Fortune86

Fell Haven 2

Eli looked offended at being referred to as 'a simple necromancer'. Either she belived he was stupid or weak, neither of which was very flattering. He was going to ignore her but then she said something about a 'cliff dive'.

"Cliff dive? Wait, are you that person that keeps throwing people off cliffs?"

Moonshine turned her attention to the necromancer and chuckelled.

"Only friends an enemies, it's an old joke." She dismissed it with a wave of her hand and her face grew serious.

"Tegan can ask around the school, get someone who takes that class to introduce you." She didn't need to explain to Tegan why she wasn't offering herself. She glanced to him and gave a devilish smile.

"That is, if you would rather I not do it."

(It's not a case of moonshine thinking of him as a simple necromancer, she just considers it another power. If it's not aimed at her, she has no reason to be wary of it. kinda...)

((Because I want to post.))

While Eli was off on his own Caim decided to get the shopping done. There weren't many places that were happy to serve him, but it wasn't like he cared what other people thought.

He was standing in the bread isle trying to locate that half and half bread that Eli preferred when someone approached and spoke to him.

"Hello Caim" said the girl calmly. "Getting the grocery's in?"

Caim turned and looked the girl up and down. She was wearing the same red school uniform she was always in. He wondered if she ever changed out of it.

"My master does need to eat" he pointed out. "As does Abel I presume."

The girl nodded as she reached for a loaf of brown bread and inspected it before dropping it in her basket.

"Of course. It's strange really. Eli and Abel are both human, and have human needs, but most people seem to have difficulty picturng them eating a peanut and jelly sandwich. Some kids on the street are convinced Abel eats live snakes."

"He does doesn't he?"

"Only the once" replied the girl indigantly. "It was part of a ritual. He spent the next week throwing up. Tying to get anything down him after that was a nightmare."

Caim nodded in understanding. While they possessed completely different forms of magic, there were many similarites between Eli and Abel and their line of work. No wonder people tended to get them confused.

"What does Abel know about these recent murders of Supers?" Caim asked, spotting the bread he was after and grabbing it.

"Everything, I imagine. But you know the rules. He can't give you any information."

The girl looked up at Caim, her eyes meeting his. There was something there, as though she was trying to tell him something without using words. After a few moments she turned away and wordlessly left, leaving Caim staring after her in thought.

((Lol. You should have pestered me sooner. I was busy but didn't realize I was so long away or I would have MADE time. Sorry.))

"Thanks for the nice offer, Moonshine, but you are right. I better show Eli around myself."

Tegan had the sneaking suspicion letting Moonshine do it would have the same result as asking Cizzur. Utter disaster. Neither was a people person as evidenced by the less than warm feelings Eli had for Moonshine right now.

"The professor prides herself on being fair-minded and professional. I can attest to the fact that she's neither, but our troubles have to do with a personal animosity that begins with the arguments she has with my uncle - who happens to be the dean of this place.

I think she'll treat you politly, if only to prove herself to her students. How cooperative she'll be I can't guess. But you better not mention that I am the one who pointed you in her direction."

Edited by Laura-Lana

Eli couldn't see what was so funny about throwing people off a cliff. One of the things he had never understood about his father was his sense of humour, and whenever someone exhibited a similar one he felt deeply uncomfortable. Right and wrong were things Eli had had to learn on his own and only really started to understand the differences shortly before he was sent to Fell Haven. He wondered if other people had such difficulties.

Tegan volunteered to show Eli around and help him find Professor Airth. When he requested that Eli did not mention that it was Tegan's idea he seek her out he nodded in agreement.

"No problem. Whereabous will we find her?"

"Technically she should be in the registry around this time of the day. But my guess would be that she's in the Department for Supernatural Research with some of her students.

I suggest we or rather you try DSR first. If we go to the registry we are likely to run into Mr. MacIntyre."

"We'll come along." Moira decided. "Melodee wants to see something of the univeristy and trecking to the DSR is a good place to start."

Edited by Laura-Lana

"Okay."

Eli looked around at the buildings of the University. He'd never been inside many of them, murder not usually taking place here, so he had no idea where the DSR department was. It was just as well Tegan was helping him.

~~~

Caim left the market and with his bags of grocerys began to head back towards the apartment. As he reached the block he became aware that he was being watched, even though he couldn't see anyone around. He'd have to start keeping a much closer eye on Eli. With this killer roaming around it was too risky to let him wander around on his own.

((I am surprised he didn't ask why it wouldn't be good to meet Mr. MacIntryre. On the other hand the reason is kind of obvious.))

Tegan considered Eli's okay a general agreememt covering both the plan as well as Melodee and Moira coming along.

He glanced at Melodee and raised a brow. "Guess I am supposed to be not only guide but sight seeing tour guide then?"

Tegan shrugged, straigtened and pointed at the towerlike structure that was visible behind the half circle of buildings in front of them.

"This ladies and gentleman, is the economy tower. So called because, surprisingly, it's the building where economics are taught on this exalted academy.

The economy tower has great importance for us, because it shows us that we currently face in the wrong direction."

With a theatrical whirl Tegan turned 180° around.

"We can now see in front of us the Student Registry another building we want to avoid. To the left of the registry is the Cafeteria, were most of us came from. The other buildings are apartments for the students. Moira and Melodee should feel familar with them because they live in one.

As fascinating as this all is, I believe it's now time to move on. If you'd please follow me."

Tegan turned away from the apartments and lead them back in the direction of the Caffeteria. The sunlight caught in the window of one of the aparments turning it temporarily into a mirror. A very careful observer might have noticed the light blue eyes appearing on the surface of the window which seemed to stare after the unlikly group.

Edited by Laura-Lana

((As I've said before, Eli isn't the most perceptive of people. Unless it involves death in some way he'll most likely not pick up on things xd.png))

Eli began to walk after Tegan, trying to show a polite interest in what the other boy was talking about. He was busy trying to think how he should approach this Professor Airth. From what Tegan had said she didn't sound like the most welcoming of people. How would she react to a Necromancer? A Necromancer with his publicity? He twitched his fingers slightly and felt a spirit slide down his arm and into his hand, invisible to the others. He would keep this one on hand, just in case anyone tried to throw something at him.

((How much would Professor Airth know about Eli?))

(I am watching, I just don't have anything to add realy to the plot atm. 'Moonshine followed, causing a distration from the plotline she could save for later')

((That is what I wanted to ask you wink.gif. How much could she reasonably know about him? He's sure to interest her. Necromants aren't a dime a dozen and she'd probably have read up what there is to be read about Necromancers in general. Do you want to RP Professor Airth yourself?

And Eli better pay more attention or he'll have trouble navigating the academy later.))

After they had passed the caffeteria they were faced with a vast complex of buildings.

"This my honoured audience is the Department of Sports and History. Kindly don't ask me what one has to do with the other. I've no idea. Except that.."

Tegan suddenly fell quiet and cleared his throat. He had planned to say that there were pretty female students found in both. But Moonshine wasn't THAT far away.

They passed the complex and Tegan pointed to a distant building to the left of the Sports and History complex.

"And there you can see the golden grail of our journey. The Department of Supernatural Research, called DSR by anyone who doesn't want to tie knots in their tounges.

You should reach it within twenty minutes or so if you walk briskly. But I fear I'll stay here. As I said before I am not very welcome there.

One word of advice before you go - if something explodes, duck!"

The angle was wrong to mirrorify one of the windows of the department of Sports and History, but one of the training rooms held genuine mirrors. Now blue eyes appeared in one of them, despite the fact that no one was looking into it.

Edited by Laura-Lana

((She can know whatever you want her to, but I'd prefer it if someone else RP'd her to avoid the whole 'talking to myself' thing. I get bored with that lol.))

Eli looked in the direction that Tegan was pointing and nodded. Hopefully Airth would be inside and save him from searching the whole campus for her. He turned to Tegan, gave his thanks for the guidence and goodbye to him, Moira and Melodee and then set off towards the distance building.

Walking quickly as Tegan had suggested it didn't take long for Eli to reach the DSR building. He opened the door and looked inside, seeing nothing but a desk, some chairs and a drinks machine in the foyer. He didn't think it would be a good idea to just wander about until he bumped into someone, so he walked over to the desk and looked for a buzzer of some kind.

((Me too, but I figured I better ask.))

The door opened and a young man ducked through it. He was almost two meter tall but too thin for that hight. His dark hair looked dishelved and one button in his shirt was in the wrong hole.

His eyes were a bright, intense green like one imagined faeries might have, but the effect was spoiled a little by the purple bruise under the left one and the look of absence in them as if he was lost in thought.

Said impression might be corrobated by the fact that he almost ran into Eli, before he noticed him.

"Ohh! Sorry. I didn't jolt you, did I?" He blinked obviously trying to place Eli and failing. "Can I help you with something? Oh, I am Lysin Hex by the way. I don't think we've met?" The last was phrased like a question, betraying the student wasn't quite sure if he was correct and would have liked to give no offence if they had met before.

Edited by Laura-Lana

The man that appeared before Eli could reach the buzzer didn't look as though he was currently in this world. In fact he didn't seem to notice Eli at all until he nearly walked into him. The man apologised and introduced himself as Lysin Hex.

"I don't believe we have" replied Eli to Lysin's last question. "I'm not a student. I'm looking for Professer Airth though. Do you have any idea where she is?"

He decided against giving his own name for the moment. He didn't want to cause a panic before he had a chance to talk to anyone.

"You aren't? I am. A student I mean. I study mathematics." Lysin looked surprised. "You are fairly young for a professor."

He didn't give Eli a chance to correct that impression because he kept talking right away. He turned back toward the door and motioned for Eli to follow him.

"Well come along then. Professor Airth is in the machine room. There is this new machine... I think it measures powerlevels or something. Anyway a bolt loosened the day before yesterday which would have caused a lot of trouble if she hadn't noticed, so now she keeps double checking or triple checking anytime she wants to use one of them."

He paused in front of another door, opened it and reveled a room full of students standing around a strange looking apparatus under which someone in a labcoat lay, obviously inspecting the underside.

"Salomee!" Lysin Hex called. "A visitor for you!"

The professor emerged from the apparatus and wiped a speck of dust from her glasses. She studied Eli like an exotic insect that had landed in front of her for a moment.

"Mr. Eli, if I don't miss my guess." she said calmly. "What brings you here?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

"I'm not a..."

But Lysin was already wandering off, still talking and indicating that Eli should follow him. When he mentioned a machine of some sorts Eli felt a tiny amount of dread. It wasn't that he disliked machines, but he didn't tend to do well with any technical or scientific. When he had studied at Fell Haven he had, after a while, been banned from the chemistry classes. Although the teacher had been his favourite and the two had become pretty close, it was done so out of safety for both himself, the other students and the building its self. Even now, nobody had an explaination on how he had managed to blow out the windows with a beaker of saltwater and a pencil.

When Lysin opened a door and revealed the people and the mentioned machine beyond Eli hung back a little bit. Hopefully Airth would come out into the corridor to him, rather than him being invited inside.

Professor Airth pulled herself from under the machine she was working on and regarded Eli carefully. When she asked what he wanted Eli opted for honesty.

"I wanted to talk to you about the recent murders of supers within the city."

Edited by Fortune86

((Guess I shouldn't have edited my post to speed things up. Do you want me to edit again?))

"Eli?" Marco hissed. "As in that necromant?"

Lysin gave Eli an uncomfortable look, but then straightend. "Remember what the professor keeps telling us, Marco. It's not the powers that makes one evil or villain, it's how one uses them."

"Yes, but..."

"Silence!" Professor Airth demanded. "I'd appricate it if the two of you stopped talking as if we weren't in the room." Her frown ceased a bit. "But Lysin is right. The power someone has doesn't define their character, what they do with them is."

She took a deep breath. "You'll have to excuse me. I get the impression Mr. Eli wants a serious conversation and that's going to be impossible while half of you act like frightened hens. Tommy Freeze?"

"Here.", another young man spoke up. This one was looking like an albino only with grey eyes instead of red.

"The Gaugetor seems to be in working order. I am placing you in charge of getting the data of everyone and compare it with the readings we got yesterday. Can you do that?"

"No problem Professor Airth"

"Don't leave with him." Marco protested. "How can you know this isn't a trick to get you alone?"

Professor Airth gave him a withering stare. "Because I am a mindreader, Marco."

She nudged Eli out of the room and closed the door behind them firmly.

"I apologize for my students. I have taught them better. Oh and by the way it was a good decision to tell the truth. I hate liars."

((I am totally willing to edit if you want Eli to intervene earlier))

Eli was quite willing, if not entirely happy, to wait while people spoke around him as though he wasn't there. He had gotten quite used to it since he arrived in New Mansburg, although it did somewhat irk him that people thought he was a bogey monster that would go away if you ignored him. It wasn't until Airth pointed out to one of her students that she was mindreader that he showed any reaction, but that was because he was trying to shuffle out of his head all of those thoughts that jump to mind when you don't want to be thinking them, or worse, want someone else to know about.

When Airth was alone with him in the corridor he gave a small but understanding smile.

"I often find that the truth will come out sooner or later anyway, especially as I am a terrible liar. Why cause future problems by deceiving people?"

((How powerful is Airth's mind reading? Would she be able to tell if someone wasn't alone in their head?))

((Um...Tegan isn't there. Eli left him behind and entered the building by himself.))

((She is very powerful, but also very focused. Therefore she'd only notice if she searched for that particular problem. For example Paul MacInyre has a genuinely split personality and she never noticed that despite working together with him closely. She had never supspected it because his alter ego only manifests as his mirror image, so there was no change in behaviour. She hasn't noticed anything wrong with Tommy Freeze either, despite the fact that there would be a lot to notice, but he's good at misdirection with his thoughts.

Trying to hide a lot of things at once is actually a good strategy to make sure she doesn't get anything but jumble. He has to focus on something before it makes sense to her.

Last but not least - She wouldn't have gotten that Eli had wondered if he should tell her the truth or not if she hadn't consciously decided to read his thoughts right then either. Appearances to the contrary Lysin is a lot more willing to overlook that Eli is a necromant than she is.))

"I really wish more people would have that mindset. A truthful person has nothing to fear at all from a mindreader. But I've noticed an amazing number of people starting to avoid me once they find out what I can do." She gave Eli a loopsided smile. "Something we have in common, I'd wager."

She lead them to a little office that was full with books including the armchair behind the desk. Professor Airth simply sat down on the edge of the desk and motioned toward the wicker chair that stood in front of it.

"Sit down. And then tell me why you came to me to talk about the murders."