree that this might be something of an issue, I offer two counter-points;

- I believe that most people when hunting for specific dragons would still go to their specific biomes. Blacks and trios drop in a limited number of biomes, and thus appear more frequently in those areas simply because they have less other breeds to contend with. So if people were truly all gung-ho about catching a rare, they'd probably focus on one type and then camp out in that location for maximum chances.

- Secondly, some eggs (most importantly, stripes) share their description with another species. The nice thing about the biomes is that you can find stripes in an area where you KNOW you'll only find stripes. People who stuck to the main biome over the selective ones would lose that advantage, and risk getting stuck with something other than what they'd intended to grab. smile.gif

The last issue would be the matter of where the eggs are coming from. I don't really understand ratios, but I feel like this wouldn't be too much of an issue if the biome just had its own eggs, as the others do. Either they could follow the ratios independently of what drops in the specific biomes or they could all work together to follow the ratios, which while it might decrease the amount of eggs in other biomes, well--in many biomes, common-breed clogging seems to be a problem. Perhaps distributing the eggs out across more areas wouldn't be such a bad thing; sure, ALL areas might still be common-clogged, but now there's a whole new three eggs that at the very least might offer a different mixture of commons than in the other areas.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'd just prefer going back to the original Cave and dumping the biomes altogether. One blocked cave is better than 5 or 6 blocked caves and 1 or 2 empty caves. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about missing rares, they'd only drop in one place.

I just had a taste of what the old Cave was like with hundreds of people all clicking on the same three little spots, so I also have to say thee nay on this one.

I could somewhat imagine a Random biome thing with slightly less eggs than the others (while having more eggs on the screen at once as oppose to the typical 3) but I'm going to disagree with this for the time being.

One thing I would like to see, however, is a more even spread in the biomes of rares vs commons. At the moment, most people start of hunting in the desert because the chance of finding rares there is a lot higher than the other biomes, but the majority of dragons dropped in the coast (with the exception of rares that are dropped in all the biomes, of course) are cave blockers.

Does this issue have its own thread yet?

It's definitely something that I'd like to see changed.

As for the topic at hand: The Biomes make sense and I definitely think we should keep them.

But I kind of miss having a generic Cave where anything could appear.

The surprise element of it was a lot of fun, so I voted "yes" in the poll.

Does this issue have its own thread yet?

It's definitely something that I'd like to see changed.

My question is - do we have definitive proof?

Maybe it's just me, but lots of different dragon-based stories seem to have concepts either based around special dragon breeding grounds or gathering areas or whatever. It could just be something like that. Also, as I said, even right now the cave RP logic seems to support it--very front page, "You enter the cave and see many large dragons scattered about, some with hatchlings, sleeping on piles of gold." Sounds like a gathering place to me. xd.png

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant to have one place where that would gather eggs (basically, show what's in the queue first while also showing in biomes) rather than a separate place. x3

We already have a gathering place - the abandoned page. ;p

I support this idea! I kind of miss having one, generic cave... It would be nice because usually in drops,because of my fail computer, I kind of have to pick one biome to get good eggs. Lots of times I can't decide so it would be nice to have a cave that drops everything.

Of course, I want the usual biomes to stay too though tongue.gif

Edited by AvianCrow

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant to have one place where that would gather eggs (basically, show what's in the queue first while also showing in biomes) rather than a separate place. x3

We already have a gathering place - the abandoned page. ;p

Yes, but doesn't it seem odd (RP-wise) that all the eggs there are abandoned ones? I understand that a sort of dumping grounds for dragon tamers might exist, but again, the cave mentions a bunch of dragons lying around--suggesting there are still wild (or at least only semi-tame) dragons there, not just a bunch of people popping in to throw down eggs. xd.png

As for just gameplay logic--I do use the AP, I really do, but there are times when I'd simply like the fun of getting a random CB egg as opposed to a random lineaged egg. And I'd also argue that the AP isn't really as random as I'd like it to be--the whole purpose of the AP is for people to dump eggs that, well, they don't want anymore, so it tends to be filled with the most super-common breeds without offering even normal-but-nicer things such as reds or pinks or whatever.

As for just gameplay logic--I do use the AP, I really do, but there are times when I'd simply like the fun of getting a random CB egg as opposed to a random lineaged egg. And I'd also argue that the AP isn't really as random as I'd like it to be--the whole purpose of the AP is for people to dump eggs that, well, they don't want anymore, so it tends to be filled with the most super-common breeds without offering even normal-but-nicer things such as reds or pinks or whatever.

Half the time all I can find in the AP is danged cb eggs. >U

I've seen plenty of nice things in the AP. Caught most my pinks and reds from there. A few tinsels. My first ice and a magma, I believe. Also caught quite a few things with 'nice' lineages. o3o

Well, considering how Alpine seems to have the best cut of the egg drops (especially with the recent release), it's pretty much the same as the old cave. :u I don't really like it - I think it makes more sense for different kinds of eggs to be found in different climates. Like, a magma and ice egg chilling together? Orly?

I like how biomes distribute the different breeds over several caves. It helps with increasing the chance of individuals of finding specific eggs they want (less breeds per biome = greater chance of the one you need showing up) and spreads out the competition which helps with lag reduction and makes it slightly easier to hunt. I know why people miss the old system: with biomes, there's always the chance you'll be in the wrong biome when rares drop. Yeah, that's true and while I would love to see metallics in the cave, I don't think it's a particularly strong reason on its own to have the old cave put back in. The main problem I see of having both coincide is that one will prove advantageous (the old cave) and the other will be the fall back if there's nothing good in the main one.

TBH, I'm more curious about what would happen if a restructure of the breed distribution across biomes was put in place. o3o It doesn't take a seasoned player to tell that the alpine/desert clears out really fast compared to the coast. Using the recent release example again, you wouldn't immediately think alpine needed a boost of new eggs to help get it to 'move along', right? If new eggs showed up in the coast, it would help out with the almost-always-standstill situation we have there.

i dont agree cuz what other ppl are saying and also the fact that i think finding the "rare" dragons in their natural cave is more satisfying then finding it in a totally random cave... i barely started this game, but i think it would be more satisfying to find a rare dragon that way.. biggrin.gif

hmm, I kinda prefer 1 cave better, at least then things moved faster.

smile.gif the alphine and the desert is how the cave should work. Empty at all times except at the top of the hour

I could barely grab any eggs in the original cave, at least not the one si wanted. with the biomes, that improved for me, and from what i have heard many others had the same experience.

going back to the old system for me would mean playing dragcave a lot less, or out of frustration about not being able to find any eggs, not at all.

smile.gif the alphine and the desert is how the cave should work. Empty at all times except at the top of the hour

not everyone has time to be online at the top of the hour. for those people it would be pretty much game over, if it was empty except at the top of the hour. for me it would be....

not everyone has time to be online at the top of the hour. for those people it would be pretty much game over, if it was empty except at the top of the hour. for me it would be....

Indeed.

I didn't think I'd like the biomes when I first heard about them, but now that I've used them I love them, and they seem to make hunting easier. I wouldn't want to go back to a single cave entrance.

It seems to me that some of you may have misread the OP. The suggestion is for a biome similar to the original cave where all dragon species can be found in addition to the existing biomes, not for the site to revert back to the original one cave format.

That being said, I don't support this. There's already a "biome" where all eggs can (technically) be found - it's called the AP.

Personally, I'd rather just see a direct link to the AP thrown up with the links to the other biome than a generic cave. That's rather what the AP seems like these days, anyway.

I'd rather something be done to reshuffle cave blockers out of the biomes and back into the que rather than create a generic cave biome. Because that cave will block the same way the biomes do - with an albino, a whiptail and a neotropical.