aangs-sister

The Hatching Dragon Spriting Contest

Will you participate? If so, how?  

122 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Please answer the poll honestly. The data collected will be used to decide the # of catagories, prizes, ect...

The deadlines are now:

1st category: Feb 13th

2nd category: Feb 27th

3rd category: March 12th

Are you one of those people who get the eggs from a new release and spend the time waiting for the egg to hatch wondering what it will be? Now you get to choose!

As the name suggests, this is a spriting contest. Very simply, several eggs with descriptions will be made, and the idea is to make an adult dragon that could come from it.

(Note: this example will not be part of the contest; in the actual contest there will be egg sprites to go along with the descriptions.)

Example: (a grey egg covered in fur) This egg makes a barking noise as you walk by

You can make any kind of dragon, and long and it is related to the description and the appearance of the egg. The example could be a dog dragon, a wolf dragon, a guard dog dragon, a were-wolf, any furry animal that barks, it could just be a dragon with long hair that makes loud noises if you wanted! And as for appearance it could be eastern, western, lindwyrm, two-headed, whatever you think fits best!

One of the reasons I am making this is so new spriters have a chance to show-off and maybe get TJ’s notice. In-cave spriters may enter, but will be marked on a much, much tougher rubric. I ask that in-cave spriters consider helping make eggs or donate prizes over entering.

What’s that? Did I say prizes?

PRIZES!

That’s right! Winners will receive prizes for their work! Each egg category will have 3 winners (gold, silver, & bronze)

• 1) Bragging rights

2) A custom signature button

3) (1st place winners only) Rights to use the egg and its description (along with your entry) for a dragon request.

4) Eggs! (This depends on donations)

DONATIONS!

If you want to donate, fill out and post this form!

• I want to donate!

Username: (your forum name)

Scroll name: (your name on the main site)

Breed(s) I want to donate: (Golds, gold tinsel, trios, ect…)

EGG SPRITES/CATEGORIES

The # of egg sprites you can choose to sprite from will be based on the # of people interested in entering (based on the poll). There will be one egg for every 7-10 people interested. (30 people interested = 3 or 4 egg categories) This ratio may seem large, but we need to assume many people who consider entering will change their minds. Each egg sprite will be considered its own ‘category’.

We will need eggs to base the dragon off of. I will make a few, but feel free to donate! Please keep in mind 1st place winners get rights to use the egg and its description for a dragon request if they want. You will still receive credit if they complete a DR with your egg gets into the cave.

I would like very fancy eggs (like the Easter egg hunt) if possible. If many eggs are donated, not all of them will be used, so if the contest starts and you don’t see your egg, it’s not because it has been missed or was not liked. If you want to donate an egg fill out this form and send it to me through PM.

~We are no longer accepting egg sprites~

ENTERY INFO

Once the egg sprites are unveiled, the contest officially begins! At that time, I will post 2 entry forms.

The first form will be telling us what categories you want to enter. If a category gets less than 3 people entering after about week, it will be deleted.

The second form will be for submitting your finished sprite. Once your sprite has been posted, you may no longer make changes to it. DO NOT POST SKETCHES/SPRITES-LINES/SPRITES ANYWHERE until you have officially submitted them. After people start submitting their finished sprites, a deadline will be set. If you feel you need more time, please ask. This is a spriting contest, not a speed contest.

Depending on the # of finished sprite entries, the number of judges will change. Currently there are 2, me and another forum member who will remain anonymous. If we feel it is necessary, I will post requesting another judge. All judges (except me) will remain anonymous until after the winners are announced, afterwards they may or may not reveal themselves.

Once the contest is over, you are free to do whatever you wish with your sprites. This applies to unused egg sprites as well. Start a dragon request, submit them to a request, abandon them, whatever you like!

Edited by aangs-sister

Rules

Please read the rules before submitting anything. Breaking any of these rules will result in the disqualification of your entry.

1) One person per sprite. No colabs, using art from the abandoned art thread, ect. All work submitted must be your own.

2) One entry per egg, but you may enter for as many eggs as you like.

3) Sprites must be first published on this thread or directly to me. This means no pulling sprites/work from dragon request or submitting something you have on deviantart/another site.

4) The sprites must be full sized dragons only. This is a dragon spriting contest, and we will be using full sized eggs (in other words, no pygmies). This also means no drakes, dinos, enchanted objects, ect… and no making new races of dragon-like creatures.

5) All entries must be named (example: The guard dog dragon) Adding a description is optional but will not make you any more likely to win.

6) One gender’s sprite only. Your dragon is allowed to have gender differences, but only one sprite can be entered. Submitting a male and a female will be treated as submitting two sprites.

7) All dragon cave request rules apply. Sprites must be 100X100 pixels max, fit the cave's medieval theme, ect...

EGG SPRITE CATEGORIES

Category 1

user posted image

This silvery egg is covered in tear shaped gems

Category Deadline: Feb 13th

Entrants/Entries for this category:

Username: RainStar13

Category #: 1

Dragon Name: Sapphire Tear Gem Amphithere

Image: user posted image

Dragon Description: (optional) I don't feel like writing a description atm. xd.png

Username: Infinis

Dragon Name: Cobalt Soulbreaker

Dragon Description: Cobalt Soulbreakers are named not only for their magnificent cobalt scales but for their heartwrenching cries described as "soulbreaking." In reality, these cries are used for echolocation because their eyesight is poor; this is how they hunt. Their eerie cries have led them to be mostly ostracized by other dragons, and so it is rare for them to be found living with dragons not their own kind.

Username: Xbcdrt8741

Category #(s): One

Username: Grishiu

Dragon Name: Blue Omen Dragon

Dragon Description: Adorned with a blue tear shaped crystal on their heads, Blue Omen dragons take their name from the unfortunate predictions they give. Assisted with their glowing sphere, many of these predictions bear grief and sorrow. Due to their unpopularity, these infamous dragons are often secluded within caves and only come out to hunt. However, their specialty frequently alerts them of coming battles and dangers, which is why the species flourishes.

Username: flitzthesoulreaper

Dragon Name: Weeping Gemlings

Dragon Description: (Do or die) Weeping Gemlings, despite their melancholic names are quite a cheery and playful species. They were called this way by the native races because of the tear-shaped gem on their foreheads and their unusual high-pitched cry. They live high up in the mountains and are mainly herbivores. They also consume soil when they run low on minerals, needed to maintain the gems on their body and their steel-hard skin texture which protects them from the alpine cold. The gems on their back and wings start forming while the dragon is still in its egg and multiply as it grows.

Username: Dragonhatchling

Category #: 1 (one)

Dragon Name: Zirconil

Dragon Description: Zirconil dragons are an unusual breed who have lived undetected for many years. Their seclusion has allowed their gem-like appearance to flourish to its full extent. The scales adorned on their bellies, horns, spikes and claws glow intensely in any type of light which is used as an advantage for mating and display of their feelings. They have the ability to control how much glow their scales give off and when that glow should start or stop. These scales do have a limited glow-life and once fulfilled, are shed to be replaced by a new scale in a matter of weeks. Due to their stunning appearance and some rarity, the gem-like scales that come from these dragons can be sold at a reasonably high price and are often kept as gifts.

Username: velvotg

Dragon Name: Heart dragon

Image:user posted image

Dragon Description: Dont have one at the moment(optional)

Category 2

user posted image

This egg is randomly striped with three types of metal

Category Deadline: Feb 27th

Category #: 2

Dragon Name: Trimetal Emperor

Dragon Description: Proud, loyal and wise, Trimetal Emperors were often held captive by royalty. Their bronze scales, silver antlers, golden plates and brilliant minds always attracted attention in the past, which unfortunately, is also the reason why such a small number of them is left today. Very little is known about them since it's almost impossible to find them in the wild, but it has been mentioned before that they never stop growing. Seeing one is said to bring prosperity and good luck. A Trimetal Emperor will never abandon their companion and they tend to give precious advice when they deem necessary. Though they do try to avoid trouble and conflict whenever they can.

Username: Erinalia

Category #(s): 2 (striped egg)

Username: albinosilver

Dragon Name: Metallic Dragon

Image: Male-user posted image

Dragon Description: Metallic dragons are sometimes produced when a gold and a silver dragon breed together (other times it may just be a normal silver or gold egg). They are very rare to come by and are even more stunning then their parents. The young are born with shiny bronze scales, and only shed them and get their gold-silver ones when they mature. Metallic dragons live high up in cliffs where they dig for certain minerals to eat.

Username: Infinis

Dragon Name: Darkwing

Dragon Description: Despite their beautiful silver scales and golden bellies, a Darkwing's most striking feature is its deep brownish-copper wings. Darkwings are actually hatched with wings of bright copper, but as they grow and age the wings become rapidly darker. Male Darkwings are larger but have a smaller wingspan than the females; the females use their large wings to batter and scare enemies who may be out to harm their young. Darkwings are very good parents - a mother will sacrifice herself for the young if necessary.

Category #(s): 2 and 3

Category 3

user posted image

This egg was sitting in a crater

Category Deadline: March 12th

Username: Grishiu

Category #(s): #3

Category #(s):3

Username: Floralpikmin99

Category #: 3

Dragon Name: Meteor Amphiptere

Image:user posted image

Dragon Description: Meteor Amphipteres are well known for their bright red bodies and strange behavior. These dragons live in the heart of volcanoes and rarely leave. They get their name from their action of smashing their strong bodies into prey or enemies, leaving their bones shattered. They breed only with other Amphipteres and they mate for life.

Category #(s): 2 and 3

_________

Submission Form

[COLOR=red]Username:
Category #:
Dragon Name:
Image:
Dragon Description: (optional)
[/COLOR]

The deadlines are now:

1st category: Feb 13th

2nd category: Feb 27th

3rd category: March 12th

Edited by aangs-sister

The 1st Category Winners!

user posted image First place goes to:

Grishiu's Blue Omen Dragon

user posted image

Adorned with a blue tear shaped crystal on their heads, Blue Omen dragons take their name from the unfortunate predictions they give. Assisted with their glowing sphere, many of these predictions bear grief and sorrow. Due to their unpopularity, these infamous dragons are often secluded within caves and only come out to hunt. However, their specialty frequently alerts them of coming battles and dangers, which is why the species flourishes.

user posted imageAnd in second place:

Infinis's Cobalt Soulbreaker

user posted image

Cobalt Soulbreakers are named not only for their magnificent cobalt scales but for their heartwrenching cries described as "soulbreaking." In reality, these cries are used for echolocation because their eyesight is poor; this is how they hunt. Their eerie cries have led them to be mostly ostracized by other dragons, and so it is rare for them to be found living with dragons not their own kind.

user posted imageAnd finally, third place goes to:

RainStar13's Sapphire Tear Gem Amphithere

user posted image

(No Dragon Description)

The 2nd Category Winners!

user posted image First place goes to:

Infinis's Darkwing Dragon

user posted image

Despite their beautiful silver scales and golden bellies, a Darkwing's most striking feature is its deep brownish-copper wings. Darkwings are actually hatched with wings of bright copper, but as they grow and age the wings become rapidly darker. Male Darkwings are larger but have a smaller wingspan than the females; the females use their large wings to batter and scare enemies who may be out to harm their young. Darkwings are very good parents - a mother will sacrifice herself for the young if necessary.

user posted imageAnd in second place:

Flitzthesoulreaper's Trimetal Emperor

user posted image

[iDragon Description: Proud, loyal and wise, Trimetal Emperors were often held captive by royalty. Their bronze scales, silver antlers, golden plates and brilliant minds always attracted attention in the past, which unfortunately, is also the reason why such a small number of them is left today. Very little is known about them since it's almost impossible to find them in the wild, but it has been mentioned before that they never stop growing. Seeing one is said to bring prosperity and good luck. A Trimetal Emperor will never abandon their companion and they tend to give precious advice when they deem necessary. Though they do try to avoid trouble and conflict whenever they can.[/i]

user posted imageAnd finally, third place goes to:

Albinosilver's Metallic Dragon

No image available

Metallic dragons are sometimes produced when a gold and a silver dragon breed together (other times it may just be a normal silver or gold egg). They are very rare to come by and are even more stunning then their parents. The young are born with shiny bronze scales, and only shed them and get their gold-silver ones when they mature. Metallic dragons live high up in cliffs where they dig for certain minerals to eat.

Donations

I want to donate!

Username: NivaTheDragonQueen

Scroll name: NivaTheDragonQueen

Breed(s) I want to donate: I can donate any of the tinsels you see on my scroll, if my trios produce I can donate those too. I also have some good lineaged stripes I can breed smile.gif

I want to donate!

Username: Aangs-sister

Scroll name: Aangs-sister

Breed(s) I want to donate: Tinsels, nice lineaged BSA dragons, and thuwed lineaged dragons I can get to cooperate

I want to donate!

Scroll name: flitzthesoulreaper

Breed(s) I want to donate:  Ice dragons, if mine will co-operate, silvers (long linages though :/) and tinsels! (My stripes have ugly lineages so I won't even mention these >.<

I want to donate!

Username: Stealthypugs

Scroll name: stealthy

Breed(s) I want to donate: I can breed all three tinsel colors, although they don't have the best lineages, trios, and some nice lineaged stuff (i.e. second gen stripes).

I want to donate!

Username: Dragonhatchling

Scroll name: Dragonhatchling

Breed(s) I want to donate: Everything that is on my scroll I can breed and usually catch. Examples would be Tinsels, Golds, Silvers, Alts (of any kind) all commons and uncommons, Trios, including the cheese even though it is not on my scroll. I catch and give to people and have yet to keep one myself  rolleyes.gif . all except Holly which I have yet to get myself.

I want to donate!

Username: Darketernity

Scroll name: Darketernity (yes, it's currently partly hidden Dx)

Breed(s) I want to donate: [tinsels]

I can breed siblings of these dragons with these exact lineages (Only posting ones with short lineages. I can breed all the colours, but these are the nice ones I can breed): http://dragcave.net/lineage/SMU1X and http://dragcave.net/lineage/TWDeM

I can also breed blacks and stripes since they are breeding quite well at the moment.

Banners & Buttons

Made by Shae's Graphic Studio

user posted image

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=126944][IMG=http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m572/HonorWolf/Hatchlingdesigncontest.gif][/URL]  

Edited by aangs-sister

This sounds pretty neat! I'm not very good at spriting, though, so I'll mostly be an interested bystander. I'll wait to see how things go, but eventually I can donate and maybe even sprite an egg or two. smile.gif

Ooh, this sounds like a lot of fun! I nulled my vote for the poll, but I'd be interested in contributing whatever I can. (Although I prefer plain eggs to fancy ones...) Are we allowed to be super trolls and enter pygmy-sized eggs?

Wait...are y'all making sprites for hatchies, eggs, or dragons???

@~!~ read the second post.

Edited by stogucheme

@~!~

No, regular egg sprites only. If the contest goes really well, I may consider making another all-pygmy contest.

@stogucheme

The contest if for making adult dragons. The adults are to be based on eggs that will be posted on a later date.

I like the idea and I will definitely be giving this a shot if NaNo doesn't slow me down. MS Paint, here I come!

@~!~

No, regular egg sprites only. If the contest goes really well, I may consider making another all-pygmy contest.

@stogucheme

The contest if for making adult dragons. The adults are to be based on eggs that will be posted on a later date.

Ah. Cannot do, then. But I can recolor like mad...mwahahaha!

I am interested in participating but this rule bothers me:

1) One person per sprite. No colabs, using art from the abandoned art thread, ect. All work submitted must be your own.

I can understand the no using art from the abandoned thread, but outlawing collabs? That'll take out anyone who can't do a full sprite, unless you will also be accepting unshaded sprites (unshaded as in lines only, or lines and flats only). Not everyone can do a complete sprite without help from a more experienced person.

I'd like something more like "collabs allowed, but collabs count as an entry for all artists who worked on the sprite."

This also bothers me:

3) (1st place winners only) Rights to use the egg and its description (along with your entry) for a dragon request.

If I lose I still want the right to be able to use my adult dragon sprite for whatever I please, whether I get to use the contest egg or not. Will I retain the right to use only my adult dragon sprite for whatever I please?

Edited by Infinis

If I lose I still want the right to be able to use my adult dragon sprite for whatever I please, whether I get to use the contest egg or not. Will I retain the right to use only my adult dragon sprite for whatever I please?

I'm pretty sure all that rule is saying is that if your dragons win in a category, you get the rights to the egg sprite for that category.

This also bothers me:

I think you misunderstood me. You can still do as you please with your adult sprite if you loose, but only the first place winner gets to use the egg. The egg and it's discription is itself a prize.

The last lines of entry info:

Once the contest is over, you are free to do whatever you wish with your sprites. This applies to unused egg sprites as well. Start a dragon request, submit them to a request, abandon them, whatever you like!

As for the collabs, I 'banned' them mostly for fairness. I don't think it is fair for a 3 person team to make one sprite and compare it to a sprite who only had one person behind it. Also, more people per sprite means more prizes will be needed, and I'm not sure if there will enough as it is now.

As for the collabs, I 'banned' them mostly for fairness. I don't think it is fair for a 3 person team to make one sprite and compare it to a sprite who only had one person behind it. Also, more people per sprite means more prizes will be needed, and I'm not sure if there will enough as it is now.

People can choose if they work together or not. Otherwise, an amazing shader is excluded because they can't do lineart.

Regardless...perhaps two categories? One for groups, one for singles?

Your second concern is up to you...

Hmmmm, I might have considered joining this, I'm just learning to sprite, but I can't sketch or shade very well. I'd feel better about joining if their was a group option.

Are eggs still not allowed to extend past the top and left borders of the template sprite, even if they have a custom cracking sequence?

EDIT: Turns out, yes. That messes up idea #1...

Edited by ~!~

Are eggs still not allowed to extend past the top and left borders of the template sprite, even if they have a custom cracking sequence?

The main egg sprite should be the same or close to the same size as the cave sprites, but the image size can be larger. I don't mind adding an extra layer or two of pixels to the egg, as long as it is within reason. After all, the waterhorse eggs are bigger then the others and has different shading.

Examples: user posted image The egg itself is around the same size as the cave sprites, but the image is bigger.

As for custom cracking sequences, I would love to see them. If an egg needs one for a certain reason, I won't reject it for having one.

On another note...

I'm sorry, but I am staying with the no-collabs for the time being.

Regardless...perhaps two categories? One for groups, one for singles?

If this contest generated enough people considering entering, I may consider opening a collab-only category that doesn't give out egg prizes. However, it would have to be quite a few. (more then 40 at least)

Edited by aangs-sister

The main egg sprite should be the same or close to the same size as the cave sprites, but the image size can be larger. I don't mind adding an extra layer or two of pixels to the egg, as long as it is within reason. After all, the waterhorse eggs are bigger then the others and has different shading.

Examples: user posted image The egg itself is around the same size as the cave sprites, but the image is bigger.

Well, I was asking more on the off chance that one of the winning ideas becomes a DR thread. The egg would have to fit DR's rules, which say that the topmost and leftmost edges of the sprite must be flush with the egg's surface.

I not quite sure what you are asking me. I did a read-through of the DR spriting guide, and there wasn't anything there about egg restrictions based on the template and it's borders.

Please don't worry to much about it. At the rate people are showing intrest in entering, I'll probably be making most (if not all) of the eggs. I would much rather see people focus their energy on entering sprites (or donating) than on the egg sprites.

I didn't say you couldn't submit them, I said don't worry to much about it. The main point of this contest is to have fun!

Remember, we only need 1 egg for every 7-10 (whatever works best) who show interest in the poll, so we don't need that many.

I want to donate!

Username: NivaTheDragonQueen

Scroll name: NivaTheDragonQueen

Breed(s) I want to donate: I can donate any of the tinsels you see on my scroll, if my trios produce I can donate those too. I also have some good lineaged stripes I can breed smile.gif

I am sooo entering! I have some art related stuff to finish but this sounds just fantastic! (Great way to practice my lousy spriting skills too! xd.png) So when will the eggs be posted? (Or are we supposed to make those too?) Sorry I completely misunderstood that part!

WOOT! A donater! I though we might have to cancel the egg prizes!

I'll post the first egg when we have 7 people interested in entering. As the contest continues, if more people become interested, more eggs will be put up.

You don't need to make the eggs. The point is to make an adult sprite based off of an egg and its description.

Sure! Oh and by the way? Can I donate even if I'm actually taking part in the contest? xd.png I could try breeding some stuff for the runner ups! biggrin.gif

Stuff I wish to donate: Ice dragons, if mine will co-operate, silvers (long linages though :/) and tinsels! (My stripes have ugly lineages so I won't even mention these >.<