sharlykng

Hatchlings OoC Thread

I have begun expanding on my character a lot since starting, so I'll add in a few details where there are visible holes to his back story.

So Balthan was born to two very popular guardian dragons. They were loved by all of the nearby villages, and were very happy. After birthing the egg they decided to settle down in a cave that overlooked the valley that they lived in. All was well until a nearby war threatened the villages they protected. Leaving the egg in the charge of a younger dragon they set off to protect their charges, they left a scroll telling Balthan of his lineage just in case. They never returned. Meanwhile the egg began to show signs of hatching, but the parents hadn't come back yet. Alarmed the dragon who was caring for Balthan's egg decided to move it to his parents home near a river. As he was moving it another dragon attacked him as he crossed it's territory. The resulting battle left the dragon limping and in serious need of medical attention. He never got the help he needed. He managed to reach the ground in time to save Balthan's egg but died shortly after covering it to keep the egg warm. The only thing he had was the scroll. From it he learned to speak and took up residence in the forest were he was born.

That's pretty much the life of Balthan so far.

Had to do this manually other wise it would give me flood control.

Any way a little sub plot is in action now that me and Ryujin13 talked over by PM.

Chess Tyrant if any thing we need another evil one. Crusher only has 2 now but he would still lose badly if he assaulted then right now.

@Dusset, Scuta may be able to join if he stays with Balthan. You'll find out why when you read my post in the story thread.

What level of power, or which is better? Adult necromancer? Hatchling who joins the good guys as an infiltrator? D&D warlock equivalent, a hatchling granted great power by mighty entities in exchange for a debt/favor/service they will be collecting on later?

A.t.m. we have 4 baddies.

Jink Usque (adult):

Scuta Usque's older brother, will generally kill anyone associated with Scuta.

Crusher (hatchling):

Kind of like a Jr. Tyrant, has 2 minions.

Fury(hatchling):

Crusher's minion, young but violent.

Zegonor (hatchling

Crusher's other minion, undead, regeneration, combat? Out of a scale on 1-5 he's like a 2.

Jink is currently off on the fringe of the forest and desert with an ochedrake, as she's not associated with his brother, he's benevolent to her. Lato Dato (player controlling the ochedrake) is away so Jink is kind of 'frozen' in time i suppose untill her return.

Crusher & co are in his part of the forest.

Another adult would be greatly appreciated as Jink is a fairly small adult and couldn't take Krashath ((atm the only good adult, Scuta would be but he's frozen)) alone.

If you make one, and get accepted...

THEN I PUT MY FOOT DOWN RIGHT HERE. Any more other than Chess Tyrant's would overload out RP!

@LLD, sry I think I don't follow, what could Scuta get into?

Edited by Dusset

^ i'm kind of confused... You want another bad dragon thats an adult but you don't?

Dusset I met that if Scuta hangs around Balthan around the right time he will get another chance to fight Crusher. But thats it that I'm giving for spoilers.

What? Oh...

I think were misunderstanding each other. See, I want another evil adult, but I want that to be the last accepted application, as we have so many members. already, you two new guys (you and iceheart), missed out conversation about member limit (i think) I suggested this big whole complicated plan, but it boiled down to, accept 3 more members, and thats it. It was never really said 'yes we'll use that one' but i think anymore than what we have + 1 more is too many.

short version:

One more member gets accepted, end of story really.

What i want is for the last one member to have a evil adult.

Are we clear? I think is over-explained and prbly sounded redundant. =/

Oh I read that post. I would prefer to not play another character but if we need one I can be an evil dude

If chess Tyrant makes one, then your fine.

@Chess Tyrant, you wanted an archetype right? I'd say something along the lines of an evil freelancer. Like an independent force all on it's own. Then we have three points of evil.

Hm. A freelancer works, but he has to be willing to interact with the other characters, both good and evil...

How powerful can he be relative to other characters? I'd like to use a dracolich, but the ressurection thing might make him way too strong.

Try to avoid major powers like that one, I think the only major powers in play right now are: fire manipulation, and hyper speed, but yea, sounds fine,

With the attitude to other players:

I hate to use Jink as an example again, but he's perfectly fine with most dragons, as long as they aren't associated with his younger brother.

If he's going to be evil, but interact with the good guys, then he's going to need some kind of angle, like a mercenary does his jobs fro money, payment is his angle. Some kind of personal gain and overall plan totake advantage of the good guys.

Note:

I think I type to fast for my own good.

Try to avoid major powers like that one, I think the only major powers in play right now are: fire manipulation, and hyper speed, but yea, sounds fine,

Not sure if this is a yes or a no, but I don't think the character is too viable anyhow. The only possible endpoint to his plans would be domination of reality, and that just wouldn't fit - back to the drawing board...

It was more of a: "Come up with another power" =P

Certain archetypes have certain problems interacting with good/bad guys.

Well, that's what liches do - to become a lich, you bind your soul into a container (a phylactery) and if you die, you reform next to the phylactery in 1d10 days. But it raises certain complications I'd rather not bother with, not to mention making it really hard to kill a character.

Edit: a lich makes a great evil mastermind, and that's another archetype I'm hesitant to create - I'd be stealing the position from Crusher. I could play an adult who helps Crusher make a bid for power, though.

Edited by Chess Tyrant

hmm, maybe we don't need so much a powerhouse as a "mover and a shaker" what I mean is we kind of need a dark lord of mordor, not a darth vader. So while the bad guy is super powerful, he never really excersizes that power and instead relies on pawns.

Edited by Ryujin13

This will probably need to be changed around a bit, since the concept of a dracolisk is a bit iffy, and I still don't want to overshadow all the other characters.

Username: Chess Tyrant

Name: Thrymzen

Type/Breed: dracolich (zombie)- previously a white dragon

Power: in a macabre perversion of a white's traditional powers, Thrymzen uses what was once a healing skill to return a vestige of life to slain creatures, creating abhorrent undead that serve him as minions. Since it is a twisted form of healing, the soul of the reanimated creature is still present - they are trapped in a nightmare state, tormented by loss of life, yet unable to truly die.

Otherwise, Thrymzen has limited power. His physical form is decrepit and relatively easy to destroy. Unlike a living white, he can command some degree of offensive magic, but he relies on undead minions for protection in combat.

Job: evil overlord.

Personality: truly evil. Thrymzen quests after ever-growing power and delights in torment and trickery. Beginning intelligent and cunning, his transformation into a lich drove him mad. He cares little for his undead slaves, and will gladly sacrifice them to avoid combat himself.

Appearance: can magically disguise himself to appear as a frail, thin and vaguely ghastly white dragon - a shadow of his former shape. In truth, he is a hideous skeleton; shriveled strands of long-dead flesh cling to his bones, and an aura of decay surrounds him. His wings barely function, and he needs to use magic to keep himself aloft. Regardless of how he appears, his eyes are a radiant blue and he does not breath.

Age/Stage: undead adult.

Extra: when he became a dracolich, Thrymzen's soul was stored inside a magical container called a phylactery. (He didn't do this to himself.) If his body is destroyed, it reforms near the phylactery after a period of weeks or months. If the phylactery is destroyed, he can be truly killed. (If one had extensive knowledge of such magic, it might also be possible to use the phylactery to kill him without confronting him directly.)

-Undead minions: these are not true undead; they are animated by their own souls, through a perversion of the healing powers Thrymzen once possessed. They don't gain any resistance to damage or wounds and die just as quickly, but their immunity to pain and fear makes them more persistent than living dragons - they will carry on until destroyed. To create a minion, Thrymzen must be present as the dragon dies - he cannot reanimate corpses.

...This will probably need some serious changes for the sake of balance. Suggestions?

A picture of a dracolich

Edited by Chess Tyrant

First off the I really like this idea. It fits nicely into whats going on and will make a great addition to the story. As you said you will have to be careful not to overshadow the other badies but since he doesnt like to fight this shouldnt be to much of a problem. I think the handicaps you put on his powers are well thought out and balance. Overall i think its a very good character for the game.

This will probably need to be changed around a bit, since the concept of a dracolisk is a bit iffy, and I still don't want to overshadow all the other characters.

Username: Chess Tyrant

Name: Thrymzen

Type/Breed: dracolich - previously a white dragon

Power: in a macabre perversion of a white's traditional powers, Thrymzen uses what was once a healing skill to return a vestige of life to slain creatures, creating abhorrent undead that serve him as minions. Since it is a twisted form of healing, the soul of the reanimated creature is still present - they are trapped in a nightmare state, tormented by loss of life, yet unable to truly die.

Otherwise, Thrymzen has limited power. His physical form is decrepit and relatively easy to destroy. Unlike a living white, he can command some degree of offensive magic, but he relies on undead minions for protection in combat.

Job: evil overlord.

Personality: truly evil. Thrymzen quests after ever-growing power and delights in torment and trickery. Beginning intelligent and cunning, his transformation into a lich drove him mad. He cares little for his undead slaves, and will gladly sacrifice them to avoid combat himself.

Appearance: can magically disguise himself to appear as a frail, thin and vaguely ghastly white dragon - a shadow of his former shape. In truth, he is a hideous skeleton; shriveled strands of long-dead flesh cling to his bones, and an aura of decay surrounds him. His wings barely function, and he needs to use magic to keep himself aloft. Regardless of how he appears, his eyes are a radiant blue and he does not breath.

Age/Stage: undead adult.

Extra: when he became a dracolich, Thrymzen's soul was stored inside a magical container called a phylactery. (He didn't do this to himself.) If his body is destroyed, it reforms near the phylactery after a period of weeks or months. If the phylactery is destroyed, he can be truly killed. (If one had extensive knowledge of such magic, it might also be possible to use the phylactery to kill him without confronting him directly.)

-Undead minions: these are not true undead; they are animated by their own souls, through a perversion of the healing powers Thrymzen once possessed. They don't gain any resistance to damage or wounds and die just as quickly, but their immunity to pain and fear makes them more persistent than living dragons - they will carry on until destroyed. To create a minion, Thrymzen must be present as the dragon dies - he cannot reanimate corpses.

...This will probably need some serious changes for the sake of balance. Suggestions?

A picture of a dracolich

Uhh.. so basically he was a white dragon turned zombie... right? You just have to put zombie, since that's what you described and the rule of having to use DC dragons... Change that and you're accepted!

Aright... I still don't know how viable a character he is, since a Dark Lord of Mordor will invariably end up stealing screen time from your current evil characters.

The only real competition a undead adult had are the other two adults on the story ((active ppl!)) and since there's one on each side, you could play it like a conspiracy! Idk how =/

See I don't think he will take up as much time as you think. it's all about how many posts u put down. If you try and limit the character then he won't take up much time at all.

I think Zegonor will really look up to this new character,first time hes ever seen a zombie other than himself

Should be good. Thrymzen begins by landing on the mountain in the desert and surveys nearby territory. He's disguised as a white dragon right now, and unless interrupted, flies towards the forest.

Edit: do I just start RPing in the Hatchlings thread? Do I need to post my application/character/anything else there?

Edited by Chess Tyrant