TLOSpyrogirl

Freerice

That's right. At www.freerice.com, you answer trivia questions, and for every question you get right, you donate ten grains of rice to people in need!

I just signed up. It's actually entertaining. I've already donated nearly 8,000 grains, just by answering easy questions. It's not a virus. Look it up. The only drawback is that you have to have AdBlock disabled. They won't hijack your computer if you keep it on, but it's the ad people who pay for the rice, so not keeping it off for that site will just waste your time. You don't need to download anything, there's no toolbar. You go to the site, and you answer questions. Is all.

So? Have you ever heard of this site? Do you play there? If you don't, will you? (Does this belong in Multimedia or General Discussion? o.O)

I love freerice! It's such a grand idea! I only wish there were more difficult questions, because I bore easily.

Yeah, it gets really easy after a while. That's okay, though... guaranteed rice, hey? xd.png I can't do math or chemistry or geography, though, because I fail... xd.png I've made a lot off grammar and vocabulary, of course!

Oh yeah, I remember that! Donated over 20,000 grains of rice in two half-hour periods in fifth grade. I did the rediculousy easy multiplication ones (Ex. 8x9, 7x4, 3x6, etc.). Also did the language ones. (Yay! Learning!)

mm yeah, english teacher made our class sign up. but it does get a bit boring after a while~ good cause though ^^

I wish my teacher had made me do this. Instead of doing stupid art at Kerpoof, I could have been giving people rice! xd.png

Some of my fellow student were doing this while we had some free time at a conference. We were all working together trying to remember the letter abbreviations for the elements on the periodic table. It was fun.

I love freerice. It's so much fun, and for a good cause. <3

I've gone on there a couple times. I really should play more, hehe. The German part is fun because it gives me a chance to review my German from high school.

Hooray! People actually know about Freerice! *high fives everyone in this thread*

It's my homepage, and I try to donate at least 200 grains of rice each day. I love that it's for a good cause, doesn't cost money, and I can actually find bits of time to donate. smile.gif

I didn't know it but I think this is a great idea!

Now I just need some help on how I can disable my Adblock for just this site... Or is the only way to do this to disable it manually when going there, and then enabling it manually when you leave?

I've tried making a filter for freerice.com and then unckecking that, but that doesn't do it.

PS: I also have Noscript but I already gave permission for everything on freerice.com

If you have Ad Block Plus, click on the stop sign and uncheck 'Enabled for this site'. Refresh and if it doesn't work, do it again until the stop sign greys out. And if you don't have ABP...well, you should get it. xd.png

I've been on this for a few years, I like using it to shape up my grammar while donating. smile.gif

If you have Ad Block Plus, click on the stop sign and uncheck 'Enabled for this site'. Refresh and if it doesn't work, do it again until the stop sign greys out. And if you don't have ABP...well, you should get it. xd.png

I have Adblock Plus, but I don't see a stop sign anywhere?

EDIT: nevermind, me is blind... Found it and fixed it, now I'll try to donate daily.

Edited by Fengari

I love freerice and do try to remember to go to it now and then. Having it be your homepage is a good idea...only I don't quit my browser. x3

I remember sharing it with my humanities teacher one year and we took a day in class for everyone to go through the vocab for a while. :3

I did vocabulary and I can't get all the words. I can't remember what level I was. 30 or 40, I think. I like that category the best, because it actually challenges me without being excrutiatingly difficult like the pre-algebra math category. Is it bad that I'm a teenager and can't get past level 4-5 (or 5-6, maybe) in basic math? Or that I can't tell what 8 + 6 is without counting on my fingers? o.O

Edit: Nope, four. I don't know what 85/100 is in percentage! Are you crazy!? *yelling at screen* D:

Edited by TLOSpyrogirl

I did vocabulary and I can't get all the words. I can't remember what level I was. 30 or 40, I think. I like that category the best, because it actually challenges me without being excrutiatingly difficult like the pre-algebra math category. Is it bad that I'm a teenager and can't get past level 4-5 (or 5-6, maybe) in basic math? Or that I can't tell what 8 + 6 is without counting on my fingers? o.O

Edit: Nope, four. I don't know what 85/100 is in percentage! Are you crazy!? *yelling at screen* D:

Anything out of 100 is just that number. You really can't get easier with percents than with 100. It's 85%. 76/100 is 76% and so on.

*blink*

I think I might be Dyscalculic. That's probably part of it... That or I'm just so stubborn I refuse to learn math. xd.png

I used to go there a few times, heard of it at school. Not so much anymore, haven't been on in a few years, I think...

Edited by aquamarine__

Oooh! I adore Freerice and haven't been to that site in ages. Once finals are over I'll have to visit there again.

Although it's debatable how worthwhile Freerice is... one cup of rice is something like 7000 grains, which takes quite a while to work up to...

According to Wikipedia, it takes 19,200 grains of rice to feed one adult for a day. I just heard of this site yesterday or something but didn't have time to post, but I'm going to try to donate at least 1,000 grains of rice each day.

I used to play this all the time as part of a Steam clan thing-- the word definition game is definitely my favorite. Although, I wish there were something like this but for animals in need, like instead of donating rice you're donating kibble (or money to get strays neutered and spayed)...