Fortune86

Fell Haven 2

(tongue.gif I wanna control the teacher that dislikes Tegan.)

Suddenly a slam resounded from the door, followed by it opening and a student falling out a second later. Her name was Fran, and she was a clumsy student if there ever was one. She stood up and closed the dor behind her before shaking her head and then walking toward Professor Airth. She sniffed "They kicked me out again. S'not my fault the glass suddenly cracked for no aparent reason. I mean come on all I did was touch it slightly. No not even that all I did was breathe on it." She glanced toward the newcomers, and her face broke out into a shine. "Tegan! Have you come to let me test your owers? I need a blood sample, a urine sample, and a hair sample, oh and if you could manage it I want a barf sample too" She smiled exitedly. She pulled a box of stuff from behind her back and brought out a needle, and began approaching. "now hold still, I'll make sure to leave at leat a litre in your bloodstream."

((Sorry. I didn't see that post until I posted. Anyways Fortune is right. Tegan is back at the history and sports complex which is 20 minutes from the DSR.

And why do I begin to worry when you say you want to control 'the teacher that dislikes Tegan' ? ))

Edited by Laura-Lana

(I guess I can change it to the necromancer and do a moonshine post. But I gotta go to bed anyway so I'll let you two go for now.)

((*Trys to imagine Eli being assaulted by an overeager student.* Poor Eli. Good thing you are tired already. He'd probably summon something horrible in panic. Sweet dreams, Ware!))

((I was just asking because Eli, alas, will never be able to really escape from his father. Having someone pick up that Zygard still has some control over Eli will most likely destroy any goodwill towards him he has managed to build up and end either with him being arrested or killed on the spot.

Eli still can not deal with girls. Night Ware.))

Eli followed Airth and took a seat in the wicker chair she indicated. Settling down he put his hands in his lap and focused intently on the Professor.

"You were on TV at Samantha Edgekins funeral. You mentioned that you and your department were working on tracking down the killer. I've come to the conclusion that the killer is targeting supers which he sees on the television. Combined with any knowledge of your own abilities, I believe this may put you and your department at risk."

((Since she doesn't know about Zygard I don't see why she should search for a lingering connection))

Despite the fact that it was somewhat unethical Salomee Airth stayed firmly in Eli's head while he gave his little speech.

His words and the images that came with them alarmed her somewhat, but she did not doubt his sincerity.

"Very perceptive of you. Well, as it happens we ARE trying our best to find the killer, so the possibility that he might come after one of us has occured to me before and I've taken as many security measures as I could. If they'll proove useful is a different question.

There is a certain signature about those murders. When a super dies a certain residentual supernatural energy should linger around the body for a while. In the case of those murdervictims it doesn't. We are trying to find references for that in the history records. Unfortunately the study of supernatural research is relatively young, so we are chasing down mostly rumors and legends."

Professor Airth put her fingertips against each other. "Nevertheless had you come with your information about the TV appearances sooner, I might have decided against speaking up. Then again maybe not. I refuse to be blackmailed by a murder into silence.

But it is a bit late to wonder about that now. It has happened already."

Edited by Laura-Lana

"I apologise for not coming forward sooner" said Eli. "But the revelation of how the killer is picking his, or her, targets only occurred today."

"And with all due respect Professor, there is nothing 'supernatural' about the echoes left behind by living creatures when they die. It's an event that is subject to the laws of nature and is no more dark or mysterious than the moon. It's only our understanding of it that confuses people."

He gave Airth a wry smile.

"I hope you don't mind my correcting you, but I prefer it when people get such things right. People keep throwing holy water at me for example and all it does is get my clothes wet."

Eli's serious expression returned and he tried to settle back down to business.

"I don't know how long you have been studying such things, but I have been at it my entire life. As you probably know, I have an assistant who is over 400 years old. Between the two of us we have quite the collection of knowledge and I can honestly say that neither of us have come across anything like this before."

He hesitated and wondered just how honest he should be. Then again, people's lives were at stake.

"I believe that this, whatever it is, is something new. Necromancers might be rare but we are out there. We like to share our studies and findings with one another whenever we can, because you never know when you might need information in return. There is nothing, nothing at all, in our records that indicate that this has happened before."

Professor Airth gave him a long, thoughtful look.

"I don't mind being corrected. There can be no progress if one isn't willing to let other people question ones conclusions. However I doubt we are talking about the same phenomen. I can say nothing about those 'echos' you were talking about. I don't study life energy. I study powers.

One of my friends - his name is Paul MacIntyre, but I doubt you've heard of him - can see the nature and intensity of other people powers. He has helped me develop an apparatus which - while it still can't say much about the nature of a supernatural power- can give quite an accurate measurement of it's strength.

It does nothing around people without superpowers, living OR dead. No matter how they died.

It does react to supers though and to my surprise I found that it even picks up superpowers if the super in question is dead, provided the death occured very recently.

I've found this everywhere EXCEPT on the recent murderscenes where I had been invited to give a professional opinion, because the victims were supers."

Professor Airth paused a moment, wondering how Eli had come to his conclusions since she did not remember having seen HIM around those crimescenes or hearing that he had been invited. Then she shoved the thought away, concentrating on more important issues.

"Unfortunately if you are right with your echoes - and I have no reason to doubt your expertise in that regard - my guess would be that the residue of their power was gone because the residue of life energy was gone. And since you said that phenomen is entierly new..."

There was a grim line around her lips.

"This makes matters a lot harder.", she admitted, "There is no connection between the powers of the victims that I could detect. Neither in the way they manifested, nor the strength nor the time when they emerged. Nothing but the fact that all the victims had powers. And now your connection toward TV. But how to fight something if we don't know what it is?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

"That is an unfortunate conundrum" agreed Eli. "It's infuriating that the only way we can seem to learn anything about the killer is when they kill someone and potentially add a new piece to the puzzle. How many lives will be lost before we can find a way to stop them?"

He sat in silence for a moment and thought. In order to stop the killer they needed to learn more about them. Why were they killing supers? And why only targeting ones shown on TV? And why now? Was it something they had always planned to do and only just developed the powers or technology allowing them to kill in such a way, or had something recently triggered it? Was it some grudge against the victims, supers in general or some kind of sick game?

It was annoying to have all these questions and no answers. It was just like when he was a child. He was always being made to do things he didn't at the time understand and when he asked why the answer was always 'your Father said so'. Now once again he was in such a position.

Eli tried to think of other possible people who might hold answers, but like he had told Airth there wasn't anything in Necromancer history that could help and his list of friends was thin. If only there was some way he could get some additional information.

It was at that exact moment when Caim walked through the wall behind Airth, invisible to all but Eli. Seeing his servent appear so unexpectedly made Eli jump, although not enough to embarrass himself and call forth anything he shouldn't.

"I thought you were going to the TV station?" asked Caim, looking around and ignoring Eli's death stare.

Edited by Fortune86

"It's infuriating that the only way we can seem to learn anything about the killer is when they kill someone and potentially add a new piece to the puzzle. How many lives will be lost before we can find a way to stop them?"

Professor Airth leaned back thoughtfully.

"One of my students has visions." She admitted reluctantly. "They come in pictures and symbols to him and most of the time we only understand what he has seen after it has happened already. Still he might be able to hand us a piece before the next murder."

The problem with this approach was that if Ed forced a vision to come it caused him deep agony. It was a lot easier on him if he waited until one presented itself. Unfortunately he hadn't gotten anything of the murders on his own so far.

((Cain is invisible so I am ignoring him))

Giving his attention back to Airth Eli nodded in understanding. Caim merely walked through the Professor and her desk and went and stood by Eli, admiring a picture on Airth's wall.

"Keyhole visions. I think I read about them once, although I admit I can't remember much of the article. Has he seen anything that you have not yet been able to attribute to one of the recent murders? Or anything about the killer?"

"He hasn't seen anything about the murders yet. But I could ask him to ... summon... a vision."

Professor Airth sighed. "I'd have asked him sooner, but ... Normal visions just leave him disoriented for a few moments. If he forces one he'll suffer. I don't like inflicting so much pain on him for so little gain. But since we are at a dead end and there are lives in the balance I see no choice."

((If the ARE going to ask him, will you write the vision, Fortune?))

Eli looked glum. He did not wish to bring any harm to anyone. His own powers if mishandled could be excruciatingly painful and to purposely inflict similar pain on someone else, for whatever reason, felt wrong.

"How do the visions manifest?" he asked. "I mean, do they just randomly appear or do they have something that can trigger them? Like stress or fear?"

"He says if he wants to summon them he has to concentrate hard. To make himself believe that he'll die if he doesn't get to know about something.

The regular visions appear randomly but they seem always about himself or people he cares about. I think that is the reason he hasn't had one about the killings yet. So far none of the victims were people he knew personally. And I'd assume the killer is no one Ed cares about either."

Moonshine watched Tegan walk away for a few moments before her phone rang and she answered it. She followed Tegan at a distance as she answered the phone. That soon stopped and she turned to face the other direction. "What have I told you about ringing in the day? I'm trying to make sure no one finds out" she hissed under her breath. "For Lunch? I can't do that I'm with some friends at the moment." She glanced toward Tegan, hoping he couldn't hear her, or wasn't paying attention to her teltale emotions. She turned away and sighed "Look I love you too, but did you have to this this now? I can't come, I've got plans I told you that this morning in the park." She glanced toward the necromancer and noticed him leaving, she was running out of time. "Fine, I'll be at the Resturant in Ten minutes." She hung up and took a breath to steady her emotions, and then walked toward Tegan with a bored look on her face. "I've got to go, I'll meet up with you later" She turned away and teleported to her house and gave a sigh of relief. She got ready and exactly 10 minutes later she arrived in front of the resturant in the dress she had worn when she had gone out with Tegan that night, and entered the resturant.

(Me: Come on Tegan, tongue.gif Give me some entertainment.)

Edited by warewolves

((And how am I supposed to do that? *sighs but gives it her best try*))

"I've got to go, I'll meet up with you later"

Tegan had caught jumbled feelings that indicated someone was trying to surpress an emotion but he hadn't realized it was Moonshine was behind him until she spoke.

He turned around, intending to grab her shoulder, steal a kiss and maybe learn what she was up to now, but she teleported away before he could touch her.

Tegan sighed and glanced at his watch.

"Ah well. My seminar is starting now anyway. The two of you will excuse me?"

He gave Moira and Melodee a polite nod and hurried toward his seminar room.

The pale blue eyes in the mirror watched Tegan and Moonshine leave and then focused on Moira and Melodee

---

"Cut it rather close, Mr. Larksong, hm?" Professor Denhard said good naturedly when he managed to duck into the room at the last second.

"Good that you are here though. You wouldn't have wanted to miss today."

He turned toward the rest of the students, his face bright, looking forward to his students reaction.

"Today we will have a special guest. You might have heard about Mr. Marksen before. He's a reporter with TV Super and famous for interviewing politicans. You'll be able to ask him all the questions you want. We'll not meet him here though. Grab your things for today our seminar will happen in a conference room booked in the city's most famous restaurant. La Deva."

Edited by Laura-Lana

(tongue.gif That works too.

I've got a good idea for a new character, but for now it can wait.)

Moonshine walked toward the man seated at a table, two years older then her. She smiled plesently and they began to have light conversation. Instead of her normal moody self, it was replaced with a calm but happy personality as she chatted with this man. She was nervous about something too, but the man didn't notice. "Ah, here comes the meal" the man spoke with a plesent voice. Moonshine smiled plesently and thanked him for the meal before begining to eat politely. She paused after swallowing the food. "This is the last time I am at your beck and call, I can't have my friends finding out." The man laughed "Oh Moonie, you never change do you? Alright, next time I will ensure all daytime lunchens are pre-arranged. But that takes the fun out of it." He chuckled, Moonshine following suit with a girlish laugh.

(biggrin.gif I am a horrible person, putting Moonshine through this scenario.

Don't worry, he's not what it looks like xd.png)

Edited by warewolves

((too? It wasn't as if I could have Tegan follow her. She teleported away. What exactly did you imagine?))

After a lot of jubilation the students followed Professor Denhard and soon after that they had reached the fancy restaurant.

Professor Denhard reminded them sharply to be on their best behaviour and then they were walking through the dining hall.

Some had been never here before and looked around curiously.

"Hey Tegan", a girl named Georgina poked him into the rips. "Isn't that your Moonshine?"

Tegan turned his head to look in the direction Georgina had indicated and froze. It was indeed Moonshine in the dress she had worn for their date, smiling pleasantly and leaning toward another man.

Tegan tried to read her emotions but his receptive empathy decided to use that moment to shut down completly so he had to rely on what he saw.

"Tegan?"

"She looks very similar, but Moonshine isn't one for fancy restaurants." Tegan heard himself say with a calm he didn't feel. He followed the others into the conference room, feeling as if something in his heart had frozen.

"So it's like a defense mechanism?" said Eli thoughtfully. "If the vision is forced without his knowledge, say a jump scare by another party, will it still hurt him?"

((Short post is short. Sorry))

(Doesn't matter)

Moonshine was soon finished with the man as he got a call and sighed sadly. "Sorry Moonie, I guess my friends are calling too. Should I ignore them?" he asked her, putting his elbows on the table and resting his head on his hands and looking directly at her. She smiled and chuckled again "now that would be rude. You better go, after all you don't want them coming looking do you?" He chuckled and stood up, putting the chair away and leaving the money for the food on the table. "In that case, I will see you later Moonie. Do you want me to bring-" she cut him off with a wave. "No thanks, I think we don't need to go into detail about why again." He chuckled, and with a wave departed. She watched him go, and then continued eating her meal absentmindedly.

((You'll get a short post in return, sorry))

"A defensive mechanism, yes. That is a good way to describe it. And yes if someone else forces the vision on him it will still hurt him. I think the difference is that he unconsciously keeps readying himself to receive messages about the people he cares about. Like building canals for water. If it comes it flows through them harmlessly. But if he gets a flood were there are no canals the water becomes destructive."

Eli folded his hands under his chin and rested his elbows on his knees as he thought. So the only way they could get a vision out of this student was to cause him harm? The received vision might not even contain anything about the killer or one of their victims. He wasn't going to hurt somebody on a off chance, not matter how well intentioned.

"We should leave him be then" he concluded out loud standing up. "Thank you for sparing me a few moments of your time Professor. And please be careful."

He was about to leave when a thought struck him and he turned back.

"One other thing that ties the victims together. They were all alone when they were attacked. Perhaps you could instruct your students to stay in groups at night, which seems to be the preferred time of striking for the killer. If they are targeted, perhaps the presence of another person will dissuade the killer."

((I see it now. Thanks, Ware))

Professor Airth raised a brow. "That is not your decision to make, Eli, it's mine. And I have decided that since there is no other trace to follow I have no choice but ask Ed if he is willing to help. If he agrees or not is Ed's choice. You can only decide if you want to be informed of the results or not."

She rose and opened the door for him as he wanted to leave.

"I am very rarely alone. This might be the reason that I haven't been attacked yet. But there is one other person you should warn to stay in company."

Distaste twisted her features. "Samantha had a protegee. A boy named Tegan Larksong. He spoke during her funeral too and like Samantha he's an empath. He's a disgrace to Supers all over the world but not even he deserves to be slaughtered."

---

The seminar ended eventually. Tegan hardly remembered what they had spoken about. He deliberatly lingered until he was the last in the conference room.

As he left the room the others had already left the whole restaurant.

Tegan looked over to Moonshine's table and saw that she was alone now.

He sat down on the chair facing her. His face was carefully neutral.

"How is your food, Moonshine?"

A nearbe waitress turned around and looked at him expectantly.

"I'll have a glas of Lauquen, please."

The waitress nodded and vanished.

Edited by Laura-Lana

Moonshine blinked out of her thoughts with the voice of an angel interupting. Then she realised it was Tegan. She turned her gaze to him and wondered why he was here. She blinked, coming back to reality as she remembered she was in her 'nice' dress. "Hey Tegan, not really. I hate food like this, too much additives and not enough starch. What are you doing here?" She glanced down to her food and pushed the plate away, and then turned her attention back to Tegan.

(Sorry when I thought of that line I HAD to say it xd.png)

"Our professor moved the seminar here. And you? Why are you sitting here when you don't even like the food?" His voice sounded much more casual than he was feeling.

"Oh thank you. No food, please. I just had breakfirst."

The waitress had come and brought him his drink. It was just bubble water, but at 30 dollar a glas it was more expensive than many wines.

Edited by Laura-Lana