Packgoater

Junkyard Dogs

Soldier trotted around, scenting the air for food. She smelled somthing, and began to fallow the path she scented it down. The scent was getting stronger and stronger the farther she went. She came to were the scent was, a small hole. She inhaled... "racoons." She said to herself. She began to dig. inside were three racoons, a mother and two children. She swiftly killed all of them, and lugged them back to the fountain. When she arived, The kitten was still in her hole. Soldier picked the kitten out of her hole, and dug. She had made a much larger hole in the side of the fountain so that the kitten could have more room. Soldier was not hungrey, so she cut the coons into small chunks and fed them to the kitten one by one. She baried the leftovers for later and layed down outside the hole bordly.

Swift-Eye blinked. The way the dog answered seemed suspicious."Well then.Let's talk." Accidentally biting her paw, she yelped.

"Well, first of all, I was wondering why you were hiding under a bench at this time of night. Secondly, I was wondering about your smell. What pack are you in?" Zara asked innocently. "Oh, and are you okay?" she asked referring to how the dog had just accidentally bitten her own paw.

"No, no. Eat your fill. I already ate," Snips said. When she called him a hero, he took a little bow and replied extravagantly, "I aim to please!" Happy that he could be a help to her, Snips walked over and sat down next to her as she ate. "It sure is a nice night," he stated.

"Fine, I'm fine!" Swift-Eye barked. "The only reason I was hiding was I was trying to sleep! On the other paw, I don't have a pack. Just a dispute between me and a dog from that pack." Swift-Eye lied. Pretending to be hurt, she hopped over to the bench.

Chloe ate the sausage and looked up at the starry night sky. "Yeah, it is." she said, her eyes glistening in the moonlight. She smiled and looked over at Snips. "Thanks for the food, it was delicious." she said and then turned her attention back to the sky. It really was beautiful.

"You are very welcome," Snips said as he sat gazing at the night sky. The cool night breeze felt good as it came sweeping gently down the alley. "Chloe, would you like to stay with us? At least for the night?" he asked. "I really enjoy your company, and you never know, I might need your help keeping an eye on Kaden. He...well let's just say that trouble likes to find him in the form of unknown dogs hanging around Luli."

Chloe looked over at Snips, surprised at what he just asked. Did he ask if she wanted to stay with them? And he enjoyed her company? She smiled embarrasssedly. "Sure, I really enjoy your company too. And I will try as much as I can to help you with Kaden." she said with a wink and turned her attention back to the sky, the breeze gentley ruffling her fur. She sighed happily. This is what she's always wanted.

((PG's on! Lol))

"Good! It's all settled then," Snips said excitedly. "And I know you can help to get Luli to come out of her shell more. It's easier for a girl to help another girl learn to be less shy. I've been trying, but there's only so much I can do. And to be honest, keeping an eye on Kaden and Luli at the same time is like having to play tug-of-war with two bears. It's quite tiresome sometimes." Snips let out a breath of relief. Having Chloe around would be quite enjoyable.

((I see. Lol!))

Chloe nodded. "I'll try my best, and I'll try to keep some of the weight off your shoulders." She said, smiling up at the sky. She liked being around Snips, and she was sure that Kaden and Luli could be quite enjoyable as well. And that Kelley... She wasn't sure about him, but that didn't really matter, there would be time to get to know everybody better. She got up and stretched.

"I kinda want to go on a walk, I'll be right back." she said and trotted towards the street.

"Ok then. May I come? Or do you wish to go on your own?" Snips asked, standing up. He knew that Chloe would be a very nice addition to their little group, if she decided to stay with them for a while. Luli definitely needed another female dog to talk to, and Chloe could give her that. Plus, Snips was interested in Chloe; he hadn't been interested in anyone like that before.

Chloe stopped and turned around. "You can come if you want." she said with a smile. She stood and waited for Snips to catch up with her. It would be nice to have someone to talk too, especially someone like Snips. There was something about him that... Just made her smile, and she liked that.

Excitedly, Snips trotted to catch up with Chloe and followed her out of the alley. Luli and Kaden would have to just fend for themselves right now. Snips was going for a stroll with a pretty lady and he wasn't going to worry about anything right now.

Chloe trotted down the street, looking around at everything. The streets were pretty quiet, but there were still a few people mulling around. She looked over at Snips. "Thanks for coming along." she said happily. She turned her attention back to the street and saw an empty street vendor cart up ahead. She stuck her nose in the air and sniffed. She smiled and looked over at Snips. "Think I should go and take something from over there so we can bring it back for the others?" she said, already getting ready to rush over and grab something.

Kelley sighed. Kaden was certainly not the trusting type. He almost laughed as he saw the little guy courting Chloe. They wouldn't be a bad pair though, no matter the size or age. What really mattered was the personality and theirs seemed fairly compatable. Kelley got up. It seemed that the sun would not be too long coming up, so he nodded to Luli.

"I want to go hunting. I'll be getting something regardless, but it'll be for Kaden. I want to apologize for whatever I did to anger him. Don't let Kaden go out hunting. Detain him or something if you wouldn't mind. I'll get something for you as well," he said, trotting off towards the head of the alleyway. He would find something for Kaden, no matter how long it took. He now galloped, his nose not missing a scent. He finally caught to the scent of a fox. He chased it, his eyes concerned as the sun started to rise. He finally came upon the creature and it leapt away from him, hissing. It then jumped at Kelley, finding it had no options other than this as it was backed into an dead-end. Kelley crushed it's neck, starting to trot back to camp. When he got there he dropped in on the ground in front of Kaden and Luli. He then promptly lay down, preparing to doze.

"I was happy to come along," Snips said. "It's not everyday I get to accompany someone as lovely as yourself." He stopped when Chloe did, noting her upraised muzzle sniffing the air. When she asked him if they should bring something back to the others, Snips chuckled. "They'll be fine on their own for now. Both Luli and Kaden are hunters, and Kelley seems to know how to handle himself as well. If they're hungry, they will be able to hunt for themselves. Why don't we just enjoy the sun rise? I know a nice place downtown to watch it."

Luli giggled to herself as she watched Snips trying to woo Chloe. It's about time he found someone to dote on, she thought to herself. Soon after Snips and Chloe walked out of the alley, Kelley got up and mentioned his desire to go hunting. Luli would've asked to go with him, but he asked her to stay behind and keep Kaden from hunting. She didn't understand. Something was going on between them and she had no idea what it was. Kelley had been nothing but nice to her, and Kaden was acting like Kelley had insulted him deeply. If this kept going on, she was going to have a few strong words with Kaden about his rude attitude. There was untrusting and then there was just mean behavior. And she had no tolerance for the latter, especially coming from her friends. So as Kelley left, Luli strode over to the thrown-out couch cushion she used as a bed and laid down, staring at Kaden only a few inches away on his comforter. He didn't seem to notice her, as he was either asleep or consumed in his own broody world. After a few minutes, Luli began to doze off and soon fell asleep.

Kaden laid on his comforter, watching Luli and Kelley talk and sit together. He was so engrossed in them, that he barely noticed Snips and the other female leave. They sat there for so long that Kaden was on the verge of falling asleep when Kelley finally stood up, said something to Luli, and left. Kaden felt a flicker of relief as he watched the Akita leave until he realized that Luli was coming over to him and had a look on her face that clearly showed that she was not happy, most likely with him. So Kaden pretended to sleep as she laid down on her bed that was next to his. He could feel her eyes on him for a long while, before he heard her low, smooth breathing that he knew meant she was asleep. He lifted his head and looked at the object of his affection, the beautiful all-white husky who had in such a short time, broken down all of his emotional cages and become the center of his world. He laid there, watching over her as she dreamt, for several hours until Kelley returned, carrying a dead fox in his maw. He watched with cold eyes as Kelley dropped the fox in front of him, a clear sign of peace. Kaden just laid there, not moving, when suddenly Luli jumped up, clearly frightened. It must've been the nightmare again. Kaden looked at her with sad eyes.

It was snowing. In the cold night Luli was running, chasing something through the silent forest of her home. No! Something was chasing her. She looked back over her shoulder and felt the terror of something closing in on her. It was so close now. No matter how hard she ran, how fast she willed her legs to go, she was losing speed and the monster was gaining. She didn't know what it was, but she knew that if it got her, she would be doomed. She ran and ran, soon coming upon a frozen lake. Looking around, she saw that the only way she could go was across the vast expanse of ice. The creature was almost upon her! Luli took one step forward and tested the ice. It was only a few inches thick, but solid. Carefully, she started making her way across the lake, trying to stay calm enough to test each step first. She glanced back and saw that a deep blackness had engulfed the trees along the shore. Panicking, she slipped and stumbled, trying to move faster. Then she heard it, clear and loud as a gunshot. CRACK! The ice beneath her gave.

A few hours after Kelley had left, Luli's eyes shot open at the sound of something being dropped in front of her. At first, she didn't realize where she was and stood up quickly. Then she recognized the scent of Kaden and Kelley, and the smell of a freshly killed animal. She let out a sigh. Always the same dream; over and over. So damn tired... Luli sat back down on her cushion and looked at the deceased fox in front of her.

Soldier suddenly felt a chill in her pelt which made her fur raise. 'what if Junckpack don't want to help me becuase my kitten is of the feline species?' Soldier hated the thought, like the great heros would not help her in her small time of need. "I'll call you Dusty, little kitten, you deserve a name." Soldier licked Dusty, who was asleep.

((Shelbell, I made a charrie for you to interact with. The form should be a couple pages back))"Its for you and Kaden. I can do without," the Akita Inu said, his warm-brown eyes fixed solely on Kaden. "I'm sorry," he whispered, walking out of the alleyway. No one seemed to want him and he didn't know why. He continued to walk for a few blocks, his head down along with his ears. Why couldn't he do anything right? Maybe they thought he was annoying, his politeness and all. He sighed. Why did Kaden not like him? Kelley didn't think he had done anything wrong...

Edited by Packgoater

"No Kelley wait!" Luli called after him. She shot Kaden a cold look before saying, "What is with you?! He's done nothing wrong. Stop acting like a rotten pup!" With that, she took off down the alley after Kelley. A few blocks away, Luli caught to Kelley. "Kelley, please don't leave. The fox was really nice. I don't know why Kaden is acting this way," she said, lightly panting.

Kaden watched with relief as Kelley left his alley. He would have been overcome with satisfaction if he hadn't noticed Luli's death stare boring straight into him.

"What is with you?! He's done nothing wrong. Stop acting like a rotten pup!" Luli yelled at him. Kaden's heart sunk as his eyes followed Luli run after Kelley. What have I done? he thought sadly.

"I don't know why, either. I just want him to like me. It seems whatever I do, he'll be displeased. I want to know why he doesn't like me, it puzzles me ever so.," he said, turning to Luli. "It doesn't seem like he has any problem with Chloe. I don't get it. Did I do something to offend him, Luli?" he asked, his chocolate eyes deep with sorrow.

"You did nothing wrong Kelley," Luli sat down and nuzzled his ear lightly before continuing. "Sometimes you can't make everyone like you, I guess." Before she could say another word, she saw Kaden making his way towards them with the fox in his mouth. She sat there with a chilled stare until Kaden spoke. When he apologized, Luli grinned. "See? He appreciates the food. And he apologized!" Luli wagged her tail once.

Kaden looked down at the fox Kelley had brought. She'll be mad at me forever if I don't make things right, he thought. So tearing off a chunk of the carcass, Kaden swallowed it and picked up the rest in his mouth. He quickly followed Luli's scent, his powerful stride carrying him swiftly to her location. Once he had found them, he dropped the remainder of the fox at Kelley's feet. "Kelley," Kaden wanted to choke on his words. "Thank...you...for the food. I...ahem, I'm sorry I've been acting so cruel towards you. It was rude of me."

"It's quite alright. I just didn't want you to be mad at me. And you can have it, that's why I caught it you know. I'll catch something else later," he said, relief flooding his eyes. He wagged his tail happily. Finally everything was alright. For once. He nodded to the wolf-dog, smiling as he did so. Everything was alright. He fell in line with the other two dogs, following the quickest shortcut to camp. He knew the streets better than he knew himself. The streets were his life. His home.

((Woohoo for future confrontations! lol))

Kaden just shrugged and at the rest of the fox. As they walked back down the street, Luli moved in close and whispered,"You better be glad you made it right. I was this close to ripping your left ear off." Satisfied she had made her point, Luli sped up her pace slightly. Kaden just sadly fell behind Luli as she followed Kelley back to their alley.

Chloe looked at Snips and smiled. "That would be great. Lead the way." she said excitedly. She had never watched the sunset with somebody before, and since it is Snips who she would be watching it with, it would be even better.

Snips took Chloe down several streets and alleyways, his excited pace never struggling to stay ahead of her. Finally, they made it to his favorite spot to watch the sun and moon. It was an old, abandoned construction site. The humans could not resume building on the area because a sink hole prevented any significant weight to be constructed in the area. And the city's officials had deemed the site too dangerous to move any of the old equipment due to several incidents resulting in severe injuries to the workers. So the construction equipment and scaffolding and all the like had just been left there with the entire area fenced off from the rest of the city. But, just like the site, the fence was old and battered and so had many holes and gaps animals could get through. Snips ducked through one such hole and waited for Chloe to follow. Then he led her up a short series of scaffolding planks on the edge of the sink hole to the top, which was open to the sky. "Here we are. Isn't it wonderful?" Snips smiled at Chloe.